Veteran players take over servers, new players suffer

gabogs

10 hours ago, CowBoyKillers said:

Like others have said it really doesn't sound like you have looked around, sounds more like you want to build in a particular area and are set on doing so. Putting a rule on pillars like many others have said would really destroy PVE for to many reasons to list honestly.  And like others have said there are plenty of new people joining servers daily and all you see in global is can someone give me this can someone craft me that can someone give me dino's because im only level 10 what ever the case may be. 

Or one of my personal favorites is all the new people that come over to Rag just to get Wyvren eggs on a Pteranodon or Griffon and don't kill the wyvrens to reset the nests in the scar. Or just take the ice eggs and don't kill them so no new eggs spawn. So its up to the regular players to find and kill them to reset the nests I only bring this up because you want to play on RAG. Honestly when rag is your main server and you deal with people that do that sort of thing it messes it up for the entire server and it gets old quick. 

Like someone else had said this is by your own doing by starting in legacy if you did the research you claim you would of known that they have been shutting down legacy servers for well over a year now. So during the time you say you started they had just put out a bunch of new servers you could of had no problem starting out on. 

To sum up pillars and this cant be STRESSED ENOUGH they are there for the most part to protect dino spawns and resources, and for the rest of them its to offer distance from undesirable players that like to either grief players or kite stuff to others bases. Like others have said new players don't understand any of this all they see and understand is OMG this map is pillared every square inch I cant build.

You sound like most of the new people that want "play on Rag" but all they do is slap down a building so you can come onto Ragnarok and get wyvern eggs without regard to anything else .  Weather or not you intend to play on Rag as your main server, you want to be able to put down a building exactly where you want it despite the fact that others play on the server every day and put down pillars for many reasons.  Regular Rag players are quite frankly tired of the wyvern griefer's that ruin a rag server by stealing wyvern eggs without regard to killing the wyvern's or messing up the spawns or kiting them to others bases, or by building in a spot you deem the perfect spot weather its on resources or dino spawns just so you have a base to operate out of to get your eggs.

You can gather your building parts out of stone or metal save them up on a boat until you find a area but again it sounds like all you want is to be able to log onto a server spawn in around blue Obelisk like every other new player and slap up a building,  it just doesn't work that way. 

This is all correct..but MY issue is with the tribes with 2 or 3 members that pillar half of the whole map. I think in an earlier post i mentioned one tribe that had Rag blue ob pillared all the way to SW desert islands. Mainland was pillared to about 35 or so longitude. That’s absolutely asinine for a single tribe on pvE. At least on PVP you earn most of your loot/land.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

Pillaring is the PvE meta that developed to protect land claim and also protect resource and spawn areas.

Imagine if WC made pillars block resources and spawns. Maps would lose whole resources and dino species. This would be an even bigger problem.

WC cannot force PvE players to be nice to each other. Communities can choose to be cooperative but it only take 1 bad apple.

Well I actually assumed that pillars DID block spawning, I'll note that they don't.

You've brought up practical objections to potential solutions to the issue. I agree that there may be practical problems with resolving the issues. I'm merely confirming that there IS an issue here.

Incidentally I disagree with your claim that WC cannot force niceness. Games routinely DO precisely that, typically by designing systems such that individual actors are motivated to help rather than hinder, and "bad apples" are isolated and countered. This is quite basic system design and is present in all spheres of life. Game Theory being the underlyling mechanism.

17 hours ago, Melcreif said:

I don't see the point of this comment or how it's even relevant. 

Frankly I'm unconvinced that you dont see the relevance. The fact that this situation in Ark reflects bigger patterns in real life is quite clear, and the implied solutions (translated from real life to gaming) are as well. Perhaps we'll dither over their implementation or form but that's a side issue.

17 hours ago, ishootpaint said:

If you look at homosapians in their natural habitat like the ones in the amazon and remote pacific islands you would realize the complete opposite is true. Humans in our most basic levels of society prefer to live in harmony with nature and some dont even have a concept of owning land. Its more societal than natural of how it manifests itself in modern humans.

Competition is what drives humans and when you live in a primitive environment your competing just to stay alive which doesnt leave much free time for conquest. And that competition with nature has conditioned us to get as much as we can when we can. Once people have plenty of resources and stable day to day life that competition shifts, especially when it's the "others" your competing with. If you dont take it when you have the chance, the others will. 

Its not somthing that can be changed. It is ingrained in our DNA thanks to natural selection and how we evolved. It isn't instict to take more than we need, but competition that drives us to do it living as natural beings in a more and more "artificial" world. Its more of a byproduct than a direct impulse.

My $0.02

You're absolutely correct. I should have specified that I meant within the context of competition and scarce resources.

I don't think I agree that it cannot be changed. We have plenty of examples of humanity changing our base programmed instincts. For sure, however, it requires effort.

16 hours ago, MackTheKnife said:

I say this exact thing and everyone’s saying to me “It’s their choice! ChOicE!!! How dare you be so jUdGmEntAL omg i hate your grotesque (lol) and toxic attitude!”

This is primarily because realizing and accepting that your choices have significant consequences on every other aspect of reality leads to certain responsibilities that most do not wish to take up and admit.

I recently argued, on a YouTube video, for regulations. Half the participants either refused to admit to or failed to comprehend the influence of their choice on others.

It's simply the narrow scope of human morality.

13 hours ago, CowBoyKillers said:

Like others have said it really doesn't sound like you have looked around, sounds more like you want to build in a particular area and are set on doing so. Putting a rule on pillars like many others have said would really destroy PVE for to many reasons to list honestly.  And like others have said there are plenty of new people joining servers daily and all you see in global is can someone give me this can someone craft me that can someone give me dino's because im only level 10 what ever the case may be. 

Or one of my personal favorites is all the new people that come over to Rag just to get Wyvren eggs on a Pteranodon or Griffon and don't kill the wyvrens to reset the nests in the scar. Or just take the ice eggs and don't kill them so no new eggs spawn. So its up to the regular players to find and kill them to reset the nests I only bring this up because you want to play on RAG. Honestly when rag is your main server and you deal with people that do that sort of thing it messes it up for the entire server and it gets old quick. 

Like someone else had said this is by your own doing by starting in legacy if you did the research you claim you would of known that they have been shutting down legacy servers for well over a year now. So during the time you say you started they had just put out a bunch of new servers you could of had no problem starting out on. 

To sum up pillars and this cant be STRESSED ENOUGH they are there for the most part to protect dino spawns and resources, and for the rest of them its to offer distance from undesirable players that like to either grief players or kite stuff to others bases. Like others have said new players don't understand any of this all they see and understand is OMG this map is pillared every square inch I cant build.

You sound like most of the new people that want "play on Rag" but all they do is slap down a building so you can come onto Ragnarok and get wyvern eggs without regard to anything else .  Weather or not you intend to play on Rag as your main server, you want to be able to put down a building exactly where you want it despite the fact that others play on the server every day and put down pillars for many reasons.  Regular Rag players are quite frankly tired of the wyvern griefer's that ruin a rag server by stealing wyvern eggs without regard to killing the wyvern's or messing up the spawns or kiting them to others bases, or by building in a spot you deem the perfect spot weather its on resources or dino spawns just so you have a base to operate out of to get your eggs.

You can gather your building parts out of stone or metal save them up on a boat until you find a area but again it sounds like all you want is to be able to log onto a server spawn in around blue Obelisk like every other new player and slap up a building,  it just doesn't work that way. 

As you may have noticed you have replied to the wrong person or at least the forum shows me that you have.

I would point out that you two are talking past one another. The OP is claiming that the system wildcard has erected is being abused. You are responding that the system serves a useful and worthwhile purpose.

Both of these things are true and both of you are correct.

15 hours ago, CowBoyKillers said:

Como han dicho otros, realmente no suena como si hubieras mirado a tu alrededor, suena más como si quisieras construir en un área en particular y estar dispuesto a hacerlo. Poner una regla en pilares, como muchos otros han dicho, destruiría realmente el PVE por muchas razones para enumerarlo honestamente. Y como han dicho otros, hay muchas personas nuevas que se unen a los servidores a diario y todo lo que se ve en el mundo es si alguien me puede dar esto, alguien me puede diseñar, alguien puede darme dinosaurios porque solo estoy en el nivel 10, cualquiera que sea el caso. 

O uno de mis favoritos personales es todas las personas nuevas que vienen a Rag solo para obtener los huevos de Wyvren en un Pteranodon o Griffon y no matan a los Wyvrens para restablecer los nidos en la cicatriz. O simplemente tome los huevos de hielo y no los mate para que no aparezcan nuevos huevos. Así que depende de los jugadores normales encontrarlos y matarlos para restablecer los nidos. Solo menciono esto porque quieres jugar en RAG. Honestamente, cuando rag es tu servidor principal y tratas con personas que hacen ese tipo de cosas, las desordenan para todo el servidor y se vuelven viejas rápidamente. 

Como alguien más dijo, esto es por su propia iniciativa comenzando en legacy si realizó la investigación que afirma que sabría que han estado cerrando servidores heredados durante más de un año. Así que durante el tiempo que dices que empezaste, acababan de poner un montón de nuevos servidores con los que no habías tenido ningún problema. 

Para resumir los pilares y esto no puede ser ESFUZADO SUFICIENTE, están allí en su mayor parte para proteger los engendros y los recursos de dinosaurios , y para el resto de ellos es ofrecer distancia de jugadores indeseables que gustan de jugadores de duelo o de cometas para otras bases. Como otros han dicho, los nuevos jugadores no entienden nada de esto, todo lo que ven y entienden es OMG. Este mapa se apila cada centímetro cuadrado que no puedo construir.

Suena como la mayoría de las nuevas personas que quieren "jugar en Rag", pero todo lo que hacen es derribar un edificio para que puedas entrar en Ragnarok y obtener huevos de Wyvern sin tener en cuenta nada más. Si quiere o no jugar en Rag como su servidor principal, quiere poder colocar un edificio exactamente donde lo desee a pesar de que otros juegan en el servidor todos los días y dejar pilares por muchas razones. Los jugadores regulares de Rag están francamente cansados de los wievern griefer's que arruinan un servidor de rag por robar huevos de wyvern sin tener en cuenta matar el de wyvern o arruinar los engendros o citarlos a otras bases, o al construir en un lugar que considere el clima perfecto. está en recursos o dino genera solo para que tengas una base para operar y obtener tus huevos.

Puedes reunir las partes de tu edificio de piedra o metal, guárdalas en un bote hasta que encuentres un área, pero de nuevo parece que todo lo que quieres es poder iniciar sesión en un servidor generado como el Obelisco azul como cualquier otro jugador nuevo. abofetear un edificio, simplemente no funciona de esa manera. 

You are indirectly naming me as a beggar, I think you didn't understand the original post, I don't want to be given anything because for something is the game, to learn, and apart you talk to me about wyverns and ragnarok, in short, you talk to me about 1 million kilometers when I only have a few centimeters in Ark.

2 hours ago, Oldster said:

Incidentally I disagree with your claim that WC cannot force niceness. Games routinely DO precisely that, typically by designing systems such that individual actors are motivated to help rather than hinder, and "bad apples" are isolated and countered. This is quite basic system design and is present in all spheres of life. Game Theory being the underlyling mechanism

Closing down the world to enforce niceness would be the opposite of open world game.

There could be instances for player housing. Or predetermined lots for player housing like in mmos. Both would be very limiting.

Archived