Just Starting, Helpful Tips?

MixableSon

4 hours ago, Oldster said:

I used to be puzzled as well why people will ask things that are so easily researched, or that are clearly subjective preferences ("what class should I play?").

Then I remembered that humans are social creatures and many of us first instinctively go to others for answers.

So who wrote the stuff google searches find?  Cyborgs?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/17/2019 at 3:51 AM, Bruvas78 said:

Upgrade your beachbob house to stone, but dont settle for too long - move inland to be closer to resource and away from the large water bases. 

It's just courteous as well to free up the beaches as soon as you're able for new players coming in. Though personally I also move just to keep things interesting instead of sticking to the same beaches and flying to the same resource hills every time.

This time around, I've set my starting cabin up on the top of an inland cliff, which has been pretty helpful in keeping predators out. Predators run off of the cliff, then land to get killed by the Theri I also have trapped down there and can't get rid of no matter how many predators drop on it.

2 hours ago, JustAnotherBeachNoob said:

On the note of preferences. People want to hear the facts supporting each side. I do see a lot of threads though that cover the exact same topic though. 

I agree that a large portion of those asking are actually seeking the facts Not Mere subjective preferences of others. However my point was that they are seeking those facts from others in a live back and forth.

The literature on the personality Paradigm called mbti has some interesting points about how different people prefer to receive their information; intuition, the real world (facts), or others.

26 minutes ago, SMP said:

My implication is that it is stupid to make a new forum thread which will get 10 replies over the next 24 hours when you could get 100x the answers in .85 seconds.

the difference is that a good search will pull answers from years ago.

There are plenty of things I've looked for that google won't help me on because all of the answers are from 2016.

31 minutes ago, SMP said:

My implication is that it is stupid to make a new forum thread which will get 10 replies over the next 24 hours when you could get 100x the answers in .85 seconds.

I used to perceive efficiency as an overriding concern as well. But then humility forced a measure of empathy towards others, and mused a little space in my head for the preferences of others.

42 minutes ago, Scheneighnay said:

the difference is that a good search will pull answers from years ago.

There are plenty of things I've looked for that google won't help me on because all of the answers are from 2016.

Bah. Far more often than not in my experience those necro threads are perfectly valid, especially from only three years ago. In fact I just solved an issue with the Steam app on Android phones with a thread several years old.

16 hours ago, Oldster said:

Some alternative advice..

Keep everything.

Okay not everything but the vast majority. That charcoal that clogs up your campfires? Useful. That rotten meat? Useful. Only things I trash early game are Stimberries and Seeds. And obv keep Seeds until your farm is setup.

Use Default Official Rates

This is up to taste but if you play RPGs then 1x Official rates are perfectly acceptable (until breeding). Those advocating raising rates are interested in skipping large portions of the game to get to end game PVP or Creative Mode building. 1x rates keep all systems relevant (kibble matters, high dinos necessary for big bases, you actually NEED to leave base to acquire resources, etc).

Host Server not SP

There are tradeoffs but in the end I recommend hosting your own server (even if playing alone) rather than clicking Play Single Player. One major Pro is hosting a server fixes the resource respawn bug that gets pretty annoying pretty quick. However one Con is increasing game startup time significantly.

Different Maps are VERY Different

Island should be your starting map. Some examples of things that change between maps include; vastly different rates for gathering the same material (Aber seems lower on certain things), resource availability is dramatically different (Ragnarok is ez-mode), certain items are broken/not available (Aber has climbing picks and cliff platforms but grappling hooks and tree platforms dont work), the gathering dino meta per map is vastly different, etc.

Stim berries can be ok for making additional XP with stimulants.

11 hours ago, Scheneighnay said:

It's just courteous as well to free up the beaches as soon as you're able for new players coming in. Though personally I also move just to keep things interesting instead of sticking to the same beaches and flying to the same resource hills every time.

This time around, I've set my starting cabin up on the top of an inland cliff, which has been pretty helpful in keeping predators out. Predators run off of the cliff, then land to get killed by the Theri I also have trapped down there and can't get rid of no matter how many predators drop on it.

Courteous? What is this nonsense. Next you'll be telling him to be polite and tell other tribes when he is going to be attacking them...

10 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Courteous? What is this nonsense. Next you'll be telling him to be polite and tell other tribes when he is going to be attacking them...

If they're on a PVP server they shouldn't build on a beach in the first place.

On PVE servers, it's just "don't be that ass who builds on and pillars off every area that's safe for new players"

I would have to agree with @ForzaProiettile pvp is the best way to learn this game. You will not learn how to properly build a base in single player or pve, you have to learn strategies both offensive and defensive.

Start on the island, don't matter what game mode because it is the easiest map to quickly level up. Build a raft and go after all the explorer notes and dossiers, in a couple hours you will hit 60, easy xp.

1 hour ago, ThePryBar said:

I would have to agree with @ForzaProiettile pvp is the best way to learn this game. You will not learn how to properly build a base in single player or pve, you have to learn strategies both offensive and defensive.

Start on the island, don't matter what game mode because it is the easiest map to quickly level up. Build a raft and go after all the explorer notes and dossiers, in a couple hours you will hit 60, easy xp.

Hang on, why would a PVE player need to learn how to build a PVP base? The strategies are totally unrelated.

I'd also point out that bypassing a massive chunk of the game by speed leveling will force a new player to learn all the mechanics they skipped in one big chunk rather than sequentially. It's personal preference of course but it can be quite enjoyable to have mechanics slowly unveiled, especially in a game with so many intricate interrelations.

And frankly the early leveling (before about 50) is wildly out of scale with progression.

There are no strategies in base building on pve, just build a square with some walls don't even need a roof. You can always tell when someone is from pve do to their over confidence in crappy builds. Well the speed leveling is great cause once you hit 60 leveling takes quite a bit of effort, leaving lots of time to play with the early engrams. Now you could just unlock the grinder put it on a raft then grind up trees beside a toilet, but that can be monotonous and boring. 

@Oldster

1 hour ago, ThePryBar said:

There are no strategies in base building on pve, just build a square with some walls don't even need a roof. You can always tell when someone is from pve do to their over confidence in crappy builds. Well the speed leveling is great cause once you hit 60 leveling takes quite a bit of effort, leaving lots of time to play with the early engrams. Now you could just unlock the grinder put it on a raft then grind up trees beside a toilet, but that can be monotonous and boring. 

@Oldster

Certainly there are strategies. Siting near a thoroughfare to ease resource dropoff, structuring the internals to facilitate same, keeping tames out of sight range of gigas, considering nearby resource availability, quite a bit to consider. And believe me. Argies and Ichtys keep a roof necessary. They LOVE your kibble...

Fair point that one can play with the mechanics when leveling slows down, I'd just mention that games typically provide REASONS to do so, gives a sense of accomplishing something to go with the random tinkering urge, which isn't often enough for players (which is why sandbox games aren't super popular).

Not entirely sure what point you're making with the poo grinder. I certainly agree that one can make the game half job; that's what I consider the xp run to be!

here is a few tips for @MixableSon. i too was like you. so first off play on single player or yes host your own server. here r some good starting server settings to get you started.

XP: 3.0

taming: 5.0

water consuption: 0.5

food consuption: 0.5

and just slightly boost a few things. u can find vids on stuff like that.

if on the island spawn in south 2. i agree if u die before metal teir just recraft. unless u have valuable stuff like narcs or cooked meat and hide/ chitin/ keratin. if you play on xbox my firend and i are about to wipe our server and start fresh with the res tof the community. we are a pvpve server. everyone is nice and chilled. we have a started village, a market, basicly a server town where u can interact with the rest of the server. we hold events and other things. and my tribe helps out noobs ( no offence like u). i give challenges to starters when they think they ready. for e.g tame a bird and smelt enough metal to make a full metal teir in under a certain time period. if you complete the challenge you get a dino egg and can hatch it. the challenges are pretty easy for noobs. the hardest one would be to kill a pack or raptors using only melee weapons and simple fire arms. but that is easy as you get a mastercraft pike. anyway message me if you interested in joinning us to learn the ropes. if not then yes i suggest playing on single player. also i agree with @SnowboundGem gem about not  getting up over dying. i still die all the time and i am a pro. it dont matter if you die. so long as once u hit a deeper part of the game u are able to recover your loot.

I don't know that I have a lot to add to what others have already said - but I would also recommend at least a basic start in single player to get the mechanics down before diving into the world with others. You will quickly figure out for yourself how you like to play and what your priorities are - that will direct whether you opt for PVP, PVE, sticking with single player, etc.

I started in single player and honestly stayed there for quite a while. Social warfare was never my goal with this game (life is exhausting enough with real world d-bags, I don't need to come home and play with them online too) - I like building, breeding, and taming. I now have my own server where a select group of people and I play (PVE, and I know everyone on the server personally), but honestly, there are still nights that I will opt to go back to my single player maps and work on a big building project or just noodle around on a rex and see what's spawned recently. I do a lot of building and enjoy big, architecturally interesting build projects. Since I'm on console, and don't have access to the plethora of mods that PC players do, it's a fun challenge to see what I can do with the base game structures. 

You'll figure out quickly enough where you want to go with the game, but if you start in single player you'll get a much better handle on the basics. Survival is tough enough when flippin ants can kill you (not to mention the dilos and raptors) while you're just trying to figure out how to eat, stay hydrated, and craft a thatch floor for a starter hut. Also... don't punch the trikes in the ass... they don't run away like the parasaurs or pteras, and they can wreck a thatch hut in a hurry. ?

16 hours ago, Rattasaur said:

Learn the sounds each dino makes. You often hear them before you see them. Aggressive Dinos will often make a  call just before they charge, watch for that. Knowing the difference between the stomping of a nearby trike and a charging Carno can help save your life.

I second this. The number of times I have avoided death, because I recognized the sound of a raptor can’t be counted. There was also a time I was about to leave my wooden hut (I was just starting in a new server) and I heard the loud smash of a carno outside. Learn footsteps. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:13 AM, ThePryBar said:

@Oldster

Yep you can always tell when you are raiding a PVE players base on a PVP server. Always a good laugh when you see the base's generator completely exposed on the roof (true story) or turrets in cute little medieval towers that negate 50% of their vision (true story x50+).

It's always a highly profitable walk in the park with such bases.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:39 AM, Oldster said:

Certainly there are strategies. Siting near a thoroughfare to ease resource dropoff, structuring the internals to facilitate same, keeping tames out of sight range of gigas, considering nearby resource availability, quite a bit to consider. And believe me. Argies and Ichtys keep a roof necessary. They LOVE your kibble...

Fair point that one can play with the mechanics when leveling slows down, I'd just mention that games typically provide REASONS to do so, gives a sense of accomplishing something to go with the random tinkering urge, which isn't often enough for players (which is why sandbox games aren't super popular).

Not entirely sure what point you're making with the poo grinder. I certainly agree that one can make the game half job; that's what I consider the xp run to be!

Look unless your some kind of strange roleplayer type there is absolutely no logical reason not to power level to 60. There is no advantage to slowly working your up for some non existent sense of accomplishment. Chew on XP potions and be done with it. There is plenty of time later on anyways to fool around with thatch walls and ceiling to determine if they are worth making your base out of...

Press F to look in inventory's, especially while riding dinos. 

Best piece of advice in this game right there.

As an afterthought, ignore most of the bullcrap others have said, playing official pvp is the best way to see this game, but has a very steep learning curve. Playing singleplayer is useless, seriously useless.

Go play unnofficial pvp, with rates about x5-x8. then you will have people to ask questions to, easy grinding to learn how to level up and build things and taming wont take a load of time. Speaking of taming, google dododex, its a tame calculator, very important tool. 

The best thing is that unnofficial tends to be a lot friendlier than official, the paranoia is real on official and no one trusts anybody else.

Archived