Should Official servers be wiped for a fresh start?

Parth311

I have 4500 hours on official so I'm not a noob having trouble getting started. I'm indifferent on the topic. I play now and I would definitely play if they wiped the servers.

In the long run, it would not hurt their player numbers. My opinion is it would boost them massively. Yes, some people would be mad/sad/swear and curse and say they are never coming back. But they would come back. And all the people who have quit because they have everything would also come back. The player count hit 100k after the last DLC release. Then slowly died down. 

I recently took a 3 or 4 month break. Building a new base and getting myself back into ARK. I think the game gets dull after a while and you need something to mix it up for you. 

I try to look towards the future. If ARK stays around, they will need to change something to get ANY new people playing. Either server wipes or new maps released on a somewhat regular basis. Maps fill up and it drives new people away, which in turn drives their sales and numbers down. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think an ark wipe is exactly what’s needed across all servers especially small tribes , orp, primitive plus, core servers, and even the dead servers like hardcore. All these servers are being choked by these massive tribes that are so huge and have nothing to do so the just go out and wipe anyone. It doesn't allow for new tribes to join and experience ark. I highly doubt that anyone would leave ark. Ark becomes an addiction that will only be replaced by a newer game. It’s got the same addictive properties as Ultima Online which was replaced by Everquest which was replaced by World of Warcraft etc. Everything comes to an end it’s just a matter of time. A server wipe may actually increase the player base and extend the life of ark. I don’t think yearly would be good but by doing a server wipe this one time and some advertising to get the word out in my opinion seems like it would draw new people to the game and give them a chance at building. On top of that add that new anti mesh plug at the same time as the server wipe. Meshing has become one of arks most toxic things. So if you wipe the severs and patch over more meshing holes and implement the meshing plug in you solve a tone of issues and I bet bring back lots of people who quit due to  Undermaping. 

@SMP you compare the game with the real world, which only works to a degree, your comparison is absolut nonsense. 

You stated before that you would be happy to see others cry over their lost achievements ingame, which is already something deeply disturbing.

1. Why do you want to punish everyone if you and some others want a fresh start?
  2. Why do the super dinos bother you in PVE
  3. Why can't you and the others not just fresh start on your own? (destroy/decay your base/start fresh on another server)
  4. Do you believe that you would get a better building spot on a wipe?
  5. Would new server make you happy, or do you actually want to see how everyone gets wiped to get some weird joy out of it?

Just a reminder that not everyone who plays this game, plays it the same way.

If you can't accept that someone else is getting joy out of collecting colors while you have your joy in building or breeding, you should really rethink a lot of things because THIS actually applies to real life. Everyone likes different things and we should be grateful for that, we are not a hivemind.

20 minutes ago, Rustyrickshaw said:

I think an ark wipe is exactly what’s needed across all servers especially small tribes , orp, primitive plus, core servers, and even the dead servers like hardcore. All these servers are being choked by these massive tribes that are so huge and have nothing to do so the just go out and wipe anyone. It doesn't allow for new tribes to join and experience ark. I highly doubt that anyone would leave ark. Ark becomes an addiction that will only be replaced by a newer game. It’s got the same addictive properties as Ultima Online which was replaced by Everquest which was replaced by World of Warcraft etc. Everything comes to an end it’s just a matter of time. A server wipe may actually increase the player base and extend the life of ark. I don’t think yearly would be good but by doing a server wipe this one time and some advertising to get the word out in my opinion seems like it would draw new people to the game and give them a chance at building. On top of that add that new anti mesh plug at the same time as the server wipe. Meshing has become one of arks most toxic things. So if you wipe the severs and patch over more meshing holes and implement the meshing plug in you solve a tone of issues and I bet bring back lots of people who quit due to  Undermaping. 

Lol and you think the big tribes just wont rejoin again and others just stop meshing? Ppl will always find a way 

Here is an idea.

People love the thrill of starting fresh on a map but they also don't want to loose their hard earned valuables or tames. A fun solution might be (depending on player pop of these servers) 1-3 of each official map that wipe on a monthly basis (staggering maps on when they are wiped i.e rag servers wipe second week of month while extinction servers wipe 3rd week of the month) . On these severs you are able to transfer out with anything you find but you cant transfer anything except for your character to these servers. (Just like when a new map releases). This would allow for people that want to start fresh to do so while still giving long time players the ability to keep their bases and loot.

No decision has to affect every ark.... make changes that appeal to everyone.... try new ideas if they don't work come up with another!

Possible ideas:

If population on these servers are high then maybe make a cluster of each map that wipes on a monthly basis like a cross ark cluster 1 - 4 where each week a different cluster is wiped on a different week of the month.

Pros

Encourages PVP at a core beginning level just as when a new map is released.

Allows for fresh servers for new players to start on.

prevents any 1 mega from having a hold on a sever for an extended time.

would benefit PVE as they would have new server where at the end of the month they can pack up and transfer to a non - wiping official server.

Balance on the official servers wont change since all tames and gear transferred out would be the same that could be obtained 

Appeals to both the "wipe it all" community and the "don't take all my hard earned loot" community.

Cons

Makes makes for a lot of new servers to be maintained.

Let the community fill this section in.

16 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

My unofficial cluster doesn’t even have decay...

I really enjoyed the no auto-decay while it was deactivated a month or so ago.  that being said, I was on a low pop cross-ark server so it was cool there.  I'm sure on the high pop official servers it'd be a nightmare, plus there was a spot I wanted to build a taming pen on extinction and there was an old base that had been raided.  I was super pumped to see 1 day 20 hours to go :)...

27 minutes ago, devid20 said:

Lol and you think the big tribes just wont rejoin again and others just stop meshing? Ppl will always find a way 

The plug in dosnt stop meshing it stops you from being able to do anything in the mesh. It prevents undermaping bases. And obviously tribes will rejoin but they will rejoin to a server void of large bases with obs not locked down with all the rocks and trees and stuff still standing there won’t be base locations foundations off and spam all over it would be great. 

4 hours ago, Lycan187u said:

I would definitely  rejoin official pvp if wiped ;) and create a megatribe with all my buddies and rule the ark!!!! We wiped everyone on our cross ark server got real boring no competition. ..

That's because CrossArk is typically low pop servers so naturally you wipe everyone off the cluster the pop will get even lower...

I doubt anything will happen though. I’m on a server and we havnt had working kibble in over month everything has to be mutton or crop tamed lol. Not only is the kibble broken but there are no drops including desert cave sea crates lol and that’s just the beginning of the problems lol ark devs havnt made mention of fixing the issues or progress in months. 

A couple of thoughts on this:

1. Sorry but I call bull crap on most of those people saying if there was a full wipe of official servers they'd quit.  Do I think they'd stop playing and try something else for awhile? Sure I absolutely think that would happen and I think it's great!  People need a chance to stop playing Ark for awhile and try other things.  The nature of this game makes that possibility difficult so a wipe would allow that healthy act to happen.  Mark my words though they'll eventually come back.  This game just pulls at you like no other game I've ever played.  You get tired of playing for awhile but it'll call you back.

2.  I think some folks here are onto something with the idea of a cluster of servers that wipe periodically.  I think 30 days is way too soon, but I think something like a 6 month extinction server would be very appealing.  This gives everyone a ton of time to get really far and basically beat the game, and then start over again.  I've always said I think the very beginning of Ark is the best, and the maintaining stages late in the game can get to be a bit of a drag so 6 months and then you start over again would be pretty awesome.

4 hours ago, Fukushu said:

@SMP you compare the game with the real world, which only works to a degree, your comparison is absolut nonsense. 

You stated before that you would be happy to see others cry over their lost achievements ingame, which is already something deeply disturbing.

1. Why do you want to punish everyone if you and some others want a fresh start?
  2. Why do the super dinos bother you in PVE
  3. Why can't you and the others not just fresh start on your own? (destroy/decay your base/start fresh on another server)
  4. Do you believe that you would get a better building spot on a wipe?
  5. Would new server make you happy, or do you actually want to see how everyone gets wiped to get some weird joy out of it?

Just a reminder that not everyone who plays this game, plays it the same way.

If you can't accept that someone else is getting joy out of collecting colors while you have your joy in building or breeding, you should really rethink a lot of things because THIS actually applies to real life. Everyone likes different things and we should be grateful for that, we are not a hivemind.

I'd like to see the wipes because watching people melt down over losing what amounts to imaginary friends is hilarious.

Archived