lags LAGS in official servers - lets discuss how to decrease them

slejo

LAGS in official servers - lets discuss how to decrease them

Playing game at ragna is unplayable these days. Other maps too. Lets discuss how to lower lags to make devs suggestions.

IMHO and from devs infos lags are caused by too many active dino numbers, so there have to be a way to fix it (lower this number)

My ideas:

1 - Lower active dino limit per tribe and allies to 50%
2 - Faster starvation of unusable active dinos - 10x more
3 - Make wild dinos be able to destroy structures - stone easier and metal tougher... but imho tek should be immune.
4 - Make some kind of enraging or disease of unusable active dinos
5 - Drasticaly nerfing breeding efficiency - and boosting simple taming (hunting)
6 - Remove cloning chamber from game :)

7 - If nothing helps - offer us official monthly paid cluster connected to official free cluster

Anyone with other ideas?

Edit:

8 - Limit dino number of one species. For example max 10 spinos, etc... per tribe and ally. To stop massive breeders

- Make Cryo no more Tek dependent (So all people are storing its dino in it and not only the maybe 10% of the players which have Tek)

- Implement the logic of the Mod "capitalism dino garage" into the cryopods (Save the data in separate savefile, no more in the main savefile of the server)

----> Or more better. Implement the Redis DB of Atlas to ARK so the data can be stored there without any performanceloss if there is much data (much dinos).

Not sure what is being experienced here. My tribe plays official Rag and Extinction on decent sized population servers and the only lag that we get is when the server saves every 15 mins or so. I mean it would be nice if they found a way to save without huge lag spikes but outside of that my tribe does not see any lag issues.

2 hours ago, Aikar said:

So make the game unplayable for casuals, got it. 

Just life. Pay if you want comfort.

18 minutes ago, Oldster said:

You should start by defining what you mean by lag. The term refers to slow or intermittent internet. If you mean engine performance you should say that instead, fps or stutter etc.

Its not FPS, slow internet connection ping etc. Its SERVER hang usually for 10-25 seconds, sometimes more.  All players notice it and curses it via chat. This hand causes fall damege, killing players or dinos, sometimes loosing equiplemt.

1 hour ago, bannedbybirth said:

Most of these ideas are horrible, after I read it again - I change my mind, all of these ideas are horrible. 

Give then yours, smartass. We will compare yours and mine...

2 hours ago, Brainpox said:

Not sure what is being experienced here. My tribe plays official Rag and Extinction on decent sized population servers and the only lag that we get is when the server saves every 15 mins or so. I mean it would be nice if they found a way to save without huge lag spikes but outside of that my tribe does not see any lag issues.

Please tell me where is this fantastic server. Our EU 434 lagging every 5 minutes causing fall damage, killing players and dinos. Not only at weekends.

The majority of lags come from the server saves. You can verify that with the upload timer. Wildcard could solve this by saving the server in chunks and putting it together in the background. That would probably take recoding the entire structure which won't happen. To combat the other lags I suggest more incentive to use cryopods.

hardware - you all release the servers have never been updated hardware wise yet the game is consistently wanting more power - I doubt their servers are even up to the minimal specs for the game now.   Most the lag issues if you've noticed are server side lags,  due to - lack of memory - slow drive performance - limited processor power.  

Adding cryofidges and cryopods so that everyone can use them won't resolve the problem, on the main server I've been playing on everyones been making cryofridges and pods for people who don't have the replicator yet, and it doesn't help to be perfectly honest.   

making people use servers that is close to where they live is probably the easiest and best low cost way to reduce lag

or wc could offer a group of high performance servers by running only a single map per server to make them high performance, players would have to purchase a monthly subscription through steam to be able to log into these servers

Horrible ideas. I agree that the lag during server saves is very bad, but all of your ideas are terrible. The only one I support is official servers with a monthly subscriptions fee.

Nerfing aspects of the game just because they don't impact you personally is a surefire way for your ideas to be ignored by the devs and raged upon by the players.

3 hours ago, Woodsman said:

making people use servers that is close to where they live is probably the easiest and best low cost way to reduce lag

or wc could offer a group of high performance servers by running only a single map per server to make them high performance, players would have to purchase a monthly subscription through steam to be able to log into these servers

Has nothing to due at all with the lag spike every time the server saves. What you are talking about is ping, which is the players' responsibility.

The lag that you say you experience for 10-25 seconds is called a server save. This occurs every 15 minutes, and is not related to your whining about lag. If you experience frequent lagging outside of that, it is from your end and not the server. I hop to every type of map for trading and do not experience what you're describing. I have been to a few EU official PVE servers as well this week and the only type of "lag" i notice is my ping which is expected as I live far from EU servers (NA player).

It could be that you're far from the server, in which case I would recommend you moving to another server that is smoother. Otherwise, it could be your bandwidth at home. Using Wifi instead of an ethernet cable connection is one culprit. Your family members could also be eating up bandwidth by watching videos/playing games/etc with any device connected to your home's internet.

Cryopods saved this game. Before cryopods you would see many tribes with 500 dinos because they wanted room to be able to tame as everyone else on the server had 500 and the servers were constantly capped. Be happy you can live comfortably on servers now.

First of all.... Ahahahahajahahahahahahahahh

Secondly I never experienced lag until asian tribes came to the server with names [][][] it's fine if 1-2 join but 20 lags the s*it out of the server rubberbanding their 200+ ping to the rest of us and the only way to decrease lag(other than upgrading the servers) is limiting the amount of people joining from other continents at the same time... I see so many asian and US servers almost empty while every EU has 40+ players at some point of the day :/

if u wanna pay monthly or weekly for a different server cluster I don't see why not, but it should be on its own cluster, you shouldn't be able to transfer to normal ones cause if I know the devs they're gonna give u constant 2x or something if that happens... 

maybe u should go unofficial? Lots of servers out for rent or even pay every month for access.

I mean u are obviously a new player or u lost your Dino's, why else would u wanna limit everyone's Dino's and making them starve quicker? So gigas dying in 3 days isn't bad enough? U think they should starve in 3 hours?

I think almost every one of your problems is solved on prim+ or no Dino servers, I'd suggest going there? Cause ur radical ideas aren't for any older and or bigger tribe

6 hours ago, mudplayerx said:

Nerfing aspects of the game just because they don't impact you personally is a surefire way for your ideas to be ignored by the devs and raged upon by the players.

How do you know if they dont impact me personally... I am breeding, feeding... have structures, bases dinos and my play is in all aspects of game... But im not expose 100 of my manas.. gigas and owls like exhibitions. 

6 hours ago, EatMyDust said:

The lag that you say you experience for 10-25 seconds is called a server save. This occurs every 15 minutes, and is not related to your whining about lag. If you experience frequent lagging outside of that, it is from your end and not the server.

No, no, no! Its more often than 15 minutes and i see in global chat that MANY players have the same issue. They writes "1"... or other words to check out when hangs will be over.. When its weekend problem doubles... Sometime players feel hangs every 3 mins... Are the server saves more frequently at weekends??? 

You guys maybe playing different game or different servers that you dont notice it... and you dont notice players frustration in global chat!

Unfortunately the way the game is designed mean that lag is essentially unavoidable, especially when you couple that with subpar servers. It would take a redesign of the game to limit or eliminate the problems currently encountered. I have to say most of these ideas would take what is already an insanely grindy game and make it even worse. The only one I really agree with is lower the population cap of a tribe but I would couple that with a decrease in the mating interval to compete for breeding. 

As it stands IMHO, the best way to experience this game (in a way which limits lag etc), especially in PvE, is to play on a low population server with an active admin who can deal with any problems that may arise. 

3 hours ago, Klakky said:

maybe u should go unofficial? Lots of servers out for rent or even pay every month for access.

I mean u are obviously a new player or u lost your Dino's, why else would u wanna limit everyone's Dino's and making them starve quicker? So gigas dying in 3 days isn't bad enough? U think they should starve in 3 hours?

Why you want to banish me from official cluster. I like it.. from 2,5 years play i have bases and dinos there and friends i dont want to leave. I want to point an issue of server lagging to have more enjoy of game for me and all ppl i know there.

Make cryopods easier to get with no penalty cooldowns / dino sicks / expiration etc.  Make them available to low level players.  Perhaps throw them out there in every event.  Hand them out instead of skins when we die.  Put them in the sup drops.

Large buildings cause more lag than dino count.  Give us home instances with unlimited building and unlimited dino count.  A teleporter that would lead to a homestead instance.  Then after we have functioning home instances and only after that reduce the number of construction objects each tribe is allowed to own.

The server save on server side every 15 minutes causes the largest lag spike of all.  Save the server every hour not every fifteen minutes.  Make sure to do several manual saves right before every update even if you think the update is simple and nothing could possibly go wrong.

40 minutes ago, Jemcrystal said:

Make cryopods easier to get with no penalty cooldowns / dino sicks / expiration etc.

At least for PvE that would be a good idea. For PvP. No..

Also OP is probably playing Ragn. The serversave takes a while there. Thats just how it is. Maybe one day we get an optimized Ark 2. I agree the lag on the weekends get worse but I can't say for certain if thats the servers. Other players experience this too but at least half of the lags I would say come from my side, I have the best possible connection with 500mbit but on weekends the performance goes does rapidly. You should double check your connection, FPS and run some analytics. Also since Ark is so resource hungry an SSD / Faster Ram can help too. Overall my Ark runs smooth enough.

Archived