Metal farming solo

OliverHero

There are several good areas for metal. Southern section of the desert there is a good area. Beware of Golem's, Yuty's, Terror Birds, Scorpions, and Sabers. 

The mountain separating Redwoods amd Desert has a good amount.

There is also an island down south that is very safe. Nothing but herbivores spawn there. Heavy in metal and obsidian.

I think there's areas up by blue/jungle too and the pillars in the canyon but not areas I farmed.

I use 4-5 argies. One I level Stam and weight. Probably 25/75. I use that one to carry my anky. I name him Lead. The rest weight only. I name those loader. Sometimes I'll name one of those Flint. I use that team all my resource runs except for wood which I use a beaver and mammoth team.  I go to the canyons. Get plenty of metal there. 

29 minutes ago, Ragamog said:

I use 4-5 argies. One I level Stam and weight. Probably 25/75. I use that one to carry my anky. I name him Lead. The rest weight only. I name those loader. Sometimes I'll name one of those Flint. I use that team all my resource runs except for wood which I use a beaver and mammoth team.  I go to the canyons. Get plenty of metal there. 

Beaver and mammoth? Harvest with Beaver and store in Mammoth? If so try Theri/Mammoth. An alternative is to carry the Beaver with your Argy and let it auto harvest.

11 hours ago, Ragamog said:

Hang on... why use a beaver if you already have a mammoth? Doesn't the mammoth harvest enormous amounts of wood?

I generally hang near the blue obi, I can confirm there's reasonably safe metal spawns along the beach, esp. at the volcanic bubble by the Forbidden Grotto and a little farther north just before the jungle turns back to beach.  If you head farther north past VB you'll hit Pelagornis Beach with lots of rich metal. Most is high up and best mined with quetzel or another player riding a carried anky, but you can drive an anky along the shore and collect plenty too.

There's also the cave Cymas mentioned, which is just before the west canyon entrance, behind the small beach with an inlet behind it. Chop the stones blocking the entrance to the cave and it's rich metal and obsidian galore. 

Those spots have always been way more than enough for my needs.

get a argy up to 5k carry weight so you can carry more.

Move all obsidian and crystal off anky to argy - argy gets weight decrease for that, anky doesn't.

craft a motorboat with multiple smithy's and a ind. forge on it that you can sail around the island to get closer to metal spots to collect the metal in - Use smithy's instead of storage containers as smithy's have the most carry weight.  place smithy's before walls, so you can get them closest to the edge of foundations on boat without taking up a lot of interior space.   use the smithy's to store processed metal, crystal and obsidian in.

my boat has 1 ind. forge, 1 chem station, 1 ind. grill, 2 fridges, 4 smithy's, 1 ac,  metal walls n' ceilings to protect most,  ind. smithy's upper half un blocked by walls / ceilings to make it eaier to unload argy.   plant speices x 4 on each side to kill approaching dinos.  2 metal spikes on front of boat to keep dino's at shore off boat.  3 exits, 2 side doors, 1 roof, so no matter which side a dino is on, I can still get out to help defend boat.

I'm solo 99.9% of the time, and this is what I do for metal gathering.  average 6k metal + obsidian/crystal each run with argy and anky between resource nodes and boat.

29 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

get a argy up to 5k carry weight so you can carry more.

Move all obsidian and crystal off anky to argy - argy gets weight decrease for that, anky doesn't.

craft a motorboat with multiple smithy's and a ind. forge on it that you can sail around the island to get closer to metal spots to collect the metal in - Use smithy's instead of storage containers as smithy's have the most carry weight.  place smithy's before walls, so you can get them closest to the edge of foundations on boat without taking up a lot of interior space.   use the smithy's to store processed metal, crystal and obsidian in.

my boat has 1 ind. forge, 1 chem station, 1 ind. grill, 2 fridges, 4 smithy's, 1 ac,  metal walls n' ceilings to protect most,  ind. smithy's upper half un blocked by walls / ceilings to make it eaier to unload argy.   plant speices x 4 on each side to kill approaching dinos.  2 metal spikes on front of boat to keep dino's at shore off boat.  3 exits, 2 side doors, 1 roof, so no matter which side a dino is on, I can still get out to help defend boat.

I'm solo 99.9% of the time, and this is what I do for metal gathering.  average 6k metal + obsidian/crystal each run with argy and anky between resource nodes and boat.

Can you perch on top of forge to unload?

7 hours ago, Oldster said:

Hang on... why use a beaver if you already have a mammoth? Doesn't the mammoth harvest enormous amounts of wood?

Yes but between the weight of the saddle and my own weight I lose some wood. Not alot but enough that it bothers me. That's why I ride beaver and transfer to mammoths with no saddle. 

8 hours ago, SnowboundGem said:

Doesn't the beaver has less reduction in the weight of the wood than a mammoth? Making mammoth more useful, Mammoth can also gather whilst on wander. It can defend itself,  It's no where near as squishy as a beaver. 

So something interesting is if it you set the beaver on wander it will attack trees when its even being held by a flyer, so if you have no trees in your area and your base is too small to store a quetzal then the beaver is more useful because you can fly it out and have it auto harvest the trees. Plus its also smaller so you don't need to have a huge base to hide it on pvp servers. 

I use a crab and carry an anky with two or three argies following. My main base is on a plateau at the point where the mountains, snow and redwood come together on rag. Right by the ice wyv egg spawn. I carry the anky from node to node until the crab is max waited. I then offload the anky to the birds. Rinse and repeat as i work my way along the mountain ridge. Can fill a couple birds with 3.5k weight and max out the crab carrying the anky pretty readily. If i get stuck on a ridge i just throw the anky up using the crab and then jump the crab up and over. Works pretty well. 

We discovered that raft+dunkle is by far the fastest and easiest way to farm metal, IF you have underwater metal rocks near you. Dunkles are slow! 

Build a raft, place boxes on it and tame a high lvl dunkle. Then find some underwater metal rocks and ta-daa! During x2 we got our industrial forge full of metal in less than 30 minutes. Too bad we discovered that strategy after 3000 gameplay hours xD 

Archived