Offline raiding is too effective at early to mid game stages.

RankMayor

My first offline raiding was everything I'd expected to be. Easy, for the raiders. With noting but wooden pikes and reinforced wooden doors for 70+ hours of gameplay invested into the game, two dead Carno.s. Jimmy lvl 64,  kiilled by a spawning lvl 55 dire bear at base and Timmy killed by 2 random terror birds chasing a Lamb but turns for a player tame... (of course!) they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. What's interesting that it doesn't show any logs about "who" these brave raiders are or even how they did it. Some of you might say, "It's not realistic to know who it is when you're not there." True, but is it realistic that someone can throw grenades, ax your bedroom door, and blow up the walls around your bed but not wake up when you are?  They need to change the tribe logs based around your character when you're offline. Who destroyed said structures and how, so you can better prepare for the future and take your exact revenge upon the coward. 

A lot of this can be avoided by avoiding certain new player mistakes which you are currently committing.  I understand that certain things not showing in the tribe log can be annoying such as when players use explosives and such however this also can be avoided.

don't set up a permanent base until you can make it at least stone, and even then you are very vulnerable and unless you have some defenses then you should try to keep your base away from highly populated areas and as hidden as possible. Idealy you want to get to metal as soon as possible and even then you want to be hidden untill you have defense.

Plant species x is your friend, probably will be your best early game defense, don't rely on your dinos to defend you, they never will, also taming anything under lvl 130 is essentially a throw away dino on PVP, it will always be weak and you can pretty much count on it dying at some point, whenever I tame something low level it will be a temporary tame I need for something which after doing said thing I will take back the saddle put it on wander and let it go off into the distance, anything you plan to keep around and have as a more permanent tame you want to tame something over 130. But early game plants, spam large crop plots, get some fertilizer (dung beetles are amazing for this) and spam as many plant species x as you possibly can. It is not a sure defense and a determined raider will still get in but atleast it will deter lower level raiders and may discourage some who may not feel it is worth their time. Your point about you losing everything and it costing them nothing is the key statement, you want it to have to cost them something. by having plants defending you they will need to destroy those plants and then by having a metal/stone base they will need explosives to get into your base.

Another thing to know is to have dinos in your base that are on aggressive, this will mean that if they break in your dinos will attack them and they will be forced to kill them, this will make their names appear in your tribe log. I like to stash a huge hoarde of dimorphodons in my base as they are good at killing other creatuers when you have a decent sized swarm. Raiders will blow in but then get taken off gaurd as a swarm of teeth and wings flies at them and potentially kills them and the tamed creatures they brought with them to raid you, even if they get in and loot your base at least now it has come at a cost to them.

Finally you want turrets for more permanent defense but pretty much the bottom line about this game is that it is geared towards raiding, it isnt just early game, every base no matter how advanced can be raided and likely will be at some point, being more built up just buys you more time, the more time you can waste for a raider the less worth it your base will be to raid and the more time you have to come back online before you are wiped.

Now there are plenty more tips and tricks to startup and defend yourself on PVP servers and you can find all of this with simple youtube and google searches, however if you find you are really not enjoying the raiding mechanic then perhaps PVE will be a better environment to learn the game first. PVP servers are rough and new players should expect to fail and get wiped many times before you learn how to survive on a server. This is what I went through and what we all had to go through. Expect to fail don't get too attached to your progress and take every set back as a learning experience and you will get better, if losing hours of progress is too much for you to just accept and move on or start over from then try PVE or try a server with offline raid protection. 

I used to feel the most important thing to do on a server was to setup somewhere, I was wrong, the most important thing is to level up and get to the higher tier of engrams. I will not even buid a base untill I'm level 60+ usually, unless I'm planning on using a raft. Live nomadic untill you are able to build metal or stone with tons of plants for protection and then when you are ready scout a hidden spot in a remote location and you will have much better longevity. 

I hope this helps

quick version...

- build in hidden spots until you have turrets
- befriend alphas / build on friendly alpha server
- only tame high level carnos, sheep are OP
- abuse plant x until you have turrets
- build up in a cave or high ground location
- have It all offlined again because this game is unbalanced.

someone raiding your wooden hut when you are offline is not offlining. they could do that with ease at any time
this game supports offline raiding at every possible way.
- hard to farm ammo
- dinos that get dmg resistance buffs from 4 different means (mate boost, armor, imprint, veggie cakes)
- raptoring decay timers 

Offline raids are the only way to get loot ...yes it sucks to be offlined but think of it like this .you have prepped a week for a decent raid an when you start to drain the turrets /raid nobody is defending do you say OK guys pack it up these guys are not online let's come back tomorrow. Hell no you push that base brother .and kill every tame\player without  looking back   

Use explorer notes to get to lvl 24, then build stone. Build a 1 by 1 to start and keep your valuables in it. You can build a wooden wing with just crafting stations. Eventually turn it into all stone. Then repeat with metal. Tame a low level Dilo, put it inside, set it to aggressive. Then you will know your raiders. Great post in general here. 

7 hours ago, HoboNation said:

A lot of this can be avoided by avoiding certain new player mistakes which you are currently committing.  I understand that certain things not showing in the tribe log can be annoying such as when players use explosives and such however this also can be avoided.

don't set up a permanent base until you can make it at least stone, and even then you are very vulnerable and unless you have some defenses then you should try to keep your base away from highly populated areas and as hidden as possible. Idealy you want to get to metal as soon as possible and even then you want to be hidden untill you have defense.

Plant species x is your friend, probably will be your best early game defense, don't rely on your dinos to defend you, they never will, also taming anything under lvl 130 is essentially a throw away dino on PVP, it will always be weak and you can pretty much count on it dying at some point, whenever I tame something low level it will be a temporary tame I need for something which after doing said thing I will take back the saddle put it on wander and let it go off into the distance, anything you plan to keep around and have as a more permanent tame you want to tame something over 130. But early game plants, spam large crop plots, get some fertilizer (dung beetles are amazing for this) and spam as many plant species x as you possibly can. It is not a sure defense and a determined raider will still get in but atleast it will deter lower level raiders and may discourage some who may not feel it is worth their time. Your point about you losing everything and it costing them nothing is the key statement, you want it to have to cost them something. by having plants defending you they will need to destroy those plants and then by having a metal/stone base they will need explosives to get into your base.

Another thing to know is to have dinos in your base that are on aggressive, this will mean that if they break in your dinos will attack them and they will be forced to kill them, this will make their names appear in your tribe log. I like to stash a huge hoarde of dimorphodons in my base as they are good at killing other creatuers when you have a decent sized swarm. Raiders will blow in but then get taken off gaurd as a swarm of teeth and wings flies at them and potentially kills them and the tamed creatures they brought with them to raid you, even if they get in and loot your base at least now it has come at a cost to them.

Finally you want turrets for more permanent defense but pretty much the bottom line about this game is that it is geared towards raiding, it isnt just early game, every base no matter how advanced can be raided and likely will be at some point, being more built up just buys you more time, the more time you can waste for a raider the less worth it your base will be to raid and the more time you have to come back online before you are wiped.

Now there are plenty more tips and tricks to startup and defend yourself on PVP servers and you can find all of this with simple youtube and google searches, however if you find you are really not enjoying the raiding mechanic then perhaps PVE will be a better environment to learn the game first. PVP servers are rough and new players should expect to fail and get wiped many times before you learn how to survive on a server. This is what I went through and what we all had to go through. Expect to fail don't get too attached to your progress and take every set back as a learning experience and you will get better, if losing hours of progress is too much for you to just accept and move on or start over from then try PVE or try a server with offline raid protection. 

I used to feel the most important thing to do on a server was to setup somewhere, I was wrong, the most important thing is to level up and get to the higher tier of engrams. I will not even buid a base untill I'm level 60+ usually, unless I'm planning on using a raft. Live nomadic untill you are able to build metal or stone with tons of plants for protection and then when you are ready scout a hidden spot in a remote location and you will have much better longevity. 

I hope this helps

The current meta of flying around with a parasaur to detect you and your tames eliminates the ability to hide anymore.  WC needs to remove that ability from the Parasaur when it's being carried.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:59 AM, RankMayor said:

My first offline raiding was everything I'd expected to be. Easy, for the raiders. With noting but wooden pikes and reinforced wooden doors for 70+ hours of gameplay invested into the game, two dead Carno.s. Jimmy lvl 64,  kiilled by a spawning lvl 55 dire bear at base and Timmy killed by 2 random terror birds chasing a Lamb but turns for a player tame... (of course!) they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. What's interesting that it doesn't show any logs about "who" these brave raiders are or even how they did it. Some of you might say, "It's not realistic to know who it is when you're not there." True, but is it realistic that someone can throw grenades, ax your bedroom door, and blow up the walls around your bed but not wake up when you are?  They need to change the tribe logs based around your character when you're offline. Who destroyed said structures and how, so you can better prepare for the future and take your exact revenge upon the coward. 

You are making a lot of rookie mistakes. I'll break it down for you.

• Wooden base - bad idea, easily broken into even with cheap tools. Dinos can also break into it
  • Wooden pikes won't stop anyone unless they are also noob
  • Carnos - you will never see a PVP pro using Carnos. They are strictly for beginners and people that don't know any better. A worthless dino in every sense.
  • Dino defence - dinos are terrible at defending a base. There are some exceptions such as having Troodons on aggressive in the inside of your base but even then its fairly limited. Basically a player when raiding your base does not have to kill your dinos to raid it. If I want to stealth raid a base all I do is shoot them with a gun and lure them away. They will come chasing after me but after a few seconds it will lose agro and remain in place away from the base. At this point I am free to raid and damage the base without them bothering me and secondly by not killing it, I don't leave my name on any logs.
  • Base location and size - When starting out its best to build a tiny base in the deepest jungle in a place where it is unlikely to be found. For instance on The Island map the swamp is a great area to do this.
  • Lastly get used to dieing. By playing on a PVP server you accept you will be killed regularly and often by other players. The sooner you accept this fate and get over your misguided sense of morality and fairness the better a player you will become. The enemy will give you no quarter and likewise you should show them none. Go hard, butcher, slaughter and vanquish your foes. That is the only way you will earn respect in this game. Don't fall for the trap of being nice or trying to apply some kind of gentlemans rules to the game, this isn't that kind of game. 

Archived