Remove detection ability from the Parasaur when it's being carried by a flyer

Melcreif

Suggestion

The Parasaur and the find the hidden base meta

Curious what folks think about this new meta where tribes carry a Parasaur around to find small hidden bases for raiding purposes.  In the past some folks, myself included would enjoy the idea of creating a small hidden base somewhere in order to allow them the time to stockpile supplies where at some point they may or may not build up somewhere when their ready.  This new Meta almost completely eliminates the ability to do this.  Instead we are forced to go out and attempt to acquire cryopods instead, and we must also kill ourselves or at the very least log off somewhere outside our bases.  Is this what the devs envisioned when adding these new abilities to the Parasaur?  Is it possible this was an unforeseen side ability where the real intent was to warn a tribe of a potential intruder instead and therefore being more defensive instead of offensive?  What do you folks who play PVP think about this and whether or not we should request WC to remove detection ability from the Parasaur when it's being carried by a flyer.

40 replies to this server topic

7 minutes ago, SMP said:

As someone who starts with the small, hidden base, I'm not worried about parasaur detection at all.  I realize I'm at my most vulnerable in those first few days and grind to suitable defenses ASAP.  That's a small window of time to be caught by one of the few players who actually use the detection.

It depends on what you call a small window.  For some folks who only play a couple hours a night max like myself we need maybe 5 days to get to the point of not worrying about detection.  5 days is not insignificant.

On 9/8/2021 at 11:56 AM, Melcreif said:

Actually this was an interesting conversation, but it's become more obsolete thanks to how easy it is now to get cryopods. We have a hidden base that has been safe for awhile, any creatures we've tamed are all in cryo and we make sure to kill ourselves after each play session. Nobody will be finding our base with Parasaurs.

The idea that you have to kill yourself and cryo ALL of your dinos after every play session just to maintain any sort of security is absolutely ridiculous.
I use the cryopods too, however I shouldn't be forced to in order to try and hide.

Also makes breeding impossible.

Seriously, this should have been patched years ago.

EDIT*

I'd like to further elaborate on a solution for this issue.

The concept of using a Parasaur to detect players in my opinion is really cool, not something I want gone.
However, there needs to be a way to ensure the Parasaur can't detect your base.

A sort of plant and/or powered structure could be added that negates the Parasaur's detecting abilities while it's on.

A tame that does this same thing would work too, but that could be used offensively as well, like the Parasaur, and that's what those of us here are trying to prevent.
By having a device that requires electricity, it makes the device a whole lot harder to use offensively.

Sure, they can place down a generator and turrets, and bob's your uncle, however it still costs resources vs the Parasaur that doesn't cost hardly any resources.
Platform saddles exist sure, except it's kind of hard to miss those with the naked eye.

Just my thoughts.
As it stands, the Parasaur makes PvP servers annoying to play on, as having to do the song and dance of suiciding and cryopodding every night/morning gets repetitive fast.

imma have to say that it depends on the servers player count the map and the size and probably the toxicity level of the people ?. but in all reality they really should disable the ability to pick up parasaurs all together i think, if you cant pick it up with a flyer then you cant fly around cheating in a sense.

another thing is that they would have to disable it for all dinos with a platform saddle not just the quetz. take extinction for example 

imagination someone with the frost or tree titan wandering the map with a parasaur on its back looking for a base to Unicorn. it would be so broken cuz the titans are op as fudge same with a titanosaur.

however there is nothing stopping someone from just riding the parasaur everywhere. riding the parasaur around without the aid of a platform dino or flyer cant really be argued with. its within fair bounds

• Volunteer Moderator
16 minutes ago, AcyanidePancake said:

riding the parasaur around without the aid of a platform dino or flyer cant really be argued with. its within fair bounds

Brings up a good point. And normally I would think, sure, you're risking riding a really weak dino around it's almost a decent trade-off.

Then again, if the mechanic was intended that it was for guarding over bases, just disable it unless the dino is not moving at all. Problem solved. If you want to fly it some place. park it, (maybe give it a small cooldown), wait for the cooldown and then... pick it up and move again. Just to find a base. Fine.

But that's a far cry from the way it is now. Turn it on, pick it up and zoom around the map.

Or... make it so it just doesn't detect Reapers or purlos... solves some of the problems with hidden loot.

Yea this isn't an issue. I play only pvp and since this was introduced I have yet to see anyone carrying one around. It's been my experience that 90% of hidden bases have parasaurs on turret mode inside their hiding spot that alert nearby raiders that a hidden base is near. Using them to detect purlovias or reapers hidden in the terrain is great, it seems kinda dumb to have hidden creatures but no way of finding them.

Makes a useless tame useful.

Honestly, the parasaur makes the purlovia almost useless because of this reason. I really used to love purlovia and i always burried them to keep my best loot and some backup loot just in case i get wiped or something.

But it ended up that my purlovias always got uncovered from the ground, killed, and everything on them stolen. At first i was wondering what the hell was happening and wether the little mound of dirt gave them away. Even so i made sure they where pretty well hidden and not visible from the ground and sky.

So i started investigating how can u tell where a purlovia is burried and the number 1 method i saw was by using a parasaur on turret mode. So yeah, i had no clue how to hide them so i dont use them anymore.

16 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Brings up a good point. And normally I would think, sure, you're risking riding a really weak dino around it's almost a decent trade-off.

Then again, if the mechanic was intended that it was for guarding over bases, just disable it unless the dino is not moving at all. Problem solved. If you want to fly it some place. park it, (maybe give it a small cooldown), wait for the cooldown and then... pick it up and move again. Just to find a base. Fine.

But that's a far cry from the way it is now. Turn it on, pick it up and zoom around the map.

Or... make it so it just doesn't detect Reapers or purlos... solves some of the problems with hidden loot.

I like your first option, or maybe if a Parasaur is being carried it can't detect.  The hidden loot mechanic is important, but so the ability to just create a hidden base in say dense trees while also being able to have a few dinos as well.  With the current Meta none of those are options anymore.

24 minutes ago, ThePryBar said:

it seems kinda dumb to have hidden creatures but no way of finding them.

Makes a useless tame useful.

If you've actually followed the thread you'll note that folks have come up with very good ideas to counter the crazy bad mechanic that currently exists of flying around a Wyvern or Argie with a Parasaur looking for hidden bases.  Yes, this is happening all the time thanks to Youtubers like HOD gaming for sharing this mechanic it's happening more and more.  If folks are determined to find hidden creatures and bases let's not make it all so easy for them shall we?  Most folks hide bases because they don't really have any good defenses up yet and choose to hide instead.  It's a cool tactic that's alot of fun and is completely ruined by the new Parasaur carry meta.

12 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

If you've actually followed the thread you'll note that folks have come up with very good ideas to counter the crazy bad mechanic that currently exists of flying around a Wyvern or Argie with a Parasaur looking for hidden bases.  Yes, this is happening all the time thanks to Youtubers like HOD gaming for sharing this mechanic it's happening more and more.  If folks are determined to find hidden creatures and bases let's not make it all so easy for them shall we?  Most folks hide bases because they don't really have any good defenses up yet and choose to hide instead.  It's a cool tactic that's alot of fun and is completely ruined by the new Parasaur carry meta.

I have read the thread and I completely disagree with you.  As I stated I am constantly active in pvp and still to this day have yet to see this happening. If it was as common as you folks claim then people would be non stop complaining in global. 

So how would you find a hidden creature in a featureless location? Just ride around biting the ground with your rex?

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, ThePryBar said:

I have read the thread and I completely disagree with you.  As I stated I am constantly active in pvp and still to this day have yet to see this happening. If it was as common as you folks claim then people would be non stop complaining in global. 

I see 2 other tribes on my servers doing it. I do it as well. I find all sorts of stuff that should by all rights be hidden.

1 minute ago, ThePryBar said:

So how would you find a hidden creature in a featureless location

You don't. Hence the point of the dinos ability to hide.

First.   Ark is one of th best games ever. Period.  This is meant a sCONSTRUCTIVE Criticism.. in hopes they do not repeat the error.. if its an error.

I am no slouch... I have bred

• Thylacoleo.
  • Sabertooth. ...
  • Baryonyx.
  • Argents

I have been through the island on every river... not so tough.   I have constructed guns and fridges and huge breeding bases...

BEST GAME EVER.... UNTIL.. You go online.

Now I am a keen solo player.   I can survive in crowded guild servers.   I have built some surprise rafts... I felt like including screenshots but youve all seen bred Baryonyx...   Now...

BREEDING ONLINE:   Has anyone seen this outside of a guild by solo players.   It is easy enough if you find a secluded place...

Now.. The one stupid thing that made me quit online... is that stupid Parasaur.. and any of the decent ark players out there that have tried soloing it online.. have learned to dread...

My Workaround...   I noticed that every few days.. especially on weekends.   People would fly around in packs with a Parasaur...   Whenever I would hear the stupid thing.. I'd drop what I was doing and run to my fake base.. just far enough away they cannot find my real stuff.    So I let them kill me and destroy my entry level base.. and stop playing for a while.

They did not find me using stealth... They did not find me by following me or searching.. No... a stupid parasaur.

Now.. Breeding... Um.. No.   How can you breed anything online if youre just going to get raided.    I understand I could build a solo base with 100 guns in many secret locations.. but I knew the island well so I had a few places there that I could build secret bases.    My bases went undetected.    I'd often have them in the treetops with only a  metal pole to be seen like a tree...  

I am not complaining about the game.. I love all the animals... I loved catching the big ones...   I have a raft that can cathc argents.. Its that trap online with the gate and railings.. I just put it atop a raft..   Little human bait.  

I hope someone reads this that was or is a good player and understands that this game could have been one of the greater online games.. still is I suppose to some...

But I wanted to build Dimorphodon Army.. that online trap... That's my wheelhouse.   Someone flies too close to your trap... they become dimorphodon food.

All of this is possible still as a solo player,. but that stupid stupid stupid parasaur made my competitors job a little too easy...

Here is my impression of ARK ONLINE now:

Guildy:   Look.. My Dinosaur is Blue.   Lets fly around and kill newbs on the beach.. Okay sure.

It could have been so much more...

I hope something kills off the parasaur in future versions of online gaming.    Bolo them and push them off a cliff.. and leave them there.

Ark SOLO rules 10/10... Ark Online.. 3/10

Anyone who has lost a base to a brain dead parasaur raise your hand.

6 minutes ago, ThePryBar said:

Clearly this thread was not meant for you.  You can go away now ?

3 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I see 2 other tribes on my servers doing it. I do it as well. I find all sorts of stuff that should by all rights be hidden.

You don't. Hence the point of the dinos ability to hide.

So let me get this straight you are against this ability and you don't think that it should be a thing yet you actively engage in doing it. That's like saying that you hate meshing and think that it should be fixed but until it is you continue to mesh yourself.

It's called balance. An animal that can hide needs an animal that can uncover it. 

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, ThePryBar said:

So let me get this straight you are against this ability and you don't think that it should be a thing yet you actively engage in doing it.

Bingo.

5 minutes ago, ThePryBar said:

That's like saying that you hate meshing and think that it should be fixed but until it is you continue to mesh yourself

Not even remotely. 

Yes.. Just when you thought it was safe to come out of the woods.. flying parasaurs... You can carry parasaurs set on alarm mode with any flying critter...  You can find anyone in their base.. just grab your parasaur and fly around. 

The online version of this game is guilds picking their butts killing newbs.. no competition and a lot lame.

I dont think anyone cares that it destroyed the online  game for actual gamers.

If you want to play online.. join a guild on day one.    Never think you can have a secret base like in the old videos... not possible now.  Breeding online.. fat chance solo.

A solo player should have at least some fighting chances.. and secret bases might improve the game.

I bet most players would prefer secret bases over gun defenses if solo.  Too bad its not possible anymore.

Archived