best metal spot

MobY

XWsFtcr.png

1) Blue Ob Surface cave entrance
  - WARNING: Entrance requires eating Aggerveric Mushrooms. Dizzy spore field!!!
  - WARNING: Back of the cave is on fire during day time and will melt you.
  - WARNING: Back of the cave has nameless that spawn during the day
  - Still wanting to go here? Ok go for it. 

2) Green Ob Surface cave entrance - Super safe location
  - Requires ziplines or a ramp up.
  - Nothing hostile spawns here
  - None of the cave is on fire during day (But does get HOT! - Bring water)
  - Tons of Keratin (Bones) too
  - Downside: Pretty spaced out, but enough metal to pull off a good run.
  - RISK: If someone goes to surface, they can kite Reapers down. Consider this if you leave an Anky up there.

3) The holy grail. Find the waterfall at the end of the northernmost river. Looking out into the blue, to the left is a platform hovering on the side of the wall.
You can zipline over to this platform on a Ravager. This entire area is filled with metal, and minimal hostiles. No nameless spawns here.
  - Bonus: Has Obsidian too.
  - Natural temperature hatches Anklyo eggs. Bring an egg and raise it on this platform and build shelter for it.

But overall, the entire blue zone is filled with metal everywhere. But impractical to take an anky elsewhere. I recommend #3

2 hours ago, Aikar said:XWsFtcr.png

1) Blue Ob Surface cave entrance
  - WARNING: Entrance requires eating Aggerveric Mushrooms. Dizzy spore field!!!
  - WARNING: Back of the cave is on fire during day time and will melt you.
  - WARNING: Back of the cave has nameless that spawn during the day
  - Still wanting to go here? Ok go for it. 

2) Green Ob Surface cave entrance - Super safe location
  - Requires ziplines or a ramp up.
  - Nothing hostile spawns here
  - None of the cave is on fire during day (But does get HOT! - Bring water)
  - Tons of Keratin (Bones) too
  - Downside: Pretty spaced out, but enough metal to pull off a good run.
  - RISK: If someone goes to surface, they can kite Reapers down. Consider this if you leave an Anky up there.

3) The holy grail. Find the waterfall at the end of the northernmost river. Looking out into the blue, to the left is a platform hovering on the side of the wall.
You can zipline over to this platform on a Ravager. This entire area is filled with metal, and outside of a Megapithecus that spawns (which you can avoid), pretty safe. No nameless spawns here.
  - Bonus: Has Obsidian too.
  - Natural temperature hatches Anklyo eggs. Bring an egg and raise it on this platform and build shelter for it.

But overall, the entire blue zone is filled with metal everywhere. But impractical to take an anky elsewhere. I recommend #3

I built my base by the entrance to the Green obelisk cave and I go in there all the time to get metal. You are wrong about no hostiles spawning in there. On several, I mean several occasions, I've had raptor packs spawn in there.

15 hours ago, TravisMichael said:

I built my base by the entrance to the Green obelisk cave and I go in there all the time to get metal. You are wrong about no hostiles spawning in there. On several, I mean several occasions, I've had raptor packs spawn in there.

Man you must of been super unlucky. Been months with no spawns up there. Everyone just leaves ankys sitting about. Unless its a difference on platform?

• 3 weeks later...

can only help you from my perspective but I have metal resource outpost that services all my other servers . blue zone . anywhere really . my outpost is near blue cave entrance . if you plan right , its amazing how much you can harvest . officials on two times weekend myself and one tribe member farm 15 forges with crab and anky with tek suit in 35 mins . after cooking which we come back to we have nearly 90k ingots from that one harvesting session. so easily the best map for metal by far . make sure you have light pets

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure recent updates have adjusted spawns, as that cliff edge in blue does have more hostiles spawning on it now at least on the server I play in base game now.

I don't know if primitive plus had different spawn possibilities, but it use to be safe on Prim+, but now on SE I am seeing hostiles there, but nothing too crazy so far.

Occasional snake

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 7:06 PM, SpectreR1 said:

Besides using an Anky with a Crab is there any other way of doing Metal?

On Aberration, its kinda just the case that using a Crab and Anky is as good as it gets.  You can weight-pump a Ravager for the reduction it gives maybe?  Ravagers can easily reach 3000-4000 weight (stat-tested with a Ravager having 37 points in weight which is 870 weight, as its birth-stat), with a full investment in weight.  You'd have to transfer all the weight though, whereas with a Crab, you just pick up the Pokey and bring it to the forges.

Now that I think about it, a Ravager might work.

i don't think the ravager will get the weight reduction on raw metal.  You could have them on follow and fill them up , but they sort of get under the kark and then you get stuck.   Not really worth the hassle.  you would have a kark following you with an anky in it's claw as a backup to move to once u fill up the first one.  But honestly, with teleporters there's no need.  You can get metal faster there w/ the kark and anky than any other map any other way.

34 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

i don't think the ravager will get the weight reduction on raw metal.  You could have them on follow and fill them up , but they sort of get under the kark and then you get stuck.   Not really worth the hassle.  you would have a kark following you with an anky in it's claw as a backup to move to once u fill up the first one.  But honestly, with teleporters there's no need.  You can get metal faster there w/ the kark and anky than any other map any other way.

50% reduction on mats, including raw metal.  And only raw metal:  The Ravager doesn't reduce cooked ingot weight.

Source:  Staring at it right now on a Ravager, on official servers.

17 hours ago, TheDonn said:

50% reduction on mats, including raw metal.  And only raw metal:  The Ravager doesn't reduce cooked ingot weight.

Source:  Staring at it right now on a Ravager, on official servers.

gotcha, but they still will have a habit of going under kark on folllow.  It will still slow you down.

I'll tell you how much I got on 4x a couple weeks back w/ only the kark, an anky, and 3 teleporters.  I could have just used one spot, but I cleared my usual spot, then tried one someone else had a teleporter set up to after I cleared that.   

In 1.5 hrs time, on 4x w/ a 1090% damage anky not imprinted to me and a 4500 weight kark, I filled 2 vaults and 6 forges w/ enough metal to make 150k metal ingots.    No ravagers on follow, and no backup kark and anky set up waiting to continue after the first one was full, just fill up port back to base, , port back to metal, port back to either base or my other surface cave forge location, then back to farm metal, that's it for 1.5hrs.  150k metal ingots worth of metal.

Name one other map or method of farming metal that works that well.  On 2x weekends that's around 75k-80k ingots in that same amount of time usually for me.  If i had simply used that second location, someone else knew of long before me, it would have been more.

This is on pve official.

* an additional note, when a kark picks up the anky it gets a tiny weight decrease on the total anky weight.  When an argy picks up the anky, it doesn't get that discount.  I can fill up that anky up to about 4400 weight and the kark can still move and jump back.  If i did that w/ a 4500 weight argy , it wouldn't fly after i pick it up.

On 9/1/2019 at 4:16 AM, GrumpyBear said:

gotcha, but they still will have a habit of going under kark on folllow.  It will still slow you down.

I'll tell you how much I got on 4x a couple weeks back w/ only the kark, an anky, and 3 teleporters.  I could have just used one spot, but I cleared my usual spot, then tried one someone else had a teleporter set up to after I cleared that.   

In 1.5 hrs time, on 4x w/ a 1090% damage anky not imprinted to me and a 4500 weight kark, I filled 2 vaults and 6 forges w/ enough metal to make 150k metal ingots.    No ravagers on follow, and no backup kark and anky set up waiting to continue after the first one was full, just fill up port back to base, , port back to metal, port back to either base or my other surface cave forge location, then back to farm metal, that's it for 1.5hrs.  150k metal ingots worth of metal.

Name one other map or method of farming metal that works that well.  On 2x weekends that's around 75k-80k ingots in that same amount of time usually for me.  If i had simply used that second location, someone else knew of long before me, it would have been more.

This is on pve official.

* an additional note, when a kark picks up the anky it gets a tiny weight decrease on the total anky weight.  When an argy picks up the anky, it doesn't get that discount.  I can fill up that anky up to about 4400 weight and the kark can still move and jump back.  If i did that w/ a 4500 weight argy , it wouldn't fly after i pick it up.

there is no point to have 1090% dmg ankies, since the amounts from a node are capped :) go test with 600% anky and 1090% anky, u'll get the same amount from 1 single node.

Yeah,  but when a reaper king falls on your head,  you won’t complain about having 1k melee.

The point wasn't the melee though, the point was you can farm so much metal on ab so fast it makes all other methods and maps irrelevant to farming mass amounts of metal.

I am currently taking data on the best melee w/ and without personal imprints applied.  That anky wasnt lvled by me, and I just use it because it works.  But with all the talk I have heard about melee, there isn't a real hard # out there on what melee works best.   I've even heard that there's a point that the #s go down if you put in too much melee.  I'd like to be able to tell people , x is the best # to hit w/ melee for farming, where x is probably an integer between 600-1000.

• 1 month later...

Kinda an old topic but hey I need the post count. ?    I didn't see anyone really talking about dark weighting the Anky.   My tribemates and I will just chuck the anky until all 300 slots are full..  The Crab will pick it up and throw it no matter how heavy it is.  We usually go on a weekend and will go fill up 4 or 5 ankys then bring them back to our multiple forge setup.  Also for those who didn't know.  You can dark weight yourself by emptying tek storages and if you have the tek leggings charged up you can walk no matter how heavy you are.  Maks it nice to be able to move metal from AB to another base by yourself. ?

Tek Leggings lose their elements charge, so you won't be able to move as soon as you upload your char on the other server (keep that in mind for solo player)

also,

there is a HUUUUUGE difference between anky with 600 melee and 1000.

it' s completely noticeable  so i wonder how you were able to determinate that 600 is enough

from 600 to 1000 i  get an increase of ~60%+ more metal (pve official on 2x) 

cannot test beyond 1100~ish 

Aberration is a incredibly good place to farm metal. I used this map to export tons of metal ingots to Extinction.

All the three Surface and the Bio-luminescence zone have infinite supply of metal. All those strangely shaped stones contains massive amount of metal. In addition, these stones resupply pretty frequently just like the stones I see everywhere.

It is highly-advised to harvest them using an Anky, a metal pick is considered as a waste of resource.

I farmed 380k metal in a single 90% night, with a 1250% melee Anky.

Archived