Weigh In: Legacy, New Servers, and New Modes

Cedric

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to comment again as an update. Recently wars on Xbox have revealed that Valentines Day Chocolates are still in the game. I am wondering if WildCard can wipe Items from the game? Similar to how they did with the extremely high level Rexes that were patched on legacy. (They were prevented from hatching and the eggs disappeared.) I am afraid this will get worse. If WildCard cannot get the chocolates out of the game then an official server wipe must be necessary. Ced I hope you read this and get this over to the people who can remedy this issue. Chocolates were overpowered when they were introduced and they now still are on Xbox all these months later. 

ORP.

Any rules limiting tribe size, alliances, etc is meaningless without super active (expensive) support, which is untenable for a game of this size.
To rely on support is also to rely on the error component of having a human perform a task.

It is nigh impossible to experience the expansive possibilities ARK has to offer in a manageable group size of true friends. This, to me, and to most, is the core issue with the servers.
People don't naturally LIKE to play in huge groups, it's a necessity to get ahead, or in some cases, to play at all (ie Alphas wiping servers they own every 12hrs or so in the Official network cluster). The game's art style/direction does a great job fostering a hearty, authentic vibe (wooden houses, a large lack of futuristic technology bar endgame, abundant fires, etc) but falls completely flat on it's face in this aspect when it comes to the online multiplayer experience. To me, these values should become more aligned with the goals of any new server modes.

Please don't shut down the last legacy PVE servers. We moved and transfered 4 times while your migration (2 x SE, 1 x Center, 1 x Island). This was hard work (especially with your transfer-upload-time). I have 4 chars (SE, Center, Island, Ragnarok - all are over level 90) and we play on every map (Extinction + Abberation with char-transfer) . And soon we start with Valguero.

We don't want to start completly new. I have played more thousand hours in legacy and have not the time and the desire for a new start. The community on legacy is very good and always new people are joining the servers. We found a few rly friendly ppl there. You should keep them alive.

You should make a big different between PVE and PVP! Allow more things in PVE or make more breeding events for PVE - make it more interesting for ppl who have not that much time!

For me... I stayed in both Legacy and Official for the longest time.

I kept legacy for the following reasons.

1) Base design 

2) Location

3) Hundreds of hours of mats gathering

4) Awesome blue prints

5) Great  community

6) Dino lines I had created

I swore that I wouldn't give up my legacy server but eventually one of my base time ins didn't take and I lost all of my dinos and wood structures.When that happened I unlocked everything in my  base and committed to the official server and haven't really looked back. I miss a few of my dinos but after a short while I was able to get back to the same point I was before.

I feel that if you migrated the legacy server bases and players into official you might be able to get the bulk of the legacy players to rejoin the ark community. Maybe you allow them to bring fert eggs over and give them  x4 for mats and dino restart. I feel that most people look at what they have built and figure they simply do not want to start over from the beginning on a new server in a different location.

I don't play on official or unofficial servers, I just host my own server and play on it - sometimes with friends, mostly alone. So, I can't weigh in on any of the problems there, or suggestions for servers. But as far as game modes, I would really love to see the ARK: Primitive Survival mode finished... I was really looking forward to it, and kind of disappointed when it was shelved. 

Thanks for reading.

what surprises me as a player on legacy servers on officials is why instead of drawing out the prolonged pain and heartache which comes with wondering if your server is next to be wiped . until recently the fact migrations are now mentioned on game load in when before they werent and so many people lost out due to this . and with what was the supposed 3 month review of migration which doesn't happen . why all the fuss and confusion . no . I don't want legacy wiped thankyou . I do however appreciate the cost or at least the waste of what seems running servers with only a few tribes or people on them . some people have had to move servers multiple times . I am on all maps and have only had to move from one . you need to recycle servers , I get that . a lot of servers have been low pop . again . no . don't wipe legacy. however to just put this issue to bed just apply the following . announce the final migration and list the only remaining servers free from future wipe if remain populated and give ample time to allow everyone affected to move to their final resting place. wipe the rest  . the remaining servers in turn will be higher populated and the legacy community will be revitalised. the facts are at least that the ones like me who have played since launch on console and decided to stay will not never migrate . you cant force people to migrate and to continue to invest in your game . all you will do is force people off your game which makes no sense . ark has a loyal fan base . realise that a lot of those players like me are playing legacy . and it is fair to observe and point out that some of your official servers are lower populated than some legacy . just saying

The day legacy is removed completely, is the day I stop playing and supporting Ark and WildCard.

Go ahead and say it was inevitable, but players like me that just started Ark had NO CLUE the difference between Legacy and Official. 

That's completely on WildCard for not explicitly informing their customers what their getting into.

WildCard, you should really think long and hard about what you will do with legacy. You know the numbers are still extremely high there, and if you don't support it with new maps and features, you may as well just start digging your own grave now.

Just a new idea, think most of pvp players will like it.

When you start a dlc or a map, you opened everytimes like 5 up to 25 servers in a row.

The problem is that after 1 week, only those few tribes which are not dead will stay on the server, like 20 ppl for exemple.

Those 20 players are happy, dont worry, but others ppl who « lost » mostly because they are less in the tribe or not enough time to play will not have any second chance, they will try again (desperetly) or simply stop (what does the most) because they will get wipe anyways, its too late for them. So they will just leave ark or go unnoficial. After week and week only the alpha tribe will stay.

So all that said, just open few server 1 week, more 1 week later etc for give à second chance to everyone, then ppl who lost will have no excuse, because you gave few chances, but for solo/duo pvp players in small tribes for exemple, its pretty hard and only have 1 chance is just too hard for them to keep playing on official server

pls for futur launch, that will be great :))

On 6/15/2019 at 9:02 AM, TheDonn said:

Is it because he is going to report back to the dev team with people's individual responses?  I would imagine not

This is actually what I'm doing.  Well kind-of.  I'm compiling all of these individual responses so I can come to the table with the communities voice when decisions are made on this topic.

4 hours ago, StudioWildcard said:

This is actually what I'm doing.  Well kind-of.  I'm compiling all of these individual responses so I can come to the table with the communities voice when decisions are made on this topic.

That is encouraging, at least!  But in terms of legacy specifically, I don't see a productive outcome for the people there.  The only reason I say that is because of what legacy servers are:  Slated for decommissioning eventually, with no support.  What some legacy players want (in this thread) is at least one of those things, and considering how much the legacy split ruffled feathers (and the fact that you guys stuck with it and continue to decom legacy servers), I can't see either of those things coming true. 

Not only that, but the surge of tickets that would pop up if support was brought to the legacy cluster would mean an enormous backlog for the support system ticketing queue, and with people currently expecting a wait of 7-9 days for a ticket answer (not certain about right this minute), that would be a disaster.  It would be handled...  But would be really tough sledding for the support crew GMs for a good while.

So I guess, my only thought in explaining what I explained is to share my opinion (based on current factual understanding) about the futility of the legacy discussion in general.  If there is any way they will be merged back to the main official cluster, and/or will receive ticket-support, then the discussion is worth having.  If those things aren't happening, then in all honesty it isn't worth constantly bringing up and then having threads full of people complaining about being treated as "second-class citizens" when the truth is that legacy servers will stay legacy, will continue to be decommissioned, and will not receive support.

I find it a tad Interesting that legacy gets the boot when it has lower overhead due to zero customer support, which by the way is why Legacy PVE is the best of both worlds and is preferable to many of us. When there's a problem, players are forced to work out their differences instead of getting a GM involved, which makes for a much better experience where a political/diplomatic style of non-violent (mostly) pvp takes place on each server and across servers, both for economy and for dealing with bad players. Trade alliances threaten to sanction unruly trolls from accessing the best dinos, while diplomacy is required to gain access to land being reserved. 

Honestly, I won't shed too many tears when legacy does disappear, mostly because I play legacy knowing the risk of servers going poof, but to those who eagerly call for legacy to die, you should realize that eventually all official servers will go poof at some point if wildcard doesn't get bought out and/or gets an angel investor.

As for moving to official, I'm not sure any of us from legacy could tolerate the possibility of being GM'd by some troll and getting wiped like some sick kind of virtual swatting. As I've said, the legacy PVE community is unique because of the lack of support, and much better off for it and feels a lot more real. I might even suggest renaming legacy pve to "hardcore survival pve mode," because it's basically as close to hardcore as you can get without restricting engrams or tribes, and that lack of a safety net from customer support is alluring for the hardcore that like their player to player interactions to be completely organic with no 4th-wall-breaking GM driving around in their wambulance. 

What I'm saying is that legacy's eventual demise will be the loss of a unique game mode that appeals to the more mature and independent player base. You probably wont see us joining official servers anytime soon, because we would have already done so if the experience on official was better in some meaningful way.

For modes? Classic PVE maps - but with a improved land claim system (that thing we have been suggesting for years now?)

Or PVP/PVE maps with the return of Primal Survival (or the spiritual successor mod: Play as Dino) - one of the things that could bring me back to ark as a whole would be the ability to play as a dino along side 'human' player tribemates, I dream of being a shoulder pet hurled through peoples windows to do terrible things.

A little late but thought  I would post here (and other places).

Game Mode/Server Settings suggestion:

24 Hour Battle Royale

PVP
Hardcore
No Tames
24 Hour Server Wipe

Remove the need for Food and Water

Slight boost to Weight stat to compensate for lack of tames

50 levels (first few levels fast slowing to the end)

Limited building (maybe 100 structure limit) - Destroy players buildings on death (if possible)

All drops contain Weapons and Armour of at least Mastercraft quality
Ringed drops contain Ascendant quality
All drops contain Random Ammo
All drops above green contain random attachments

White (25% of the drops)
Sword - Metal Shield
Compound Bow
Simple Pistol - Longneck Rifle - Shotgun

Cloth - Hide - DesertChitin Armour

Green (25% of the drops)
Sword - Metal Shield
Fabricated Pistol - Pump Action Shotgun
Granade - IED - Smoke Granade

Ghilli - Flak Armour

Medical - Energy Brews
Battle Tartare

Blue (25% of the drops)
Sword - Ballistic Shield
Assault Rifle - Fabricated Sniper Rifle
Cluster Granade - Poison Granade

Ghilli - Fur - Flak Armour

Scuba Gear - Hazard Suit

Medical - Energy Brews
Battle Tartare
Enduro Stew - Focal Chilli - Lazarus Chowder

Purple (15% of the drops)
Sword - Ballistic Shield
Assault Rifle - Fabricated Sniper Rifle - Flamethrower
C4

Ghilli - Fur - Flak Armour - Riot Armour

Scuba Gear - Hazard Suit

Medical - Energy Brews
Battle Tartare

Yellow (5% of the drops)
Sword - Ballistic Shield
Assault Rifle - Fabricated Sniper Rifle - Flamethrower
C4 - Rocket Launcher

Ghilli - Fur - Flak Armour - Riot Armour

Scuba Gear - Hazard Suit

Medical - Energy Brews
Battle Tartare
Shadow Steak Saute

Red (5% of the drops)
Large Quantity of Element/Shards to power Tek Gear in Ringed Red Drops
Tek Sword - Tek Shield
Tek Rifle
Tek Granade - Tek Gravity Granade

Tek Armour

On 6/14/2019 at 3:52 PM, KittyHaddix said:

There is still a ton of people that play on PVE legacy and we’ve formed a very tight knit community. We’ve also had lots of people come FROM OFFICIAL servers because official servers are plagued with lag, pillared land, and rude/terrible alpha tribes. Just this last week we had 2 new tribes join our pve legacy center server because it wasn’t enjoyable on official servers.

We understand Legacy won’t be around forever. But we’re loyal players from beta (mostly). We’ve worked with the same people and dinos for 3-5 years and we enjoy our peace. You just took from us and we KNOW there are official servers that are at low population that you don’t take from. Ever. Xbox PVE had 83 servers left and PVP has 89. I’m assuming there are similar amounts of Legacy servers left on PS4 and PC. Are you really going to need 500+ servers right now or in the near future?

I think it would be nice if when you need some new servers for new ideas, you also take a hard look at those servers on official. Especially your new PVP styled servers because they sound like they die out after a couple of months. Because what’s going to happen when you steal Legacy away from us? Not only will you lose a lot of players, you’ll then be forced to turn your attention to official servers anyway. Or make new servers... and if that’s the case, why couldn’t you just do that and let us loyal Legacy members play in peace, even if we only have 20-25 servers per play style?

A lot of us are proud to be on Legacy. That’s why we’re still playing. Even through the migrations. I personally have moved twice since the game was released from Beta. I don’t like it, but I love my tribemates, my friends, and my dinos too much to just quit and let them all despawn.

They are going to need 500+ servers with Valguero. I would hate to see legacy destroyed though. Keep up the good work though man. 

I’m not surprised you guys aren’t staying true to your word. Nothing’s changed with this company. Should’ve invested more into this game and community before releasing more unfinished bs. Instead you betrayed our trust by creating official cluster and screwing over early access players(you’re idea of testers). Now your doing it again by not fulfilling your promise to release new maps on legacy. My guess your still struggling financially due to atlas failing to take off, and we’re once again paying the price for your failure. Which is why Ark will be my first/ last WC game.

11 minutes ago, Sora03 said:

I’m not surprised you guys aren’t staying true to your word. Nothing’s changed with this company. Should’ve invested more into this game and community before releasing more unfinished bs. Instead you betrayed our trust by creating official cluster and screwing over early access players(you’re idea of testers). Now your doing it again by not fulfilling your promise to release new maps on legacy. My guess your still struggling financially due to atlas failing to take off, and we’re once again paying the price for your failure. Which is why Ark will be my first/ last WC game.

Legacy is getting the new map...

• Cedric locked this topic
  • Cedric unpinned this topic

Archived