Melee is the biggest waste of a stat!

IDNeon

On 3/16/2016 at 8:56 AM, IDNeon said:

You're right, you don't need melee, but we don't have dinosaurs either.  Welcome to Official Servers, where Alphas wipe out everyone.

But that's beside the point, I don't like to "mount", I like to be on foot, it's more challenging than a mount.

You want the challenge of mountless combat then complain about the difficulty of having it be viable.

Make up your mind.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/16/2016 at 8:53 AM, IDNeon said:

Seriously never waste points in melee, it's too expensive to use at higher level and gives you no benefit through out the entire game.  And I compared my ~300% melee character to a 100% melee character and they harvest within +/- 1 or 2 resources.  So it doesn't even modify resource gathering that much.

If you like to waste your resources on repairing armors, go melee...

If you want to wreck things, get a bow/crossbow and forget the pike/sword.

Wow, I'm shocked how many comments this post has now LOL.  I'd say early on Melee is important but later in the game it's not.  The good thing is later in the game you also have the ability to create a Mind Wipe tonic which kinda makes this whole debate pointless LOL

Really? "Wasted?" what about caves? and with my JM sword and 300% melee I can 2-3 shot a rex. It all really depends how you want to play. In caves you do not get dinos. There is no way to amp gun damage, so unless you need food or speed, weight hp and melee are all you need. Then you carry in water, and health tonics, spare armor etc. and I hit for 700. Or, i could burn metal very quickly and hit less than just using melee. I don't use it for harvesting, but it helps a lot in some caves.

I feel like the examples here are kinda extreme. If you have an ascendant sword and 400% melee, of course you are going to do great damage. But it also means you invest half your points in one (imo very situational) stat and you will end up with poop HP/weight

A shotgun serves the same purpose with no stat investment, and can OHKO most players in 90% of cases at a safer range.

Melee is not the worst stat, food for example is far worse, but i feel like the trade off is not worth it, especially when considering firearms

• Volunteer Moderator

300% wow... i sit at like 125 and love knocking ppl out. I don't think I would go much higher. I can see why a 300% might seem a bit crazy to do. But it's all how u make your character as a whole. Some builds are crap some are great. It's your play style finding the right balance imo... that's why there is mindwipe finding the right balance.

On Wed Mar 16 2016 at 0:07 PM, IDNeon said:

Easy yes, not when you have to do it every 10 minutes.  Which, again you must not be playing official server or something.  Because that's exactly how often I'd have to repair my flak.

By the way, melee dmg is worthless in PvP.

Not entirely, can mean the difference between 1 extra swing to knock someone out..

18 hours ago, SteveBoss said:

Really? "Wasted?" what about caves? and with my JM sword and 300% melee I can 2-3 shot a rex. It all really depends how you want to play. In caves you do not get dinos. There is no way to amp gun damage, so unless you need food or speed, weight hp and melee are all you need. Then you carry in water, and health tonics, spare armor etc. and I hit for 700. Or, i could burn metal very quickly and hit less than just using melee. I don't use it for harvesting, but it helps a lot in some caves.

Melee is very good for caves,  unless you run shield carriers with ranged behind (add vultures/other shoulder mounts for added benefits).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived