Veteran players take over servers, new players suffer

gabogs

3 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Puede transferir caracteres, cosas y dinosaurios en modo de un solo jugador al igual que en servidores agrupados. Pero es tu elección donde juegas. Parece que escogiste el legado. Que te diviertas.

You are not understanding what I want to say, and I see that you did not understand the post either, I since I created the post clarify that I'm in legacy, which in fact is the reason for the post, I know that one day they will close my server and lose everything, you definitely did not understand, thanks anyway.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, ishootpaint said:

Jeez, where to even start.

Your coming to a cluster over two years late and expect to find plenty of room? Being between a "sword and a wall" is your own doing by not starting on non legacy servers when you had the chance. My tribe walked away from over a year of work and it was the right decision. After the second great migration You should have got the message. Even if they are never fully deleted, expect to move a few more times.

I was thinking about putting up a forum post letting legacy players know we are willing to help them relocate and find land and maybe a tame or two. But honestly with the general attitude of people I have a hard time helping people that have refused to help themselves.

And before you say im one of the people that has half the map pillared, we only own 1-2% of the landmass on our main server with the largest base. I do feel your plight but until you realize a series of poor decisions is why your in this position, theres nothing anyone can or will do to help. You didn't want to lose work, i get it. It broke my heart to say goodbye to my favorite spino when i had to leave her for the new cluster. I really do hope you find a new home and best if luck!

My $0.02 as usual and hopfully i didnt come across too brash but somethings need to be said even if they hurt.

And new shiney out of the box players?????

18 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

And new shiney out of the box players?????

All of us on official were "new shiney" players at some point. And we are still here because some people like me prefer difficulty and obstacles to overcome. Just like in real life, you better yourself and rise up when there is an obstacle. 

One of my favorite quotes is "The strong will stand while the weak fall by the wayside."

Now im not calling people weak that dont have a taste for official. i get that some people prefer a more relaxed stress free play session and thats what SP and unofficial are for. Official is and always has been targeted at people that like to play like i do. No one cluster is the right one for everyone, but eveyone can find somthing thats inline with their preferences with all the choices we have.

Theres a game called dark souls that I would like to enjoy but im terrible at it lol. Ive never once been to their forums and posted how their game is too hard and new people maybe turned off to its learning curb and difficulty.

Just my $0.02 as usual

6 minutes ago, ishootpaint said:

All of us on official were "new shiney" players at some point. And we are still here because some people like me prefer difficulty and obstacles to overcome. Just like in real life, you better yourself and rise up when there is an obstacle. 

One of my favorite quotes is "The strong will stand while the weak fall by the wayside."

Now im not calling people weak that dont have a taste for official. i get that some people prefer a more relaxed stress free play session and thats what SP and unofficial are for. Official is and always has been targeted at people that like to play like i do. No one cluster is the right one for everyone, but eveyone can find somthing thats inline with their preferences with all the choices we have.

Theres a game called dark souls that I would like to enjoy but im terrible at it lol. Ive never once been to their forums and posted how their game is too hard and new people maybe turned off to its learning curb and difficulty.

Just my $0.02 as usual

Isn't Official PVE for those who dont like the competition as well? Seems a valid point overall, that pillaring directly contradicts the point of PVE, if not the rules.

2 minutes ago, Oldster said:

Isn't Official PVE for those who dont like the competition as well? Seems a valid point overall, that pillaring directly contradicts the point of PVE, if not the rules.

Pillaring by itself isn't against the rules. There are many legitimate reasons to pillar. PvE can be much more passive aggressive than outright PvP. Anytime there are real humans competing for land and things (dinos/stuff), there will be competition. 

1 minute ago, Oldster said:

I do play pve. Honestly if Im gonna play pvp im gonna play arma 3, escape from tarkov, rising storm etc..... And atlas lol.

Pillaring is not againt the rules unless excessive or to troll/harass. This horse has been beat to death a hundred times. If they bother you thay much try unnoffical.... God, im turning into Aylana :P

1 minute ago, ishootpaint said:

If they bother you thay much try unnoffical.... God, im turning into Aylana :P

I personally just play single player now. Lifes too busy for a persistent server for me. But unofficial can be awesome.

Everyone should play what make them happy or where they have fun or get properly challenged.

57 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Pillaring by itself isn't against the rules. There are many legitimate reasons to pillar. PvE can be much more passive aggressive than outright PvP. Anytime there are real humans competing for land and things (dinos/stuff), there will be competition. 

That's my point, pillaring is an example of allowed competition sneaking into an arena where it isn't generally welcome.

My overall claim is that PVE is where folks go who dont enjoy said competition, thus creating the backlash we see in this thread about unwelcome PVP elements.

I could certainly be wrong, and WC could be serving a population of gamers I missed who enjoy such indirect competition.

1 hour ago, ishootpaint said:

I do play pve. Honestly if Im gonna play pvp im gonna play arma 3, escape from tarkov, rising storm etc..... And atlas lol.

Pillaring is not againt the rules unless excessive or to troll/harass. This horse has been beat to death a hundred times. If they bother you thay much try unnoffical.... God, im turning into Aylana :P

Same here, I'd play Halo for PVP. Prefer fighting with reflexes not wits.

I play on a personal server alone so all the pillaring is my own ;)

13 minutes ago, Oldster said:

That's my point, pillaring is an example of allowed competition sneaking into an arena where it isn't generally welcome.

My overall claim is that PVE is where folks go who dont enjoy said competition, thus creating the backlash we see in this thread about unwelcome PVP elements.

I could certainly be wrong, and WC could be serving a population of gamers I missed who enjoy such indirect competition.

Pillaring is the PvE meta that developed to protect land claim and also protect resource and spawn areas.

Imagine if WC made pillars block resources and spawns. Maps would lose whole resources and dino species. This would be an even bigger problem.

WC cannot force PvE players to be nice to each other. Communities can choose to be cooperative but it only take 1 bad apple.

2 hours ago, Oldster said:

I love how this is a perfect reflection of real life. Humans instinctively seize as much and far more than they need and then are surprised when others object.

"You mean owning 100 acres and building a house 3x larger than I'll ever need somehow affects others? Golly!"

I don't see the point of this comment or how it's even relevant. 

2 hours ago, Oldster said:

I love how this is a perfect reflection of real life. Humans instinctively seize as much and far more than they need...

If you look at homosapians in their natural habitat like the ones in the amazon and remote pacific islands you would realize the complete opposite is true. Humans in our most basic levels of society prefer to live in harmony with nature and some dont even have a concept of owning land. Its more societal than natural of how it manifests itself in modern humans.

Competition is what drives humans and when you live in a primitive environment your competing just to stay alive which doesnt leave much free time for conquest. And that competition with nature has conditioned us to get as much as we can when we can. Once people have plenty of resources and stable day to day life that competition shifts, especially when it's the "others" your competing with. If you dont take it when you have the chance, the others will. 

Its not somthing that can be changed. It is ingrained in our DNA thanks to natural selection and how we evolved. It isn't instict to take more than we need, but competition that drives us to do it living as natural beings in a more and more "artificial" world. Its more of a byproduct than a direct impulse.

My $0.02

4 hours ago, Oldster said:

I love how this is a perfect reflection of real life. Humans instinctively seize as much and far more than they need and then are surprised when others object.

"You mean owning 100 acres and building a house 3x larger than I'll ever need somehow affects others? Golly!"

I say this exact thing and everyone’s saying to me “It’s their choice! ChOicE!!! How dare you be so jUdGmEntAL omg i hate your grotesque (lol) and toxic attitude!”

6 minutes ago, MackTheKnife said:

Even the cost of other people’s expense and ruining the fun experience for them? The only only way you can consciously defend these actions is if you’re doing it yourself..

I play single player mode. 

Open world survival games allow players to interact either in a positive way or negative way. 

Like others have said it really doesn't sound like you have looked around, sounds more like you want to build in a particular area and are set on doing so. Putting a rule on pillars like many others have said would really destroy PVE for to many reasons to list honestly.  And like others have said there are plenty of new people joining servers daily and all you see in global is can someone give me this can someone craft me that can someone give me dino's because im only level 10 what ever the case may be. 

Or one of my personal favorites is all the new people that come over to Rag just to get Wyvren eggs on a Pteranodon or Griffon and don't kill the wyvrens to reset the nests in the scar. Or just take the ice eggs and don't kill them so no new eggs spawn. So its up to the regular players to find and kill them to reset the nests I only bring this up because you want to play on RAG. Honestly when rag is your main server and you deal with people that do that sort of thing it messes it up for the entire server and it gets old quick. 

Like someone else had said this is by your own doing by starting in legacy if you did the research you claim you would of known that they have been shutting down legacy servers for well over a year now. So during the time you say you started they had just put out a bunch of new servers you could of had no problem starting out on. 

To sum up pillars and this cant be STRESSED ENOUGH they are there for the most part to protect dino spawns and resources, and for the rest of them its to offer distance from undesirable players that like to either grief players or kite stuff to others bases. Like others have said new players don't understand any of this all they see and understand is OMG this map is pillared every square inch I cant build.

You sound like most of the new people that want "play on Rag" but all they do is slap down a building so you can come onto Ragnarok and get wyvern eggs without regard to anything else .  Weather or not you intend to play on Rag as your main server, you want to be able to put down a building exactly where you want it despite the fact that others play on the server every day and put down pillars for many reasons.  Regular Rag players are quite frankly tired of the wyvern griefer's that ruin a rag server by stealing wyvern eggs without regard to killing the wyvern's or messing up the spawns or kiting them to others bases, or by building in a spot you deem the perfect spot weather its on resources or dino spawns just so you have a base to operate out of to get your eggs.

You can gather your building parts out of stone or metal save them up on a boat until you find a area but again it sounds like all you want is to be able to log onto a server spawn in around blue Obelisk like every other new player and slap up a building,  it just doesn't work that way. 

One thing to keep in mind about Legacy servers--with the next batch of them scheduled for shutdown in just a few days you're also now competing with players from those servers who are looking to move. I'm sure with each wave of shutdowns, some players quit, some move to other Legacy servers, and some finally make the transition off of Legacy.

One thing I usually do on a new server, Official or otherwise, is to eschew claiming territory entirely at first. Building and living off a raft is fairly easy to do. You don't really need that much in the beginning anyways, and you can use it to prefab structures to build a base when you actually do find somewhere to set up. I've never not found success using this method. The only downside is it limits what you can have for tames, but so does not having a permanent base...

Archived