guide *Guide* Host Xbox servers via PC Windows 10 Store Version of Ark

On 1/23/2020 at 1:50 AM, AndrokSurvivor said:

I did a thing... 

So I've been hosting two windows 10 player dedicated servers for a while now and thanks to this post I was able to synchronize the obelisk, character data and maps between the two servers using different pieces of synchronization software. Eventually I got tired of the various issues that came with the sync software, especially when the obelisk just wouldn't sync randomly.. so I thought to myself, hey! I'm a developer, why don't I just write my own program! So I did...

I've created a java program specifically for windows 10 ark that synchronizes the server files for me so that I can transfer between the two servers and since the map files are also synced I can launch any map on either server, freedom!! Even better I turned the program into a .jar application and created a .bat (executable) file that I can simply double click to start the synchronization program, then I completely upped my game and used task scheduler to schedule the .bat file to start whenever someone logs onto the computer. So now I can literally turn on my computer, start up ark and host a player dedicated server and all the synchronization happens by itself.  

The best thing? The application is programmed by me so I have all the power muahahahahahahaha - JK, the best thing is that it's simple and lightweight unlike most sync software out there.

However, I'm not just here to brag... without the information on ark's file structure provided in this post I wouldn't have been able to create my little program. Hence, if anyone is interested I'm willing to share it! :) 

hi I am very interested in your program. I want to fix clusters. how should i proceed

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/10/2019 at 2:30 PM, Juggernaut said:

3. Hosting multiple maps at once with different xbox accounts and client crashes

the issue is that Microsoft has a license service that eventually detects that you are running multiple copies, and will kill the one before it. Start the Ark server as you normally do.Wait for the console admin screen to appear, then disable the service using: net stop LicenseManager. Note that the LicenseManager must be running to get fully logged into the game, so you cannot disable it, only start/stop it.You also do not need to restart the service as launching the game restarts it for you! I created batch file on the desktop for easy access. thanks to @MatrixDreamer

How did you bat. the file? would need one. something you can share?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/10/2020 at 4:28 PM, MatrixDreamer said:

Great job Juggernaut!

I have been running my own Win10 crossplay servers now for a couple years and concur with and confirm all of your post!

Around summer of 2019 I finally figured out how to host multiple servers using virtual machines in VirtualBox !
It is a bit complicated, and I don't think it is appropriate for me to post those details in a reply.
May post on its own if requested.

I have some things to add to Juggernaut's post...

Firstly, most of the limitations and issues root from the fact that the game is being run from the AppStore, and runs under a different framework than the normal PC version.
The appstore apps programs and files are secured in a way that prevents tampering.
There is in fact a server statup batch file, you can view it (if you can find it), but cannot edit it.
For this reason, and the requirement of having to login to xbox live, it cannot be run headless or be started automatically.
(although I am certain that Nitrado crossplay servers do not login to xbox live, and are headless...hmmm, what do they know that we don't?)

Some other info that I wish to impart:

Important: Windows Firewall MUST be enabled, you may not be able to access the server from the Internet (WLAN) if it is not enabled (but I think LAN works).

Juggernaut didn't mention port forwarding here and I am glad for that because many people have you setup port forwarding needlessly.
As it turns out the Win10 crossplay version relies entirely upon UPNP (with the exception of RCON) !!
Beware that the ports ARE NOT CONFIGURABLE! (except for RCON).

RCON does work, and you can also use it to somewhat manage your server, you can enable the RCON settings in your GameUserSettings.ini
(I have a phone app [ARCON for ARK] that lets me login to all my servers and check online player list, chat logs, and run some commands remotely like destroyalldinos)

For example (GameUserSettings.ini):
[ServerSettings]
RCONEnabled=True
RCONPort=27023
RCONServerGameLogBuffer=600.000000

You WILL NEED to port forward your RCONPort (TCP) to your server address.
You WILL NEED to put in a similar windows firewall inbound rule.

Some significant things that are known to not work (and reiterrating what Juggernaut says):
- After ANY restart the server will not appear in the server lists for several days.
- The whitelist does not work, so you lose adminstrators across restarts.
  That means you will have to give admins the password.
- Character/Dino transfers don't work at all (although Juggernaut's post has given me some ideas on that!)

Some significant benifits:
- No monthly server hosting feees!!
- Not limited to server hosting slot limitations, you want to run 71, you got it!
- Full backups!
- Full backups (this one counts twice)(I have used them on several occasions - a lifesaver)
- Full access to the Game and GameUser ini settings (although some settings do not work)
- You control

I also have a sophisticated backup powershell script that is designed to handle multiple servers, and retain a certain number of backups (self-cleaning).
(I may post if requested)

If your interested, using c# I've programmed an application that gives you a graphical interface specifically for backing up Ark files. It supports backing up cluster files and save files at seperate intervals, supports setting custom intervals and custom max number of saves as well as support for manual saves and marking things as milestones. I'm working on a feature to automatically through just a few clicks rollback to any specified save file.
It even automatically updates your servers message of the day with a custom message that can include things like the current date/time when the last backup was and when the last change to the servers ini files was (Whether or not it's stable)
image.png.108c0a9c52dfc5a13c4e12a66857eeea.pngIt even minimizes to the system tray and is built specifically to use the least amount of RAM/cpu as possible and the code only runs for a few milliseconds every given autosave. It also has a built in event log which you can click to copy, this includes every action from backups to message of the day updates to any errors encountered. On my computer even with it open (unminimized) it uses no cpu and just 16.1 mb of ram.
I had only used it for myself but if your interested I can package it up and put it somewhere for download :)
Also if anybody is interested I've managed to get a cluster server working pretty much beautifully via a little thing called syncthing.

On 3/28/2021 at 5:32 PM, Torsten85 said:

How did you bat. the file? would need one. something you can share?

Step 1: Open notepad
Step 2: Type in: net stop LicenseManager
Step 3: Save file and make sure to replace the .txt with name.bat
Step 4: Right click file and hit create shortcut (IMPORTANT)
Step 5: Open up shortcut properties and under advanced select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR (IMPORTANT)
Step 6: Place shortcut wherever is convenient for you

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I have run into a new problem that i have not been able to fix or find an answer on my own. When launching Windows 10 Ark, and click the host dedicated server. i noticed it loads normally then after the loading screen i have a Generic blank black screen i can still pull up all the screens via Console Commands and pause screen. but i cant seem to get the Admin Menu to load. The Main one i need to activate use of console commands on xbox. This is probably an easy fix but have been struggling with this for 2 days. my friends can still join and play no problem, but i cant white list them or we cant pull up console commands on xbox due to it being deactivated. 

3 hours ago, AbleAllen said:

Hello! I have run into a new problem that i have not been able to fix or find an answer on my own. When launching Windows 10 Ark, and click the host dedicated server. i noticed it loads normally then after the loading screen i have a Generic blank black screen i can still pull up all the screens via Console Commands and pause screen. but i cant seem to get the Admin Menu to load. The Main one i need to activate use of console commands on xbox. This is probably an easy fix but have been struggling with this for 2 days. my friends can still join and play no problem, but i cant white list them or we cant pull up console commands on xbox due to it being deactivated. 

Yeah it is a known issue since the last big update. I am having the same problem.

You could let players enable commands themselves, but you need to give them the admin password... 

• 4 weeks later...

I was playing on 2 xboxes with my son and decided to download the Windows 10 version to host a server.  I did all the steps you listed, and it works great, but I cannot figure out how to use the map that we originally started playing on for the dedicated server.  I can play on that map on my pc using the xbox app, and I can find the saved game files, but when I switch to the silver account to host a server, there isn't any new maps or folders created.  I though I could simply copy and past the map, but I can't figure out where the silver account is saving it's files, if at all.

thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/10/2020 at 10:28 PM, MatrixDreamer said:

Great job Juggernaut!

I have been running my own Win10 crossplay servers now for a couple years and concur with and confirm all of your post!

Around summer of 2019 I finally figured out how to host multiple servers using virtual machines in VirtualBox !
It is a bit complicated, and I don't think it is appropriate for me to post those details in a reply.
May post on its own if requested.

I have some things to add to Juggernaut's post...

Firstly, most of the limitations and issues root from the fact that the game is being run from the AppStore, and runs under a different framework than the normal PC version.
The appstore apps programs and files are secured in a way that prevents tampering.
There is in fact a server statup batch file, you can view it (if you can find it), but cannot edit it.
For this reason, and the requirement of having to login to xbox live, it cannot be run headless or be started automatically.
(although I am certain that Nitrado crossplay servers do not login to xbox live, and are headless...hmmm, what do they know that we don't?)

Some other info that I wish to impart:

Important: Windows Firewall MUST be enabled, you may not be able to access the server from the Internet (WLAN) if it is not enabled (but I think LAN works).

Juggernaut didn't mention port forwarding here and I am glad for that because many people have you setup port forwarding needlessly.
As it turns out the Win10 crossplay version relies entirely upon UPNP (with the exception of RCON) !!
Beware that the ports ARE NOT CONFIGURABLE! (except for RCON).

RCON does work, and you can also use it to somewhat manage your server, you can enable the RCON settings in your GameUserSettings.ini
(I have a phone app [ARCON for ARK] that lets me login to all my servers and check online player list, chat logs, and run some commands remotely like destroyalldinos)

For example (GameUserSettings.ini):
[ServerSettings]
RCONEnabled=True
RCONPort=27023
RCONServerGameLogBuffer=600.000000

You WILL NEED to port forward your RCONPort (TCP) to your server address.
You WILL NEED to put in a similar windows firewall inbound rule.

Some significant things that are known to not work (and reiterrating what Juggernaut says):
- After ANY restart the server will not appear in the server lists for several days.
- The whitelist does not work, so you lose adminstrators across restarts.
  That means you will have to give admins the password.
- Character/Dino transfers don't work at all (although Juggernaut's post has given me some ideas on that!)

Some significant benifits:
- No monthly server hosting feees!!
- Not limited to server hosting slot limitations, you want to run 71, you got it!
- Full backups!
- Full backups (this one counts twice)(I have used them on several occasions - a lifesaver)
- Full access to the Game and GameUser ini settings (although some settings do not work)
- You control

I also have a sophisticated backup powershell script that is designed to handle multiple servers, and retain a certain number of backups (self-cleaning).
(I may post if requested)

Hi MatrixDreamer, Do you know if there have been any major improvements or updates regarding what you can change with beacon apps? Some things don't seem to work on Xbox but I might be wrong. Does everything you change in .ini files actually work? Or does something have no effect on Xbox?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Can someone please confirm that the guide as outlined describes basically the only known method to access server data for an Xbox ark server. Nitrado does not allow ftp access and even hosting a dedicated server on the xbox doesn’t seem to grant access either. What I am seeing is a potential means of hosting a windows 10 xbox server that can actually be able to manually/locally backup server data, edit and program simple tasks using that data. Hopefully this is the case.

Archived