Weigh In: Legacy, New Servers, and New Modes

Cedric

• Wildcard Community

We've been receiving feedback that the community is looking for new adventures. This may come in the form of new servers with the original experience or new servers with a twist.  You've been heard!

Let's discuss some relative numbers.  Consider the amount we have servers now as 100% of the servers available for discussion.  In order for new servers to be established, we'll have to take from that 100% (what exists today).  Currently, we look for low population servers or legacy servers when we want to open new types of servers - as we did recently. 

Legacy servers won't be getting support (mesh detection, enforcement, maps, etc).  There will be mixed feelings on this but do not expect legacy to be around forever.  With that in mind, what types of new modes/servers would you like to see?

Legacy players, what makes you stay on legacy?  The community you've built up?

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone who plays Legacy should know they are on borrowed time. It was a no-brainer and announced upon implementation. Let's not hear any bullploop about keeping Legacy, please. 

That being said; I think people would like servers with different rulesets and .ini changes that make the game challenging and fun outside "2x breeding 3x harvest" More unique servers (good chance to bring back NoTameNoTek and the like to Official network for example) No fliers official etc.

Obviously the PVP crowd will want some new pvp type servers but don't forget about the other half of your community: PVE

You just deleted a poopload of legacy servers, so you have no need to remove more from the player base you've already hurt.

Fresh PvE servers, You guy's make new PvP servers every month along with gimmick PvP servers every other month ( 3 man,Classic, Small tribe so on and so forth ) and these die within 3 weeks as the alpha tribes take over and bully out the solo or small PvPers and yet you continue to make PvP servers.

If we ignore Extinction release, the last time we got fresh PvE servers was with the Extinction Chronicles event that started (Which was US servers only Screwing over us Oceanic and EU players ) , While PvE servers have a whole other issues compared to PvP such as ( people pillaring starting area's, Dino cap and issues with lag due to mega castles, Moon rune box tribes kiting dinos into peoples bases ) with the Homestead changes and kibble rework most of these issues are resolved allowing for a larger player base retention compared to PvP.

first off i do not  play pve or classic so everything i say dose not have anything to do with pve or classic  .i think  that all servers need a  reset  small tribes too and make it where you cant build in artifact caves on small tribe and  make tribe cap by 2-4 payers bigger to help stop offlining  [and i think that if you reset servers/ad new ones dont have tek dinos they dont look good but you need to have them for the pvp side of things]

The very nature of Ark makes playing on a server a community experience, especially for PvE people. Ark is a game that insist on making you spend hours building, taming, breeding, etc. Legacy players don't even have the "luxury" of server hopping, they're all in this together, days in days out.
After trying to play on a "regular" PvE server where people turned out to be nasty af, I moved to play on a Legacy PVE Rag server for hundreds of hours. I loved the people there. Some left, some stayed, of course, but there was a real spirit of community because there was just this map, and there was just us. Some of the veterans on the server ended up serving as unofficial admins (welcoming new people, giving them tips, helping them find a place to set up camp, helping them as they learned their way around, intervening in disputes, etc.). Legacy people do fine without the official support, but their isolation also makes them the less toxic communities of Ark. Something many other servers could learn from. To me, Legacy is the epitome of what Ark should be in PvE.
I left for unofficial because after a while, vanilla is just painful. The problem was the lack of mods and the lousy rates. Aside from that, Legacy is honestly the best way to play Ark imho, especially for newcomers.

IMHO, the game doesn't need additional "modes", as much as it needs the existing modes to be fundamentally fixed.

PvE:   Make a proper land-claim system that prevents players from spamming pillars.

PvP:   Stay on top of ORP loopholes/metas, and work on rolling out ORP to more servers.    Offline raiding should be heavily discouraged.

3 man tribe with some sort of offline raid protection, and maybe increased rates to 1.5. I play casually now on ark as I don't have enough time to go hard anymore, and I feel like that'll be the case with many people. it's just nice to log off and know you're safe or harder to raid. a cluster or two would be nice as the current Offline raid protection cluster is very popular, and I think would be more fun with increased rates and a smaller tribe limit.

There is still a ton of people that play on PVE legacy and we’ve formed a very tight knit community. We’ve also had lots of people come FROM OFFICIAL servers because official servers are plagued with lag, pillared land, and rude/terrible alpha tribes. Just this last week we had 2 new tribes join our pve legacy center server because it wasn’t enjoyable on official servers.

We understand Legacy won’t be around forever. But we’re loyal players from beta (mostly). We’ve worked with the same people and dinos for 3-5 years and we enjoy our peace. You just took from us and we KNOW there are official servers that are at low population that you don’t take from. Ever. Xbox PVE had 83 servers left and PVP has 89. I’m assuming there are similar amounts of Legacy servers left on PS4 and PC. Are you really going to need 500+ servers right now or in the near future?

I think it would be nice if when you need some new servers for new ideas, you also take a hard look at those servers on official. Especially your new PVP styled servers because they sound like they die out after a couple of months. Because what’s going to happen when you steal Legacy away from us? Not only will you lose a lot of players, you’ll then be forced to turn your attention to official servers anyway. Or make new servers... and if that’s the case, why couldn’t you just do that and let us loyal Legacy members play in peace, even if we only have 20-25 servers per play style?

A lot of us are proud to be on Legacy. That’s why we’re still playing. Even through the migrations. I personally have moved twice since the game was released from Beta. I don’t like it, but I love my tribemates, my friends, and my dinos too much to just quit and let them all despawn.

Solo pvp servers please. Just make a cluster with the 6 maps to try it out. It would need a couple changes though. Maybe 1.5 to 2 times boosted harvesting/taming rates. More engram points (like single player). No or just a couple alliance per player. Longer auto decay timers. Maybe some kind of ORP. Please just try it out for PC, Xbox, and PS4 to see how the community reactes. It would only be 18 servers. Consider it!

Edit: I guess with Valg it would be 21. 

So cedric here's the reason I still play legacy..no tribe wipes no reason to send support countless tickets for my lost Dino or anything really because I can just cut my loses and go about playing my game instead of checking  emails 100 times a day .. I can handle situations  that arise without the need for support .I think legacy should be it's own game mode and official it's own game mode  which I believe should have microtransactions to help pay for the support  its lacking ...the legacy communities are thriving  we get new players on a daily basis.            Let's talk numbers so officials statistics  are not so far off from legacy player base wise a simple look tells me these numbers 

1 hour ago, Cedric said:

We've been receiving feedback that the community is looking for new adventures. This may come in the form of new servers with the original experience or new servers with a twist.  You've been heard!

Let's discuss some relative numbers.  Consider the amount we have servers now as 100% of the servers available for discussion.  In order for new servers to be established, we'll have to take from that 100% (what exists today).  Currently, we look for low population servers or legacy servers when we want to open new types of servers - as we did recently. 

Legacy servers won't be getting support (mesh detection, enforcement, maps, etc).  There will be mixed feelings on this but do not expect legacy to be around forever.  With that in mind, what types of new modes/servers would you like to see?

Legacy players, what makes you stay on legacy?  The community you've built up?

U can keep enforcement  ....and every new dlc we get a new map...you say you need to close server to open new ones and I ask why does a million dollar company not just open new servers.. and keep legacy we buy all dlc an hell most likely would buy any content so actually losing money from thousands that still play 

I think its time for legacy server to be erased and the current offcial servers can take their place, people have been wanting a wipe but main reason wipe isn't possible is that many people will lose hours and hours of grinding so by moving them instead of legacy, nobody will lose their grinding and people who wanted a wipe will get it, also if the wipe happens, i think extinction should be disabled for couple of months, because we don't want people getting to tek in first few weeks 

Also generally speaking the new server numbers don't need to be a lot, because of two reasons 1. I think it would be really hard for that amount of server to be deployed at same time 2. We don't want for the population to be divided, since there will be less pvp, i think you should start with reasonable amount and add about 5 servers every 2-3 weeks 

PvE servers with placeable "Home base" objects (special foundation or something) to limit each player's base building to 1 spot and a fixed size - say max render range from the home base, that's oft-used on unofficial servers and works well.

They can still build elsewhere but those structures would be subject to rapid decay - say 2 days, so they can put up traps and temporary shelters. Or, you also give a couple of small "Outpost" objects which limit building size to 10x10 or something good enough for traps / outposts. 

Lastly, you set structures, including the home objects, to always be pick-upable so players can move if they want to. This would work well with the decay function, if a player picks up their home object and moves elsewhere, they've got until the old structures decay to pick them up and move them. 

• Cedric locked this topic
  • Cedric unpinned this topic

Archived