Update for the Linux/Mac Client?

2 hours ago, ianm77 said:

I'm frustrated that there isn't one consistant update that gets pushed to all platforms. Every time they update, I have to wait days to play a game that I paid money for. That is just to play on a friend's server. What is worse it that when submitting a bug report, it is flat out ignored. No response at all. 

I like playing ark, and will probably continue to play it, but I will never buy any other Wildcard game so long as they continue to ignore player base. Not to mention that one of their "suggested" fixes is to reinstall the game. I have never, in over 20 years of gaming had issues so bad that I had to reinstall a game before. Now with Ark in less than 6 months I have had to reinstall 4 times. 

I'm sorry if this seems to be rantish, but I am beyond frustrated right now.

Not at all rantish... Wildcard's decisions and behaviour are incredibly frustrating and they disregard the valuable commercial relationship between the player base (clients) and themselves.

In addition to that, there have been so many breaches of consumer protection legislation here in Aus by Wildcard and Steam... Steam was publicly punished for their refusal to grant refunds and treat consumers with respect. 

It's awful to get to this point... But it's not unreasonable to be annoyed at them - you paid for a product, you now cannot access it. This is an unreasonable, foreseeable and avoidable issue that the company consciously chooses to allow to occur... 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crickets. Bloody crickets. You need to give us an update Wild Card. This is unacceptable. Mac and Linux are both waiting. The lack of communication is entirely unprofessional.

Also, this thread should not be under Valguero specifically. Mac and Linux have not had our clients updated, which is also part of this subject. That is a general complaint.

36 minutes ago, RedHeadedStepChild said:

Crickets. Bloody crickets. You need to give us an update Wild Card. This is unacceptable. Mac and Linux are both waiting. The lack of communication is entirely unprofessional.

I totally agree. It's one thing that we have to wait for an update that can just let us log in and keep our stuff from disappearing. At the very least they could give us some information instead of a tweet directing where we can submit support tickets because they already KNOW some players' stuff is going to decay! This new DLC was supposed to be fun and exciting but for all of us left in the dust it's nothing but frustration and disappointment. 

MAKE VALGUERO WORK ON MACS

YOU CLAIM IT WORKS ON MAC BUT MACS CANT EVEN INSTALL IT MEANING WE CANT PLAY ON SERVERS THAT WE WHERE PLAYING ON AND YOU MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM TO DEFEND THEIR BASE OR EVEN PLAY ON ANY SERVERS! THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM THAT YOU NEED TO ADDRESS INSTEAD OF DELETING FORUM POSTS AND TRYING TO COVER IT UP!

3 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Not a single post on this topic has been deleted.

139937980_ScreenShot2019-06-20at2_33_53PM.thumb.png.88f49e78113af9ea54a04703eb3d3d0f.png

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/444600-make-valguero-work-on-macs/
the proof above clearly shows i made a post and then when you click on its gone a friend even upvoted it  and clearly searchable because Joebl0w13 quoted my post so i am going to post my very salty report i got the melted forum posts originally from a  steam review and now have proof you deleted my post

MAKE VALGUERO WORK ON MACS YOU CLAIM IT WORKS ON MAC BUT MACS CANT EVEN INSTALL IT MEANING WE CANT PLAY ON SERVERS THAT WE WHERE PLAYING ON AND YOU MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM TO DEFEND THEIR BASE OR EVEN PLAY ON ANY SERVERS! THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM THAT YOU NEED TO ADDRESS

• Volunteer Moderator
14 minutes ago, MistHelix said:

139937980_ScreenShot2019-06-20at2_33_53PM.thumb.png.88f49e78113af9ea54a04703eb3d3d0f.png

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/444600-make-valguero-work-on-macs/
the proof above clearly shows i made a post and then when you click on its gone a friend even upvoted it  and clearly searchable because Joebl0w13 quoted my post so i am going to post my very salty report i got the melted forum posts originally from a  steam review and now have proof you deleted my post

MAKE VALGUERO WORK ON MACS YOU CLAIM IT WORKS ON MAC BUT MACS CANT EVEN INSTALL IT MEANING WE CANT PLAY ON SERVERS THAT WE WHERE PLAYING ON AND YOU MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM TO DEFEND THEIR BASE OR EVEN PLAY ON ANY SERVERS! THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM THAT YOU NEED TO ADDRESS

Um... try looking up 4 posts.

I am also waiting on an updated version for Linux.

We only have 6 days before our dinos become claimable by others or die.

I have been able to SurviveTheArk but seems we need a SurviveTheUpdate site as well. hehehe.

Please, please, please update the Linux client to 297.  Or maybe even let us know what's going on.  The silence and not knowing is killing me (and my dinos)

Thanks,
LHammonds

17 hours ago, Joe419 said:

Not at all rantish... Wildcard's decisions and behaviour are incredibly frustrating and they disregard the valuable commercial relationship between the player base (clients) and themselves.

In addition to that, there have been so many breaches of consumer protection legislation here in Aus by Wildcard and Steam... Steam was publicly punished for their refusal to grant refunds and treat consumers with respect. 

It's awful to get to this point... But it's not unreasonable to be annoyed at them - you paid for a product, you now cannot access it. This is an unreasonable, foreseeable and avoidable issue that the company consciously chooses to allow to occur... 

Wildcard doesn't exist anymore...
it's changed it's name to Grapeshot Games... Don't buy from them.... I've boycotted them. They tried to sell me Atlas... a friend of mine tried to get me to buy atlas. Looked it up... Grapeshot Games, A.K.A. Snail USA... A.K.A. Grapeshot Games.  I will never buy a piece of software or a  loaf of bread from these people.

They think changing their name 3 times in 7 years will throw people off and they can sell new games to you like Dark and light, and Atlas.

Linux Client Not updating

So it has been 2 days and counting without a Linux client update. 

I have been doing some research and see several people talking on media platforms such as Reddit saying that Ark decided to not officially support Linux. This would make sense with the issues I have had since getting the game in February. Not only do the graphics not match what I see windows players have, but there are a large number of crashes, freezes, and other issues like waiting indefinitely for a client to update. 

My first issue with this is the fact that Studio Wildcard claims to release for "PC", however they are limiting their updates to Windows only clients. While Mac and Linux users may be a smaller portion of the community, often they are the much smarter people that know how to read, do research, and often fix issues on their own. It is hard however to fix something that can't be traced back to hardware or software other than the game code itself being the issue.

My second and larger issue is the fact that there is ZERO communication from Studio Wildcard. Bug reports have not even been acknowledged in any way, nor even looked at from what I can tell. The only real support seems to come from the community of people that have tried different things and when they found a solution, brought it to the community through various social media. Now I can understand a fear of backlash, and the unwillingness to deal with that by communicating things incorrectly. This is no excuse for not communicating at all. 

I have worked for several large companies. I know when communications must be kept to a minimum to prevent premature release of information. However, I was also part of a group at a large company working to improve the quality of communication from the top down. It took us years. There were still complaints and issues and we put systems in place to determine the validity of those complaints and handle issues. 

Now, I am not one to complain without having at least one idea on a possible resolution. 

I have read that the Windows 10 client works very well on WINE, which is available for both Mac and Linux. My suggestion would be to convert the SteamOS+Linux client to a WINE compatible Windows client that would get the same update as Windows does at the same time. Since it is the exact same game, then this would alleviate any issues with cross platform updates and would eliminate the need for a seperate set of game code for other Operating Systems.

Another possible solution is to release a windows client executable that is outside of steam but can only be obtained once the game is purchased in steam. The Linux community loves finding ways of making things like this work and there would probably be a working setup within a week or so. 

This is just my 2 cents.

5 hours ago, LHammonds said:

I am also waiting on an updated version for Linux.

We only have 6 days before our dinos become claimable by others or die.

I have been able to SurviveTheArk but seems we need a SurviveTheUpdate site as well. hehehe.

Please, please, please update the Linux client to 297.  Or maybe even let us know what's going on.  The silence and not knowing is killing me (and my dinos)

Thanks,
LHammonds

I agree, the most annoying thing about this is the fact that we don't get any compensation for our dinos and absolutely no news or anything.

It irritates the hell out of me Wildcard couldn't be stuffed having the Linux and Mac client ready to go with the Windows release, Extinction was what 3 weeks? I currently can't play on my own private server with my mates (partially my fault because I let it update I guess.....) they are all on atm rofl. Most of the Linux lads would be happy to come up with a workaround for using the Windows client, the biggest drama we have is with Battle Eye, Native it works sweet but through wine it's fubar, I don't even have the balls to mess with it as I don't want to be blacklisted. As far as I know Steam is working with Battle Eye to sort this out and we should have a solution withing the next few months (my own speculation). Really though Wildcard spruked this new bloody map as ready to go for Windows, Linux and Mac but screwed us over just the same, I'm not even interested in the new map, just want to play with my mates on our existing map. Yea I realise I can run through wine as I don't have Battle Eye enabled on my private server...

@shadowkyuubi I'd be keen to see that info as well if you wouldn't mind giving us an idea where you saw it?

There is a way, although i do prefer native linux, you can run the game under Proton. That is a wine version built in Steam. You will have to delete the old game files, although that was the case with me, but what you get back is an updated version and all graphics work (ofcourse, it is the Windows version) .

Only thing is, before this it fitted on my 128 ssd  but now i had to install it to my TB harddrive, slower, because it eats, with my mods and extra maps, almost 250 G, yes sir. it is true.

But what ever, i can play, aaaaaahhhh.  And i will get me a bigger SSD, that is for sure.

Hope this was a helpfull post.

13 hours ago, dynolexx said:

Yeah steam can't do anything at all... This is really f*cked up for anyone who plays official on Mac/linux since you can't get on AT ALL so you can't maintain your base/dinos... good ol' wildcard..... all this time and they couldn't resolve something like this?? 

this is not new, think with extincion it happen aswel. So have a friend with a pc ready with big releases so theyh can log in for you.... strange that they make a game for mac aswel but leave you in the dark after a patch and you loose your progresses..... yust make mac ready aswel with the pc patches sine they are on the same servers.... should not be hard is it??

39 minutes ago, Roverfoggarty said:

There is a way, although i do prefer native linux, you can run the game under Proton. That is a wine version built in Steam. You will have to delete the old game files, although that was the case with me, but what you get back is an updated version and all graphics work (ofcourse, it is the Windows version) .

Only thing is, before this it fitted on my 128 ssd  but now i had to install it to my TB harddrive, slower, because it eats, with my mods and extra maps, almost 250 G, yes sir. it is true.

But what ever, i can play, aaaaaahhhh.  And i will get me a bigger SSD, that is for sure.

Hope this was a helpfull post.

Where can I find this build? I will install it today!

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Update for the Linux/Mac Client?
  • Joebl0w13 locked this topic

Archived