Tips for high level giga taming

Harna

Alright guys. So i was flying my argent around to level it up and noticed a tail sticking out of he mountian. I was curious as to what it was and saw it was a 108 gigantosaurus. Now i've tried my hand at taming these beasts i've successfully tamed a low level one but i was wondering if anyone had any tips as to how to tame one. My biggest concern right now is finding a good place to shoot it. 

Thanks for reading 

5 hours ago, Itsr2ghgaming said:

Personally... I have tamed a high level giga, knock it out and surround it in a wood building about 4 high and make sure you have the kibble somewhere near and safe and make sure to always watch the torpor... No you can't leave 

You can leave it for more then 1 hour ! Just let the torpor drop all the way and pump like 500 narcs now you have more then 1 hour b4 it Wakes up. 

• Volunteer Moderator
10 minutes ago, Painy said:

You can leave it for more then 1 hour ! Just let the torpor drop all the way and pump like 500 narcs now you have more then 1 hour b4 it Wakes up. 

Don't let it drop all of the way.  I believe there is a chance for it to wake up when it hits 50%(no100% sure of the exact spot).

However, I do let the topor drop for while and when it gets close to 50%, I pump in just enough narcotics to return back to max topor.  So, lets say I do a low level 4 giga, which should ahve 12,400 topor.  So, would let the topor drop to about 6400, and then pump it with 150 narcotics, which will take it up 6,000 topor.

So, a level 108 should have about 74800 topor.  I would probably wimp out at 38,000(36,800 topor drop) and pump 920 narcotics into it, which would take it back to max; or close, depending on your timing.  

Depending on how you tame it, you are going to need between 1,500(a little less) for Kibble tame and 7,450(a little less) for meat only; taming time is 3:22 to 16:44 (number rounded up).  This is assuming a 1X taming with 1X food drain.

9 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

Don't let it drop all of the way.  I believe there is a chance for it to wake up when it hits 50%(no100% sure of the exact spot).

However, I do let the topor drop for while and when it gets close to 50%, I pump in just enough narcotics to return back to max topor.  So, lets say I do a low level 4 giga, which should ahve 12,400 topor.  So, would let the topor drop to about 6400, and then pump it with 150 narcotics, which will take it up 6,000 topor.

So, a level 108 should have about 74800 topor.  I would probably wimp out at 38,000(36,800 topor drop) and pump 920 narcotics into it, which would take it back to max; or close, depending on your timing.  

Depending on how you tame it, you are going to need between 1,500(a little less) for Kibble tame and 7,450(a little less) for meat only; taming time is 3:22 to 16:44 (number rounded up).  This is assuming a 1X taming with 1X food drain.

There was a chance it could wake up...right after release.  This has been gone since a looooooooooong time.

• Volunteer Moderator
10 minutes ago, Painy said:

There was a chance it could wake up...right after release.  This has been gone since a looooooooooong time.

None the lessssssssssss, I likeeeeeeeee tooooooooo plaaaaaaaaaaaaay it safeeeeeeeeeeee.

Then again, it is not like the devs ever implement a change without it being announce. :D

However, if you are going to let it drop close to zero, a level 108 would need a lot more that 500 narcotics(that is only 20,000 topor) to take advantage of the huge drop; you would be looking at close to 1,900 to take it all the way back to the top, for max time without needing to watch the topor drop again.

• Volunteer Moderator

@SallyAnn  That is a good video.  

If the giga is near a river valley or cannon with steep cliffs, and you have the resources, you can use B. Gates and metal walls and/or dino gateways(and doors if you want to keep stuff out later) to build a bit and kit it into the pit; either off the cliff or through the B. Gate(which you then have to close...fast!).

32 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

@SallyAnn  That is a good video.  

If the giga is near a river valley or cannon with steep cliffs, and you have the resources, you can use B. Gates and metal walls and/or dino gateways(and doors if you want to keep stuff out later) to build a bit and kit it into the pit; either off the cliff or through the B. Gate(which you then have to close...fast!).

Yeah, it's good, but it's not the video I remembered or was searching for though, someone did one with 4 behe gates and a bear trap in the middle exactly as you describe, and posted it on these forums somewhere but sadly I can't find it.

Edit: Ah, yes it is the one, thanks @Jerryn :)  I skipped to the end and it looked like it was done with foundation and not behe gates as the giga blocked the view.  It was Nerd Parade that posted here, I prefer to give credit to people that post on these forums;

• Volunteer Moderator
30 minutes ago, SallyAnn said:

Yeah, it's good, but it's not the video I remembered or was searching for though, someone did one with 4 behe gates and a bear trap in the middle exactly as you describe, and posted it on these forums somewhere but sadly I can't find it.

It is with 4 dino gateway and a bear trap  (guess I should have double checked the video first). :D

ETA:  Watched it and that is the one I was thinking of...should double check the double check before posting I guess..LOL.

If I was at home, I would post the picks of my big taming pit, which is nothing more that the B. Gates between cliff walls in a river, with spots on both sides where you can kite big stuff right into it.  

3 hours ago, Jerryn said:

None the lessssssssssss, I likeeeeeeeee tooooooooo plaaaaaaaaaaaaay it safeeeeeeeeeeee.

Then again, it is not like the devs ever implement a change without it being announce. :D

However, if you are going to let it drop close to zero, a level 108 would need a lot more that 500 narcotics(that is only 20,000 topor) to take advantage of the huge drop; you would be looking at close to 1,900 to take it all the way back to the top, for max time without needing to watch the topor drop again.

I was thinking about just shooting it with tranquilizer darts instead of using narcotics is that even a good idea?

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Harna said:

I was thinking about just shooting it with tranquilizer darts instead of using narcotics is that even a good idea?

Probably not.  You will get more bang for your buck using the narcotics straight, plus you need to monitor that topor.  Trust me when I say, having one way up on you does not go in your favor; I know from experience.

1 minute ago, Jerryn said:

Probably not.  You will get more bang for your buck using the narcotics straight, plus you need to monitor that topor.  Trust me when I say, having one way up on you does not go in your favor; I know from experience.

Alright thanks time to farm more narcotics. Also i was planning on using kibble and a mix of prime jerky since i cant farm prime meat cause im on single player. Also a good idea?

• Volunteer Moderator
23 minutes ago, Harna said:

Alright thanks time to farm more narcotics. Also i was planning on using kibble and a mix of prime jerky since i cant farm prime meat cause im on single player. Also a good idea?

Yes.  Kibble first, then prime jerky and/or cooked prime(put this before the prime jerky if you use both).

However, if you let the topor do a big drop and then pump in a lot of narcotics and you would have time to do a little prime farming; just don't go off to farm prime when the topor is near max.  You only need to bring back about 3 prime at a time, as the rest will likely spoil before it eats it(looks like it is a little over 2 minutes between bites for eating raw prime).

You can also pre-farm prime, and if you have a Q, put a genny and fridge on it, you would be set to go.  Or if you bring down the giga close to your base, you could fly back and grab 2 or 3 pieces.  A little trick to save time, clean out your personal inventory, only have your equiped and hot bar items, then when you transfer prime to the giga, just click Transfer All and then click yes.  You can do that also if you have other stuff in your inventory; you just have to take your stuff back off the giga.

• 1 year later...

OLd post I know, if you do this with a giga you will get a few seconds of firing then once it realises that it cannnot bite you it will switch to its retreat mode and run out of range ... then its back on the Quetz again.

Only serious method for a really high giga is to trap it IMO so that you can control the situation.

On 3/14/2016 at 5:52 PM, JuanGoTeM said:

My suggestion is to bring a Quetzal, whether you have a platform or not. When you dismount your Quetz, you're standing on top of it while it hovers. Simply stand on top of your Quetz and shoot Tranq darts at it until it's down.

I'd also look into using tranq arrows more then darts. Much less expensive of an endeavor that way. Plus recoverable as stone arrows after it's out. 

On 3/14/2016 at 7:10 AM, Painy said:

It still can wake up above half torpor, we had a level 5 down on a new official dedicated, just pumped it with 50 narcs prior to it hitting 50%, came out of its inventory, turned around and 5 seconds later got messages he just killed our Ptera and Argy. He was at 90% tamed. Had to drop his butt again and tame it another time.

Archived