Offline Damage Protection is ruining PvE

JonasHR

7 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

It was necessary because of a******s kiting dino's where they shouldn't. There have always been cowards who used PvP rules to grief other players because the cowards are afried to compete in PvP. It's always jerks and a******s that force rules like this to be created. If everyone respected how PvE is supposed to work then ORP would never have been needed.

Tbf it also protected you from game issues as well. Probably not so much of a problem now. I logged in so many time to find allosaurs and alpha raptors had spawned in the middle of my dino barn and killed masses of dinos while I was offline. I started building plant X turrets inside my base back then.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator

Ya, since ORP for PvE, the game is little more than Pokemon now. There is no danger from the environment (and yes, in PvE, the other players are little more than "environment").

It's like any other first person shooter you just turn off when you are done playing. Not really a persistent world anymore. No need to play like you would in a real life situation, just leave all your crap laying around.

All you fear is glitches and bugs.

21 minutes ago, apertaoxis said:

Yes. If you like to play this game, you will hardly spend  this time without playing.
Many people build bases in multiples servers but play alone. Others come in every 7 days to refresh their structure and not even play for an hour.

I like this game alot but because of life etc etc its been more than 48 hours since I have been on. I could be away for work Monday to Friday and not be able play as well. The game should not hold you prisoner, which is most certainly what occurs on official, espcially with the decay rates...

14 minutes ago, Kaprosuchus said:

i think ORP makes people lazy.

Most definitely, still I would rather have ORP than not have it. 

People that wan't ORP off are people who want to grief others and destroy their bases. I don't see a single reason for someone who plays PVE to not want ORP other then destroying others stuff because they are not happy with people just logging in to load bases or pillaring.

Pillaring can be reported and you just want to ruin others bases because they only load them, this is not a valid reason to turn off ORP

People that play PVE play it for a good reason and the only thing that can actually threaten your base are other players.

• Volunteer Moderator
31 minutes ago, Fukushu said:

People that play PVE play it for a good reason and the only thing that can actually threaten your base are other players.

If you build a proper base to defend against the "environment". There is next to nothing a player can do to bother you.

I played PvE on officials for over 2 years from the week the game was released (EA). Never once did anybody get the better of me. 

It made PvE fun, now it's a snooze fest.

@Joebl0w13 I think it depends on the place you build and on the person. People pull wild gigas on other maps, build teleporters near your base and teleport like 20 rock elementals just to grief you.

I personally do not want to log in every single day to check on my base, IRL is always first, why should people be punished on PVE for it. 

There was a very, very good reason to implement ORP.

The only option I see is to offer a PVE cluster without ORP for people that don't want ORP because I'm 99% sure that most people are happy with ORP and play PVE for another reason then to worry about your base and the thrill of it.

I would like to play Pve but it is so incredibly boring with ORP, no challenge and no real need to grow. Official No ORP servers would be great especially on Ps4. Classic PvE like it was when I started all those years ago before ORP drove me away to PvP

PvP is the way to play this game btw, but a PvE vacation is always nice.

1 hour ago, Fukushu said:

People that wan't ORP off are people who want to grief others and destroy their bases. I don't see a single reason for someone who plays PVE to not want.

Lol 

People that want it off crave a challenge but not overly challenging, like some dude like me foundation wiping their base while they are offline or just on a resorces run like in PvP. They want to feel like losing it all could happen at any time, the feel of your adrenaline pumping when you log on in the nick of time to save it all. All that but no C4 or RPG's blowing your hard earned gains away.

Minecraft ruined a generation.

How is it a challange when you are not even online? Are you challanging yourself by building your base in a way that it can't get destroyed ''BY OTHER PLAYERS'', why not play PVP at that point? 

There is no good reasoning for PVE without ORP other then destroying other peoples bases/killing dinos and you can do that on PVP.

also @ThePryBar you know that it's against TOS to lure dinos to others and destroy their bases, so you want to foundation wipe others by breaking TOS on PVE?

20 minutes ago, Fukushu said:

also @ThePryBar you know that it's against TOS to lure dinos to others and destroy their bases, so you want to foundation wipe others by breaking TOS on PVE?

Where did I say that I wanted to lure and destroy in PvE, post where I stated that!

I was making a comparison to PvP. People who want a challenge in PvE they dont play PvP because of people like me, who take any opportunity that's given. It dosen't matter if your online or offline, if the fruit is ripe.

People who play openly against the rules have no honor or skill.

You could just ruin all spawns around your base in PVE with foundation spamming like you do on PVP, so the only way something would happen to you would be from other players luring stuff to your base like I said before.

There are nearly no dinos that can destroy your base or would just randomly attack it.

The only way your big stone base will get destroyed is by people luring rock elementals, gigas or alphas to your base and even then they don't just randomly attack your structures unless you placed turrets and plants which people would use to aggro those dinos on peoples bases, destroy them and loot what they can, nothing good would come out of it.

I can only suggest to play on a private/singleplayer with those rules or PVP.

Many of us who played during Early Access and experienced pre-ORP ARK build in a way that, were ORP to be taken away, we would tend to be fine.  We either constantly heard of the one asshole tribe that tried to be the PvE Alpha and kite people all the time to show their dominance, or it actually happened to us as noobs (me). 

I was Titanosaur'ed while offline, and 3/4 of my dinos were in the building.  The big things like my Mammoth and Therizinosaurus (among others) were in a walled-in dino pen that was surrounded by spikewalls.  Came online to a half-blown-open base, half my dino-yard broken down, a tribe-log of dead tames, and one single Pteranodon.  I'm guessing it blended in with the building so they didn't spot it.  I know who did it, still remember, and don't know if I'll ever forget hahaha...  It was in late 2016, after a year and a half or so on PvE37 on legacy.  A year's worth of tames, gone in an evening.  After a year of playing, I still didn't know a ton about what I was doing so most weren't good tames at all.  I had a few bred Ankys and Pteras, and a bred Argy.  I had that Theri, and they were brand-new.  That thing was a monster for the time...  But what a pain to get.

It died like a wimp under that Titanosaur's feet, just like everything else.  ORP is fine with me, raptor the griefers.  If I personally can be assured no one is Titanosaur'ed again because ORP prevents it, I am OK with it.  I know it's just a game, but damn dude...  ARK is a bit beyond the "just a game" status with the time it takes.  There are people on PvP and PvE who look for every opportunity to ruin other people's play-experience because "having fun" for them is found in the creation of misery for others.  ORP took a lot of that power away and made PvE a lot more PvE-focused.  Yes, the environment comes up very lacking in terms of active threat level, but it is what it is.  Nothing is challenging to @BertNoobians Rexes.

to put it plain and simple - if you remove offline protection, PvE will be come PvP.   New players won't stand a chance because, just like so many have experienced on PvP, they'll find a spot that isn't pillared, get a little base built, tame a couple dino's, log off for lunch, log back on and find that their dino's are dead, there base is destroyed, and the spot in now pillared.

PvE is Player Verse Environment, not Player Vs. Player.

I like Offline Protection,  I am a casual player and play solo most of the time, but interact with the other players in PvE, I've even helped new players coming to the maps that i play on giving supplies, mats, even dinos.  Most of the community that Play are friendly and help eachother out, the total opposite of what i've seen on PvP servers.

To be frank though, and blunt about the whole argument.  You remove Offline Protection, and PvE will just become as toxic as PvP and you'll end up losing even more of your player base then the few people who are commenting in this thread who are against it.

If people are blocking a Obelisk or a cave entrance with dinos - report it, its against the CoC and will end up with the dino's / structures being removed. I know this because its already been done on several servers I play on.

Every map I play on has constant dino threats, the island, SE, both have Alphas and Titans that end up coming into peoples bases reaking havok.  Extinction there is the constant threat of currupted, and yes they do come into the city and destroy bases all on their own.  I litterally had to lead 2 currupted rexs away from my little hut on foot in extinction to keep them from destroying it,  I died in the end but my home was safe.  Abberation depending on where you build the threat is always different.  Ragnarok, SE and Valgeuro all have the threat of wandering wyverns. 

You want the game to be 'more of a challenge', start fresh, new character, don't download any dinos or items via a obelisk, and make the threat real to yourself again.   I did this with Scorched Earth, Abberation, Ragnarok, and Valguero.  It keeps the game fun, and keeps the challenge there for you till you feel like moving on to another server.

If Offline Protection does get removed from PvE, I think im done playing on any official server at that point, and most likely done playing the game period.  I like the fact i can leave my dino and base there during the week, come back the next weekend and be able to take off from where I left off, unlike pvp where every time you play, your starting over unless your part of a alpha tribe.

34 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

Yes, the environment comes up very lacking in terms of active threat level, but it is what it is.

This is why I welcome the big nerfs such as the flyer nerf. People love complaining about how easy the game is but then have the audacity to complain once that very thing is to be taken away from them.

Ultimately, Titan kiters that will destroy anything is the reason ORP was enabled. Preventing griefers far outweighed non-ORP, which people need to bare in mind for advocating for its removal.

But going back to my first point that you addressed, it’s not so much that ORP has ruined PvE, but more that the E is not dangerous/risky enough.

last monday i placed 30 extra behemoth gates, to keep players out of my base.

they leave rafts and tames in my base. or worse, they tame or lure wild animals at my babies.
i am building a new base and i am not ready to finish it yet.

there should be no orp on tames that are in caves or near other peoples structures in pve.
orp makes a different kind of very nasty griefing possible.

39 minutes ago, BertNoobians said:

last monday i placed 30 extra behemoth gates, to keep players out of my base.

they leave rafts and tames in my base. or worse, they tame or lure wild animals at my babies.
i am building a new base and i am not ready to finish it yet.

there should be no orp on tames that are in caves or near other peoples structures in pve.
orp makes a different kind of very nasty griefing possible.

again, blocking is against the CoC,  even placing a bunch of dino's in someones base to where they can't build / move their own dino's out is considered blocking and a reportable offense,

Honestly you guys need to read up on the CoC for the PvE aspect of the game,  even in this case dino's had been deleted, and one tribe was warned to move them or lose everything which they moved the dino's promptly and the issue never came about from them again.

I still build my bases like ORP doesn't exist.  I guess it is a holdover from legacy days.  When I started reading this thread, I was dead set against removing ORP, and I thought that it was a goofy argument to even have.  The discussion has been really good though, and I almost changed my mind a few times.  Unfortunately I remembered that there are jerks everywhere and some people don't need a reason to come to your server and wreck 15 days of work, or take out a cryo fridge with a year's worth of work inside.  Again, I plan for all of this and "backup" my dinos across other servers (that is as much to defend against WC as it is other players), but with ORP I don't have to be concerned about the 12 year old or 40 year old no lifer threatening to wipe my base when I go offline.  I have been pillared, and it is frustrating, but I realized that getting pillared was as much my fault as the idiot that did it.  Mark off your territory, defend it, and don't be a douche.  Problem Solved.

Archived