Give Plantx Seperate Turret limit

Ironpancakemoose

Suggestion

Give Plantx Seperate Turret limit

On legacy and new servers I enjoyed planting plantx, I had 14 personal dung beetles just for my plantx upkeep :D I found this to be a lot of fun. Unfortunately on OFFICIAL PVP this wonderful plant is practically useless. We are experiencing for the first time in arks history a meta where having and maintaining a surface base is not competitive (while tribes now are actually richer than any duping tribe on legacy), and as a result you can count the number of built dessert plateaus (it was the most popular building location for most of new servers) on your hands. One of the biggest reasons why this is happening is because 100 turrets is not enough dps (against current bloodlines and titans) before the enemy destroys your tower.

Plantx had served a extremely important purpose in legacy. Auto turrets were known as pea shooters because of how little damage they did, however any legacy pvp player would remember the time when everyone had 2k dura ghillie and at least 200 movement speed, yet people didnt c4 run ever legacy turret tower that existed, this is because of plantx. This plant has the capability of drastically slowing the enemy to let your turrets get more shots off before they touch your tower. While being balanced by having a counter ( flame arrows) and themselves having low dps.

So why dont tribes just replace one of their turrets with a plantx? No sane tribe would sacrifice a 500 damage a shot tek turret for a plant that can be easily flame arrowed, has less range than a turret, low dps and easily dodge able shots. Even if they replace one turret with a plantx, the plant cant hit more than 1 enemy at a time. To make them any viable you would need at least 10 plants shooting. They would also help counter tek tappies as you would be able to better hit them with reaper goo, shotguns, ptera picks ect.

Giving this plant its own turret limit would immediately make it more viable in bases and actually have a use. Remember when you knew if a fob was REAL when it had crop plots with plantx in them. The limit doesnt need to be big. Even if its like 15 it would help a lot and would create a counter to c4 platform saddles. Even though they are still removed (which was a terrible choice), they are necessary to raid center ice cave, they make raiding other caves possible, makes quickly clearing spam under enemy turret coverage possible, and gives us another method to raid (much needed diversity). But thats a post for another day.

I would argue for making plantx not have a turret limit at all, because plantx is more effective than gate spam at slowing down the enemy, meks can destroy gate spam faster than a lawnmower can mow an actual lawn. What would have taken raiders 40 minutes to destroy with c4, a mek can do it in 5.

Current state of Plantx: Useless

Proposed change would make Plantx useful: Yes

Plantx have effective counters: Yes

Plantx effective: Yes

Would HELP solve a existing meta problem: Yes

8 replies to this server topic

5 hours ago, ThePryBar said:

On official they are anything but useless, when placed in a group of auto turrets you will get more shots and cause more damage to invaders due to the slowing/knock back effect. Yes they do a lower dps then regular turrets but over a longer firing period they do more damage given they fire around 2.2 times faster.  They should just drop the nerf on them so they do more damage, they should be the third most powerful turret.  It is the only squishy turret in the game so it should be given more damage or it's own turret cap.

Lol, ok place 5 around your turret tower. I now flame arrow them, they are dead and you have 5 turret slots that the enemy can potentially fill, leaving you potentially 5 less tek turrets. In legacy I’ve sat there and flame arrows atleast 50 plantx when raiding a redwoods waterfall.

On official they are anything but useless, when placed in a group of auto turrets you will get more shots and cause more damage to invaders due to the slowing/knock back effect. Yes they do a lower dps then regular turrets but over a longer firing period they do more damage given they fire around 2.2 times faster.  They should just drop the nerf on them so they do more damage, they should be the third most powerful turret.  It is the only squishy turret in the game so it should be given more damage or it's own turret cap.

They made the turret limit because tribes had in some extreme cases 1300/100 auto turrets on their bases, after the 8x charity event they made on official, and servers got pretty laggy especially since during that time period, many rags had maybe 4 tribes on 1 map (redwoods plateu, alpha playeu, dessert plateu, alpha spiral) with built up bases, and caves stuffed with tames. 

Making plantx not count towards the current turret limit and instead obey a seperate one would not impact server performance, I've lived on island servers that easily had 500/100 consistent turret limit in a giant base. The 100 turret limit wasnt based off of statistical evidence on lag generated by turrets. It was just a random vote polled by wildcard employees at how much it should be. With the lowest vote being 75 turrets.

If you make the plantx limit 20, it would effectively make the turret limit 120 if you opt to use plantx on your turret towers. Official players arent strangers to lag, we fought and lived in 255 ping without issues.

nah man, you're not getting the point as to why they limited turrets all together. if wc added a plant x specific cap, it would then reduce the actual mechanical turret limit in that area. because since you didn't mention it, the "tracking of targets and projectiles" is what strains the servers. yes, you could buff the plants to give them meaning but no point in doing so when servers reboot every time you throw a stego at a turret tower.

oh, and you forgot: "this would bring a lot of old players back..." xD  

not gonna argue here. i know x are useful even with the long list of downsides. you know, like high maintenance (water and fert), low dmg (golem can walk through) and vulnerable (thatch/wood tier, meaning weak against flamearrows/cannons/rockets and big & bad dinos). there's definitely room for a buff since x are so handicapped right now. i'd imagine increasing the range by half would probably warrant a defense redesign for most tribes.

anyways, i'll tell you a story of 164, i guess over a year ago, before se of rag was released. i guess more so closer to the release of rag or a new patch of servers. doesn't matter. we allied up with 2 other tribes on official to hold the alpha plateu. easily 30+ people online at any given time. so when our farmer ank got stuck, i was being the considerate one and contacted wc gm's for assistance. took them 2-3 weeks but they responded, and...well. dude came in god/ghost mode and, what else, our turrets popped, crashing the whole server xD. people in our discord were clearly amused, and so were our allies. especially when i told them gm wanted some of us to log when @ the appointment time the server was player capped. anyways, we weren't even close to 100/100 at that point. i guess servers have gotten better as i'm not aware that dropping turtle/stegos would resolve in a similar fashion. wc learned their lesson and a few weeks later when another ank was lost to the mesh, i noticed they added a warning to their auto-reply.

just poop and giggles

11 hours ago, Ironpancakemoose said:

Lol, ok place 5 around your turret tower. I now flame arrow them, they are dead and you have 5 turret slots that the enemy can potentially fill, leaving you potentially 5 less tek turrets. In legacy I’ve sat there and flame arrows atleast 50 plantx when raiding a redwoods waterfall.

Correct me if I'm wrong but tek turrets wont shoot rockets, so your turret tower covered in tek is easy pickings. The best defense would use a mix of the three types, 40 tek 40 heavies and 10 plant x. The plant slows the raider then the heavies and tek tear up it up. Now why would a redesign take so long? Just lift the nerf.

Archived