Melee is the biggest waste of a stat!

IDNeon

51 minutes ago, Gluttonist said:

No. nononononononono. no.

I am a builder. I hate being encumbered while only carting a couple of things. (I can carry 5 stacks of stone) I dive for drops in the ocean.( Over 50 fortitude) I spend a tremendous time in the snow biome. I am always going to be a squishy human. I have Dinos for fighting. I did put some into stamina and movement speed for on-foot escaping. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Engraverwilliam said:

I am a builder. I hate being encumbered while only carting a couple of things. (I can carry 5 stacks of stone) I dive for drops in the ocean.( Over 50 fortitude) I spend a tremendous time in the snow biome. I am always going to be a squishy human. I have Dinos for fighting. I did put some into stamina and movement speed for on-foot escaping.

Right, I understand this, but for every scenario you mentioned there are dinos whose role is almost specifically for that. I know its preference but I play pvp and I would be incredibly ineffective running about with 100 health.

4 minutes ago, Gluttonist said:

Right, I understand this, but for every scenario you mentioned there are dinos whose role is almost specifically for that. I know its preference but I play pvp and I would be incredibly ineffective running about with 100 health.

You would probably be fine though if you spent most of your time building in the safety of your base :-) 

I play on an Official PVP server, and am an experienced player. After I got to about level 73, I used a Mindwipe Tonic to readjust my stats. Here are my current stats (I might be off on a couple points, as I'm at work at this moment)

Health: 350

Stamina: 150

Oxygen: 100

Weight: 340

Food: 100

Water: 100

Melee: 100

Fortitude: 20

Movement speed: 125%

Before my Mindwipe Tonic, my melee damage was at about 160%. I recognized that at this point in my gameplay, I rarely ever found myself actually using melee weapons. I'm always mounted on a dino of some kind, whether it be on land or in the water. We have Gigas, Rexes and Wolves for any kind of land fighting we'd be doing, which is usually just to collect meat or raid another tribe anyway. We have Plesiosaurs and Megaladons for killing Anglers, Sharks and Plesiosaurs underwater.

Even if I do dismount to kill something without the use of a dinosaur, I usually use a crossbow anyways.

I think that depending on your circumstances, it may or may not make sense to invest points into melee. 

7 minutes ago, Gluttonist said:

I do all the building in my base ;) Personal opinion is that you don't need more than 200-250

For my play style, I agree.  I think I have my weight at like 210 or 220 right now, if I need to carry more than that I'm not doing it on foot.  I generally only go out harvesting on foot or using my own weight if I need a few pieces of something.  If I need say 4 walls, I'm not going to lug a mammoth around, I'll just go chop a few trees and stone.  More than that and I'll be collecting on my argy or quetzal,

• 2 weeks later...
On March 16, 2016 at 0:07 PM, IDNeon said:

Easy yes, not when you have to do it every 10 minutes.  Which, again you must not be playing official server or something.  Because that's exactly how often I'd have to repair my flak.

By the way, melee dmg is worthless in PvP.

Tell this to my ascendant sword/mastercraft metal shield or my mastercraft wood club

Just now, MrDynamicMan said:

Yes yes, it will technically increase your gather rates but by lvl60 you shouldn't be manually gathering anything, there are dinos for that.  People who spec melee do it for PvP combat, not to get three extra wood.

You may not, but someone might. My point was that it does affect resources and you shouldn't tell people otherwise simply because you don't use it for that.

28 minutes ago, Gluttonist said:

You may not, but someone might. My point was that it does affect resources and you shouldn't tell people otherwise simply because you don't use it for that.

Sorry,  misunderstanding. I worded my post a bit weirdly. Basically what I meant is that the primary goal of spending melee is to deal more damage against players and dinos, and if you want to gather better there are much better stats for that. (weight) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2016 at 6:19 AM, EdGein said:

Tell this to my ascendant sword/mastercraft metal shield or my mastercraft wood club

Drop you in lava, destroy your stuff.  Big waste of money.  Drop you in the middle of the ocean.  Grab...barrel roll, all it takes.

Tranq you.  Lol.

So many ways to defeat your ascendant anything.

I don't know, man. Melee seems like it could be a lot of fun. Maybe for the bigger tribes with more members, they could even create an infantry unit when they want to raid but don't want to risk many tames. Have tribemates who've stated the heck out of movement speed, stamina and Melee and bring them into a battle. Pull up in a Gallimimus, hop out and do as much damage to the squishier tames as possible. Manhandle the wolves and sabers and, when you're picked up by a flyer, grapple onto it and wail on it with your Journeyman Metal Sword or whatever. When your teammates pick riders out of their saddles, run in and slice 'em up after they're dropped and don't die. 

On April 8, 2016 at 6:58 PM, IDNeon said:

Drop you in lava, destroy your stuff.  Big waste of money.  Drop you in the middle of the ocean.  Grab...barrel roll, all it takes.

Tranq you.  Lol.

So many ways to defeat your ascendant anything.

Until you get grappling hooked and your bird is chopped into raw meat for my fridge. Or if we're bringing birds into it Ill just grab my war quetzs and have 45 turrets ripping your bird into confetti. We have a coliseum in official pvp NA 414 I'd like to see you attempt any of these

I love going melee early on an mid game because its fun to have your back up wait on the sideline while you go 12 rounds with an alpha provided you got a crap ton in health or your screwed my quetz, argents an pteras can literally 1 hit alphas some times 2 or 3 if its a rex but me it takes a good 5 minutes of hit an running for me to kill an alpha raptor providing you can get away when your health is low or be close to your dinos.

An it might just be me but i swear melee also helps increase damage of ranged weapons an firearms.

Archived