Weigh In: Legacy, New Servers, and New Modes

Cedric

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see a server with limits... for pve especially but could work for both.

max 10 tribe members

200 Dino limit

half the current structure limit

max of two ally tribes

ides is we limit the number of Dino’s.. forcing people to pod there excess dinos. limit the size of the tribes and limit the Dino storage of extra alliances and decrease sever structures should improve game play.

so much more could be done but I like these kinds of changes.

Hardcore, pvpve, maximum difficulty, no supply crates, no possible transfers of characters, dinos, or items, primitive plus server which gets totally wiped the 1st of January every year to give newer players to the server a better chance. Without wipes and with transfers possible I think due to the Pareto effect and not foremost playing skill the most powerful tribes just get larger and more powerful, as well as tend to acquire a bad macho attitude possibly due to megalomania. ✌️

On 6/14/2019 at 12:51 PM, Cedric said:

Let's discuss some relative numbers.  Consider the amount we have servers now as 100% of the servers available for discussion.  In order for new servers to be established, we'll have to take from that 100% (what exists today).  Currently, we look for low population servers or legacy servers when we want to open new types of servers - as we did recently. 

Legacy servers won't be getting support (mesh detection, enforcement, maps, etc).  There will be mixed feelings on this but do not expect legacy to be around forever.  With that in mind, what types of new modes/servers would you like to see?

Legacy players, what makes you stay on legacy?  The community you've built up?

To start off, i haven't played legacy since before the launch of the new official servers approximately two years ago. I gave up everything to friends and allies and haven't looked back even though I strongly objected to the dishonest and quite frankly, insulting way Wildcard delt with a group of people who essentially made Ark. No, they didn't physically make the game but they (we) spent nearly two years reporting bugs, experiencing horrible game-breaking updates on occasion, and as a group did the work that Wildcard could have possibly afforded to do in-house. Heck, we PAID to test your game for you. As a thank you, whether it was the right decision or not, Jeremy Steiglitz promised there would be no wipe when the game went retail, and this of course became a major issue for Wildcard and they needed to find a way to back out while retaining their player base. Legacy was conceived in order to please a very vocal PVP player base who spent two years being cannon fodder that wanted a full wipe, thinking they'd have a chance to be the oppressive alpha this time around.  Promises of support and a months notice were made for those unfortunate enough to be on a literally dead server so they could relocate. Which then turned into Zero support and less than a weeks notice while at the same time adding a 30-40 minute timer to all cross server transfers (you really can't make this up). Almost two years later wildcard has wiped countless PVE servers, many of which were far from low population. Many of the new official servers have player counts lower in fact.

I know there are probably tons of people playing on the non-legacy official servers who will be advocating for the wiping of whats left of legacy, largely for selfish, utilitarian reasons. In fact, i'd love to see new types of gameplay and server types added, but I do not want this if its players on Legacy servers who have already been burned enough by false promises and flat out lies, are the ones who will suffer.

I know many will argue that legacy should be completely removed. Of course these people don't play on legacy and only have something to gain. But i bet if you wiped one or more of their new official servers that never has more than 2-3 players on it, they'll quickly change their tune. IN fact, i'd much rather see that type of server wiped before Wildcard wipes another legacy server with a consistently solid player count.

I'm sure there will be plenty of disagreement with that ive said, but as a person who has played Ark since summer 2015 i've seen it all. Legacy players have been through enough, and wiping them  would really be the final insult to your most loyal customers. They'll never buy another game you make. Newer players in stark contrast who dont care about legacy and want those servers repurposed for their own benefit, may get 8utt hurt over being told no, but contrary to their manufactured outrage, you wont lose them as customers.

On 6/14/2019 at 12:51 PM, Cedric said:

Weigh In: Legacy, New Servers, and New Modes

We've been receiving feedback that the community is looking for new adventures. This may come in the form of new servers with the original experience or new servers with a twist.  You've been heard!

Let's discuss some relative numbers.  Consider the amount we have servers now as 100% of the servers available for discussion.  In order for new servers to be established, we'll have to take from that 100% (what exists today).  Currently, we look for low population servers or legacy servers when we want to open new types of servers - as we did recently. 

Legacy servers won't be getting support (mesh detection, enforcement, maps, etc).  There will be mixed feelings on this but do not expect legacy to be around forever.  With that in mind, what types of new modes/servers would you like to see?

Legacy players, what makes you stay on legacy?  The community you've built up?

I've love to play the new Classic servers but I'm on Xbox.  Creating some on Xbox would be fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Barbarian PVP Mode

• 1x new map "El Dorado"
    • Has no deep water, only rivers and lakes
    • Has no mountains, only smallish hills with gentle slopes
    • The map is covered in thick jungle
    • The map has no caves
  • Settings:
    • No flyers
    • 3rd person view disabled
    • K mode disabled
    • Whips only gather material, they don't disarm
    • Player bolas are disabled
    • No Gigas
    • No Titans, Titanosaurs or MECs
    • Creatures available are the same as those naturally found on The Island map save for the flyers.
    • No TEK
    • Max wild dinosaur level is 60
    • Player movement speed locked at 100%
    • No imprint bonus for breeding or the bonus is reduced.

Possible Variations:

Extreme Barbarian Mode:

• No firearms
  • No compound bows
  • Largest player tameable dino is a carno
  • No metal or stone structures.
  • No C4
  • No RPG
  • No IED

About legacy. 

I started playing ark on legacy cluster 8 before it was valled legacy. I like legacy because you dont have to worry about getting meshed, mega tribes, and after so long the problem players get weeded out we have pvp server but theres not alot of it going on we get board and kit up for friendly on foot pvp. Ive put a lot of work into cluster 8. Im on official but its to big of a chore tbh takes away from family time just to survive. The other day i seen a server at 276 pop. I never have to worry about that on legacy. We call it Florida lol.

2 hours ago, JinAtal5 said:

About legacy. 

I started playing ark on legacy cluster 8 before it was valled legacy. I like legacy because you dont have to worry about getting meshed, mega tribes, and after so long the problem players get weeded out we have pvp server but theres not alot of it going on we get board and kit up for friendly on foot pvp. Ive put a lot of work into cluster 8. Im on official but its to big of a chore tbh takes away from family time just to survive. The other day i seen a server at 276 pop. I never have to worry about that on legacy. We call it Florida lol.

XD yes!!! Mesh defence is key this is why i still play legacy the community  is soooo much better than official as well ...Legacy lives matter!!! If your reading WC please remember community  crunch 135 and stand by it !!

I mentioned this in the cave thread as well, but i'll elaborate further here.

On the Xbox network there are 1287 Servers Official Servers, 182 Legacy Servers, and 27 Primitive Plus Servers to pick from. Let's do a break down on an ideal setup based on current typical traffic. (End of Post).

Restructure the MAIN modes

• Possibly redesign the Server's to support Small Tribes (3 or 4 Players), Medium Tribes (12 or 15 Players), and Large Tribes (24 or 32 Players). This would resolve the current flooding problems, mega tribe concerns, and give players the middle type they've been wanting a 10-15 man tribe. While restricting large tribes to not be overly excessive.  
  • Teaming & Sharing shouldn't be a rule since there is no ways to prevent it, but Remove Alliances to make the task more difficult. 
  • Aberration & Scorched Earth are the least played maps. It might be worth reducing these numbers on all servers. Small tribes is hit hard here though.
  • Extinction has way too many servers currently and many are lower population.
  • Ragnarok could probably use a slight reduction, but it is the most heavily packed servers.
  • Center needs more servers it's a small map, people love center, but every decent location is taken. 

Completely revisit the character system.

• Your player should be a Global character for ALL servers. This is Stats Only. You should also be allowed to create multiple versions of your character that you can alternate between, but they all reside in same tribes you play in. This would also prevent character loss due to transfer corruptions. This would also resolve the "Tribe Limit" problem that prevents people from having Alternative characters in their tribe.
  • This character's should be more difficult to level up and be shareable between all modes. We are talking stats and looks only. 
  • Ability to restart your character without leaving the current tribes you are in. 

Offer modes that are outside the 24-7 Style.

• Let's face it Ark's a great game, but it would be awesome if we could get some traditional modes found in many other games. I'm personally a huge fan of Free For All's, Death MatchesObjective Based Team Matches, and Survival Wave Based Modes.  (Basically every First Person Shooter).
  • With these traditional modes the maps could be sectioned to combat arenas that players could battle out in. 

E.g. Center Lava Island, Center Redwoods, Center Jungles, etc..

• With the new character layout idea this could be utilized to create lobby based systems that allow players to show off all their characters and current achievements in each modes and the games main modes.
  •  As you play and level up you could earn unlocks to get various weapon, armor , and equipment. 
  • This would help reduce the servers needed in other modes and provide players opportunities to test their skills more in a less risk environment that should be heavily involved.
  • This would however require matchmaking servers to handle this process, and I am certain it would be a great addition to the game. 

Xbox Network Break Down

• 1287 Total Servers, 882 PVP Servers, 405 PVE Servers.

PVE Servers Currently (This doesn't break down special modes).

• Currently at 11am EST Abberation PvE has between 2-5 players online, and most servers are 0-1 players online. With 66 Servers available.
  • Currently at 11am EST Scorched Earth PvE has a similar amount online, but it's more focused around 3-6 players online. With only 30 Servers available.
  • Currently at 11am EST Island PvE has a significant increase in online players between 9-20 online as top tier, but the majority are 5 or less. With a large number of server at 131 available.
  • Currently at 11am EST Center servers are doing okay with 5-10 online and a few servers packed up to 26. Only a couple servers below 5. However there is only 29 servers.
  • Currently at 11am EST Extinction servers are doing okay with a steady stream between 0 and 12 players online. With a total of 55 servers available.
  • Currently at 11am EST Ragnarok servers are the MOST healthiest with steady stream between 5 and 24 players online. Nothing below 5 currently. However there's ONLY 52 servers available so it makes it look better than it is.
  • Valguero is packed currently and it's not a fair estimate. I believe it should retain a larger amount of servers though. 
  •  
  • With the above break down we can see that Ragnarok is the strongest and healthiest of the servers, but this is due to is lower server quantities. Island is technically the strongest, but it has too many servers so there is many low or no population servers, Center is doing alright, Extinction needs reduction, and Abberation and Scorched earth need major reduction.

My recommendation based on what I see currently would be the below which would cut total servers down to 258 from 405. This doesn't include special modes.

• Island has 54 Servers.
  • Ragnarok has 48 servers.
  • Valgero has 48 servers. 
  • Extinction has 36 servers.
  • Center has 36 servers.
  • Abberation has 18 servers.
  • Scorched Earth has 18 servers.

PVP Servers Currently (758 servers are being looked of the 882 mostly regular official and small tribes).

• Currently at 11am EST Abberation PvP has between 2-9 players online, and a large majority of servers are 0-2 players online. With 155 Servers available.
  • Currently at 11am EST Scorched Earth PvP has between 0-8 fair slice between each number. With only 25 Servers available.
  • Currently at 11am EST Center PvP has between 0-13, but a few are 17-27 as well, the numbers are definitely healthier looking. With only 40 servers available.
  • Currently at 11am EST Ragnarok PvP has between 0-21, but good chunk range from 23-42, much healthier looking at 199 servers, but could use less servers as there is a large quantity in the lower areas.
  • Currently at 11am EST Island PvP has between 0-14, but a good chunk range from 15-44, much healthier looking at 183 servers, but could use less servers as there is a large quantity in the lower areas.
  • Currently at 11am EST Extinction PvP has between 0-24 players online a steady amount of each number, looks solidly healthy, and there's 96 servers available.
  • Currently Valguero is starting to lose traction, but i believe it'll be more mainstream once transfer kicks in. With a current range of 6-69. Small tribes is the healthiest ranging from 29-69 while regular official maxes at 29 online with nearly all the lower numbers as well. This should be an eye opener that alliances and big tribes aren't working even on new maps.  There's 60 Servers available. 

My recommendation based on what I see currently would be based on the proposed modes I suggested before. (Small, Medium, and Large Tribes) respectively. This would reduce the servers to 444 total servers from 882. 

• Ragnarok has 48 servers. (40, 40, 40 Servers) 120 Total.
  • Island has 54 Servers. (30, 30, 30 Servers) 90 Total.
  • Valgero has 48 servers. (20, 30, 30 Servers) 80 Total.
  • Extinction has 36 servers. (10, 20, 20 Servers) 50 Total.
  • Center has 36 servers. (10, 20, 20 Servers)  50 Total. 
  • Abberation has 18 servers. (6, 10, 20 Servers) 36 Total.
  • Scorched Earth has (4, 6, 8 Servers) 18 Total.

With these we would have 564 servers left over to do what ever with. 

Currently we have the following from what i could locate.

• PVP - Arkpocalypse - 6 Servers (Ranging from 1 - 31 players online). 
  • PVP - Hardcore - 9 Servers (Ranging from 0-7 players online).
  • PVP & PVE - CrossArk - 140 Servers (Ranging from 0-34 players online).
  • PVP ORP CrossArk - 14 Servers (Ranging from 1 - 35 players online).
  • PVP No Tek Servers - 16 Servers (Ranging from 0-3 w/ a single server at 6) (This is basically dead content).
  • PVP & PVE Legacy Servers - 182 Servers (Ranging from 0-3 w/  a few between 4-8, and 5 servers between 16-30 (Valgero server). (This is basically dead content).
  • Primitive Plus Legacy Servers - 10 Servers (Ranging from 0-1, with a single server at 2, and another at 7) (This is basically dead content) (Only Center & Island).
  • Primitive Plus Official Servers - 17 Servers (Ranging from 1-23 these are a bit healthier, it's a mode worth keeping but it may need to be altered and doesn't contain Extinction or Valguero). 

The last 4 selected should honestly be removed.. they are just too low population and should be provided for download. It would be awesome to allow players to download the maps from the game and save it as a playable map. These players most likely treat these servers as personal servers that are officially hosted. 

I'd recommending cleaning up these modes and possibly revamping how they work to possibly bring more life into them.

• Arkpocalypse should offer 2 of each server types and should be available for both PVP and PVE.
  • Arkpocalypse should offer 5x rates with 3x breeding and no alliances and no tribe limits. 
  • Arkpocalypse should wipe every 3 months to allow tribes to establish themselves enough so they can enjoy themselves.
  • Arkpocalypse character data should be retained to allowing faster initial progression. 

• No Tame Servers and No Tek is basically the Classic idea. I think classic looks like a great addition, but i think it could use a bit of modern stuff we have now.
  • I'm not going to elaborate on this one at the moment, but i would like to see Classic added to Console networks. 
  • I'd also like to see a larger tribe limit such as 10-12 for these servers as well, but get rid of alliances as should be for all PVP servers.

• Cedric locked this topic
  • Cedric unpinned this topic

Archived