The Ancient and Forgotten: Stego and Mammoth Rework Suggestions

Metallocomotive

Suggestion

The Ancient and Forgotten: Stego and Mammoth Rework Suggestions

Hello, and thank you for clicking on my topic!
I want to talk about two creatures who have been in the game for some time now.  Okay that's putting it mildly.  They've been in the game since Alpha, and the developers have neglected them in game.  I feel it is high time that the power creep for these two end sooner rather than later.  The Stegosaurus, what is considered to be the alternative to a Triceratops for early survivors, never received any TLC for when its three horned counterpart did.  And earlier still, the reveal for the Kentrosaurus showed a survivor outright ignoring the poor beast for its spiked relative.  Ouch!
The Mammoth is in relatively the same boat.  We haven't heard any news of its rework, and in game, it seems to just be a big punching bag for Rexes and Dire Wolves.  I'm sorry for being blunt, but in my mind, for what was arguably one of the strongest creatures of the ice age, this is a disgraceful tribute to the mighty pachyderm.  And so, allow me to share my thoughts on how both can be fixed, starting with the Stegosaurus.

Stegosaurus Fix List:

1. Left Click Attack - The Left Click Tail Swipe is the Stegosaurs singular way of dealing damage.  But the damage itself is mediocre at best, and the knock back is rather weak for such a large animal.  I propose that the dinosaur's left click is transformed into a wind up, where if a player holds down the left mouse button, the stego's damage will increase.  I believe any where between 1 - 2.5 times the damage, based on the length held down by the player should be balanced enough.

2. Right Click Bastion Mode - The Right Click would become a toggle ability called Bastion Mode.  While in this stance, the Stegosaur crouches and rears its hind legs while flattening its plates on its back.  This will reduce the damage it takes by 40%, but it decreases its movement by 70%.

3. Saddle Placement and Rework - The saddle for the Stego looks nice, but you can't go into a building 4 walls high if you ride a stegosaurus.  This is because the player will get stuck in the roof if they try to dismount it.  I recommend putting the saddle either on the side of the stego, or lower towards the head.  Also, would be nice to fit more people on this animal, maybe 2 more.

stegosaurus.png

Woolly Mammoth Fix List:

1. Remodel - The Mammoth's overall model looks ugly.  The hair looks like feathers, the body is far too wide, and the leg placement make this things run look as if it needs to take a poop.  Fix the animations, give this thing some proper hair, and redo the model so it looks a little more sturdy and not so rushed.  You'll solve so many problems if you do this, I promise.

2. Right Click Trunk Swipe/Grab - The Mammoth possessed one of the most revolutionary traits of its time to help it grab and consume food easier, a trunk!  So why can it not use it in Ark?  This right click trunk slap will push enemy back if it is too large.  But if the target is small enough, the Mammoth can pick them up with the trunk and then hurl them with the same button.  It can also do this with trees, making them projectiles.

mammoth.png

These are my two cents on two of Arks oldest residents.  And I feel that if anything, my ideas should be considered when it comes to the TLC of these creatures.  And Studio Wildcard, if any of you are reading this, I just want to say that I understand what you're going through.  The new map and Deinonychus are wonderful additions, but some times making the old things new once more can have more of an effect than adding a new asset.  Quality over quantity.  And to you, reader, thank you for sticking with me until the end.  Have a pleasant day, and good luck!

2 replies to this server topic

The Stego is already one of the premiere turret soakers in PvP so I don't think giving it anything that decreases it's damage taken much less by a whopping 40% would work too well. 

I am a fan of the expanded attack options though.

Likewise I completely agree on the Mammoth remodel and really like the idea of a trunk knockback.

I'll also jump on board the Mammoth should have a platform saddle train I see around this page.

Overall, good thought out presentation. Up vote.

Archived