Weigh In: Legacy, New Servers, and New Modes

Cedric

Add a few pvp servers to the official PVE cluster. This way people who dont have time to play 10hrs a day on pvp can build up on pve and transfer to it with their tames and structures ect, and test their mettle by transferring to a pvp server in the same cluster and bring only the things they are okay with losing. Make the message of the day that pops up when you log in issue a warning that this is a PVP server and they can lose anything they transfer to it. It is fair cause everyone there can bring things from pve and they wont really risk losing anything they dont want to.

Pve is great, it just gets a bit dull, and youl never really find anyone willing to tribe war and risk all of their stuff, this way you will still get the feeling of being out in the wild and never know who or what is going to kill you, but you can still keep all your valuables safe at home on your home server. And if you lose anything important, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Also if there is people who dont wish to partake, they simply can just never transfer there.

This would make a pvp environment that is alot less toxic and more lighthearted, as people wouldnt get so upset as they arent losing anything important, unless of course they decided to challenge themselves and bring more important things to these servers. It is also a good way to introduce new players to pvp without having them quit from being raided over and over.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jordanp1177 said:

I think a NO FLYER cluster would be amazing. No tamable wyverns/birds/manas EXCEPT for a quetzal, (either quetzal or some new solution to raid pillar bases, as they would be unraidable otherwise with tek enabled) so that sky bases can still be raided, but quetzals are slow, weak to gunfire, and ineffective as general travel mounts so they will only be used for farming and raiding.  It sounds rough, but i have 10k hours and have played every variation of ark there is, every new official pvp server and some pve, and many unofficial pvp servers, and no fly is my favorite. played on several unofficial ones and there is nothing quite like it. To run around on thylas and ground mounts and never quite know when you are going to bump into someone and have to fight. Being forced to be down on the ground with 90% of the games content that we usually just fly over and never experience. Having to create new metas to farm and old creatures will suddenly become useful again and used daily. Crabs will be used to farm on all maps.  I think for this 6 or 10 man tribe limit with no alliances ect is best.

Also don't listen to people who keep asking to wipe servers, its always the same, people just dont understand that wiping servers doesnt fix anything at all. They will be right back to how they were within a month or less, and you will still be behind because the reason people are ahead of you isnt because they have been playing since the start, its because they play better and more than you do. They know the metas, they know the good spots, they have a tribe of other people like them,  they can stay up10+ hrs a day grinding and you cant so you will always be behind no matter how often it wipes.

Ark without flyer isn't ark, pvp with flyers are the basic and one kind of the most fun. Fly is fun anyways.

I love the game first of all. Once you accept the lag and fact you are going to get disconnected it's great. You pay 50$ and get years put into it opposed to a 2 hour movie. The content for the game could be so much and the animals are endless as to what could be add. The new release to the game if carried on as the same game with transferrable characters and animals would hopefuly extend its life. I do feel like if we can craft a speed boat and a forge we should be able to make a lot more things like drilling equipment for mining or some type of underwater vehicle. The design team and engineers have done a great job expanding the game but should take a break from new content for a second and fix the issues that are most impacting flawed game played so when the newer content / game does release they have a metaphorical road built to success. 

So many people would enjoy solo/duo boosted clusters similar to small tribes but with higher gather, tame, and maturation rates. ORP system could be good but I dont think it should be full ORP more boosted turrets or structure health.

Thanks so much for asking the community though I truly love ark it's a very ambitious and addictive game

Whatever new servers you make, they MUST wipe on a regular schedule. Let me explain why I believe this is necessary.

The problem with existing servers is that they have been around so long that many of them are controlled - or "owned" in their words - by a single, massive tribe. Small tribes servers are no exception. This means that you are paying for 70 slots on a server that as few as 6 people will realistically play on regularly. I'm not sure about you guys but that doesn't make much sense to me.

Any new tribes that try to build up on these servers who join these servers will quickly and repeatedly be crushed. This is frustrating for almost everyone, but in particular, how do you think new players to the game will react to this? Punishing them for their inexperience... Most I imagine would move on to another game. There are plenty out there like Fortnite, World of Tanks etc in which you can just drop into a match that only lasts around 15 minutes. Quick, fresh and fun.

Take a look at how server wipes work in Rust for example. Whenever official (and many unofficial) servers wipe, they are packed full of players trying to get ahead on the competition. It has been a long time since we have seen that kind of excitement in Ark. People lose interest after a while, the game needs to be fresh and exciting to entice players to come back. In their most recent patch, due to overwhelming demand, Facepunch  added a way to filter servers in the server browser by when they were last wiped - that is how important this information is to Rust players.

There are a few reasons I stopped playing Ark. Meshing, lack of time to play, but a lack of fresh servers has always been the main problem. I did try unofficial for a while, thinking that it may be a better option, but those servers are unreliable. They often have the day cycle slowed down to a halt, so you think it is a fresh wiped server but it isn't. They can go offline or even reset without warning. And that's not to mention the rampant admin abuse. People want a reliable alternative, but there simply isn't one.

That's why I believe the MTS servers have taken off recently. They have responsible admins and a nice balance of rules and settings to cater to those who don't have all day to sit on the game. And above all, they are relatively fresh. Notice how some Youtubers like Muntage and SixShadows made a specific point of starting out on the scorched earth server when it came up, as it was brand new and isolated from the cluster for two weeks.

The old Extinction servers (now referred to as Arkpocolypse - presumably to avoid confusion with the Extinction map) were extremely popular back in the day because they afforded players the chance to build up alongside everyone else. If you got wiped, it wasn't as disheartening because you could just start up again next month. And no one tribe was ever capable of getting to a point where they controlled a server. It was great fun for new and experienced players alike. The day they adopted procedural maps however, they died, and I don't think they ever recovered. Not because the servers themselves had any significant problems, but because the procedural map generator wasn't as good as it perhaps should have been.

What kind of servers do I want to see? I'm not sure. A lot of different things have already been tried, and approximately all have failed. I fear that anything else you try will eventually, inevitably fail as well. Unless of course you commit to wiping them every 1-2 months.

Players in Ark have an unhealthy level of attachment to their base, their tames etc. People need to let go, to separate the game from reality. Take the game back to when people liked to just have fun and didn't take things so seriously. Take it back to when people could build up and feel like they might have an actual chance at survival. Take it back to when Jayex23 started his tribe and everyone left because he was a dictator. That was the golden age of Ark. I miss that.

Edited to add, I made a petition for those who think official needs to be wiped. Please sign.

http://chng.it/6xttjGG6bh

Wipe all the smalltribes servers because now the big tribes live in caves and are practically unraidable, the small and beginning tribes have to start over everyday because griefers even blow wooden bases just because there might be “loot” in there. Also maybe use some of those removed servers to make a classic 6-man, so just the concept of classic pvp but with 6 man tribes and smalltribes rates

Official PVP servers are in a bad need of a wipe especially it going through phases of over powered metas like the mek cannon abuse and original titans a lot of tribes have been wiped and eliminated through time now that it has broken down to 7-8 tribes fighting each other tames and dinos have become insanely over powered through a course of breeding them for 3 years you have therizinos hatching at 1k dmg now with alot of the metas reworked people need a fresh start knowing the new patches dlc's and such now that meshing is gone the biggest issue with main officials is DDOSing it is ridiculous in some cases you do a massive attack on a server and you have a 50v20 you start pushing close to there  main base suddenly server starts lagging badly goes down suddenly enemy can get players ready to join now they have a 60v10 not to mention i have seen servers go down for 12 hours at a time eliminating a entire timezone from attacking not naming specific cases but yes if you manage to fix ddosing before new officials which are badly needed you would have a massive community joining you I know a lot of people who want to start officals but it has become such a daunting task compared to everyone else who has a massive jump on them. It would also be nice having alot of more ragnarok style pvp without titans beign a factor for example making titan caves buildable on extinction such as desert titan cave that would be extremly fun pvp in large attacks and it would be a popular build spot. Extinction titans have also made pvp more bland as people are alot more hesitant of building on land.

Hi, Personally i would like to see 10 man servers with a cooldown on re inviting people (To prevent people rotating players), and no alliances. Or a wipe of smalltribes, i really want to play small tribes but dont feel like starting from scratch now to get wiped in a few days because there are allready massive tribes out there.

I think you should try and make new servers like mts but on all platforms with the 3 man tribe limit 5x harvest 3x tame and 3x breeding and maybe add in a limit to ally’s like 1 or 2 so people can run boss fights with more than their own tribe so it would be easier to do rag alpha also remove manas and lower the platform limit so you can’t quetzal bomb or racer hatch frame bases. To host these servers I would say get rid of legacy and some dead official servers

Now that you have implemented a mesh detection system and people are actually starting to be fearful of cheating, what about giving everyone a second chance and lifting all bans? I believe it would bring alot of people back and boost community morale. I know alot of fair players that got fed up with being meshed so much that they built in the mesh just to avoid it and are now banned because they didnt wanna be cheated against 

• Cedric locked this topic
  • Cedric unpinned this topic

Archived