Community Crunch 189: Public Beta, Mod Contest Voters Giveaway, and On The Horizon

StudioWildcard

• Volunteer Moderator
9 hours ago, Zadira said:

So it doesn't look like we can vote yet. I think the entries are still in the early preliminary stage.

Ya, presumable it's not open for public vote until the 21st. The wording in the Crunch suggests you can vote now.

FINALS: 07/21/2019 07:00 PM (CDT) - 07/28/2019 07:00 PM (CDT)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Maybe fix the reason why people need new servers. Taming caps & lag. People building 100s of rafts to take up slots. Tribes pillaring entire zones with ceilings to kill any spawn.

My ideas for improving server performance & make room:

- Limit rafts to 2 per Tribe, add 1 to the limit per new tribe member.

- Auto decay (remove) more structures: campfires, torches, tree sap taps, spikes, dino doors, leash (these can't even be demolished after timer).

- Lower taming cap per tribe to 300. We don't need more with the new kibble & cryo system. Most people use it but some tribes leave all out (including raft spam).

- Punish spawn blocking. Like pillar+ceiling. You still haven't found a good idea to prevent pillaring. Maybe a certain structure with a big range that has a limit per tribe that allows them to keep their farming areas safe. Spikes should still be allowed to protect others tames, but they will decay even if near.

- Lower player limit depending on map. Not many people play in big tribes (especially on PvE). 70 Players will fit on a map like Ragnarok but not on The Island.

Simply deleting servers and adding new ones isn't gonna fix the problem.

speaking as a senior developer with some game development experience, these kind of changes aren't necessary to help improve lag.

The issue is how the game processes the data, doing it all at once causes noticeable lag spikes.

The proper solution is to break server processing up to be more incremental. You have 1000 dinos. currently: its do all 1k at same time, pausing everything until its done.

ideal: process 10, do other things, process 10, do other things, repeat.

If WC updated saving even initially to start, that would reduce lag immensely. 

I fixed so much of Minecrafts performance problems and incremental saving was a huge improvement. I made many other things in Minecraft also incremental. 

Things CAN be fixed on an aged game, you just have to commit to doing it.

Edited by Aikar

I will put my vote in for Events to Prim+ as well. There is a good community on console that would love some love from the Devs. We fight with the imbalance of ORP on Abberation versus none on the other servers in the cluster and yes we get the rates from the event which is great but no colours. Would love to be able to get the emotes and other things too, please get it to us too.

Please help us out as it really would make a difference for this simple thing.

Look forward to Valguero but hope Prim+ is not forgotten about as we did not get Extinction, but I can understand it for sure due to Element.

12 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Ah yes, then gigas next amirite? Then rexes. They make boss fights too easy. Then every other carnivore. PVP should be on herbivores only. But no stegos or gasbags! In fact, it  should just be no dinos at all.

Can't tell if stupid or mentally challenged. 

Edited by tronguyman
  • Facepalm 1

Prim Plus has to  be going away. I have been letting WV know since day 1 about drops not working. Dont know why they dont fix the drop issue. Or the issue of Giga no harvesting Stego or kibble being completely broken on Prim Plus. I am sure they are just letting it go I fixed in hope's that server population will drop so they can eliminate the Prim Plus servers. They had a meeting on the future of Prim us I was told by a former employee of WC and it did not go well for Prim players. I just stand up because I want them to admit that Prim Plus is going away or not getting fixed so the honest people who put in 1000"s of hours can just stop aying that mode and either go to Survival or play another game. My fear is that they will just one day wipe Prim Plus without much notice. If they tell us that now it will stop a lot of people from playing Ark. I believe they already have a date for the deletion of Prim Plus but they are waiting until it gets closer in Hope's of people transferring to survival evolved first. Someone from WC needs to step up and be an adult and let us know what's going on. Anyone? We have been waiting patiently and now the patience has run out. I will not get a response I am sure.

15 hours ago, wrath435 said:

So WCs excuse for delays or refusal to name release dates is lazyness and poor communication?

Here's an idea chain the programers to their desk and taze them to stay awake and get the job done already, console players get the short end of the stick and that end covered in dung no less in this game every patch or update and shouldn't have to anymore with cross platform play.

Dude probably not laziness or lack of communication. Look they announced the new maps release date on PC 1 day before it was.  My guess is the Wildcard has probably phiomia"ed"off all of their main investors, nothing makes your investors angrier then missing release dates by months at a time. So now when they make a dlc release announcement they won't give a exact date a month or more away because they know that they will not hit it.

13 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

Lol you have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about. Streamers do not bring much publicity to games because the majority of gamers don’t watch streamers. Also, most people who bought this game including console did so in early access while the game was less than half the price to what it is now.

What are you on? Streamers and youtubers are one of the only reasons ark is where it’s at. One streamers and youtubers do what they do free of charge from WC. Two if they didn’t bring most the people to the game what did? 

• Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

he (or she) was talking about "Here's an idea chain the programers to their desk and taze them to stay awake and get the job done already"

brighten up there man

also you spelled programmers wrong, just thought id let you know

11 hours ago, CryptidHorror said:

Yes but that's a terrible comparison and saying they should chain their employees to a desk is cruel. They have lives and families, treat people with respect.

I wouldn’t use the same words as Wrath but it really shows the frustration in the console community. Granted he (Wrath) said to torture the devs and programmers but still console players feel like the middle child of WC. Console players have a part in paying their (WC employees) bills and we just want enough respect from the then to at least give us access to the same content at the same time. 

On 7/8/2019 at 10:57 PM, Jae12 said:

I love this game but it’s like you guys only care about pc. Console players have been asking for new servers since classic came out. Just the fact that you guys are planning a season two of classic makes me extremely mad. Console and pc players both spent $60 on this game, but console is just an after thought to you guys. Pc gets a new cluster every 6 moths at most, plus they got extinction and valguero before console. I want to tell my friends to buy this game but I can’t. I don’t like playing unofficial but small tribes has server alliances that make it practically impossible to build up without getting wiped. I didn’t buy this game to play with 200 other people either I bought it to mess around with my friends and have fun. Just please get your head out of your butt and listen to your community. 

the reason why valguero isn't out yet is because there was a delay because microsoft and sony deciced it wasn't ready to be played and you can't blame them because if they did release at the same time would just kept crashing and you wouldn't get to play it or enjoy it anyway

4 hours ago, Jae12 said:

What are you on? Streamers and youtubers are one of the only reasons ark is where it’s at. One streamers and youtubers do what they do free of charge from WC. Two if they didn’t bring most the people to the game what did? 

You can’t be an adult gamer to come to that conclusion.

How do people find out about games that are yet to be released? How does advertisement work? How does word of mouth work?

Ark became popular because it was released to early access around the time of the Jurassic World movie when that franchise was restarted. People found out about Ark and it brought a lot of nostalgia back for people who were dinosaur fans.

Ark made YouTubers and streamers who played that content popular, not the other way around.

Edited by SaltyMonkey
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, BadEmpress said:

Isn’t the release date for Valgauero July 18th on console? That’s in 8 days,,,,  is that wrong? 

As far as I am aware, no date has yet been announced, where did you get the 18th from ?Keep an eye on the crunches and news items on the website until then, no doubt theyll plaster the date everywhere when they announce it. Just have patience people ?

"We hope to reduce the legacy server count by the end of summer to provide some new takes on the ARK experience. "

Yeah go on with your hopes and shut them all down already. We had a working gaming community. Had! Even though the server survived for 4 years players are leaving, not because they don't have time, not because they don't want to play ARK, not because there are toxic players on the server, but only because of the constant legacy hate and artificial fear that is spread by wildcard and hateful players. Good job for taking down communities. Does Wildcard even realize that ARKs own success prevents servers from being active all the time? One player can only be one map at the same time, yet there are many maps available. Do players who reached the TEK age by hard work really have to play & grind at least 10 hours per day just like starters? 

Please go on and finally kill everything. At least then it's over.

On 7/9/2019 at 5:38 AM, Atlantis said:

*snip*

- Punish spawn blocking. Like pillar+ceiling. You still haven't found a good idea to prevent pillaring. Maybe a certain structure with a big range that has a limit per tribe that allows them to keep their farming areas safe. Spikes should still be allowed to protect others tames, but they will decay even if near.

*snip*

Something along this would be good idea, similar to a dino leash that has a set range, doesnt block dino spawn or resources, but maybe give each land beacon has unique code so if someone is claiming to much land it can be reported easily?

also limit to x amount per tribe