Jump to content

Weigh In: Legacy, New Servers, and New Modes


Recommended Posts

Legacy servers have had plenty of time to transfer to new official servers. We transferred day 1 of new official and demoed all our bases on all legacy servers. We knew from the beginning it was on borrowed time... everybody knows legacy servers will eventually disappear so stop wasting time and get rid of legacy. Its like beating a dead horse... And give pvp a couple of 1-2 man tribe servers so homeboy on twitter will quit crying in all your posts @Cedric

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone who plays Legacy should know they are on borrowed time. It was a no-brainer and announced upon implementation. Let's not hear any bullploop about keeping Legacy, please.  That being said

IMHO, the game doesn't need additional "modes", as much as it needs the existing modes to be fundamentally fixed. PvE:   Make a proper land-claim system that prevents players from spamming pillars.

The very nature of Ark makes playing on a server a community experience, especially for PvE people. Ark is a game that insist on making you spend hours building, taming, breeding, etc. Legacy players

Hello.,

Limited transfer servers.

No admin servers.New but unsupported. If stuff lost it is lost i.e. no mess servers.

Edit: Leader board server. To add a challange/comparison.

 

Transfer pets and creatures that are beneficial. Not all dinos and items.

If a dino or item is used on a non intended map that hurt game play on other server networks take it away from the NEW network/networks.

Breeding dinos like rex giga should then by defaults be denied transfer even if they are intended on that map.

I think you get my point

Regards,

Fan of A Ruiz

Edited by ArianaGaming
Added a twist to my concept.
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChoppinBlades said:

Legacy servers have had plenty of time to transfer to new official servers. We transferred day 1 of new official and demoed all our bases on all legacy servers. We knew from the beginning it was on borrowed time... everybody knows legacy servers will eventually disappear so stop wasting time and get rid of legacy. Its like beating a dead horse... And give pvp a couple of 1-2 man tribe servers so homeboy on twitter will quit crying in all your posts @Cedric

Just like it was our choice to stay on legacy,  it was also your choice to leave. If you aren't on legacy anymore, why does it matter to you if they stay or not?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Legacy is just a remnant that will eventually be gone anyways. People know this since the wipe and creation of legacy servers and had plenty of time to switch. I switched a long time ago. I would recommend to stop allocating resources to that and just wipe them all.

BUT do something with the new servers. Something useful. There is just a small portion of players that temporarily enjoy niche-game modes like arkpocalypse, pvp classic or whatever small variants of the same game with just a few different settings. The point is that those resources will be wasted on such petty things.

The community wants new, clean servers of the classic maps that are overpopulated and sometimes tame capped (yes, implementation of your Code of Conduct Rules regarding dino parking since the launch of cryopods is at most minimal).  Those overcrowded maps are Island and Ragnarok.

Since you mentioned the need for new stuff for the community, bring NEW stuff, not some improvised niche-game modes. You have all those impressive maps from the modding contests. It is about time to bring a new map forth, a new Ragnarok. That is what the community truly wants.

And to keep things interesting, we need new creatures, for beginners and end-game alike, not just a reskinned raptor or some chicken to compete with the dodo. 

Edited by Oieru
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruel if you delete all legacy servers IMO. Already made them move their stuff multiple times and gave them the option of legacy in the first place. Of course the vast majority wont play or care about legacy so they won't give a crap if they're all wiped. The ark community can be pretty close minded that way.

It's up to the WC devs to realize by taking legacy away completely you're taking a huge dump on the small player base that still plays them. They support your game for a very long time and have endured everything thrown at them up until now. While I agree to continue to get rid of low population ones.. don't get rid of them completely. Don't promise something then take it away completely.

As for new game modes I personally don't care for them since I'm not one of the people who enjoys rebuilding. Instead I'd prefer fresh new maps/content which I can throw money at you for.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

PvX adapted for PC and Consoles. When it was released last year on Mobile, I thought this was a genius mode and I would really like to give it a try on PC. More on PvX:

 

I suggested that long before mobile rel. A pvp zone on a pve map. PvX is not my idea tho.

Got that idea from a pve cluster that had one server PVP A misstake during retail launch. So same thing but in a cluster.

Now I very much like to see leaderboards in  cluster or new servers. Edit: exuding PvP of course.no one wants to advertise a new mutation to other players in PvP

PvE would love to know in leaderboards the highest dino stat or highest bp found.

Regards 

Fan of A Ruiz.

Edited by ArianaGaming
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see Survival of the Fittest on console. I also really like the idea of  solo,duo or trio servers with a bit better rates and increased turret damage or something to make offline raiding more challenging. A no-flyer mode would be fun as it completely changes the main base spots people build in. I love this game and it's a shame to see it dying due to bugs and lack of change.

Link to post
Share on other sites

High Level Danger Zone.

How about a server we can venture to and tame unique [event] colored high level dinos and bring back. A map with nothing but high level dinos so it's extremely dangerous. Also no building allowed except on platform dinos. So platform saddles on a dino become very important to serve as a base for the best hunters. Idk just an idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to wipe all legacys u hurt thst player base enough already. Put up a list with like 20 legacy servers left and leave them till every single server is gone. Im speaking for myself and alot of othet legacy players. Too much work to start all over again. If they r gone we r gone too. Just give legacy 1/2 servers max for a new map if there is. Wipe all legacys but leave a few of each map and leave them alone. Dont forget legacy players are the players supporting your company from the beginning and still do so plz give them a little bit of love back.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be best for small tribes to either wipe every 8-10 months or at least have beginner servers that wipe every 2 weeks, people can start up on them then move to the main servers that don’t wipe so soon, another though would be to take take out small tribes as it has been a up a while and is really dying down at this point, as in no one can start up anyone as large tribes have taken over multiple servers, you should make even smaller tribe servers like 3 or 4 man as in the majority of players have a 3-4 person ark playing group. These servers would be best with 3x gathering and 2x breeding just like small tribes. In terms of maps include all maps but make sure to include more aberrations mainly as I noticed their where only 8 small tribe Xbox servers I believe. Extinction, I believe most people will want titans and manas removed, although it is new-ish content and I am sure u don’t want to take something you have recently released away it would only be best for the game as mana pvp is not all that enjoyed as it takes a long time and is does not always result on a winner. With that said I think your best option would be to make a pull to see if people want titans and manas to be non tame able. Of course .although I have not talked about pve, pve should can have manas as they are nice for getting around the map. 

Meshing, I would recommend that after being sent in proof of a meshing method that you simply take temporarily remove an item or ability used to mesh as meshing has been a problem a long time and their should be much more focus on meshing in particular as it is one of the most game breaking glitch’s that can occur and most devastating for people that have spent hours on end building up their base and breed-lines, that being said some items like chairs where removed in classic pvp, do that for the new servers no matter what they are.

Do not release things to “test them out” on PC first, if new content is being released, allow all players to experience it at the same time rather than just see PC play it and sometimes, like 25 man servers,  not even release onto consoles. With that said I would also recommend more efforts put toward console problems as I have played both Xbox and PC and noticed that you response time is a significantly quicker for PC player problems than Xbox player problems. 

Servers to remove, I believe as most of legacy servers are extremely built up and low population. I would recommend just removing them overall, though I do not know much about legacy as I do not play on it anymore. Official servers many of official servers have 3-6 different people log into the server, I would recommend asking those people to move to another server and remove the low pop servers. Small tribes, it has been a good life span but I think it’s about time you put up a pull for small tribes wiping or getting replaced with 3 or 4 man servers, to make it more fun give small tribes a rush period, increase gathering rates and breeding rates and then let the community know that small tribes will be wiping in say a week or something of that nature. This would allow small tribes to go out with a bang, everyone could use all remaining resources and just go all in raiding and defending. 

Last though is to look at and talk to the creators of MTS servers on PC as they have a way to prevent meshing as well as their beginner servers that I have mentioned previously. I think they have a lot of good ideas for ark and could overall make ark so much greater. 

I would like to remind you that all of this I would recommend setting up pulls for so the community can choose what we think we would enjoy most.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Cedric said:

Weigh In: Legacy, New Servers, and New Modes

We've been receiving feedback that the community is looking for new adventures. This may come in the form of new servers with the original experience or new servers with a twist.  You've been heard!

Let's discuss some relative numbers.  Consider the amount we have servers now as 100% of the servers available for discussion.  In order for new servers to be established, we'll have to take from that 100% (what exists today).  Currently, we look for low population servers or legacy servers when we want to open new types of servers - as we did recently. 

Legacy servers won't be getting support (mesh detection, enforcement, maps, etc).  There will be mixed feelings on this but do not expect legacy to be around forever.  With that in mind, what types of new modes/servers would you like to see?

Legacy players, what makes you stay on legacy?  The community you've built up?

Why can the saved data be moved  from the legacy server to the official one or open more server for legacy and stop treating us like second class people and give us support or open up the server so we can move all the dinos and characters over to official so were dont have to starting from level 1 and have to unlock every think again 

 

 

Edited by Bigkidz79
  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Further thinking of seasons on a map.

Events are much liked and what if a larger area could have a BREEDING event, time limited, after the event autodecay no longer updateed resulting in a part map-wipe.

As seasons complete a year, a full map wipe would be concluded.

Resulting in what all players want in gameplay/map including pillar wipes.

Simply dynamic maps.

Zones that are unbuilt,  map cooldown, count down for building new and so on.

Modes could then also shift during seasons from map to map. PvE turned PvP.

Regards 

Fan of Andy Ruiz

Edited by ArianaGaming
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Killerbob31 said:

I think it would be best for small tribes to either wipe every 8-10 months or at least have beginner servers that wipe every 2 weeks, people can start up on them then move to the main servers that don’t wipe so soon, another though would be to take take out small tribes as it has been a up a while and is really dying down at this point, as in no one can start up anyone as large tribes have taken over multiple servers, you should make even smaller tribe servers like 3 or 4 man as in the majority of players have a 3-4 person ark playing group. These servers would be best with 3x gathering and 2x breeding just like small tribes. In terms of maps include all maps but make sure to include more aberrations mainly as I noticed their where only 8 small tribe Xbox servers I believe. Extinction, I believe most people will want titans and manas removed, although it is new-ish content and I am sure u don’t want to take something you have recently released away it would only be best for the game as mana pvp is not all that enjoyed as it takes a long time and is does not always result on a winner. With that said I think your best option would be to make a pull to see if people want titans and manas to be non tame able. Of course .although I have not talked about pve, pve should can have manas as they are nice for getting around the map. 

Meshing, I would recommend that after being sent in proof of a meshing method that you simply take temporarily remove an item or ability used to mesh as meshing has been a problem a long time and their should be much more focus on meshing in particular as it is one of the most game breaking glitch’s that can occur and most devastating for people that have spent hours on end building up their base and breed-lines, that being said some items like chairs where removed in classic pvp, do that for the new servers no matter what they are.

Do not release things to “test them out” on PC first, if new content is being released, allow all players to experience it at the same time rather than just see PC play it and sometimes, like 25 man servers,  not even release onto consoles. With that said I would also recommend more efforts put toward console problems as I have played both Xbox and PC and noticed that you response time is a significantly quicker for PC player problems than Xbox player problems. 

Servers to remove, I believe as most of legacy servers are extremely built up and low population. I would recommend just removing them overall, though I do not know much about legacy as I do not play on it anymore. Official servers many of official servers have 3-6 different people log into the server, I would recommend asking those people to move to another server and remove the low pop servers. Small tribes, it has been a good life span but I think it’s about time you put up a pull for small tribes wiping or getting replaced with 3 or 4 man servers, to make it more fun give small tribes a rush period, increase gathering rates and breeding rates and then let the community know that small tribes will be wiping in say a week or something of that nature. This would allow small tribes to go out with a bang, everyone could use all remaining resources and just go all in raiding and defending. 

Last though is to look at and talk to the creators of MTS servers on PC as they have a way to prevent meshing as well as their beginner servers that I have mentioned previously. I think they have a lot of good ideas for ark and could overall make ark so much greater. 

I would like to remind you that all of this I would recommend setting up pulls for so the community can choose what we think we would enjoy most.

 

The beginner cluster wipe every 2 weeks is the best idea right now for all the modes in ark. If 3/4 mans servers is created it's should be a must :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Bigkidz79 said:

Why can the saved data be moved  from the legacy server to the official one or open more server for legacy and stop treating us like second class people and give us support or open up the server so we can move all the dinos and characters over to official so were dont have to starting from level 1 and have to unlock every think again 

Big, I had about 4k hours (beginning in ~July 2015) into legacy myself.  I had an enormous base, a lot of good dinos, Wyverns, Griffins, and tons of crap.  I even had a Rex saddle blueprint before Ragnarok launched, that I had gotten myself.  I had a bunch of awesome dino mutations, bright yellow Direwolves, forest-green-tailed Beavers, Magenta Argys, all my tames only.  100% original lines.  I put in a lottttt of time there, so I get it.  When the legacy/new official split came, everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) talked about how our server would stay because people were so active.  It didn't, people started disappearing daily because of the announcement that the official release of the game was a great time for WildCard to cut down what they were calling legacy servers, with the -EVENTUAL- goal of taking them offline.  They promised content to post-migration legacy servers, and they got it.  Considering they held up that end of the bargain, it would not be surprising to see them hold to their word to indeed scuttle all legacy servers eventually.

 

I personally made a challenge out of the legacy split, to get in the groove of playing again.  I started cold on Scorched Earth, on new official, and got the challenge I was looking for.  Lots of deaths, heatstroke, dehydration, Golems spawning on my base, bad ARK players running the scar and not killing or despawning Wyverns properly so that I step out of my front door and a level 95 lightning is saying "howdy-doo!" to all my tames with electricity...

 

Why do you think Cedric was asking about why people play on legacy?  Is it because he is going to report back to the dev team with people's individual responses?  I would imagine not.  If I were a betting man, I would put my money on:  With so few legacy servers available now I'm sure there was some talk among the WC dev team during this most recent migration about pulling the plug all the way on legacy, but ultimately they decided that it was best to just go with the previously used play-time model and keep the most popular.  I would also bet it is more of a rhetorical thought-exercise for the people that play on legacy to take stock of what they are doing on servers that have been, since August 2017 and in no uncertain terms, marked for deletion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, d1nk said:

Everyone who plays Legacy should know they are on borrowed time. It was a no-brainer and announced upon implementation. Let's not hear any bullploop about keeping Legacy, please. 

That being said; I think people would like servers with different rulesets and .ini changes that make the game challenging and fun outside "2x breeding 3x harvest" More unique servers (good chance to bring back NoTameNoTek and the like to Official network for example) No fliers official etc.

Obviously the PVP crowd will want some new pvp type servers but don't forget about the other half of your community: PVE

Its a lot less than half the community playing pve. Most changes up until recently have been made only with pve in mind, i think that they should remove some of the pve servers as most of them have very little people on them. This would create space for new PVP servers where most of the community plays. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kelv46 said:

Its a lot less than half the community playing pve. Most changes up until recently have been made only with pve in mind, i think that they should remove some of the pve servers as most of them have very little people on them. This would create space for new PVP servers where most of the community plays. 

Having played both modes PvP and PvE. Everything WC do is PvP oriented. This is why PvE wants to be distant from PvP changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Cedric locked this topic
  • Cedric unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...