Server hosting requirements

Denvist

For PvP it is probably better to rent with a server that has anti-ddos protection. The reason for this is because if it becomes popular you will encounter people who want to go to war against the server in order to protect their base. The box that you will want to rent will need to have the necessary hardware and platform features to let you do what you want. A 32 GB box for a single or dual map setup with at least 4 CPU cores and 8 threads, will be an ideal. For PvP, you will want to go for a gaming CPU that has strong single core performance. A multi-core CPU such as Threadripper will only be useful to you if you plan to do large clusters and are typically only expecting an audience of around 30 to 40 people on a single map. If you have a popular PvP server, you may want to try for around 50 to 70 players on a map and thus will want to focus on single core performance.

Try and avoid servers that charge you per player slot. Those are garbage. Aim for specs instead. Again, anti-ddos, 32 GB for 1 or 2 maps, and strong single core performance of around 4 cores 8 threads.

• 2 weeks later...

I see what you mean. You should pay for hardware, not slots. Is 32 gb RAM required to run a pvp server? Well, i think i could start a place, and then upgrade if needed. I haven’t seen that many providers who sells hardware instead of slots, other than gameserverapp.com. A dedicated server is expensive in my eyes. To host a good server, is a dedicated server a must?

Sphere has some good points there.

But no, a dedicated server is not a requirement.

Allow about 8Gb RAM per map that you want to run.  A friend had about 30 people connected to his server last night, across 4 maps - the server was using 30Gb RAM.

Each map likes to have its own Core (2 threads).  This is pretty much essential - the Ark server is very CPU intensive.

Archived