Base locations

skorpionk13

The Hidden Lake (which is where my base is, I’m also a lvl 100 in Single Player) is a classic spot, and it works really well. It is large enough for a big base, and it is close to resources. It’s commonly used, so you’ll have no trouble finding the coordinates and/or the actual location.

The two pillars near the waterfall (Coordinates — LAT: 42.6 ; LON: 64.9) are good, if you have a cantilever or two and don’t mind using fliers often.

The little ‘island’ near the fork in the river at the border of the Southern Islets (Coordinates —  LAT: 83.1 ; LON: 57.8) can easily be walled off, and it is large enough for a big base.

South Haven is an okay spot, but it has its flaws. It is an island, so it’s isolated from the mainland, and you’ll have difficulty transporting tames.

I suppose the little dip in the Volcano can also be utilized, although it isn’t my first choice. A cantilever can also be positioned on the exterior of it, and it is laden with resources.

(I also happen to be looking for new base locations, so, I’d gladly take any pointers.)

I just started a new game and have been slowly putting a few bases in around the map. I decided to build in places I’ve not really used before, so I started in the north west @ 40,16. It’s a big flat area with lots of room for whatever size base you want. Resources are nearby as well as a never ending dino fight (prime meat!) usually on the north western most point. It has great water access so you should be able to build a water pen as well, but I’m not there yet. It’s biggest drawback to me is that it’s far from the other side of the map.

Next I used one of the pillars mentioned above, the smaller one without the metal spawns. I built a medium size house with a rooftop taming pen and landing pad. It’s not a place I will keep tames, mostly just for the convenience of a taming/restore type place since my main base is anything but central lol. I didn’t use a cantilever and just built on top. I thought I was going for a small 5x5 foundation but was able to make it bigger.

Now I’m looking for somewhere to use cantilever platforms. I really want somewhere that doesn’t have flat terrain for dinos to reach the platform. Or somewhere I can use a couple of cantilever close to each other, kinda like a treehouse platform base made using more than one redwood. Treehouses! That’s on my list too lol.

Happy building ?

My current base is at the peak of the Volcano. I don’t know if this is a bug or something that went wrong but nothing ever attacks. You really really need a flyer though, preferably an Argentavis or a Griffin to carry all your stuff. It’s a really great spot because it’s chock-full of Metal, Obsidian and Crystal. If you bring an Anky up here, you’re basically invincible. Only problem is that there’s no wood/thatch/fiber or berries and anything like that, but the Volcano is surrounded with plenty of woods so that’s not too much of a problem. If you have God Console this is the best place. (I’m guessing you might have because you’re Lvl100 and still looking for base locations)? However, you don’t have access to your water tames, the ocean is really important for Black Pearls and Oil, so you need to have another mini-base. 

Other great locations are

1) Hidden Lake (everybody loves this place but I don’t prefer because I get the creeps when I see Sarcos wiggling around in the lake),

2) the island mentioned above. My first ever base in ARK (a thatch hut) was built there until the day a Therizino came along and wrecked everything. Beaver Dams also spawn there, just be prepared to scram when you steal their wood/pearls/rare flowers and mushrooms and they get angry.

3) South Haven is really cool if you build a bridge from the island to the mainland! You don’t have to worry about anything. My base was built here when I was moderately well-off, close to the Lava Cave (which has a little teeny bit of Crystal spawn at the very entrance so you don’t have to actually go in, I got my Spyglass Crystal from there) and the ground is super flat for building. There’s also a really deep harbour for your Pleisosaurs or Mosasaurs.

I have some mini-bases:

Near the Whitesky Cave there’s this super duper flat piece of Snow land jutting out from the mainland, around the Northwest. Once you clear the trees it’s super duper flat and amazing. I use this place to secure my water tames.

In the Redwoods (because the Tree Platforms are just too cool, but) most importantly for the Sap. If you want to tame Achatina (snails that produce Organig Polymer and super handy), you need Sweet Veggie Cake, which needs Bee Honey and Sap to make. You need to have a small place in the Redwoods to attach your Bee Hive to a tree. 

I have beds outside all the caves in case I ever need to go for a quick artifact run not knowing if I’ll make it out alive ?

I also use God Console (though I didn’t use the Level Up), so if you have any questions about where you want to start just ask :)

P.S. I hate the swamps. I don’t ever go there.

On 6/25/2019 at 2:28 PM, LightBender said:

Now I’m looking for somewhere to use cantilever platforms. I really want somewhere that doesn’t have flat terrain for dinos to reach the platform. Or somewhere I can use a couple of cantilever close to each other, kinda like a treehouse platform base made using more than one redwood. Treehouses! That’s on my list too lol.

Happy building ?

Cantilever platforms are great, and I’m just disappointed that I can’t find any really good places to use them.

@LightBender @Mythical

The smuggler’s pass mesas (river/stream east of volcano and west of far’s peak and green obelisk) are pretty good. Blue obelisk has some good spots for cantilevers. The volcano also has several good positions for cantilevers. The east side of the amber metal nodes mountain has a few good spots for dropping cantilevers. The river cliffs near the north northeast redwoods are also a good looking spot. 

I have only personally test the first location, but I have seen good looking setups at the other locations. 

7 hours ago, nintendogamer7 said:

@LightBender @Mythical

The smuggler’s pass mesas (river/stream east of volcano and west of far’s peak and green obelisk) are pretty good. Blue obelisk has some good spots for cantilevers. The volcano also has several good positions for cantilevers. The east side of the amber metal nodes mountain has a few good spots for dropping cantilevers. The river cliffs near the north northeast redwoods are also a good looking spot. 

I have only personally test the first location, but I have seen good looking setups at the other locations. 

Thanks for the tips. I will have to check those locations out ?

Today I flew out to Fars Peak and found a place high on the peak where 2 cantilever platforms could be side by side and built on them. One has a stone gate trap for taming griffins, and the other has a mini base with a covered landing area for flyers. I was really happy that I was able to place them close enough where I can’t fall when going between them and I don’t need to jump either. It’s really basic because I have a more substantial base nearby in Smugglers Pass. But I like it and am excited to attempt to use it on griffins where the griffin and I should be relatively safe from everything while waiting through the taming process.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

eta: coordinates are LAT:34.3  LON:75.6

On 6/29/2019 at 12:26 AM, LightBender said:

Today I flew out to Fars Peak and found a place high on the peak where 2 cantilever platforms could be side by side and built on them. One has a stone gate trap for taming griffins, and the other has a mini base with a covered landing area for flyers. I was really happy that I was able to place them close enough where I can’t fall when going between them and I don’t need to jump either. It’s really basic because I have a more substantial base nearby in Smugglers Pass. But I like it and am excited to attempt to use it on griffins where the griffin and I should be relatively safe from everything while waiting through the taming process.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

eta: coordinates are LAT:34.3  LON:75.6

I didn’t even think of using them there because I’ve already built a traps there for them but that sounds brilliant! As for the gap, if you placed foundations inside the cantilever you can use ceilings to extend up to 2 tiles further out, completely eliminating any gap at all and allowing for one continuous base. 

On 7/2/2019 at 2:37 PM, nintendogamer7 said:

I didn’t even think of using them there because I’ve already built a traps there for them but that sounds brilliant! As for the gap, if you placed foundations inside the cantilever you can use ceilings to extend up to 2 tiles further out, completely eliminating any gap at all and allowing for one continuous base. 

Thanks for the tip. I will probably try this next time I build at a cantilever location. I would really like to build something on them that is a little less primitive. 

Archived