Is it practical to transfer from ark to ark frequently and do boss fights/caves?

PFM

Is it practical to transfer from ark to ark frequently and do boss fights?

I have played this game for hundreds of hours but I still don't really have a good grasp of how downloading and moving from arks works. I'm on the Center and I realized that the map sort of lacks the end-game content bosses and caves that the island or other maps have. So, my question is, is it practical for me to go from The Center to The Island, take a bunch of my dinos, and do the boss fights or caves, and then come back to the Center with my dinos and any loot I acquired?

The last time I played the game,(I quit for a couple years) it required you to drop all of your items upon downloading your character, which, to me, seems like it would render transfering between arks frequently an impractical endeavor. And as far as I'm aware, you can't transfer element from ark to ark, and the Center only allows for unlocks of certain Tek gear, would it be possible for me to go to another map and unlock all of the engrams and come back to The Center and acquire the necessary element there? 

Considering that you are using the obelisks to transfer, I would imagine that it is impossible to transfer sea dinos? Or no?

It is possible, I don't transfer characters hardly ever because I fear the chance of them being deleted by accident, so I don't know the answers to EVERYTHING you asked (I think at one point at least (not sure if it is still a thing) you could take your items in your inventory with you though). Cryopods (pokemon balls, basically) are a thing now and you can pod your sea dinos and upload them like any other item.

Practical based only on your patience for time.

You can not transfer element but you can learn the engrams and then craft whatever on your home map.

If you are PvP then of course you'll need an Alpha/Mega's permission or to be ready to fight in case you get caught. For engrams alone, it may behoove you to get a carry for other map boss fights. Someone will charge you ammo/tek you can make/etc and then let you sit in in a fight they are running. You can find those on trade sites.

If you're PvE, you can acquire all artifacts on the Center for island/rag fight but will still need to farm the trophies (rex arms, etc) on the map you are running the fight on.

You can transfer with items on you if they are clear of the upload timer. Dino's have a 12 hour cool down on other maps unless in cryopods. You also have 50 slots to upload items in the Ark data.

You can transfer water tames in either cryopods or at a water drop or at a transmitter in the water and download them the same way.

The biggest risk is losing dino's, items, or your character due to a bug or roll back but to unlock all engrams and tek engrams you have to jump maps and run/participate in fights.

11 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

You can transfer with items on you if they are clear of the upload timer. Dino's have a 12 hour cool down on other maps unless in cryopods. You also have 50 slots to upload items in the Ark data.

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate on this "upload timer" and items?

Also, are you saying that you can only upload one dino per 12 hours?

8 minutes ago, PFM said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate on this "upload timer" and items?

Also, are you saying that you can only upload one dino per 12 hours?

A dino can only be uploaded once per 12 hours, so if you download it, you'll need to wait 12 hrs before taking it back. Unless you use a cryo pod of course. 

I'm also a Centre player. The centre bosses are easily defeated and the artifacts are easily obtained, but you're right that a lot of tek doesn't unlock by killing them. 

Our tribe paid ings to another tribe to get a seat on a boss battle on Ragnarok. It's not too hard to find a tribe that will do this for you. 

52 minutes ago, Bruvas78 said:

A dino can only be uploaded once per 12 hours, so if you download it, you'll need to wait 12 hrs before taking it back. Unless you use a cryo pod of course. 

I'm also a Centre player. The centre bosses are easily defeated and the artifacts are easily obtained, but you're right that a lot of tek doesn't unlock by killing them. 

Our tribe paid ings to another tribe to get a seat on a boss battle on Ragnarok. It's not too hard to find a tribe that will do this for you. 

So the restriction is on uploading the same dino every 12 hours? So you can download different dinos as frequently as you would like?

And what is this upload timer with respect to the items?

There is a 15 min timer that continuously resets.  If you put something in your inventory,  you have to wait for the timer to hit zero and reset.  If you put a pod in your inventory :30 seconds before reset you can upload with it after reset.  If you then pod an animal in that pod after the 30 seconds went up you will have to wait 15 min. 

Yes,  an animal would have to wait 12hrs to upload straight through data as a creature after it has moved servers already.  But. , put the animal in a pod and send in data or on you character and there’s no problem.

Yes, same dino (or uncryo'd dino) can only be uploaded 12 hours after being downloaded - I think most people, myself included, just cryo dino's for transfer - which turns them into an item instead of a dino. 

On official, items have at most a 15 minute cooldown - Just go up to a transmitter (if you have the engram) or obelisk's inventory and see what the countdown is within your inventory or hotbar - anything with a timer on it before the timer expires would be dropped when you transfer (all things with a timer will have the same timer - so you can keep adding to your inventory and not change the current timer until the timer expires), once there is no timer on an item then it will transfer with you, in your inventory or on you (in the case of armor/clothing). 

I'd recommend setting up a small camp on your target servers, then you can spawn in at those beds when you transfer, rather than finding yourself in imminent danger. Transferring is pretty safe these days, I sometimes do it 10-20 times in a single ark session. That being said, as a golden rule, don't transfer for 24 hours after a client or server patch, and check the forums for lost char reports beforehand ;). 

Used to be afraid to transfer, now I do it almost every day. Just gotta watch the transfer timers so you dont drop anything important. Keep in mind with items that have spoil timers you can only transfer them ONCE then they get stuck on that map. It will just keep resetting the transfer timer to 15 minutes when it hits 0. I had a lot of kibble stuck on a server I didnt want to use it on for a while till I figured out you can make a new kibble (or whatever item is stuck) and merge the old kibble to the new kibble stack and it will then let you transfer it again.

I would highly recommend going to extinction and learning the engrams for cryopods + cryo fridges and unstable element and shards. When I am running low on element and I dont want to do a boss fight I transfer to extinction, farm some streetlights and benches with a doed + argy, transfer all the dust back to my home server and convert it into element there. Its pretty handy to keep the tek generators going in a crunch.  The cryopods make transferring dinos much much simpler, just cryo them and transfer your character then uncryo them, no 12 hour hassle.

At the obelisk or drop or transmitter (whatever you use), there will be an ark data tab on the top that you need to switch to if you plan on uploading items to the obelisk(make sure you dont accidentally put it into the tribute section because for 1 that wont transfer and other people can just go take it. 2 cause if you do it by mistake and take it out of tribute to put it in the ark data the act of moving it will reset its transfer timer which is a real pain sometimes.

You dont need to put items into the ark data to transfer them, transferring your character will transfer everything on you but if you are transferring to farm then you become limited by what your character can hold so the ark data is another 50 slots you can work with.

Archived