Expanding Server Settings: Engrams

SapphireSam7

Suggestion

Expanding Server Settings: Engrams

Hello Everyone, 

I have posted this suggestion in the past as a link to others that it may work well with, and attempted to post it as one point as its own suggestion, but it was somehow linked under another. It was similar to the first, but goes into different details and has a few steps added that the one it was added to did not. 

The idea behind it, is to somehow be able to incorporate different mod engram sets without breaking the official-core gameplay. Essentially, opening up customization for unofficial, dedicated, and single player games/servers while allowing those who play on official servers the ability to continue doing so. 

First Part; Adding/Expanding the Engram Menu to all server setup varieties. 

Second Part: Adding Engram Selection Check Boxes. The idea is to make it so that when you open the engram menu or tab, you are give a few options as to which engrams you are going to allow access to your server/game. Those which are not selected would remain hidden. 

Examples: On a new Tab or Menu:

(1) Select the starting engram set(s): The first set would be to choose which engram set you wish to build on, either official or primitive engrams. Both could be selected if the host wished, but the minimum would be one or the other. I arranged it this way so that those that wished to play as either one or the other could do so. This way both parties can remain pure to their style of gameplay if they wish. 

• ? Official Gameplay Engrams
  • ? Primitive Plus Gameplay Engrams

(2) Select the add on engram set(s): Of those below, we have parts of one, but the rest is currently only available through PC mods. In the case of this suggestion, they are simply being used as an example as to how it would read. If used, those in this portion of the page would be optional. They could select all, a few, or none at all. Also, the engram sets listed could be added to or removed from as new mods approved for console use are added to the game. If this list were to grow, a limiter may be applied as to how many engrams can be used in game or how many sets could be selected. 

• ? S+ Mod Engrams
  • ? Automated Ark Mod Engrams
  • ? Advanced Architecture Mod Engrams
  • ? Armored Storage Stands
  • ? Castle, Keeps, and Forts Medieval Architecture

(3) Remove the following engram set(s): This is yet another example set. None are in game as of yet. It would simply add an additional function to help clean up the engrams previously listed. For example, for those that have their games set up where creatures cannot be ridden, hiding all the saddle engrams would clean up their engram screens.

• ? Hide all Saddle Engrams
  • ? Hide all Tek Engrams
  • ? Hide all Metal Structure Engrams 

(4) Removed Selected Engrams:

• ? Each individual engram from the sets selected for (1) and (2) above would show and could be checked on or off as preferred by the host.This would allow the host to remove engrams individually from the engram sets selected. For example, if they wanted S+ engrams, but didn't want the nanny to be able to be used in game, they could then hide it at this point so it would not show as an engram one could learn

Reworking the menu to resemble this setup would be easy to navigate, easy to add new mod engrams sets - without breaking official gameplay as they are all optional - and give the unofficial, dedicated, and single players a way to experience the mods without a full course mod menu. 

Now one of the issues that could be seen is the additional resources that many mods add to the game. This could be addressed a few ways; 

• Items used in the mods would have the recipes adjusted to use standard or primitive plus resources. 
  • Items used in the mods would be added to the game only if the mod is selected and the engrams therefore activated. 

As a console player who codes, admins, and plays on an unofficial server, I believe that adding something like this would give those in my situation more opportunity to customize our servers, include additional mods in the future- should ark wish to do so, and allow those who prefer to stay true to either the standard or primitive plus elements of the game to do so. 

It would also, by including the elements from both game modes, be a way to allow them to update together, but played separately so that if anything breaks the game, it does for both and as such will be fixed for both. 

It is my hope is that working it as described, all parties will be able to continue to play as they wish and those that wish for more, could have it without breaking the game for someone else. 

*An additional note to the inclusion of the primitive plus gameplay to the standard code set - I read somewhere that a primitive plus server that had been running for some time at one point had been accidental switched to standard gameplay. In doing so, the only things that were lost to the server were the primitive plus items. So creatures and items that were standard to both types remained. It was switched back, and rolled back and everything returned.  Now my purpose of this retelling however, is to point out that it may be possible to change primitive plus servers to standard servers, allowing players to keep their mounts and anything created using standard items. It is not the best scenario where everything is kept, but it does allow players who have been strict primitive plus players to keep a portion of what they have created over the years and would require only the rebuilding or crafting of anything lost. Again - not the best scenario, but perhaps better than loosing everything? The last thing I want to do is have those who have worked for years on what they have to lose everything. And if this helps as all, it may be worth it. 

Now I am a firm believer that no idea is perfect and can please everyone. And that belief is strong with Ark. We all play different and therefore, see each suggestion and idea differently as well. So if you have an questions, concerns, suggestions, or perspective on this suggestion - please let me know. 

And for those of you who have taken the time to read over this - it is rather long. Thank you. ? 

0 replies to this server topic

There have been no replies to this suggestion yet

Archived