Community Crunch 189: Public Beta, Mod Contest Voters Giveaway, and On The Horizon

StudioWildcard

1 hour ago, pistachio said:

Shouldn't Xbox releases come at the same time as PC? They run on the same operating system.

No, no they do Not. Microsoft tried to force all of games to go through them ages ago. The people revolted and now we have steam. I love PC but I hate Microsoft's heavy hand. They wanted to play big brother and got smacked down. So they then came out with Xbox to soothe their wounded pride. Best game they ever had a hand in on PC was age of empires.

Edited by Greatchawhee
  • Thanks 1

• Volunteer Moderator
34 minutes ago, Greatchawhee said:

No, no they do Not. Microsoft tried to force all of games to go through them ages ago. The people revolted and now we have steam. I love PC but I hate Microsoft's heavy hand. They wanted to play big brother and got smacked down. So they then came out with Xbox to soothe their wounded pride. Best game they ever had a hand in on PC was age of empires.

Can't say that it's any better with Steam. Just a different heavy hand.

Its all well and good their working on... servers? I guess? But did they not mention they've been trying to fix the Trike Charge bug for over 3-4 months now? Did they say screw it they can just deal with a broken dino mechanic? They fixed it before a month after it occured no one knows why its taking 4 times as long to fix it again

19 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

You can’t be an adult gamer to come to that conclusion.

How do people find out about games that are yet to be released? How does advertisement work? How does word of mouth work?

Ark became popular because it was released to early access around the time of the Jurassic World movie when that franchise was restarted. People found out about Ark and it brought a lot of nostalgia back for people who were dinosaur fans.

Ark made YouTubers and streamers who played that content popular, not the other way around.

Do you really think that ark made getjacked, HOD, Muntage, and kishko popular... no they did that for themselves and how many people do you think they brought to the game? Youtubers/streamers advertise the game everyday. Maybe the first players that came to ark heard about it from other sources but content creators are one of the biggest reasons that ark is still alive. Yes WC does advertising but who reacts to that? Who does news stories on the community crunches? If YouTube/streaming isn’t a introducing people to the game why when WC announces something they stream it and put it on YouTube? If your argument is that all the players of ark came  onto the game then why when the game first came out in June 2015 why did it only have 43,000 people playing to a peak of over 100,000 people playing in November 2018 (taken off https://steamcharts.com/app/346110)? That’s just pc, imagine how many people came to console. All of that doesn’t come from “word of mouth” that comes from mainly YouTube and Twitch and the people who work their asses off putting content out to promote themselves and the game.   

• Facepalm 1

Youtube, streamers Twitch etc....it IS word of mouth. Currently streaming is more popular than TV &  twitch boasts 100 million monthly users & Fortnight regularly curb stomps traditional programming (much to my disgust & bewilderment). I have zero doubt that content creators have played a huge role in Arks sales being what they are. 

However streamers did not create the product, they simply showcased it. Again & again with more longevity than a movie & at zero cost to the parent company. Theres a reason why HOD & his channel made these guys bend knee awhile back. Culture is demonstrating to anyone willing to pay attention that social media & content creators are as import as, if not more important than (in the long run) any type of advertisement campaign

Edited by Mossenstein
  • Like 1

• Volunteer Moderator

I’ve played this game for thousands of hours, PvE, PvP. Since it’s release in EA. 

Never seen any of these knuckleheads on social media. I guess I would rather play a game than watch some other dingbat play it.

Not really sure why people do that. Do people watch other people watch movies?

• Haha 1

I imagine some would say the same about frequenting forums or the dingbats that volunteer to moderate them  ?

I say enjoy what you want to....moderating, sharing info on forums or watching tip videos on youtube.  Id be lost without my building videos & the neat communities that have sprang from them....but yeah, nothing wrong with living like the 80's & just gaming in a bubble. At the very least youd have less spoilers. With that said theres nothing wrong with watching videos for educational things like tips & tricks to the more mundane funny things like reactions. The movie analogy is sorta off  because watching a movie is less interactive than playing a game (especially the multiplayer varieties) & movie watching requires no strategy or concept of gameplay. I guess even in movies though we have huge award ceremonies & critics with  programs ( like the old Siskel & Ebert) so even there some of society seems to care even if Joe & I dont, lol

Edited by Mossenstein

i say this in all honesty, if you made a channel with you as a moderator reacting to various posts writtne by forum memebers...some would watch. As a content creator it depends somewhat on your personality, & how informative as well as entertaining you could be. I have 2 children.....1 is basically an adult, the other a teen. Most of what I would consider "TV watching" at that age has been replaced by youtube & twitch viewing. Theres still a standard of quality as far as the content goes, or else everyone would be doing it successfully, but it IS a thing. One that continues to grow especially among the younger demographic of gamers. Weird but true

In fact, I remember my Daughter talking about a funny youtube video done concerning some of the stranger or funnier miiverse posts. (Nintendos old wii u community forum- yes we owned one, lol...big nintendo fans in our household) It lacked a moderators voice over which could have likely gave it more punch. I sense a moneymaking opportunity in your future! 

Edited by Mossenstein

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, Mossenstein said:

say this in all honesty, if you made a channel with you as a moderator reacting to various posts writtne by forum memebers...some would watch

Wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. 

But I hear you. I think that was the original intent of my post. “I don’t get it”. But I’m a to-each-his-own type. It just didn’t come across right on the interwebz. 

Edited by Joebl0w13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2019 at 9:55 AM, ac273 said:

That is because console has layers and layers of red tape to get through to even get a patch approved.  If you dont like the wait, go to PC gaming.  Honestly,  that is about your only solution.

Well with 1/4 of ark players being on console "min 2.5 million people"  you better hope that that really doesn't happen, and the fact that the consoles have a higher overall online player count  than pc, yea that's something wildcard cant afford to lose.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 4:51 PM, Cytokyne said:

They do, but Steam doesn't have their own team scrutinise the update for bugs and breakages as Sony and Microsoft do - this is called certification and often takes about a week; if they find bugs, it then needs to be re-submitted and go through the process again. Steam doesn't care and allows developers to push updates and hotfixes pretty much on a whim, and will only step in if something extraordinary occurs as a result of a bug.

Could they not start this process earlier and or release steam in conjunction with console?

16 hours ago, EBONFOLD said:

Well with 1/4 of ark players being on console "min 2.5 million people"  you better hope that that really doesn't happen, and the fact that the consoles have a higher overall online player count  than pc, yea that's something wildcard cant afford to lose.

2.5 million ?? XD that's just numbers from the game being sold rolf!!! Not a player base statistic XD