ORP Dino decay? Since when? Lost everything D:

Calus

ORP Dino decay? Since when? Lost everything ?
-

My girlfriend and I have been playing on an ORP server for over half  year now. It allows us to go about our busy lives, and still enjoy the game without the bs of PvE servers. We're off / and on with how active we are, as some months are too busy to play actively, but our busy months we only log in to maintenance the base / animals.

We went on an 8-9 day vacation last week, though. No problem, we have 12 days to log in and everything will still be intact. We've been on longer trips before and only lost a few low level tames to starvation. This time we lost everything. We logged into a completely empty base. All our tames were listed as "auto-decayed" in the log, which I didn't know was even a thing. I looked it up, and apparently it's a PvE server thing with and 8-day timer (should be at least matched to stone decay imo).

It was heart-breaking. I can take losing things to players. It's sucks, but it's fair. We've lost a lot in an offline attack before ORP kicked in before. This was different though. It felt completely out of our control, unfair, and unexpected. The thing is, we've taken longer vacations before, and we've always known we've had 12 days to log back in. I'm aware decay was off for a month or so, but we've taken multiple trips this year (and one time we forgot to log in for over an entire week when busy?)

So I have a few questions. 
- Does anyone know what happened?? Did they suddenly add dino decay to ORP servers? I didn't see any warning..
- Is there anything that can be done about this? We lost everything in a completely demoralizing way. It feels really unfair and without warning.

Always been 8 days, missed the timer by an hour a couple of years ago when life got in the way & lost 400+ tames.... at least we had eggs from all the important lines in the fridge (fail-over gennies, so had power for 14 days). I'd agree that dino despawn timer should be the same as for metal tier buildings - at least on PvE - hardly matters on PvP as if you leave a base for more than a day or 2 it's raided anyway.

• Volunteer Moderator
59 minutes ago, FeyGriffin said:

I'd agree that dino despawn timer should be the same as for metal tier buildings

I disagree. Extending the timers would just be a step back to tame cap issues. If you want your tame to lasts as long as your metal building, just freeze them and they will  be safe in your cryofridges. Also, if you place your cryofridges directly on the ground instead of placed on a foundation or ceiling, their decay timers would be 40 days so you could leave for a month and still keep your tames even if the cryofridges are not powered since the pods themselves are good for 30 days when charged. You would still lose your other structures, but we are talking about tames here.

21 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

I disagree. Extending the timers would just be a step back to tame cap issues. If you want your tame to lasts as long as your metal building, just freeze them and they will  be safe in your cryofridges. Also, if you place your cryofridges directly on the ground instead of placed on a foundation or ceiling, their decay timers would be 40 days so you could leave for a month and still keep your tames even if the cryofridges are not powered since the pods themselves are good for 30 days when charged. You would still lose your other structures, but we are talking about tames here.

I'd agree for the servers that are clustered, however I used to play on Rag Isolated 60 on legacy, for isolated servers there is no possibility of cryo, and, as far as I know, settings have to be the same for all official servers, which is why I say dino decay should be the same as metal structures. Also it's really hard for new players to get cryo on some servers, they don't have the experience or don't have the expansion to get it from Extinction, and trading for cryo usually (IME) involves at least the 1 element to run the replicator. So not an option for a fair proportion of the player base. Now we're on the new servers it's easy for us, but we're a tribe with over 30K ark hours between us (4 players), it's not going to be so easy for a new tribe who might not have extinction.

p.s. I'd consider tame cap & cryo a separate subject - since cryo I've not encountered a capped server on PC-PvE, but the cap problem would be much less if cryo wasn't locked behind a paid for expansion & tek tier (to craft) - should be available at lvl 80-90 on all maps with no tek needed to craft IMO.

Archived