Mod Contest Update and Community Crunch 41!

Jatheish

• Administrator

Welcome to the 41st issue of the Community Crunch! To those unaware this is a topic which primarily consist of content to share, made by the community, for the community! As well as any little changes I want to make survivors aware about, which happen within our community ;).

large.MOD-CONTEST-WW.jpg

Survivors!

Earlier this year we were thrilled to announce the first challenge for modders with our very first ARK International Mod Contest! Putting content creators, new and old, to the test through making their own ARK Mod.

Contest Extension!

The initial submission period has now changed due to work taking place on another major announcement this week, so we will be extending the entry-period for contests for a little longer. The new date for submissions ending period is the following:

·         Submission: April the 1st

This means that now you’ll have more time to work on your ARKs, nifty items, customized creatures or gameplay modes! We’re very excited and cannot wait to see it all. For those of you who want to take part in the contest, there’s still time! 

To start developing your ARK mod, use the ARK Dev Kit, a streamlined version of the UE4 Editor, to simplify the creation and sharing process of ARK: Survival Evolved which is available to download now for free via the Epic Games Launcher at http://www.unrealengine.com.

All entries must be submitted here by the final submission date and the winners will be announced on May the 15th 2016, after finalist voting, spotlight and judging rounds.

And here’s what you’ve got a shot at winning…

Mod Contest Prizing

Fifteen (15) prizes will be awarded. 1st through 5th places for each category (Best Mod, Best Map, and Best Total Conversion): 

• 1st Place: $10,000 in each category 
  • 2nd Place: $5,000 in each category 
  • 3rd Place: $3,000 in each category 
  • 4th Place: $2,000 in each category 
  • 5th Place: $1,000 in each category

So good luck to all Survivors who enter, we simply cannot wait to see what you cook up! (Existing Mods/Maps/TC’s and previous Contest winners are, of course, welcome to enter!) 

Primitive+ Developers Blog from our Community Mod Liaison, Cedric!

large.56d0986790f32_Complexminded1.jpg

Hey fellow survivors!  I’ve been busy brainstorming on new things to aid you in your quest to survive out there on the island.  The past few weeks have been great and the feedback I’m getting is invaluable.  I want to remind everyone that Primitive+ will have stability issues and the official servers are subject to more instability than the traditional ARK game.  Why?  It’s a total conversion that changes the way ARK operates at it’s core.  Also because I make mistakes.  It’s easy to think that because it has “official” servers that it’s invulnerable to hiccups and bumps along the road.  As Primitive+ matures, you will see it become much more stable and bugs/issues will be minor rather than major.  But make no mistake, while it may be a rocky ride at times it will be one of the best roller-coasters you’ll ever ride :)

large.wip_boat.PNG

To keep up with the fast pace of the mod, I’ve started a https://trello.com/b/l8cnNQ04/primitive to help you keep track of what I’m working on.  It’s really the only way I know what I’m working on!  That will always be the most up to date information you can find.  In addition, I started a Reddit page for fans to share some of these awesome primitive setups I’ve been seeing.  Feel free to share some of your tips for adjusting to the Primitive+ lifestyle.  And if you still want more, I’ve also started a Discord where you can come and hang out!  I think those that have been following this mod know my passion for seeing it become the only primitive experience.

large.wip_explosivebarrel.PNG

In future blogs, I’ll be bringing you behind the scenes access to some of the new things that will be added to the mod.  You’ll be seeing some of the art and the inspiration for the content that’s being added.  Coming soon you will be able make a new longbow, bake cookies, and even make a little mead with all that honey you’ve been hoarding.  Oh, and be sure to take care when cooking all those new delicacies.  You never know, you could find yourself ill and in need of a remedy ;-).  Until next time…

large.wip_clay.PNG

Ced

Fan Feature

SurvivingtheARKcast - A Community Podcast!

http://survivingthearkcast.libsyn.com/

Winter Is Coming - Mod trailer by GamerPerfection for Clipz’s The Ark Game of Thrones Mod!

Mod details: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=642114461

Metatrox’s Fanmade Dossier Template!

You can grab his awesome dossier template here: http://www.mtxgaming.com/ark-dossier-template.html

ARK: Survival Evolved - 12 Hours of Farming… by ThickFreedom

Domtheduck’s Aviary!

AJqIS7A.jpg

Trix2806’s Carno Geme!

image.jpeg.b1092973c83b76799ca9a4dfabf22

Pimp My Dodo Metal Armour by Papukaijah!

94FDCBDCAD4643C0B4DB778DF7F5F0CA7C5BD543

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=641591048

With an upcoming bonus to look forward to as well…

7D1DF6FA2E9672111D3DBB9E00A9C8F8E6920E90

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=638538552

Sharkcat’s Primal Tiger

1CDAD6603D071AAFD6D788AFEB5738927B1644CC

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639373148

Bionic T-Rex Sketch and T-Rex Timelapse Video by Larry

22F392BA3434710F9EB7C51292AF01F038880870

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=642395724

Saurischia Theropoda Karnivor by Gunsmoke™

BCF26C016D893A1BE9D52F71C2B065F4048CA2AD

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639604335

Fanmade Dosser: Ambul by Screkstoff

EE2CBDD89758012B1A19A38827169B7B04076230

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=640853985

Fanmade Dosser: Kraken by Shadlos

C428E4734E2E524A820D0272427396E2063082C5

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=640500770

Fanmade Dosser: Machimosaurus by Shadlos

09EA0E0ECD52B142F063499F436F5F1508DF7F9D

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=644973697

Fanmade Dosser: Onchopristis by Shadlos

F39968940C12EB4F0C571614C014CD7DD44A27A7

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=642666032

Fanmade Dossier: Tupuxuara by Shadlos

431575ADB72526B9DDAFB10ECD064B3638A89CC9

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=641392167

Fanmade Dossier: Kentrosaurus by Scriffignano

D57F0017CC912BC8704FAE46950573DE542F11A0Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=643381058

Community Contests!

ARKitect

This is an award given to Survivors to celebrate the amazing structures you build. These bases are judged based upon a number of different factors such as their creativity, uniqueness, how fun of a base it is, the difficulty of building it, the functionality it provides and much more!

The ARKitect for Community Crunch 41 is..

It’s a tie! We had a lot of fantastic entries again and our two winners for this Crunch are:

Valoule for his Fluffy Machine!

1.jpg.963823c284b1806fafc86af33f84fd93.j

3.jpg.fd00d09b415d0f17e335e7d23a0896f9.j

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/0cfWv

And..

Fresonis for their Round Tower!

large.rsz_3a90.jpg.468e785f4996ec21c1668

They’ve even kindly included a guide on how to build it!

Fantastic work guys! Close one too. We'd also like to give an honourable mention to the following Survivors for their awesome arkitecture work!

FataL1ty’s Statue of Liberty!

large.20160310203842_1.jpg.f724158dea915

The Lime Inc for their Fallsview Shopping Center and Trading Post 

Be sure to check out the other entries in our contest thread below, there’s loads of great videos to see!

ARKArt

This is an award given to survivors who have created beautiful work of art for that week! As always, the artwork is not being judged on the quality of the screenshot or the graphical settings used, but instead what you have managed to draw and produce in game.

The ARKArtist for Community Crunch 41 is…

± for..

Resting by the campfire

20160310234940_1.thumb.jpg.c90528492f0a6

Fantastic work Mr. ±! 

We'd also like to give an honourable mention to the following Survivor for their ARKArt!

Okim for..

Ray the Spino!

large.20160311221804_1.jpg.4e23abc46d87d

Thank you for all the entries this week guys! Congratulations to all our winners and if you’d like to take a look at what all the survivors submitted, you can do so here:

Workshop Spotlight!

Workshopper: Skellig

Total Conversion: Otherworld - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=631838798

Hey! Thanks for joining us! Could you introduce yourself to the community and let us know about the mods you're working on?

My name is Paul, my nickname is Skellig and I am currently working on "Total Conversion: Otherworld"

large.1.jpg

For those who haven’t heard of the Otherworld, do you think you could tell us what it is? 

When my friend and I started coming up with the concept, we were inspired by the idea of Tower Defense and cooperative games. We wanted to make survival, providing teamwork. With each wave the need to unite with other players becomes larger. When we created the map, we were inspired by DotA map.

large.4.jpg

How very exciting! We’ve been very keen to play these sort of mods for ARK. Big fan of the old WC3 mods so it’s nice to see them starting to show up in our workshop! For someone who hasn’t experienced this type of game mode yet, what can they expect to see playing through it?

You will be able to test yourself on the battlefield, where the advantage is not always on your side. It's a pretty unique experience. Some waves will make you really nervous. Your look appear picturesque landscapes, crumbling ruins and grisly cave.

large.2016-02-28_00013.jpg

That sounds like a lot of fun! From what we can see so far, it does look really cool. Tell us more about the combat. How many waves will players need to fight through? And after they have successfully completed all the waves, is the game complete or is there more to do?

There are 35 waves, each next is more dangerous than previous. Battling with them you will receive the necessary resources, for which you can create more powerful weapons and equipment. You can also build turrets, which will be very useful in the later stages of the game. All of these things will allow you to resist the next wave. If you complete all the waves the game will be over.

large.2.jpg

This sounds like an awesome experience and I cannot wait to try it out! What sort of modifications did you have to make for the game-mode? Are the dinos rebalanced? Stat adjustments? New weapons?

We have changed the balance of all dinosaur species. In this mode there is no herbivores. All dinosaurs, without exception, will crave your blood. We have made improvement for most weapons and armor in the game. Each modification has visual differences from weaker. Improvements really make you much stronger, dressed in the most improved outfit you will be able to resist even under the strongest hits, and your weapon will cause enormous damage. We have introduced a unique resource for crafting and weapon upgrades. Also you can receive souls from killing creatures in the special spawns, which you can use to summon tamed creatures. They will help you in the battle against the waves. Also in the game you can build turrets. We have removed the need to connect them to a power source. We also introduced some adjustments to organic turret. No need to put it on a crop plot, but now it needs seeds as ammo.

large.3.jpg

Sounds like a lot of work has gone into this so far, awesome! Do you plan on updating the total conversion or have you completed it? Planning any upcoming features?

We will improve our TC and aim to expand the features list. In following updates will be implemented 30 new waves, including both terrestrial and underwater creatures. We are gonna to fill the arena with water for these creatures. We are working on various kinds of new weapons and equipment. Also after completion of all the waves, some competition will be waiting for players, after which only the strongest one will get out from the Otherworld.

large.2016-02-28_00022.jpg

Fantastic! Really excited to see how the mod progresses. Tell us more about your experience with modding. How are you finding the process so far? How are you finding working with the ARK Dev kit?

This is our first mod, we have never used UE4 before. After reading a large number of documentation, we set to work and spent in the ARK DEV KIT lot of nights, learning its capabilities. ARK Dev Kit and UE4 generally provide a wide range of tools for modders.

large.2016-02-28_00018.jpg

Well for a first mod, this is a job well done! Keep it up guys! Do you have any tips for upcoming modders on what they can do when working with UE4 and ARK itself?

I would like to advise upcoming modders do not give up and do not be discouraged if something does not work. UE4 gives freedom for imagination, it is easy to learn and easy to use. You can make a reality of just any fantasy. The main thing is not to give up.

And finally, is there anything you’d like to end with before wrapping this up?

I would like to add that the development of our Total Conversion for ARK: Survival Evolved is quite time-consuming process that takes time, but it was worth it. We are happy that we have the opportunity to show people something of our own, and we hope they will appreciate it. If you have any suggestions to improve our mod, please leave them in the workshop page. Thanks for all the support and positive reviews about our work. We will continue to strive for you.

Awesome! Thanks a lot Skellig!

That’s it for this week’s Crunch guys! As always if you’ve got anything to share please get in touch and be sure to follow us on Twitter at @survivetheark - Facebook at www.facebook.com/survivetheark and Reddit at www.reddit.com/r/playark

Thanks everyone!

All the best,

Wildcard Jat and the ARK Survival Evolved Team

View full article

38 minutes ago, Fresonis said:

Woooooottttttt Awesome, that's my 3th ARKitect Award!! :D 
Also Gratzz to @Valoule for his ARKitect Award, also 3th or something like that ;)

Also Gratzz to @ ±  for ARKart Award!!

Again its nice to see al the creativity!! Keep up the nice work people!!!! :D

u mean 3rd ? gratz all the community stuff looks amazing.

• GP pinned this topic

I'd like to clarify a few things about my Lamia and Kraken dossiers.

1. I've had ARK DEV support on making them.

2. There aren't too many "other sentient species" dossiers. Rather than go with the usual denisovan or Neanderthal, I wanted to do something different. The idea for Kraken came to me in the last Community Crunch, about people talking about how when Tusotuethis came out, "It would be their Kraken". Remembering this Kraken that I used, I decided to do it as a bit of a troll. Hell, if there's a dossier of a bulbous ball of flesh called a "mansealthing" (it is the size of a giga and stronger, look it up), it's not the worst dossier out there. However, I will admit: the Kraken I used isn't exactly meant for anything pg-13. It, in it's original intent, is meant for erotica, in the least of terms, so obviously it's going to be dressed not quite modest, and they don't behave too modest either. I wanted to take something like that and turn it into something more Pg-13, yet still hinting to it's dark behavior and backstory. The whole purpose behind them are alternate races that are aggressive/oppressive to humans because mankind was aggressive/oppressive to them to begin with, when all they wanted was to exist in peace.

Also, about my Monster Hunter Dossiers? I made the first, Dinovaldo, for fun. Soon I made more, and now I've actually gathered a team, and we're planning to make a Monster Hunter Mod, now, since we've got a team with the skills and access to the materials. That's why I made Deviljho, Ceadeus, Alatreon, and Lagiacrus: we have access to their models. So, i'm actually releasing these MH dossiers as teasers for an actual MH mod in the works.

Lastly, i'll say this:

I'm all for criticism. I'm not up for asinine behavior, and neither are the devs. Keep it up, and you'll find yourself gone from this site in a heartbeat.

Also, if you're still gonna complain about my Kraken and Lamia? I've got more coming, so I can confirm the following:
Thunderbird, Salamander, Mothman, Wyvern, Jinko, and Arachnae.

Learn more about the species that are antagonistic to people due to the fact humans persecuted them in the first place because they looked different. In other words, these are the species who are on the brink of extinction due to the sheer and complete stupidity and vile disgustingness of mankind's true behavior (Ie: recent Trump rallies, anyone?). 

Cheers! <3

1 hour ago, Shadlos said:

I'd like to clarify a few things about my Lamia and Kraken dossiers.

1. I've had ARK DEV support on making them.

2. There aren't too many "other sentient species" dossiers. Rather than go with the usual denisovan or Neanderthal, I wanted to do something different. The idea for Kraken came to me in the last Community Crunch, about people talking about how when Tusotuethis came out, "It would be their Kraken". Remembering this Kraken that I used, I decided to do it as a bit of a troll. Hell, if there's a dossier of a bulbous ball of flesh called a "mansealthing" (it is the size of a giga and stronger, look it up), it's not the worst dossier out there. However, I will admit: the Kraken I used isn't exactly meant for anything pg-13. It, in it's original intent, is meant for erotica, in the least of terms, so obviously it's going to be dressed not quite modest, and they don't behave too modest either. I wanted to take something like that and turn it into something more Pg-13, yet still hinting to it's dark behavior and backstory. The whole purpose behind them are alternate races that are aggressive/oppressive to humans because mankind was aggressive/oppressive to them to begin with, when all they wanted was to exist in peace.

Also, about my Monster Hunter Dossiers? I made the first, Dinovaldo, for fun. Soon I made more, and now I've actually gathered a team, and we're planning to make a Monster Hunter Mod, now, since we've got a team with the skills and access to the materials. That's why I made Deviljho, Ceadeus, Alatreon, and Lagiacrus: we have access to their models. So, i'm actually releasing these MH dossiers as teasers for an actual MH mod in the works.

Lastly, i'll say this:

I'm all for criticism. I'm not up for asinine behavior, and neither are the devs. Keep it up, and you'll find yourself gone from this site in a heartbeat.

Also, if you're still gonna complain about my Kraken and Lamia? I've got more coming, so I can confirm the following:
Thunderbird, Salamander, Mothman, Wyvern, Jinko, and Arachnae.

Learn more about the species that are antagonistic to people due to the fact humans persecuted them in the first place because they looked different. In other words, these are the species who are on the brink of extinction due to the sheer and complete stupidity and vile disgustingness of mankind's true behavior (Ie: recent Trump rallies, anyone?). 

Cheers! <3

I love it, good job. This game has a M Rating now so go for it

• Jen unpinned this topic