Play anywhere FPS limit

Scheneighnay

Play anywhere FPS limit

On the Play Anywhere PC version, I'm noticing my FPS is always either my refresh rate (to be expected) or half of my refresh rate- nothing in between. So for my 75hz monitor it's at either 75 or 37.

anyone else getting this or know why that is?

On the 60hz monitor I had, it would always be 60 or 30 as well, but 37 fps is surprisingly a lot less choppy-looking than 30.

30 minutes ago, Scheneighnay said:

Play anywhere FPS limit

On the Play Anywhere PC version, I'm noticing my FPS is always either my refresh rate (to be expected) or half of my refresh rate- nothing in between. So for my 75hz monitor it's at either 75 or 37.

anyone else getting this or know why that is?

On the 60hz monitor I had, it would always be 60 or 30 as well, but 37 fps is surprisingly a lot less choppy-looking than 30.

Sounds like vertical syncing is enabled.  It will lock FPS to a fraction of your refresh rate as well as place a cap letting it go no higher than your refresh rate.  If your system can't push a constant 60+ FPS with your 60hz monitor, it will drop to 45 (3/4 refresh sync, if your game FPS is above 45 but below 60) or to 30 (1/2 refresh sync, if your game FPS is above 30 but below 45), depending on game FPS.  The 75hz monitor's refresh fractionals are just different, that's all, with 37 being roughly 1/2 of 75.  You might've known this, because you did say it's to be expected.

Can you just disable vertical sync?  You can get a better idea of the real performance of the system, and where your FPS is landing maybe?

Or are you asking why you are only locking to either the refresh rate, or exactly half of it?  Because the answer is likely ARK performance related.  Even powerful graphics cards, huge amounts of RAM, and the beefiest CPUs are brought to their knees by the almighty ShooterGame.exe, nothing we can really do about it.  Open world areas with no bases, you zoom up to 65-75 FPS so the system adjusts the vertical sync FPS lock to its maximum of 60 (or 75).  Hit a base area and it slams down to 40 or so, still smooth, but the system adjusts to that 1/2 refresh rate sync and locks you to 30 (or 37).

3 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

Sounds like vertical syncing is enabled.  It will lock FPS to a fraction of your refresh rate as well as place a cap letting it go no higher than your refresh rate.  If your system can't push a constant 60+ FPS with your 60hz monitor, it will drop to 45 (3/4 refresh sync, if your game FPS is above 45 but below 60) or to 30 (1/2 refresh sync, if your game FPS is above 30 but below 45), depending on game FPS.  The 75hz monitor's refresh fractionals are just different, that's all, with 37 being roughly 1/2 of 75.  You might've known this, because you did say it's to be expected.

Can you just disable vertical sync?  You can get a better idea of the real performance of the system, and where your FPS is landing maybe?

Or are you asking why you are only locking to either the refresh rate, or exactly half of it?  Because the answer is likely ARK performance related.  Even powerful graphics cards, huge amounts of RAM, and the beefiest CPUs are brought to their knees by the almighty ShooterGame.exe, nothing we can really do about it.  Open world areas with no bases, you zoom up to 65-75 FPS so the system adjusts the vertical sync FPS lock to its maximum of 60 (or 75).  Hit a base area and it slams down to 40 or so, still smooth, but the system adjusts to that 1/2 refresh rate sync and locks you to 30 (or 37).

Yeah, I was mostly just asking why it's a thing because it isn't on a steam version. Definitely a good trade-off though, as performance is much better than the steam version.

Archived