Is it hard to tame a Giga?

iosman123

Hi,

I've never tamed a Giga before. I feel like I'd probably just get killed over and over, and that I should probably get a tribe together to help me and then we could share the tame or something, but I don't know. Is it pretty hard to tame a Giga? How do you do it? And once you have one, how do you keep it from eating all your other dinos?

thanks

iosman

I use to be worried about taming a Giga too but once you do it, it's actually a very basic tame.

Supplies (I over prep. There are legit numbers to this you can find);

4 metal dino gates

2 Large Bear Traps

500 to 700 Tranq Arrows

3 Crossbows

1000 Narcotics

Argy or Griffin

Set 3 dino gates in horseshoe shape. Place 2 Large Bear Traps close to front.

I prefer Argy for the Kite. If Wild Pick up is allowed pick up a sheep, Phiomia, or something to keep the Giga's attention. Just walk him into the trap. Once the 1st bear trap clicks, land behind and place last gate.

Just start pelting him with Tranqs. Once he starts to run, wait 5 seconds between shots.

Once down, wait for Torpor to drop to half and then spam 1000 Narcotics. 

That should be enough for a 2x mutton tame.

Practice a few times in single player where losing stuff won't matter.

Couple notes;

If no wild dino pick up you can tame something quick to use as bait or use a Griffin and flame arrows to keep the Giga's attention for the kite.

High damage longneck with shocking darts are expensive but very efficient.

Kibble tames faster of course.

Biggest advice though is the trying in single player to not waste resources/dino's in online play.

Edit; As far as him not eating your dino's (I'm guessing PvE) just keep him away from wild Kentro's. They can enrage the Giga which is when it goes into its murder frenzy.

Also watch enraged Trikes if playing on Extinction. 

36 minutes ago, iosman123 said:

Hi,

I've never tamed a Giga before. I feel like I'd probably just get killed over and over, and that I should probably get a tribe together to help me and then we could share the tame or something, but I don't know. Is it pretty hard to tame a Giga? How do you do it? And once you have one, how do you keep it from eating all your other dinos?

thanks

iosman

Taming a Giga is 80% preparation, 15% execution, and 5% uncontrollable chaos.

I include 5% chaos because the best laid ARK plans are STILL subject to a fatal error crash, where you log back in to a 150 Giga eating your newly raised 190 Wyvern in front of your very eyeballs.  Anyone who says any legitimate method is 100% foolproof is either a fool or a liar.  Maybe both!

Preparation:  Make 4 Metal Dinosaur Gateframes (frames only, no door is needed).  Make a Large Bear Trap.  Make an absolute butt-ton of Tranq Arrows (we are talking...  700).  Make several of your best crossbows.  Grab a few thousand Narcoberries or Narcotic.  Load all that crap up on a decently fast flyer.

Preparation 2:  Find Giga.  Arrange three of the dino gates like so  ->     | _ |    Place the Large Bear Trap near the middle, a bit closer to the gate opposite the opening and let it "arm" itself.  This takes a bit of time, it will place in the "up" position and slowly open.  When the sides are parallel with the ground and stop moving, it is armed.

Execution:  Get Giggy's attention.  It chases you, you fly/run over or through trap and kite the Giga into the open side of the trap.  When you see the Giga's feet SHUFFLE-SHUFFLE, it has engaged the Large Bear Trap.  Quickly fly or run around to the open side of the trap (  | _ |  ) and place the 4th Metal Dino Gateframe.  I say quickly because the Large Bear Trap only immobilizes the Giga for about 10 seconds.  You have to place it close enough to the others that it will trap it in, and it won't be able to just turn around, walk out, and then of course eat you and your tame.  If you Bear-Trap it and feel sketchy, let it get out of the trap and make another Large Bear Trap, re-place it, let it arm, and try again.  Don't be a hero.  It can and will eat you and any dino you bring.

Execution 2:  Shoot the living hell out of it with Tranq Arrows.  Don't use Darts.  Just don't.  Gigas shrug torpor off like no other creature in ARK (150 Giga loses over 400 per second), and while you have VERY LITTLE chance of killing it, you also have to ensure you are constantly dosing it with torpor.  They don't just lose torpor fast either:  They have the deepest torpor pools in the game, with a 150 needing over ninety thousand (90,000) torpor to fall unconscious.  Crossbows shoot at nearly double the rate of Longnecks, the ammo is cheaper and easier to make, and the near-double firing rate means you will ALWAYS be stacking torpor-over-time.  Any dose of torpor stalls the Giga's absolutely INSANE torpor drop, even giving it 50 torpor over 4 seconds.  For those 4 seconds, it will rise at 12.5 torpor a second, but will not drop.

Preparation.  Very important.  Without the prep-work stages, you might as well stay in your damn base.

lol i got my gigas from trades through the forum which produced ferts eggs so began raising them (why i have no idea)

i remember back then when my tribe wanted a giga we got all the supplies had the kibble and everything but then just couldnt find one on the map.  u can spend days trying to find a giga and even if u find one the chances of it being a good lvl is rare

but it was easy enough to fill a vault with metal to trade with a guy from the forum here. it was a breed giga in the low 200s. melee at 400 something i think. color was mostly black and had 1 mutation

Personally I have never used a player made trap to tame a giga although it’s easily done.

We prefer to kite it into a natural trap of sorts, using the map to get it trapped out of biting range and then just pump it full of tranqs.

FYI - wild gigas have like 80k health so I wouldn’t try 1v1ing it head to head regardless of how frustrating the tame is lol. Good luck bro.

8 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Once down, wait for Torpor to drop to half and then spam 1000 Narcotics. 

And then it will be awake after 5min... so dont do that. 100 narcotics adds 4k torpor. So keep an eye on the torpor and dont spam too many at once, because when its at full torpor it will start dropping again, even if you fed it all the narcotics ypu had.

A 150 giga needs 479 narcotics if you use kibble on 2x. 

35 minutes ago, Baklap said:

And then it will be awake after 5min... so dont do that. 100 narcotics adds 4k torpor. So keep an eye on the torpor and dont spam too many at once, because when its at full torpor it will start dropping again, even if you fed it all the narcotics ypu had.

Which is why I said let torpor drop to half 

150 Giga 99000 torpor

1000 narcotics, 40000 torpor over 133 minutes

Drop torpor to 55000 or so, spam 1000 narcotics which is 40000 torpor, come back when it's time to feed. 

It's more time efficient and gives you time to track down mutton. Nothing wild attacks a wild Giga so it's safe.

Narcotics are cheap and considering how fast its torpor drops this is more time efficient than watching and spamming 100 Narcotics every time it drops 4000 torpor. 

Either way works I guess but this has always worked for me.

9 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

I use to be worried about taming a Giga too but once you do it, it's actually a very basic tame.

Supplies (I over prep. There are legit numbers to this you can find);

4 metal dino gates

2 Large Bear Traps

500 to 700 Tranq Arrows

3 Crossbows

1000 Narcotics

Argy or Griffin

Having done a few Giga tames, including solo tame, I agree with this 100%. I usually have to figure on one crossbow for every 100 tranq arrows, as they break around then for us. 

Also, I use a wyvern to draw the Giga in, carrying a triceratops. I don't know why, but Gigas love Trikes and they get this excited look on their faces and will chase you half way across the map to get their jaws on your trike. 

The map terrain could also be quite useful in capturing a Giga. We're on Ragnarok and just use the Highlands crevasse with two ends blocked off in metal gates. We lead the Giga over the edge and it drops into our trap. Works well, and no risk of being chomped. 

3 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

Also, I use a wyvern to draw the Giga in, carrying a triceratops.

The Wyvern hit box is so crazy, I don't know how many times I've had friends get caught in the Giga's mouth essentially and just be stucked. Why I go with an Argy instead but yeah, the carrying of another dino is sure to keep the Giga's attention.

I used a Phiomia 2 days ago on my single player and the Giga ran right by 4 Parasaurs, 3 Galli's, and a Bronto on the way to the trap. No diversion at all.

Just now, yekrucifixion187 said:

The Wyvern hit box is so crazy, I don't know how many times I've had friends get caught in the Giga's mouth essentially and just be stucked. Why I go with an Argy instead but yeah, the carrying of another dino is sure to keep the Giga's attention.

I used a Phiomia 2 days ago on my single player and the Giga ran right by 4 Parasaurs, 3 Galli's, and a Bronto on the way to the trap. No diversion at all.

Yes, I wouldn't use a wyvern if I weren't carrying a Trike for that same reason. But once the Giga sees and starts chasing the Trike, you can stay far enough ahead of it with no potential hit box issues. 

I like to place 3*3 metal foundations (middle can be empty) then on three sides build the walls up by 3 then on the empty side place a behemoth gate. Attached to the three sides of the wall build ramps outwards so something can step into the trap but not out. This is more of a permanent trap as it's more expensive, but it makes trapping the thing extremely simple as all you have to do is lure it in a straight line over the ramps and it's stuck. You don't even need to get close either.

As far as KOing it, it's best to have 2 or 3 longnecks and twice as many darts as the wiki says just in case of desync, misses or it eating something. If you have leveled longnecks that would be better. They take a long time to tame so I'd only use kibble and bring lots of narcotics. I wouldn't put any of the kibble on till it's ready to eat all of it at once, which is easy enough to calculate. Just go onto dododex to see how much they need to eat then multiply it by 80 (with kibble, meats are only 50) then subtract that number by it's total food and when it hits that number dump it all on. I do this so that I fail at keeping it knocked out all I have to do is knock it out again and it's still as hungry when it woke up. Sorry if this is too long.

13 hours ago, iosman123 said:

Hi,

thanks

iosman

Not really hard, just dangerous as is anything to do with wild gigas.

Nooblets has a how to video using metal dinosaurs gates and bear traps.

3 hours ago, mattj said:

On official it really is a 2 man job at least. One person must watch the torpor at all times because it drops insanely fast when it starts to fall. The other sets defenses/gets the taming food/keeps watch/etc

Only if you are new / dont know what youre doing. Gigas are easy. Kite, pump a billion narcotic (dunno why noone said narcoberries.. they trivialize giga tames)

Only new people watch something tame XD Be productive, multi task and your base will get better 

Wow some people can really over complicate this, 4 dino gates high grade flak or riot armor if not then flak should keep you from getting one shot but the second will kill you and break most of your gear a bair trap (optional) a friend (optional) lots of tranqu arrows (be prepared to stand there 5 to 10 minutes once the sucker is out let his/her torpor drop low (until it starts to feel unconfertable) pump about 200-400 narcotics in (bit waistful but it's easier than pressing e every 2 seconds) then boom all you need is kibble pop by from time to time to drug it again ( I wouldn't leave it too long ) and you have a giga and all you need to do to keep it from rampaging is feed it,not a problem since it can gather meat like crazy (little extra note : I play on a X3 server so it will just take longer to tame on vanilla besides that this method will work but best place to do this is to build a wyvern trap out of metal on ragnarok and use that rather than lugging around the dino gates

15 hours ago, iosman123 said:

Hi,

thanks

iosman

It is not hard to solo tame a Giga, if you are prepared. 

4 metal dino gates, (extras are advisable in case you get munched and can't get your last one back, see below)

1 large bear trap,  (extras are advisable)

many long neck guns

twice as many darts as Dododex says,

know how much narcotic you need based on level, or have enough to tame a 150.

If you have a quetz, have a bed on it, if not, see next two items.

cache a box in the area if you can, have some sleeping bags in the vicinity 

set up 3 sides of an approximate U mixed with a V (a U shape that is slightly larger on the missing side so the giga fits in better)

set your large bear trap (dont step in it...)

I only take a disposable crossbow, arrows and the  4th metal dino gate in my hotbar (naked taming, in case I get munched prematurely)

Kite the giga in and after it snaps into the large bear trap, go around (big circle) and place the 4th dino gate, you have 30 seconds until the bear trap lets go and it is the faster 30 seconds in your life.

Practice makes perfect, I messed up the first couple times, saw my mistakes and adjusted.

Build a 5 by 5 box out of metal Dino Gates and build a ramp on one side then simply kite the giga up the ramp and into the trap easy as any other Dino to trap. Now for ko bring absolute ton of arrows or darts don't trust the dododex it does not properly calculate the amount needed for a giga because the torpor drain is so high on them. Use kibble! Don't leave its side until it's tamed the torpor drain is ridiculous have a ton of narcotics or biotoxin on the giga at all times. So in conclusion it's not a hard tame as long as you come well prepared or as I go into it over prepared it will go well provided you're not on a toxic PVP server that is lol

@iosman123 No, no. Don’t listen to anything these guys have said. Get aggro and walk backwards while firing. It’s bite isn’t actually that bad. If your scared use a bola. If your feeling adventurous, use a club. Takes 7-10 stones. Put 20 meat in its inventory, come back in 5-10 minutes and there is your giga. 

On a serious note, read the wiki page  https://ark.gamepedia.com/Giganotosaurus , watch a couple videos, and then set it all up in single player (with cheat commands) and give it a go. It is definitely worth waiting for an evolution event. Good luck. (Just remember to keep it separate from the rest of your tames in case it gets mad.) 

11 hours ago, Baklap said:

Its actually 510 narcotics to get 1h 8m torpor buffer once the giga is down to 79k torpor. I would wait more and toss 600 to be safe.

That with lvl 150 giga.

Archived