Why do people hate night time?

SaltyMonkey

Why do people hate night time?

I love the night in Ark, especially on Aberration when you’ve started fresh and everything is out to kill you. Night time is most appreciated on Scorched Earth so not sure why people would hate it on that map. Even Ragnarok’s broken blue sky from midnight I’ve accepted as a feature (is it?). What else makes survival games more immersive than a shroud of darkness to keep you on your toes?

I agree with kodking but I gamma up and can see fairly well. Not brilliantly but good enough. 

It's the sunlight I can't stand. When your flying and suddenly blinded by a white glaring light no matter how you try to manouver unless it's a complete 180 turn. You risk your sight just to travel anywhere.

My eyes! ?

I remember my first night on ark (no knowledge of gamma) it took me half the night to find the door to our thatch hut. It was nerve wracking at the time. I had already been eaten by raptors and a rex that first day. I admit I was a little scared.

7 minutes ago, SnowboundGem said:

I agree with kodking but I gamma up and can see fairly well. Not brilliantly but good enough. 

It's the sunlight I can't stand. When your flying and suddenly blinded by a white glaring light no matter how you try to manouver unless it's a complete 180 turn. You risk your sight just to travel anywhere.

My eyes! ?

I remember my first night on ark (no knowledge of gamma) it took me half the night to find the door to our thatch hut. It was nerve wracking at the time. I had already been eaten by raptors and a rex that first day. I admit I was a little scared.

hehehe lol. with structures like  thatch and metal it is hard to find a door in to dark,  honestly the sun in ark can sometimes be brighter than our sun, no kiddin either.

Can't see what I'm doing, mainly.

If Ark's lighting options actually helped it wouldn't be so bad. But put up a vanilla torch or even a lamp and you can see maybe 5 feet around you and then pitch black everywhere else. This is especially terrible inside a large base when you don't have any star/moonlight or even the light from a supply beacon to help you.

This is especially frustrating when breeding for colors, which I do a lot. Is that blue or purple, brown, black or dark grey, white or light grey, mutation or natural color? I used to have to wait ages for the light to be bright enough and then end up killing most of the babies I just spent 20-30 minutes raising because it wasn't the result I wanted, but I couldn't tell. S+ lighting does fix a lot of that, but I still got into the terrible habit of using gamma and very short night cycles to avoid it. Extinction not having a nighttime was actually a selling point for me...

The sad part is, the nights actually used to be darker! They lightened nighttime up quite a bit from the original settings because of all the complaints. Still can't see anything, though.

I feel like it's worse on certain graphics cards/monitors than others, though. I've compared with one of my friends before and he can see way more than I can at night on the game's natural brightness. Like he can see everything around him, I see literally pitch black nothing. It's the weirdest thing, especially since he's the one with the potato.

22 minutes ago, Cymas said:

Can't see what I'm doing, mainly.

This is my reason too. This goes for almost any game, survival or not. I just hate no being able to see what I am doing.

For me its a love hate relationship with the dark. The dark provides that much needed fear element for a survival game. I mean would early game survival be the same if it was constantly day ? Aberration is great in the night time and on Scorched it provides a good time to be out and about as its much cooler.

I just dont like not beeing able to see. For example when I am out hunting for high level creatures to tame such as boss theris or rexes I like perfect conditions so that I dont miss anything. At night time you basically have to trip over a dino to actually see it and if your scouting in the air your not going to see it. When its night I definitely strain my eyes trying to see and its definitely a more tiring task. I basically stop looking at night time and wait till the daytime, but then it gives you the opportunity to do other things while you wait for the day. Its just annoying when you have to spend hours searching and you have to give up because its night time. 

Also there is nothing worse than the dreaded combo of the Island at night during rain and fog. And if your underwater its even worse. Mind you saying that I am pretty sure our cluster has fog swithced off ? Been a while since I was on the Island.

Saying all that I wouldnt change anything apart from maybe the rain effect on the Island.

6 hours ago, SnowboundGem said:

My eyes! ?

Oh definitely. In fact the night isnt a problem, its the glare for me. What I wouldnt give to have a bloom option for console. 

@AngrySaltire Do you use shadow steak saute? It's basically an in game gamma buff. I feel like everyone forgets it exists because we all just use the console command for it lol. Lasts for 3 minutes though so you'll need a bunch to make it through a default night cycle. The other option is night vision goggles, but they have durability and do break eventually.

3 minutes ago, Cymas said:

@AngrySaltire Do you use shadow steak saute? It's basically an in game gamma buff. I feel like everyone forgets it exists because we all just use the console command for it lol. Lasts for 3 minutes though so you'll need a bunch to make it through a default night cycle. The other option is night vision goggles, but they have durability and do break eventually.

Yeah I kinda forget that exists too, maybe I just associate it with being a PvP item. The ingredients list doesnt look to bad actually. Thanks for reminding me about that, might give that a try at somepoint. Yeah I dont fancy keeping up with repairing the goggles.

It's hard to put my finger on it but it feels... bad? the lighting always feels bad in this game i spend all my time gammaing and it's not simply that i can't see because i never try to mess with the light levels in conan exiles.  Something about the lighting whether it's day or night irritates my eyes and i can never seem to gamma to the right level ever.  Maybe someone who knows more about this could shed some light on the subject? pun intended.

37 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

Maybe I’m the odd one out and just accustomed to the night. Hell, in real life when driving, I rarely use my bright lights even if it means my headlights are only a few feat in front. 

That is a very bad level of comfort ;)

For me it's like horror movies. I don't watch them because I don't want to be that scared. Ark is plenty terrifying without restricting vision to a small circle.

5 minutes ago, d1nk said:

I dont like when servers have short nights. Doesnt feel right. I like night because it defines the days 

I smoke a lot, if I dont want to deal with night a particular time I go smoke haha. The ONLY time I dislike night is when im playing on weekends and my glare combined with my plasma tv... tek helmet helps a lot though

Lol it was because of servers having short nights is why I made me this thread initially but other things came to mind.

7 minutes ago, d1nk said:

I dont know... I think The Center's siezure skies and infinite lightning is worse! The reason I dont play that map much

I like the center and it doesn't have that crazy light all the time but you're right when it does it's very difficult to see. Oh wait you said lightening LOL.  I kinda like the lightening but it does get dreary after awhile.  It's why some folks get depressed when it rains all the time.

Archived