Weigh In: Legacy, New Servers, and New Modes

Cedric

A few thoughts,

1. I know modded(Read unofficial) ark isn't the same but if you take a look at the astounding popularity of the MTS servers, I believe you should consider at least having a workshop with Mr Hamilton regarding pvp balance and how a smaller tribe format could really be great for the ark community, especially for those of us who don't wish to be a farm slave to a mega tribe and have been meshed off small tribes enough times to make it absolutely not fun anymore. The MTS team are doing great things.

2. Cap mutations when either side goes over the mutation limit. This would go a long way to making the bullet grind not being soaked in 1 hour offline by every Tom, sausage and Harry with a credit card that buys some juicy 10K tek stegos and a snow owl. Capping mutations per side will in some way make taming more relevant because searching for those wild dino levels and perfect post tame stats will mean something for longer.

3. Back to point 1, find some way to make offlining more of a challenge or give some form of ORP that isnt abusable as most people will want to play with their friends and with insiding being the creature it is, its often very dicey trying to find a trustworthy person to cover all time frames. Also 3 or 4 man tribes :) I duo with a very good IRL friend of mine and we LOVE ark and its PvP side. We played on unofficial and admins and rules always stuff up the game. The more lawless nature of official is more appealing to us but 2 players cannot compete with  6 when it comes to the grind. 

4. If you ever make another cluster for pvp don't ever make the classic mistake again of not having tribe cooldowns, and if you make more clusters with alliances, give them a cooldown as well because pvp players will always search for some abusable mechanic which will give them the edge.

5. We love you Ced. We love you WC :) thanks for making the efforts you've been making regarding meshing and exploits.

Just another Ark Fanboi :D

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please do add a 10 to 12 man pvp server with either extinction removed or titans transferred disabled.
Titans taming would really ruin the early game as you can just tame then and run over every base. Despite that titans do have their pve aspect as in helping out with drop runs, so I would suggest that the other solution is to disable titan transfer between server for the 1st month or 2 when the new servers are released.
MTS shows that 3man server are great but the problem with 3 man server is that some of us plays as a bigger group and 3 man wouldn't be enough for us to play together with alliance disabled. Plus with 3 man server you have to team up to do boss fights as doing boss fights is nearly impossible to do with 3 man and we will also end up seeing people teaming up on raids as we can see on 6 man servers.
Having a full orp would be boring as that will just decrease the amount of bases people can raid and pvp as people can just log off and as long as you have defences set up to a certain point your base probably wouldn't be raided, therefore having buffed structure hp and also turret damage would be a good add on the the new servers. Hopefully this will allow some of the casual players or those who can't spend all their time on ark still be able to play ark.
I would also say that have the rates buffed differently on different aspects, like maybe have 2x harvest and exp but have taming and maturing to 3x or so and also have them increased on the weekend when there is an evolution event going on. As what people do like about unofficial is not only that we have admins monitoring but also having a boosted rates which makes our lives easier as not all of us has the time to dedicate into grinding and breeding.

I would like to see a new mode called Original Balanced Game:

It would be set on the Island map or alternatively on a new map that is mostly flat.

Features:

• No flyers or "gliders", no wing suit
  • Movement speed locked at 100% for players and creatures
  • Either no whips or whips only gather stuff
  • No Gigas, Reapers, Titans, Giant Squids, Titanosaurs
  • No building in caves
  • No bolas
  • Raptors pounce attack time reduced by 60%
  • Max wild dino level 60
  • There would  no building zones for some of the inaccessible areas such as on the top of mountains and pillars.
  • Tribe player limit of 10 max, no alliances
  • Servers wipe once every 1-2 months.

On 6/14/2019 at 3:51 PM, Cedric said:

Weigh In: Legacy, New Servers, and New Modes

We've been receiving feedback that the community is looking for new adventures. This may come in the form of new servers with the original experience or new servers with a twist.  You've been heard!

Let's discuss some relative numbers.  Consider the amount we have servers now as 100% of the servers available for discussion.  In order for new servers to be established, we'll have to take from that 100% (what exists today).  Currently, we look for low population servers or legacy servers when we want to open new types of servers - as we did recently. 

Legacy servers won't be getting support (mesh detection, enforcement, maps, etc).  There will be mixed feelings on this but do not expect legacy to be around forever.  With that in mind, what types of new modes/servers would you like to see?

Legacy players, what makes you stay on legacy?  The community you've built up?

As far as legacy goes I’m a day one player from pre release played every day like a bad habit (still play every day) but when the new servers came out  I wasn’t about to leave every thing I worked for to start from scratch cause throwing away all that hard work after two years of game  . It’s a good thing I kept the tribe together cause after my guys getting meshed on new servers they came back to legacy #legacyneverdies

Don't do any wipes until you stop meshing and duping. I thought that the new officials would not have the crazy duping and stuff going on like old legacy did but it does and just as bad. I have a feeling if you wipe anything with all those problems still there it will just get ruined and need another wipe. Especially the duping

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, ladyteruki said:

The very nature of Ark makes playing on a server a community experience, especially for PvE people. Ark is a game that insist on making you spend hours building, taming, breeding, etc. Legacy players don't even have the "luxury" of server hopping, they're all in this together, days in days out.
After trying to play on a "regular" PvE server where people turned out to be nasty af, I moved to play on a Legacy PVE Rag server for hundreds of hours. I loved the people there. Some left, some stayed, of course, but there was a real spirit of community because there was just this map, and there was just us. Some of the veterans on the server ended up serving as unofficial admins (welcoming new people, giving them tips, helping them find a place to set up camp, helping them as they learned their way around, intervening in disputes, etc.). Legacy people do fine without the official support, but their isolation also makes them the less toxic communities of Ark. Something many other servers could learn from. To me, Legacy is the epitome of what Ark should be in PvE.
I left for unofficial because after a while, vanilla is just painful. The problem was the lack of mods and the lousy rates. Aside from that, Legacy is honestly the best way to play Ark imho, especially for newcomers.

Fantastic summary on why we play legacy. The community is the whole of it. When Legacy goes away, so does Ark for our family and friends. I tried moving a legacy backup to private. The tech and support was easy. The lack of decent people influx killed it so we returned to live Legacy and love the people across 5 maps and thousands of hours. I've never seen that in private or non-Legacy.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:58 PM, DFritz said:

I think you should allow legacy people to transfer to officials. Not everyone has the time to put in to re grind their 130 character with Tek engrams unlocked. And they won’t particularly have an advantage at this point. Breeding lines, BP, loot should have equally plateaued at this point. 

At this in point does it really matter about legacy vs official dinos? This game is years old. Legacy had a jump start. Now the playing field is level. Why not merge Legacy into Official at this point?

Aside from bringing some of the current server modes on PC such as Arkpocalypse, Classic and Supremacy to console, I would suggest new game modes that deviate from the norm.

For PVP I would recommend some sort of primitive (but not primitive plus) "Bobpocalypse" server where people can only build up to wood tier, no guns, and no large tames such as gigas, wyverns, theri's, rhinos or rexes.

For PVE I would recommend some sort of "zombie dino apocalypse" or other scenario which would encourage players to work together towards a win goal, so everyone either wins or loses depending on if the win conditions were met before time runs out.

First PvP and PvE are two games and communities. Also, Console and PC are different. Don't treat them all the same. That's the fastest way to piss off all communities.

Next, Legacy has an established community that gets regular new players due to it being an established community without the same drama as in Official. Honestly, I find it hilarious that Legacy and Official are still segregated for PvE after the years all of the servers have been open. The jump start is long since gone. Why bother to segregate them these days.

Yea you are so right! 

I tried prim plus.... it started with 10-15 mins login time. 

Missing a lot of standard engrams like theri (my mates had them all DILO??).

a lot other dinos didnt have even saddles... ok..... 

was enough reason to get back on original prim.

but really missing all the content where i payed for.... :/ 

Well. Can just hope they listen one day on all my posts xD

On 6/14/2019 at 10:03 PM, Banic909 said:

You just deleted a poopload of legacy servers, so you have no need to remove more from the player base you've already hurt.

Fresh PvE servers, You guy's make new PvP servers every month along with gimmick PvP servers every other month ( 3 man,Classic, Small tribe so on and so forth ) and these die within 3 weeks as the alpha tribes take over and bully out the solo or small PvPers and yet you continue to make PvP servers.

If we ignore Extinction release, the last time we got fresh PvE servers was with the Extinction Chronicles event that started (Which was US servers only Screwing over us Oceanic and EU players ) , While PvE servers have a whole other issues compared to PvP such as ( people pillaring starting area's, Dino cap and issues with lag due to mega castles, Moon rune box tribes kiting dinos into peoples bases ) with the Homestead changes and kibble rework most of these issues are resolved allowing for a larger player base retention compared to PvP.

?‍♂️

Sometimes I wonder about potentially splitting Ark itself into two--PVE and PVP. Since it's now essentially defunct, Survival of the Fittest could be repackaged as Ark: PVP Mode. Split the PVP servers over to SoTF, bring that game mode back, and keep Survival Evolved as the PVE side of the game. This would enable the two game modes to be balanced individually, rather than a one size fits all solution for two types of games that have wildly different needs and issues.

Personally I'd love to see the original The Island map made available somehow--either as a free DLC map a la Valguero, or as an actual game mode. Many of us early access players have a lot of fond memories of the pre-biome map days, and it could be fun for newer players to see where this game actually started.

4 hours ago, Kai905 said:

Just do away with legacy all together. If you’re not supporting it they might aswell play single player... atleast then they can boost their rates orrr make the move to official.

Another hater appeared. Ex legacy i guess? What do u have to do with legacy? We dont need customer support since barely anything happens. Our community plays in peace and help each other out instead of checking our mail 50x a day to check if we have a customer support answer lol. Alot of official players are toxic af and dont care as long as they benefit from it...Do not expect legacy players to move officials with that kinda players. And i dont think sp aint a option either after years of work. U are a good example of what kinda players there are on official imo. U want legacy gone so they add more servers so u can benefit from it while officials have loads of dead servers too...Selfish again!

7 hours ago, Kai905 said:

Just do away with legacy all together. If you’re not supporting it they might aswell play single player... atleast then they can boost their rates orrr make the move to official.

Nobody from legacy wants to play on official it's trash ....legacy we don't need to cry to support  or even ask anything  from GM while all they do is listen to all your tears...we play the game as intended  your official  cluster will be legacy one day ;) always remember  this...you can keep official it's poop xD

16 hours ago, Ariad said:

At this in point does it really matter about legacy vs official dinos? This game is years old. Legacy had a jump start. Now the playing field is level. Why not merge Legacy into Official at this point?

Very true our legacy stats are not that far off from official even better really some 500%melee giga..which could or couldn't  be spawned by a GM literally. Let me lose 10 giga to a bug an wildcard will replace them I wonder what my new giga stats will be after they spawn them in...sound familiar  legacy?

How about some kind of pve clusters, with a pvp server in it. Maybe the new Valguero map...  The pvp system would need to have some sort of rewarding system. Tourneys every now and then? And every saturday/sunday, depending on EU or USA times, there is a hour of "Purge" time for all pve servers to become pvp. Or maybe restricted to certain PVP zones? Maybe have some sort of buildable in which only 1 can exist within long range, that can cancel PVP in a short range or no player-player damage, that could act as CORE BASE/TOWN CENTER that can save some stuff that just has to be saved from the purge :) ... I dont really have time to work this out into an idea, Just maybe this concept is a good idea?

• Cedric locked this topic
  • Cedric unpinned this topic

Archived