Nerfing/redoing Alpha Predators?

Nerfing/redoing Alpha Predators?

Before you all tell be to “get gud” or whatever, here me out. I understand that alpha predators are great for high level players to farm for xp and prime, but they can be a pain for low level players. I feel like they either need a nerf to their speed (to allow players without insane movement speed to kite them away from their base) or have their spawn locations fixed (look at the locations that alpha raptors can spawn). What do you guys think?

3 hours ago, JustAnotherBeachNoob said:

Before you all tell be to “get gud” or whatever, here me out.

It's not so much a matter of "get gud", it's more a matter of learning the game.

Yes, alpha raptors are a big pain in the neck at first, they are also part of the process of learning to be alert at all times while playing ARK. This game is supposed to be dangerous compared to other games, you're supposed to be concerned, alert and maybe a little nervous every time you go out. There's a reason characters in this game are called "Survivors", you have to learn what is needed in order for you to survive the various threats in the game.

It would be nice if there was an area on each map that didn't have any alpha raptors, but if they did that then there would be lots of people permanently building in those areas, and then new characters would have to start somwhere else. The best thing you can do is learn how plan and prepare for alpha attacks as part of your regular game play.

i would just make a spike walls around my base, while having stone watch towers in the corners, if i saw am]n alpha i would bow shoot them.  remember you can bola the raptors, carnos and rexes are rare for me. raptors are my problem. once i get a rifle or some kind of firearm i always go alpha hunting. i do think they need an update, but to make more of them and make them cooler.

Tame a decent level trike, never worry about alpha raptors again. You can time the trike's attack to continually knock the raptor back, killing it without ever getting hit yourself unless you run out of stamina.

Honestly I've killed an alpha carno with the trashiest trash argent ever tamed, all you have to do is get in front of it and use the air brakes to keep yourself from moving, the talons knock the carno back just enough that it can't really hit you, and even if it does just fly off and kill something, regen, make another pass.

Nearly every alpha can be extremely easy to dispatch without super tames.

Raptor: Get a trike.  Sit uphill from it and aggro it.  Continuously knock it down the incline/hill and watch as it never damages you.

Carno:  Get an argent and sit on the fine line just above its aggro height where you can still hit it and beat it to death

Rex: Same as Carno.

Shark:  Ok, this one is kinda just a stats game unless you can lure it into shallow waters where it can't hit you near the shore.  Used to be able to kill any alpha shark with any ichthy, running circles around it and kiting but now most of your hits hit but do no damage and you need a bit better speed.  Probably still possible with enough patience and maybe a crossbow on an ichthy.

Mosa: Sit just above max aggro depth and it won't attack you.  If you're careful you can drive it into a corner and get it stuck.

Squid:  Same

Deathworm: Oil jars and an argent sitting just above its attack range

Wyvern:  Trap and bows

One of things that annoys me is when an alpha raptor aggros on to you when I am on a pteradon way in the air far from my base. I don’t want to take risks with what rocks the raptor can climb on. The other bad thing is that they can smash down stone structures. I have found that raptors can sometimes see through walls. I have had normal raptors Afro onto me through stone walls. One time I was sitting in my metal 1 by 1 with stone walls around it, and the alpha raptor just started smashing down my stone walls. Thanks for all the tips so far though.

Build your perimeter walls out further, if they're surrounding your immediate base then yes it is easy for them to still aggro.

If an alpha aggros you while you're on a bird, just fly away from it? They tend to lose aggro quite fast, just lead it over to a para or something and as long as it can't reach you it should start eating the para instead. Or fly out of render to guarantee losing aggro.

11 hours ago, Zerg1988 said:

if your leveled to that point you should probably have the dinos needed for the task at hand.

I am referring to purely for XP, for leveling dinos. Alphas used to be worth it but now they aren't really. I spent about 45 minutes once killing a 135 alpha rex after they nerfed the XP you get from it, my  Q didn't even get a level, or if she did it was just one. You used to get more xp killing one on a 1x day than you do these days on 2x, they nerfed the gain too hard IMO.

15 hours ago, Kodking194 said:

i would just make a spike walls around my base, while having stone watch towers in the corners, if i saw am]n alpha i would bow shoot them.  remember you can bola the raptors, carnos and rexes are rare for me. raptors are my problem. once i get a rifle or some kind of firearm i always go alpha hunting. i do think they need an update, but to make more of them and make them cooler.

Alpha Raptors are immune to bolas. It would be too easy xp for one.

13 hours ago, JustAnotherBeachNoob said:

One of things that annoys me is when an alpha raptor aggros on to you when I am on a pteradon way in the air far from my base. I don’t want to take risks with what rocks the raptor can climb on. The other bad thing is that they can smash down stone structures. I have found that raptors can sometimes see through walls. I have had normal raptors Afro onto me through stone walls. One time I was sitting in my metal 1 by 1 with stone walls around it, and the alpha raptor just started smashing down my stone walls. Thanks for all the tips so far though.

Yeah, agreed, they're very scary at first, so let's talk about how to get past that point.

A big part of ark is learning how to build your base so that it's safe from wild animals (and not just alpha raptors, there are bigger threats coming eventually).

* In addition to your building(s), make sure you have a fence/walls that are at least a few tiles away from your building as a buffer zone. You want walls that are at least 4 tiles high (the height of a dino gate) if you are on flat, level ground, or maybe even 5/6 tiles high if your base is on uneven ground. An alternative this method is to build your perimeter out of pillars, this can give you protection from anything big wandering in, gives you good visibility all around your base to see what's out there, and allows you to put Plant-X inside your courtyard that can still fire through your pillars to stuff that's outside. Just be warned, building a pillar perimeter takes more thought, it's easy to place pillars poorly and allow wild animals to wander into your protected zone. Also, spike walls are your friend, and they're cheap. You can put multiple layers/rows of spike walls on the ground around your perimeter and you'll almost never have to worry about anything getting to you.

* You can kill anything with a pteranodon, if you're patient enough. As long as you can tame a ptera of at least Lvl 50, you can kill alphas raptors and alpha carnos. Technically you could probably also kill an alpha rex but it wouldn't be worth the time. You should practice by killing things that are not much of a threat. Dive at them using the spinning attack, make sure you watch your stamina and go recover as often as you need to, rinse, repeat. It can take as much as 30 minutes to kill a Lvl 50-75 alpha raptor, but as long as you make sure that you have a safe place to perch and regain stamina it can be done. This is an important and under-rated skill in the current "meta game". Lots of people think that ptera's are trash and only good for scouting, but if you have a new'ish character on a new server you can accomplish a lot by learning how to be a skilled pteranodon pilot.

* Any carnivore (including alpha's) can be lured into the ocean by carrying a prey animal in your claws. Go pick up a dodo, fly around he alpha until they notice you, then maintain an altitude slightly above their head and fly slowly towards the ocean (if you have a low/medium level ptera be careful not to use speed boost, you really need to save your stamina). They might get distracted and run away from you if something shows up that they like to attack, but be patient. After they kill the other stuff they'll come back to you. Gradually lead them out to the ocean until they start swimming, look how far you are from the shoreline and then keep flying out until you're twice that distance from shore. Then angle up about 45 degrees and climb until you see the predator stops looking at you. Drop you dodo (which may lure it even further out) and fly back to shore. This will almost always cause the predator to just sit in the ocean until it drowns. Land animals are either swimming or drowning, they don't tread water, so if they're not following/fighting something they will end up drowning. I used to play on the Ragnarok map, in the Highlands area which was a giga spawn point, when I first started I used pteranodons to lure giga's out into the ocean 2-3 times per week. Once you practice the skill it becomes pretty easy.

* This gets even easier once you have an argy. They have so much stamina that you can easily lure anything out to sea and you should never have any fear of running out of stamina during the process.

really, i swear at one point they were able to be bola. might have been a while ago. i do remember when they first came out we bola them and kill the for XP, might be because to many people were killing them, anyway they need a few cool new abilities. like maybe they can call their own kind to fight for them. that would be cool 

Archived