Base defense ideas people may not have thought of:

mattj

Base defense ideas people may not have thought of:

There are many different things you can do to defend your base. Some include auto turrets/x, gates/spikes/vault walls, aggressive dinos, traps, and many more. Some are simple. Some are complex. Some are well known. A few are not.

What are some base defense ideas that you use or have seen that most people probably wouldn’t think to use?

One example I could give is how my base has a complete vault wall around it. It even protects the front door. I did this by building a stone door structure and roof barely separate from the actual base in front of my actual front door. I placed the vault on top of this structure and stuck C4 inside the door. Should they destroy the separate door the C4 explodes blowing the separate roof dropping the vault in their path. Not fool proof, but it does work and will slow them more than not having a vault there.

How the bob probably wouldn’t think about those things when defending his base. But it’s true they’re a part. I think diplomacy is a huge part of why I’ve never been raided. Not all of it. But it’s significant. I’ve got eyes watching all the time and allies throughout my server and others. Good contribution.

i like to have narco traps and bear traps around my base, i never get caught but i have had indiots charge in when i open a gate to walk in a rex and then they charge right into a bear trap. they should add in proximitymines for ground, or even land, those would be cool. would make fliers alot more nerfed for pvp, no more flier raids.

I play pve and avoid building walls because they lag. 

There is pve defense against dinos.  Species X is the best.   Actually finding out what your dinos can do in battle with other dinos and tethering them to a passive;  let them defend themselves.   I know you were making a joke Jacira was funny.  It's kinda sad that everyone's only defense is a GREAT BIG FAT BOX THAT BELONGS IN MINECRAFT.  And even more amusing, you know how dinos load first and walls load in second?  So you can see inside everyone's FAT BOX.  Kills me is seeing these people's BIG FAT BOXES empty.  Why did you even bother?  If I stop using something I have constructed I tare it down.  You guys are pack rats.

I still advocate that decay timers on all construction objects get halved on official.  People logging in to keep their empty boxes sitting there empty.  I blame the Titan for the BIG FAT BOX mentality.  There is no defense against the titan other than to hide your stuff in metal.  Breeders I have no problem with building themselves a BOX safety.  But this BIG BOX is a goto for everyone not only breeders.  It is ugly.  It lags.  And it's the one true hate I have of Ark.  Constructions should be aesthetic. 

Good defense is to build a base somewhere you don't need defense. As example we're playing on Ragnarok and built a base on a small desert island on the bottom right corner of the map. The islets there aren't even shown on the map, so it'd also make a pretty good spot for pvp too. 

If not on islands, then I suggest building higher up so wild dinos can't reach your base. Good spot for that on Ragnarok is the ruins near blue obelisk, where the little cave with cages and the corpse is. Not sure how that place is called. Also the big broken bridge near it. 

And other than that.. Caves. Then you just need to close off the entrance. 

Happy surviving! 

I like to frustrate would be raiders. An example is on a Arkpocalypse season I was living out of a raft, I built two extra rafts and blew them up with grenades to look raided, I then put the rafts together so they look almost like one big raided structure, but truth is one of the rafts is untouched. I then went ahead and spammed Plant x like you cant believe, with nothing but a phiomia and 3 dung beetles I laid down atleast 200 plants in a large area, and 200 is no exaggeration, it may have even been more than that. I put up multiple decoy empty structures around the plants, this all by the way was not around my raft but close by so as to attract raider attention away from my raft, it worked like a charm. 2 tribes tried raiding the field of plants and lost mutliple tames and a lot of c4 and resource to essentially clear out plant x and get into empty bases. My tribe log was pretty full of killed enemy players and creatures and tons of my plants getting destroyed. 

Needless to say my raft was never touched for the entire season and players even just stopped coming back to that area where I had set this all up. I can just imagine the salt when a big tribe goes out of it's way to clear an area in the hopes of a juicy base ( I mean I cant blame them with that amount of plants it mustve looked like a clan was setup there) and after spending hours dying, losing 2 argents, a ptera, one stego and using c4 to get into my decoy 4 x 4 bases. They must have been pissed when they literally got nothing out of it ^^. As for me all the upkeep I needed was tucked safely in my hidden raft, a phomia with more fertilizer on it than I could ever need and the resources to spam an endless amount of crop plots and replace them all in a days work 8). That is how you defend a base and piss people off while doing it.

You know someone is salty when after clearing out 50 plants and losing a few dinos only to get into an empty base, they decide to foundation wipe the decoy base and replace it with a sign that says "f u noob" That is enough salt to spice my meat for the entire month of a arkpocalypse wipe and man did it taste good :P  

4 hours ago, Gr3t3 said:

As example we're playing on Ragnarok and built a base on a small desert island on the bottom right corner of the map. The islets there aren't even shown on the map, so it'd also make a pretty good spot for pvp too.

Building close to water is never a good idea. But it is easy fun raiding such bases with how rafts work. 

When i build a new base, i first of all think about how much space i will need and be able to defend in the future. Then i look for a spot that is hard to attack, but does not limit the defender too much. I then think of how i would attack that spot and design my defenses accordingly. I always try to get turrets at various angles and on higher points/cliffs if possible. Its harder to flak run those compared to a simple turret tower on the ground. Spice the whole thing up with some traps and unexpected things, then spam as much as you can to prevent the enemy from placing fobs near your base. Make sure there are no blind spots or weak points in your design. Try to get as many turrets as you can, mix ps x with autos and put them on the right settings. Always have backup gear and resources ready for the case of an attack.

And be sure to do what SMP said and be a good politician.

a simple and effective base defense is different on every server and map, for rag we have paras everywhere, along with turrets packed to the brim, our base is a maze not even we can sometimes get though, and if they do happen to get into our base we have traps everywhere. we store most of our stuff in pavlovas and we hide them under foundations. we have n=only ever been raided once when someone turned on us, even then they only got into our base and destroyed our stations. we do prefer to sort things out peacefully, but we are not afraid to get our hand dirty and lose a few tames.

16 hours ago, HoboNation said:

I like to frustrate would be raiders. An example is on a Arkpocalypse season I was living out of a raft, I built two extra rafts and blew them up with grenades to look raided, I then put the rafts together so they look almost like one big raided structure, but truth is one of the rafts is untouched. I then went ahead and spammed Plant x like you cant believe, with nothing but a phiomia and 3 dung beetles I laid down atleast 200 plants in a large area, and 200 is no exaggeration, it may have even been more than that. I put up multiple decoy empty structures around the plants, this all by the way was not around my raft but close by so as to attract raider attention away from my raft, it worked like a charm. 2 tribes tried raiding the field of plants and lost mutliple tames and a lot of c4 and resource to essentially clear out plant x and get into empty bases. My tribe log was pretty full of killed enemy players and creatures and tons of my plants getting destroyed. 

Needless to say my raft was never touched for the entire season and players even just stopped coming back to that area where I had set this all up. I can just imagine the salt when a big tribe goes out of it's way to clear an area in the hopes of a juicy base ( I mean I cant blame them with that amount of plants it mustve looked like a clan was setup there) and after spending hours dying, losing 2 argents, a ptera, one stego and using c4 to get into my decoy 4 x 4 bases. They must have been pissed when they literally got nothing out of it ^^. As for me all the upkeep I needed was tucked safely in my hidden raft, a phomia with more fertilizer on it than I could ever need and the resources to spam an endless amount of crop plots and replace them all in a days work 8). That is how you defend a base and piss people off while doing it.

You know someone is salty when after clearing out 50 plants and losing a few dinos only to get into an empty base, they decide to foundation wipe the decoy base and replace it with a sign that says "f u noob" That is enough salt to spice my meat for the entire month of a arkpocalypse wipe and man did it taste good :P  

we too done something like this, we had an army of rafts (10) on our server when we were starting out they were parked near viking bay. they were loaded with plant Z plants and a few turrets. the alpha tribe wasted so many mats and tames on our raft base only to find a box with a note saying wrong raft, they had to get through over half of our rafts before they found where our real base was, by the time they got to it we already had a proper base set up in the desert. so i dont know why but they still decided to try and raid our decoys, i guess they though one of them had loot in them. we looked at our tribe log and holy damn, they lost 10 wyverns, 20 ptera, about 30 dimorphs, 5 argents and a lot more. they were so salty after that if they entered the sea, instead of the water leaving their bodies the water in the sea went into them. ( you have to understand diffusion to get that joke). anyway they rage quit when we done continued to trick them, every time they figured out where our base was we moved and left a nice surprise for them. when the attempted to raid our desert base we had loaded it with C4 so if they did get through the wave or turrets we would be sitting a small distance away watching through spyglasses. we kill their entire army and them selves when we triggered the bombs. i know it sounds dumb to destroy the entire base but we loved having fun with them and the server made it easy to build in metal.

16 hours ago, johnm81 said:

Those islets would make a horrible base location in Rag. What are you thinking?

They're so far out from the mainland, most players just don't go to that area at all. Only reason to go there are the oil veins, but I doubt anyone will go there from the other side of the map just for oil. Plus desert overall doesn't have any spawn points, which is also a good thing, isn't it?

Instead of grumpy quoting try explaining your thoughts more so we could learn from your experiences, including me ;)  

13 hours ago, Gr3t3 said:

They're so far out from the mainland, most players just don't go to that area at all. Only reason to go there are the oil veins, but I doubt anyone will go there from the other side of the map just for oil. Plus desert overall doesn't have any spawn points, which is also a good thing, isn't it?

Instead of grumpy quoting try explaining your thoughts more so we could learn from your experiences, including me ;)  

Wow so much to unpack here.....

1. Far out from mainland but right next to the best pearl spawn location in the entire map.

2. Oil veins, massive underwater metal node patches, and did I mention pearl?

3. Desert might not have spawn points but has lots of high end gear drops so lots of people go there for bps.

4. And did I mention pirates like me will rock boat your base and take all your plunder. NEVER EVER build a base close to water. Boats will have their way with your base defenses!

14 hours ago, Gr3t3 said:

Instead of grumpy quoting

Well aren't you a tender fragile snow flake.... Don't confuse grumpy with direct.

3 hours ago, solix414 said:

true, but if you level nothing but health and rely on numbers for the damage/torpor output, they are incredibly effective. you could also go for melee. hp doesn't matter if they never get hit. also, this is just theory.

Won't work on officials, where people are running around with ridiculous stat dinos. 

Archived