How do I play with friends but not a non-dedicated server?

Tortuga

I’m trying to play with just my friends but don’t want to play with anyone else and want to have them join whenever they want without me being online. Tried to do non-dedicated server but the host tether distance on Xbox is ridiculous and we can’t just roam anywhere. We just want to have a world to ourselves and not do a non-dedicated server so there isn’t one person that has to be online at all times. 

16 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I’m trying to play with just my friends but don’t want to play with anyone else and want to have them join whenever they want without me being online. Tried to do non-dedicated server but the host tether distance on Xbox is ridiculous and we can’t just roam anywhere. We just want to have a world to ourselves and not do a non-dedicated server so there isn’t one person that has to be online at all times. 

You’ll need a dedicated server then. You have 3 options, either use a another Xbox to host the server, a Windows 10 PC, or rent from Nitrado. If you choose 1 of the first 2 options, you can game share with yourself to save money on live membership, and if you bought the game electronically you can install it for free (though Xbox gamepass ultimate will work even if you have a disc game).

Nitrado is probably the best way to go because you can get donations where people add run time directly to your server to help cover costs - something that people who continuously bash rentals fail to mention. My community are happy to donate so there’s no reason why your friends shouldn’t feel comfortable. Nitrado hosting trumps the first 2 options by a long shot too.

12 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

You’ll need a dedicated server then. You have 3 options, either use a another Xbox to host the server, a Windows 10 PC, or rent from Nitrado. If you choose 1 of the first 2 options, you can game share with yourself to save money on live membership, and if you bought the game electronically you can install it for free (though Xbox gamepass ultimate will work even if you have a disc game).

Nitrado is probably the best way to go because you can get donations where people add run time directly to your server to help cover costs - something that people who continuously bash rentals fail to mention. My community are happy to donate so there’s no reason why your friends shouldn’t feel comfortable. Nitrado hosting trumps the first 2 options by a long shot too.

I can donate to the servers I like if they are on Nitrado?  Cool. How do I find out what server host they have?  Or do I have to ask the admin paying for the server directly?

5 hours ago, Aushegun said:

I can donate to the servers I like if they are on Nitrado?  Cool. How do I find out what server host they have?  Or do I have to ask the admin paying for the server directly?

5 hours ago, DeHammer said:

You don't need to go with Nitrado specifically. I imagine there are lots of options for server rentals. We use Host Havoc and they also have a system for users to donate to the cost of the server. Our own experience with Host Havoc has been pain free. Super easy to use and manage. 

Nope. On Xbox there is only 1 option which is why I only stated Nitrado. Microsoft are greedy and skim off the top meaning Nitrado had to create its own app and charge a little extra within the Microsoft store in order for all purchases to go through there first but Nitrado absorbed most of the extra cost.

Even donating goes through the Microsoft store however I believe all of the money goes to the server. Nitrado had to create a new system called server boosting that adds run time directly to the server through a code, all because of Microsoft’s policy to go through their store. It sucked because it wasn’t there from the start but Nitrado worked hard to get it released after a few weeks.

For me, my community have always helped out with the odd donation but only recently has it been more appreciated because I’ve added 4 servers since February.

24 minutes ago, Kodking194 said:

o know G-portal or what ever its name is is trying to work something  out on xbox 

G portal already have servers for Conan and PixArk with their own app on the Microsoft store so I’m not surprised however they are taking their time. The problem you have is the cost will likely be the same (looking at their other games) and you’ll be choosing a provider based on server performance and customer service.

27 minutes ago, Kodking194 said:

g-portal r pretty cheap, and some youtubers have a link in their channel that give you discounts, and what i like about them is say u get over conan, u can swithc the server to an ark server or pixark server, 

Not on Xbox they aren’t as PixArk is the same price and Conan works out to a worse price per slot than Nitrado in comparison to Ark, plus I doubt the YouTuber discounts will work through the Microsoft store.

Archived