Valgueros Pros and Cons

HonorableFool

Valgueros Pros and Cons

First of i like to say that i do not hate Valguero,i actually like it,but i noticed some problems or shortcomings i would like to point out. Im going to go over the pros first though.
Pros
Good Water to Land ratio (alot of people dislike the ocean due to it being sort of a resource depot instead a full fleshed out biome)
Heaps of metal,this map has alot of metal nodes,not as much as Ragnarok,but alot.
Sap Stumps provide early game sap
Heaps of pearls,this map has alot of silica pearls,the underground ocean also provides easy black pearls
Oil veins,Oil pumps are always great
Beavers,Beavers,Beavers,theres alot of beaver nest
Cool ruins
Plenty of small water sources,anywhere you build on this map you will have a water source nearby
Underground Ocean,this provides a cool take on the ocean (some people where hoping for something like this in Extinction)
Boreal Forest is a great biome providing redwood resources with jungle threats
Flat areas,this provides alot of great building areas
Small caves (not refering to actual caves) these provide base areas and cool environments!
New Dino

Cons
Allosaurus Apocalypse,there are way too many allo spawns
not enough crystal spreads,there is alot of crystal on this map,however it is only in a few areas on the surface making crystal one of the more annoying resources on this map
Bugs? Bug creatures are harder to farm due to them only spawning in higher threat areas
BroodMother,dont bother with her,she doesnt give tek engrams and only gives low tier to no loot.
Caves? There are very little caves in this map and the ones that are really underwhelming,only 2 of the caves have enemies in them.
Ice golem and Chalk golems being reskins,they could have made these alternate versions of the rock golems example making ice golems rock throw freeze or slow enemies but they are weak to fire,chalk golems rock throw being several small rocks for more aoe but less damage.
No Chargenodes,batteries are impossible to charge on this map

NOW FOR THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM
The Abberation area is extremely lacking content,no vines,no rockdrakes,nameless,reapers,baslisk,shinehorns,featherlights,no liquid element,only contains 2 of the abberation biomes making it very boring(surface obviously cant be added) and not really worth,Wildcard has stated that this is for that way abberation doesn't become useless and not generate sales for abberation (abberation has probably sold 99% percent of what its going to sell ever),HOWEVER Abberation has been out for 18 months.To put this in perspective,Ragnarok came out only 10 months after Scorched earth released with all of its content being added to Ragnarok (phoenix came after ragnaroks release),this has caused scorched earth to become very pointless to ragnarok. This is most likely why abberation creatures are missing from valguero. Wildcard most likely doesn't want Valguero to become a replacement to abberation. However wildcard has to realize that hype and interest are two different things. Hype can create interest (Valguero Announcement trailer for example),However hype cannot sustain interest unless the content is interesting itself. Hopefully wildcard will stop being stubborn and give the players what we want,but this is how they responded to the whole Valguero Abberation thing. 

ebfn1ya2g8731.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

16 hours ago, HonorableFool said:

NOW FOR THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM

The Abberation area is extremely lacking content,no vines,no rockdrakes,nameless,reapers,baslisk,shinehorns,featherlights,no liquid element,only contains 2 of the abberation biomes making it very boring(surface obviously cant be added) and not really worth,Wildcard has stated that this is for that way abberation doesn't become useless and not generate sales for abberation (abberation has probably sold 99% percent of what its going to sell ever),HOWEVER Abberation has been out for 18 months.To put this in perspective,Ragnarok came out only 10 months after Scorched earth released with all of its content being added to Ragnarok (phoenix came after ragnaroks release),this has caused scorched earth to become very pointless to ragnarok. This is most likely why abberation creatures are missing from valguero. Wildcard most likely doesn't want Valguero to become a replacement to abberation. However wildcard has to realize that hype and interest are two different things. Hype can create interest (Valguero Announcement trailer for example),However hype cannot sustain interest unless the content is interesting itself. Hopefully wildcard will stop being stubborn and give the players what we want,but this is how they responded to the whole Valguero Abberation thing.

I agree with you on that point but I also understand WC's position from a business perspective. However, here are a few ideas that WC can easily implement with minimal effort to please everyone and mitigate their fear of killing off Aberration like Rag did with SE :

- Fully implement rock drakes & reapers (and other Aberration related creatures) but DO NOT add any nameless.
- Double the taming/maturation time of said creatures (rock drakes & reapers in particular).
- Implement a 10-15% stat bonus on all creatures bred/raised on their original DLC map.

That same small logic can easily be applied to Ragnarok in order to make SE worth our time again.

There are aberration dinos and aberration bioms just because they are not adding the endgame content from other paid content maps doesn't mean that they raptored up. 

You can tame all the normal dinos as the aberration version which glows in the dark and use the bioms for building.

Wanting everything on a single free map is a little bit too much, don't you agree?

15 hours ago, Darkholis said:

I agree with you on that point but I also understand WC's position from a business perspective. However, here are a few ideas that WC can easily implement with minimal effort to please everyone and mitigate their fear of killing off Aberration like Rag did with SE :

- Fully implement rock drakes & reapers (and other Aberration related creatures) but DO NOT add any nameless.
- Double the taming/maturation time of said creatures (rock drakes & reapers in particular).
- Implement a 10-15% stat bonus on all creatures bred/raised on their original DLC map.

That same small logic can easily be applied to Ragnarok in order to make SE worth our time again.

You can't have rock drakes without nameless. You need Nameless venom to raise baby drakes.

2 hours ago, Darkholis said:

That's the whole idea, to force people into Aberration in order to keep it relevant.
FYI, you can use a daeodon as with wyverns to raise your babies without actual venom.

I don't think you understand the idea of what you're saying. You can't implement ALL Aberration creatures except Nameless. If you have drakes on Valguero, how are players supposed to raise them without Nameless? Transfer the babies to Aberration and raise them there? That is more of a hassle than it's worth.

And the Daeodon method doesn't always work. 

Just now, TravisMichael said:

I don't think you understand the idea of what you're saying. You can't implement ALL Aberration creatures except Nameless. If you have drakes on Valguero, how are players supposed to raise them without Nameless? Transfer the babies to Aberration and raise them there? That is more of a hassle than it's worth.

And the Daeodon method doesn't always work. 

I perfectly understand what I'm saying. Transfer to Aberration and get your venom there. Same thing peeps raising wyverns on Extinction been doing for a year now.

Just now, TravisMichael said:

That is still a hell of a lot more difficult than it needs to be.

Still a fair compromise in my humble opinion to have them officially added to the map.

On a more general note, (ain't aiming at you) and I don't intend to be a whiteknight here. Peeps need to stfu sometimes and bring up some actual suggestions instead of the usual cry threads.

I agree that they need to throw in more crystal spawns in a few other places. That’s a quick fix. There shouldn’t be a motive not to. Other than that, resources on the map are fine. 

The ‘Abb’ area is nothing more than a flightless arena (pvp) or a flightless biome (for PVE) since they removed specific Abb related Dino spawns and some content. This is fine, but in the very least, and I agree with you on this, give us an incentive to go down there other than for fungal wood and gems. Also, The Abb map is beautiful from not just the aesthetic point of view but from how these biomes were laid out and the natural flow of these biomes as they mesh into one another. Therefore its a shame that the developers allowed the Valguero creators to rush it to the extent where it doesn’t, in the very least, mimic the beauty of Abb. There’s no feeling of nostalgia walking into the Abb biome on Valguero for me. I feel hints of it looking up at the ceiling reminding me I’m underground but that’s about it. I’m not sure if they got lazy when creating it or just rushed it. 

Valguero is lackluster, not just the Abb biome. It’s a square with a biome in each corner. The biomes don’t tell story, they don’t mesh together, and therefore it does not feel organic or natural. They screwed up by running each biome into the map edge. It’s clear they didn’t give it the quality we expected like we got with Rag. FYI- Quality isn’t subjective in this instance.  

Other than those few critiques, the map is fine. They clearly wanted something to shove out to the player base and took no pride in it or in their creativity. It is what it is. Anyhow, i still prefer Rag.

Note: I do like how they changed the Tundra biome as compared to The Center. Their creation of a tundra feels more accurate.

1 hour ago, Darkholis said:

Still a fair compromise in my humble opinion to have them officially added to the map.

On a more general note, (ain't aiming at you) and I don't intend to be a whiteknight here. Peeps need to stfu sometimes and bring up some actual suggestions instead of the usual cry threads.

Peeps could also stop being so entitled and demanding that Wildcard change the features of a FREE map.

33 minutes ago, TravisMichael said:

Peeps could also stop being so entitled and demanding that Wildcard change the features of a FREE map.

Almost agree with you there.

Take Scorched Earth as an example. We all know it was first and foremost a quick cash flow for the business and the delivered product is far from finished, despite WC's position on the matter. Ragnarok pretty much took all the positive aspects of SE and none of its downsides, effectively rendering it useless nowadays. We can pretty much say that all players who bought SE got shafted since the content is now freely available on Raganarok (minus the Phoenix has minimal uses anyways).

Again I agree, there are indeed countless entitled players out there that want everything to fit their playstyle. Is it too much to hold on for a sec and think about the demands/solutions and not repeat the Raganarok/SE fiasco?

just be happy with the huge new map that has great building spots. 

Go to abe if you want rock drakes and reapers, I don't really see the problem here. 

Some of you want all the dinos on a single map, do you also want them to add owls and manas to the frost bioms? 

How about some gasbags flying around but without corrupted dinos, some guy even asked for drakes and reapers without nameless, like cmon.

It's a fresh map with ragna lvls, the map is big and has a lot of building areas. It has a lot of caves which is good for pvp, the resource distribution is pretty well done, just missing some crystal spawns.

It just doesn't have all the dinos on a single map and no map should have them all.

It's always an option to play on unofficial servers where you can have what you want.

Those arent allos or raptors in the screenshot, they are the new dino. It does spawn in packs of around 5. But the allos, raptors and new dino are all part of the risk for living in that area, the area with all the ovis. The area with the best base spots and way too many resources. I dont get why the metal, obsidian and crystal were removed from the opposite side of the main lake and moved into that lush green area that already had everything else. I disagree with the assessment of the resources being evenly distributed, gl finding a metal node at most of the starting spawns. I understand that WC wanted some of the resources taken out, but why leave them in the spots that already have huge advantages. But them out in BFE, force people to go to the undesired spots to get them.

I have played a lot in the past but nothing fort quite some time. Had a quick look at Extinction , 10 hours or so,

Heard a new map was up and decided to try it... Not at all surprised that WC stick to their "plan". This map is not nearly finished or balanced, So many holes in the mesh, overapawning of some creatures, lack og other creatures,. So many issues I wont even bother to mention. Night have a look in another tear but doubt this game will ever work as intebded.

In general, same as always. Not finished at all. like everything else WC has done. Guess the modder wasnt to expensive to buy out.

Valg was a great opportunity to enjoy the beginning of the game again, but with amped up dino levels and ample resources to build just about anything, and enough room that you aren't competing with 10 other tribes for the prime land. 

But, at this point after playing on Valg since launch, I've determined for myself that Valg will be a good taming map for getting 150 (or 180 tek) breeders, but not much else. Aberration is still the best map to farm metal, and the best map so far to make your end-game stomping ground is Extinction, due to the abundance of element and other end game resources like poly, crystal and element dust, etc.

But as for Valg its mostly a redundant map that feels like a great place for pvp, but its got some serious issues for pve that aren't going to be solved without someone getting upset, and so the issues likely wont be solved, with is fine because as I said it's a great map to find high level dinos for breeding, and of course the only place you can get deinos, and the map is full of their nests if you know where to look (hint: not just in one biome). Valg has been fun, but the novelty of starting over wears off once you are setup and realize there's no content loop on the map that you can't do elsewhere, and going through the grind for old bosses in order to slowly gain element like the good old days is where the fun stops, as farming bosses and running caves was a crappy end-game loop that caused a good deal of players to become disillusioned with the game, so I doubt they're coming back for the Valg experience just for Deinos. Once transfers open up Valg will be a nice alternative to Rag. Until then, its a nice nostalgia run that doesn't last very long.

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2019 at 5:24 PM, Critter said:

I agree that they need to throw in more crystal spawns in a few other places. That’s a quick fix. There shouldn’t be a motive not to. Other than that, resources on the map are fine. 

The ‘Abb’ area is nothing more than a flightless arena (pvp) or a flightless biome (for PVE) since they removed specific Abb related Dino spawns and some content. This is fine, but in the very least, and I agree with you on this, give us an incentive to go down there other than for fungal wood and gems. Also, The Abb map is beautiful from not just the aesthetic point of view but from how these biomes were laid out and the natural flow of these biomes as they mesh into one another. Therefore its a shame that the developers allowed the Valguero creators to rush it to the extent where it doesn’t, in the very least, mimic the beauty of Abb. There’s no feeling of nostalgia walking into the Abb biome on Valguero for me. I feel hints of it looking up at the ceiling reminding me I’m underground but that’s about it. I’m not sure if they got lazy when creating it or just rushed it. 

Valguero is lackluster, not just the Abb biome. It’s a square with a biome in each corner. The biomes don’t tell story, they don’t mesh together, and therefore it does not feel organic or natural. They screwed up by running each biome into the map edge. It’s clear they didn’t give it the quality we expected like we got with Rag. FYI- Quality isn’t subjective in this instance.  

Other than those few critiques, the map is fine. They clearly wanted something to shove out to the player base and took no pride in it or in their creativity. It is what it is. Anyhow, i still prefer Rag.

Note: I do like how they changed the Tundra biome as compared to The Center. Their creation of a tundra feels more accurate.

Will definitely disagree with quality not being subjective, it definitely still needs tweaks, fixes and improvements, but as someone who finds Valguero beautiful and Rag kinda ugly and unappealing you are incorrect there, at least in terms of aesthetic quality which is always subjective. To me, it seems like the rag developers were better game designers/map makers but the valguero devs are far superior in visual design. They just don't seem as skilled or trained in actually creating a well functioning map and wc messed it up with the resources even more. Seriously no obsidian in ab cave????

The guy that did Ragnarok has decided he is going to go back and finish Valhalla. If you think Ragnarok looked good, wait til you see Valhalla. It has always been my favorite map but the bugs wouldnt let all of my friends play on it, so we had to scrap it. Luckily Rag came out a little later on for us to all play on. I like maps with wide open spaces, like the Highlands area or the hills/valleys/plateaus near the beaver lakes.

Archived