Should Official servers be wiped for a fresh start?

Parth311

56 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

Welcome to the internet my friend, first time? Are you really suggesting that people’s online persona dictate’s how they act in reality? If so, you need to put the keyboard/controller down and get back to said reality because it’s clear you can’t distinguish between the two.

17 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

Have you thought about seeing a doctor since you can't differentiate between the internet and reality?

The internet is a very real thing, the fact that people expose their true nature when they have anonymity is also a very real thing. Again if you are unhappy that people may take what you say as a sign of your true character then say less or stop saying anything at all.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Hemplethwaite said:

The internet is a very real thing, the fact that people expose their true nature when they have anonymity is also a very real thing. Again if you are unhappy that people may take what you say as a sign of your true character then say less or stop saying anything at all.

So if say I like to kill every person I see on PvP and including all of their defenceless dinos, that makes me a psychopathic murderer in real life?

3 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

So if say I like to kill every person I see on PvP and including all of their defenceless dinos, that makes me a psychopathic murderer in real life?

No, here's the thing, in PVP everyone who plays knows that is the objective of the game. To fight on the server to make yourself the strongest to work and build up resources you take your chances against everyone else. Being competitive in a competitive environment is not a measure of psychopathy. 

When you suggest that a wipe of those servers would be funny to see everyone put back to having nothing and you would take pleasure in seeing people upset that they were wiped out not through a clean fight but through the lobbying on a forum that does say a lot.

It makes it seem like those who clammer for this are driven by jealousy, and the perceived opportunity to make themselves feel superior without trying to be better at the game.

If you are going to take real world pleasure from that, then I think that does reflect a personality trait you may not be keen to admit.

15 minutes ago, Hemplethwaite said:

No, here's the thing, in PVP everyone who plays knows that is the objective of the game. To fight on the server to make yourself the strongest to work and build up resources you take your chances against everyone else. Being competitive in a competitive environment is not a measure of psychopathy. 

When you suggest that a wipe of those servers would be funny to see everyone put back to having nothing and you would take pleasure in seeing people upset that they were wiped out not through a clean fight but through the lobbying on a forum that does say a lot.

It makes it seem like those who clammer for this are driven by jealousy, and the perceived opportunity to make themselves feel superior without trying to be better at the game.

If you are going to take real world pleasure from that, then I think that does reflect a personality trait you may not be keen to admit.

So you are able to differentiate between in game and real life but fail to grasp the forums as an extension of the game as a better place to voice?

I don’t actually care about official in the slightest so the devs could wipe all servers and it would have absolutely no impact on me. I’m free to comment any where I want in these forums.

47 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

I don’t actually care about official in the slightest so the devs could wipe all servers and it would have absolutely no impact on me. I’m free to comment any where I want in these forums.

Lol I read that as "I don't play official servers but my opinion on official is more important than those who do!"

Go on, have your last Salty butthurt comment, I'm done with you. 

3 hours ago, Hemplethwaite said:

I think you're misunderstanding my point a bit.  I don't think it would be funny to see EVERYONE put back to having nothing.  Most folks would just start over fresh and get to work, and there's no entertainment in that.

What would be funny is seeing people, some grown adults, act like petulant children over something that is relatively unimportant.  I don't find amusement in people's suffering, as has been suggested multiple times.  I'm amused by people having ridiculous reactions to small things.  Sort of like seeing a customer at a gas station freaking out and throwing things because the slushy machine is broken.

2 hours ago, Hemplethwaite said:

Lol I read that as "I don't play official servers but my opinion on official is more important than those who do!"

Go on, have your last Salty butthurt comment, I'm done with you. 

Please quote where I said, “don't play official servers but my opinion on official is more important than those who do!

14 minutes ago, MIsterMayhem said:

So you think complaining about spending thousands of hours and having it wiped because of some non official players are advocating for it is on par with complaining about a slushee machine is broken? 

Hmm. Ok. ?

I think you’ll find this post and every other like it are all from official players who are the ones advocating for a wipe. I just find the whole thing hilarious that there are salty people complaining that my opinion doesn’t matter (I don’t care if it doesn’t) whilst simultaneously acting as if their opinion matters more than the thousands of people who don’t frequent the forums or social media.

While I don't think official servers should be wiped, I do think they should finish "ripping off the bandaid" and migrate everyone off the legacy servers instead of continuing to draw the end out for those players. When the game was nearing the end of early access, the devs said all the servers would be wiped entirely so everyone could start fresh on the same level for the official release. The backlash from the playerbase created the legacy servers and a whole new set of issues. The longer legacy exists, the more players both old and new will continue building up on servers that are guaranteed to wipe as they are slowly converted into the new official rotation as needed.

I've even seen people being encouraged to join the legacy cluster for having more land available as some legacy players are desperate to keep their server population up enough to avoid being next on the wipe list.

With every "Great Migration" some players move to other legacy servers, some quit, and some finally bite the bullet and join the new officials, which aren't exactly new anymore. But there will always be those few holdouts that will stay on legacy until the very last server on that cluster is wiped. It's not fair to them to keep them playing and building up and adding new content while literally everyone knows they will wipe eventually.

4 hours ago, Cymas said:

While I don't think official servers should be wiped, I do think they should finish "ripping off the bandaid" and migrate everyone off the legacy servers instead of continuing to draw the end out for those players. When the game was nearing the end of early access, the devs said all the servers would be wiped entirely so everyone could start fresh on the same level for the official release. The backlash from the playerbase created the legacy servers and a whole new set of issues. The longer legacy exists, the more players both old and new will continue building up on servers that are guaranteed to wipe as they are slowly converted into the new official rotation as needed.

I've even seen people being encouraged to join the legacy cluster for having more land available as some legacy players are desperate to keep their server population up enough to avoid being next on the wipe list.

With every "Great Migration" some players move to other legacy servers, some quit, and some finally bite the bullet and join the new officials, which aren't exactly new anymore. But there will always be those few holdouts that will stay on legacy until the very last server on that cluster is wiped. It's not fair to them to keep them playing and building up and adding new content while literally everyone knows they will wipe eventually.

Actually  in community  crunch 135 wc stated not all legacy servers  will see a wipe a lot of people  looked over this may have forgot dunno but I'm here to remind  ya xD

for who wants to read why they did not wipe after ea..

https://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-evolveds-design-lead-on-huge-server-wipe-reversal-and-new-structure-post-pc-launch/

4 hours ago, Cymas said:

With every "Great Migration" some players move to other legacy servers, some quit, and some finally bite the bullet and join the new officials, which aren't exactly new anymore. But there will always be those few holdouts that will stay on legacy until the very last server on that cluster is wiped. It's not fair to them to keep them playing and building up and adding new content while literally everyone knows they will wipe eventually

48 minutes ago, Lycan187u said:

Actually  in community  crunch 135 wc stated not all legacy servers  will see a wipe a lot of people  looked over this may have forgot dunno but I'm here to remind  ya xD

Wiping official servers would only increase the amount of griefing going on, people think the state of the game currently is toxic. Just wait until every serious player loses hundreds of hours of work do to forum complainers, people with skills who no longer care will raze every server daily until it is truly unplayable. People with nothing to lose are the most dangerous.

Well, that would be one way to handle things. Traditionally, player wipes usually do a development team a ton of good but the fact is, as a player, it's a nightmare, especially on a title like Ark which requires hundreds of hours of time invested to achieve anything substantial. I can speak for my entire tribe, myself and my wife when I say that a wipe would probably end this experience for us. While it is a game, it's also an investment of time, a big one. My time is valuable to me, not sure how others feel about it, but for us, time isn't something we trivialize.    

Should there be any type of mass server wipe, we would politely bow out and go back to our private servers and probably never look back at official again. 

6 hours ago, ThePryBar said:

Wiping official servers would only increase the amount of griefing going on, people think the state of the game currently is toxic. Just wait until every serious player loses hundreds of hours of work do to forum complainers, people with skills who no longer care will raze every server daily until it is truly unplayable. People with nothing to lose are the most dangerous.

Wipes would have no significant long-term affects.  The internet would burn for a week or two, and a month later things would more or less be exactly the same as they are now.   Most of these people saying they would quit would be started up on a new server within 24 hours, despite their claims to the contrary.

Archived