Dalanna

Manticore in Boss Arena

Posted (edited)
On 8/26/2019 at 10:45 AM, flamron said:

We left our yuty unridden last night in Valguero beta so that we could DPS it with shotguns while on rhinos (5 rhinos). We lined the rhinos up in a circle around the yuty and the manticore seemed to land a lot on it. 

So I agree an unridden larger dino works wonders (at least the one time we tried it). Definitely worth giving it a go. Maybe use a tank rex or yuty if you have the HP. We also had a few  unridden deinonychus in there with us that we whistle attacked to the manticore.

3k rounds of ammo and we have about 1k left - that was running gamma and beta back to back. We did get the kill with the rhinos as well. 

He has a hard time landing on rhinos.  He seems to land the easiest on medium sized things.   (If you notice, he seems to land a lot more when Megapithicus and all his adds are running around; in short he seems to land on the monkeys easily.)  Note: he WILL occasionally land on a rhino, he just seems to have a harder time than say a rex or a yuty. Often he'll come down, almost land, and then instantly fly back up. Basically, if a rhino body gets close to being underneath his body, the AI thinks it is trying to be pinned down, and flies away. Note: he WILL occasionally land on a rhino, he just seems to have a harder time than say a rex or a yuty. Often he'll come down, almost land, and then instantly fly back up.

People have been using bait rexes in the center of the arena, but it's still not a guaranteed thing that he'll be able find the exact sweet spot to land, and often you'll see him dip down, fly up, dip down, come close to the ground, fly back up--because his stupid AI cannot find the perfect spot to get grounded.

I've wiped 3 times on alpha because I only have 3 tribemates and we don't have insane rexes. (We use rhinos and shotguns and  a bait rex; we hide in the front of the arena until he lands on the bait rex and then charge in.) Using the same exact strategy, I've killed Manticore with 7 minutes to spare, and with 15 seconds to spare on Beta, and it's all because he won't reliably land.  Just because one run is lucky and he stays grounded does not mean his AI will behave the same way on the next round.

Occasionally he gets stuck in the air where he's targeting something that he doesn't think he has any pathway to at all, and he just sits in the air doing absolutely nothing.  The only way to reset him is to call EVERYTHING back to the front of the arena to force a target change.

He essentially has a wyvern AI--which is fine when you can bring wyverns to a fight, but is not fine when 2 out of the 3 arenas he is featured in do not allow flying.  I don't want to have to ask allies to come to a boss fight with me just to make sure we have enough gun power to shoot him down. I don't want to have to wait until October to bring in grossly overpowered rexes just to be able to do a boss fight, when I can reliably kill Overseer and Rockwell with the same amount of tribemates and a similar setup.  I cannot do this boss fight on alpha--not because my dinos aren't good enough (they are), but because the mechanics of the boss I am fighting does not work with the dino constraints I am limited to.

Edited by Caerbannog
  • Like 1

to chime in like one poster said, there is no certain way to make him land. i will point out tho that me and one other tribemate regularly farm beta on official now. having only two of us in the arena seems to work out best. it seems more people confuse the manticore AI more and it doesn't land. it lands very often for us, sometimes we don't even have to use the shotguns. it's still random tho, it's likely we are just lucky.

We had some issues with him landing when we did the Gamma fight. Luckily we all had high level rifles, so we were able to chip away at him. My tribemate got the kill with his Fab Pistol! lol

We're currently working on breeding a few Velonosaurs to take with us next time. Have them concentrate on Manti while a squad of rexs chew up everything on the ground.

Wish us luck!

On official:

* Gamma : we did about 10-15 runs, lost one squad once (Manticore not landing)

* Beta: we did 4 runs, no squad loss (a few rexes here and there)

* Alpha: we attempted last Friday, we survived Dragon/Megapithecus with 17 minutes left on counter, Manticore tried to land, but kept bouncing back in the air most of the time.  3 pump-action shotguns with 260+ damage did not help, it has too much hp. Our rexes all had 800+ melee , it ended with less than 10% hp left. Frustration.

We are used to leaving 1 rex to aggro it, but this time, it didnt work very well - as you need to move when it tries to land on you, and it was landing super fast, thus hitting the rex and taking off again.

When Valguero servers are added to the official cluster, this issue may go unnoticed 95% of the time, because the cluster's boss rexes are overpowered. But the occasional not landing at all, will still occur until WC acknowledges the issue.

Manticore often refuses to land once it is alone on the arena. Still we've killed alpha with shotgun and 6 players with a lot of time left. We do use rexes.

What I've notices is that there are some spots in the ground that, if you place rexes there and the manticore focus on them it gets indefinitely stucked on air until you move them.

6 hours ago, Oldskill said:

When Valguero servers are added to the official cluster

Valguero servers are on the official cluster. However Allow Download Item option its set to false until october. Otherwise you wont be able to upload/download chars on Val.

Edited by arkark