Ark new content for 10k+ hour gamers suggestions

CamCam123

Suggestion

Ark has been over the last 3 years+ on the top 20 most played game list in steam. Most importantly is not only the amount of player but the amount of hours each player puts on the game. Needles to say, even though Ark is not a perfect game by any means, it does mean they are doing something right. 

However, the question is,"what does this mean for the future?" 

Ark devs are in a bit of a predicament at the moment as Atlas is suffering a massive loss of players daily thanks to dividing what was meant for Ark into another game. From 50k players playing Atlas daily is now down to 4k. On the other side Ark has maintained about 30k+ players daily over the past three years which is both a lesson in "this is what happens when you try to be greedy and a lesson on this is what happens when you create something great all in one drink".

Ark's future seems bright and that is thanks to the massive amount of content they have developed for this single platform. From building, taming, and the simple yet elegant character progression. Yet, we need something new soon.

Ark is not in any trouble by any means of losing its audience. But there is clearly something missing. And that is motivation for high leveled up players. 

After 100 hours you will find your self with a level 100+ character asking your self, "...and what is next?" you will quickly realize that there is nothing keeping you playing other than breeding and friends. And that is if your friends play as often as you. 

Here are some suggestions about what to add to keep high leveled up players interested:

1. new cave on existing maps with rewards at the end of the caves (New items).

2. Add new DLC that creates a new way to play ark. Stay away from pvp/pve mentality and think maybe more quest oriented or objective oriented. 

3. Play with ideas such as having new economy system or markets where players can sell and buy things from ingame vendors.

4. Bring an actual boat system to ark.

5. New bosses. We need more bosses within the island that are more challenging. Perhaps some areas such as "Carno island" should have things roaming that are far more dangerous than a carno or a rex. And let it be more aggressive. And dont forget to give a nice reward after killing it. :3

6. Make element transferable. (i am still to this day amazed how is that not a thing).

7. New tools would be nice. Landscaping tools...many sandboxes have terrain tools...why not this one?

8. MAil system within players...this was already shown in one mod already...why is this not a thing yet?

9. New tek tier would be nice. a more expensive tek tier but that consumes less element. Would  help players in both pvp and pve keep a faster action pace.

10. Dinos need special abilities...after 1000+ mutation dinos dont change much. Perhaps, we need a new level of mutation. Maybe an extra skill or a random change in size...

These are some of my ideas...what are yours? XD 

Here is the most played steam games in case you are looking to see what are the most populated steam games around.

https://steamcharts.com/top

18 replies to this server topic

@CamCam123 Unlike PC, everything that is deemed free DLC, such as The Center, Ragnarok, and Primitive Plus, aren’t separate downloads and are included in the core game. All in all, on Xbox the game is currently 87GB.

For me, the game being too big is not a size issue but more of a memory issue. I have the Xbox One X and I still have issues but nothing like the people on the standard console versions, who are left to crash out constantly. Imagine having a map you are forced to download because it’s included in the core game but can’t play properly due to memory leaks, that’s Ragnarok for many console players.

I’d love to see more content, but anything official must be able to run on all platforms so that is the challenge the devs face, especially around memory.

20 hours ago, BertNoobians said:

after playing 11k hours all i can make up is this list:

1. fix bugs
2. fix bugs
3. fix bugs
4. fix bugs
5. fix bugs
6. fix bugs
7. fix bugs
8. fix bugs
9. fix bugs
10. fix bugs

12 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

@CamCam123 Unlike PC, everything that is deemed free DLC, such as The Center, Ragnarok, and Primitive Plus, aren’t separate downloads and are included in the core game. All in all, on Xbox the game is currently 87GB.

For me, the game being too big is not a size issue but more of a memory issue. I have the Xbox One X and I still have issues but nothing like the people on the standard console versions, who are left to crash out constantly. Imagine having a map you are forced to download because it’s included in the core game but can’t play properly due to memory leaks, that’s Ragnarok for many console players.

I’d love to see more content, but anything official must be able to run on all platforms so that is the challenge the devs face, especially around memory.

There's two things that I think that should be noted here. All the platforms have had some pretty annoying bugs. It depends on the platform and where you're playing, but some are small, others are visual bugs, and others are flat out game breaking. Mainly they should focus on trying to get every platform as well optimized and as polished and has the least amount of bugs as possible, so not only old players who quit due to the bugs come back but also then, so they can focus on adding new content and the game is generally more smooth and fun to play... Sadly advice like this never gets around to Wildcard.

14 hours ago, Jemcrystal said:

Err um sorry gonna devil's advocate.  Steam forum gets littered with "is this game really this big" posts.  I am guessing that is why they took Ark's Ocean dlc and ran away and make a different game with it called Atlas.  Devs (in general) did not abandon Ark.  They have been fixing.  Some things just cannot.  Every 3dFancy MMORPG faces lag.  I have to ask,

How much bigger do you want Ark to get?  

ESO promise their players they would release a dlc every xx amount of months and Elder Scrolls is huge.  Same problem.  People complain when your game gets to big.  They don't want to wait on the download or make room.  

Then there is xbox which flat out didn't come with enough room.  Saving to cloud when MS crashes every weekend is junk.  Only running one game at a time when you got an xbone to entertain guests is junk.  

How big is a game allowed to get if you sell thru consoles?

To be fair, Ark is big...and that is what makes it special. But why put a big "limit" on it. I think that is a problem. I mean, also, saying is big...is a bit of a weird argument. Ark maps are not that big for the lack detail it has(compared to games it size like skyrim or pretty much any Rpg of large magnitude). Look at games like "The division"(from activision) which has amazing detail and is just as big as "the island" both vertically and horizontally speaking.  Also, this game is 130 gigabites "completed" Atlas is 130 unfinished....so i really don't know what kind of argument are you trying to make.

I play on PC, so i cant speak for Xbox or playstation. However, i know you guys from consoles are having issues with rendering, lag, and connection. To be honest, this game is definetely  not meant for consoles. You need a god dam good computer to run this massive game. Not exaggerating! this game is unpolished even on pc but getting better by the year as they polish it with every update.  

But the games does have a cap on fun. Once you kill all bosses (which there are few), finish all AScention (which there is only 2), and get to level 130 the game starts dying.

Breeding is fun...but that is until you get things good enough to do all bosses alone. (Remember i am speaking my entire argument base in official gameplay)

Bosses do not take any type of strategy to kill...you just need hordes of your best RExes/theris/reapers to get to all bosses.

And last but not least, Ascending is easy...too easy...and not even that epic. ANd if i can be honest the rewards for bosses and Ascention are super lame...LAME lol

But i dont want to sound like i am throwing shade on ark. In fact, it is a great game.

(FOR OFFICIAL PLAYING)

PROS:

Great content. 

Fun character progression.

Maps are big.

CONS:

Easy to level up within a week to level 100.

Breeding is takes a long time and is painful. (Takes 23 hours on some dinos to hand feed...who that hell has that time...ARK PLAYERS lol [sidenote: we have no real life when breeding lol]).

Gathering resources is not fun.

Asc or killing bosses is not rewarding. Also, not even worth the risk. loot suxxxx

Lack of making each character stand out. We all look the same....on the most part. Not that many different sets of armors or cool skins to costumize our characters.

In the end, it is all for nothing... it is sad when you get everything done...and you are like...ok...i will be back in a month. And all you do is render your base for weeks or months because there is nothing to do after month of playing.... (i can say that because i have started from 0 multiple times and once you know how to get everything great quick...the fun is gone).

How big is this game on consoles...map wise...is the same. Just runs a lot better. But we do have a steam mod market....for single player or for those that hosts servers. And it is amazing what they have...however, none of that stuff...is part of our official gameplay too...which is sad. We do get to explore many maps that are on the steam mod market...but playing this game solo is depressing lol

proof that i got 10k hours too <<<<<<
I have to admit, as an original player, at the start there were many time exploits that requiered the pc to be on all the time...and i think halve of those hours were a computer being on ark on while that did its "thing" lol

As i think many of those OG players did....who remembers the water breeding trick?!! am i right?!  lol

jokes aside, now that most of those things are fix, ark requires that players have no life on official...which sux lol
2EBA1C0D6C6E3B976ADE1A1D81FB7F81A5D4B0BF

13 hours ago, CamCam123 said:

Ark has been over the last 3 years+ on the top 20 most played game list in steam. Most importantly is not only the amount of player but the amount of hours each player puts on the game. Needles to say, even though Ark is not a perfect game by any means, it does mean they are doing something right. 

However, the question is,"what does this mean for the future?" 

Ark devs are in a bit of a predicament at the moment as Atlas is suffering a massive loss of players daily thanks to dividing what was meant for Ark into another game. From 50k players playing Atlas daily is now down to 4k. On the other side Ark has maintained about 30k+ players daily over the past three years which is both a lesson in "this is what happens when you try to be greedy and a lesson on this is what happens when you create something great all in one drink".

Ark's future seems bright and that is thanks to the massive amount of content they have developed for this single platform. From building, taming, and the simple yet elegant character progression. Yet, we need something new soon.

Ark is not in any trouble by any means of losing its audience. But there is clearly something missing. And that is motivation for high leveled up players. 

After 100 hours you will find your self with a level 100+ character asking your self, "...and what is next?" you will quickly realize that there is nothing keeping you playing other than breeding and friends. And that is if your friends play as often as you. 

Here are some suggestions about what to add to keep high leveled up players interested:

2. Add new DLC that creates a new way to play ark. Stay away from pvp/pve mentality and think maybe more quest oriented or objective oriented. 

3. Play with ideas such as having new economy system or markets where players can sell and buy things from ingame vendors.

5. New bosses. We need more bosses within the island that are more challenging. Perhaps some areas such as "Carno island" should have things roaming that are far more dangerous than a carno or a rex. And let it be more aggressive. And dont forget to give a nice reward after killing it. :3

6. Make element transferable. (i am still to this day amazed how is that not a thing).

7. New tools would be nice. Landscaping tools...many sandboxes have terrain tools...why not this one?

8. MAil system within players...this was already shown in one mod already...why is this not a thing yet?

9. New tek tier would be nice. a more expensive tek tier but that consumes less element. Would  help players in both pvp and pve keep a faster action pace.

10. Dinos need special abilities...after 1000+ mutation dinos dont change much. Perhaps, we need a new level of mutation. Maybe an extra skill or a random change in size...

These are some of my ideas...what are yours? XD 

Here is the most played steam games in case you are looking to see what are the most populated steam games around.

https://steamcharts.com/top

I really like most of your ideas, and I agree that some more love and focus on ark would be really well received, there is still so much untapped potential in this game, I really hope the devs realize this instead of just trying to chase new money. Don't forget your existing customers, this is a mistake that Activision and many others are seriously suffering from now, chasing new markets and new money that lead to unsuccessful ventures and in doing so, disconnecting from their already built up and established customer base who then feel kind of left in the dust and move onto other games and titles. Hopefully WC realize this before too late. 

I will say the only suggestion of yours I didnt like was to add more tek tier, I think too many players feel mixed when it comes to tek, majority of the player base never even get to play around with tek, just alphas and much bigger tribes, There are also a decent amount of players that really don't like tek and feel that delving into the realm of tek was a big mistake for a game like ark. I can see where these players are coming from, especially considering any tek developments are things that only certain players are going to see and play around with, wouldnt it make more sense to fill out the earlier more foundation stages rather than just putting more content into the top end game stage, why make the game top heavy? I am a much bigger fan of creating complexity horizontally rather than vertically. Add content that most players are going to get access to and be able to play around with, that is what I think is really missing from the game, There is so much they could add to the early and mid stages of player progression that would have a much bigger net positive impact on the player base than adding more tek would ever do. Thats just how I feel about it. 

I will say this. 10k hours is almost 5 years of a standard 40 hour work week. Maybe because I'm not on PC but I've never played another game that has given me that much content to sink myself into over a 4 year period. 

I bought in EA and then got the season pass on top of it and with how much I played this game, it was easily worth every penny.

If you got that much time out of it, you got your money's worth even at full price. Expecting additional content after the story is complete seems ungrateful even if you're willing to pay. Games don't last forever and if you have reached that point of nothing else to keep you entertained do like I did. Give your stuff to allies (or let it decay) and move on to the next thing that will occupy your time.

I would be intetested in what other games you have got 10000 hours out of. I'm looking for something new after I have my fill of AC: Odyssey and GoW.

Post each of these suggestions (the more fleshed out ones) into their own post in the game suggestion forum so people can have a chance to vote on them. 

With enough votes they may get the Devs attention.

I'd make each suggestion its own topic so that if voter a likes 1 and 3 but not the rest, 1 and 3 will at least get up votes.

Err um sorry gonna devil's advocate.  Steam forum gets littered with "is this game really this big" posts.  I am guessing that is why they took Ark's Ocean dlc and ran away and make a different game with it called Atlas.  Devs (in general) did not abandon Ark.  They have been fixing.  Some things just cannot.  Every 3dFancy MMORPG faces lag.  I have to ask,

How much bigger do you want Ark to get?  

ESO promise their players they would release a dlc every xx amount of months and Elder Scrolls is huge.  Same problem.  People complain when your game gets to big.  They don't want to wait on the download or make room.  

Then there is xbox which flat out didn't come with enough room.  Saving to cloud when MS crashes every weekend is junk.  Only running one game at a time when you got an xbone to entertain guests is junk.  

How big is a game allowed to get if you sell thru consoles?

18 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

I will say this. 10k hours is almost 5 years of a standard 40 hour work week. Maybe because I'm not on PC but I've never played another game that has given me that much content to sink myself into over a 4 year period. 

I bought in EA and then got the season pass on top of it and with how much I played this game, it was easily worth every penny.

If you got that much time out of it, you got your money's worth even at full price. Expecting additional content after the story is complete seems ungrateful even if you're willing to pay. Games don't last forever and if you have reached that point of nothing else to keep you entertained do like I did. Give your stuff to allies (or let it decay) and move on to the next thing that will occupy your time.

I would be intetested in what other games you have got 10000 hours out of. I'm looking for something new after I have my fill of AC: Odyssey and GoW.

To be honest, perhaps the fact that you didn't play ark from the early days might make you misrepresent the data on hours. There were many exploits in which if you left the pc running doing a task you would not had to actually stay playing necessarily (physically).

Ark is a great game, no one said anything against that.

And yes, i haven't played ark in some time...looking for another game where you can do a whole life experience (in-game) from building to adventures. I tried Atlas but needless to say is a cheap copy of ark at the moment. Also, super buggy. I want it to give a chance but...is like going back in time when ark was just starting.

If you have any game to recommend that would be nice XD I am constantly looking for something to waste my next 10k hours...unless Ark makes content for advance players...someday lol

But i would be careful saying to other players who have done 10k hours in ark calling them ungrateful. I think you don't understand what these people have gone through in ark PC. We have been Free testers, we have been free Mod developers (a lot of us...not me perse), and we have been free advertising. Asking to make content for players with 10k hours doesn't make anyone ungrateful. Is exactly the opposite. We want to keep playing this game...in official. Private servers are a pain sometimes with all rules and with people who can actually cheat all the time with commands...reason i don't play in unofficial servers. 

19 hours ago, Level4Gaming said:

There's two things that I think that should be noted here. All the platforms have had some pretty annoying bugs. It depends on the platform and where you're playing, but some are small, others are visual bugs, and others are flat out game breaking. Mainly they should focus on trying to get every platform as well optimized and as polished and has the least amount of bugs as possible, so not only old players who quit due to the bugs come back but also then, so they can focus on adding new content and the game is generally more smooth and fun to play... Sadly advice like this never gets around to Wildcard.

i can understand your point. playing ark in consoles must be what it was for us about 2 years ago. I think ark will never be able to polish console playing because of the size of this darn game lol For us in pc with all the DLC and all the fixes is like 140 gb...INSANE. Plus, consoles are very limited on space, hardware, and software. So ark might never be as fun to play on consoles as it is on pc. Needless to say, ark is still very buggy for us in PC. So i can only imagine in console gaming...harsh. 

Also, for us in pc they dont have to ask microsoft for persmision or follow update rules. On pc they have a whole process about that which sux.

All i can say is, be very patient. I can say for you guys might be on the next generation of consoles where ark will play like for us on PC.

On 6/4/2019 at 11:19 AM, CamCam123 said:

I don't have 10k hours, but I'll give an opinion of the points, though I do agree with @yekrucifixion187 that smaller ideas tend to gain more traction with the dev team, which is the most important thing, far more important than upvotes.  Some of the most popular suggestions have so many upvotes, but will never, ever, ever, ever happen.  We as a community need to support ideas that the ARK dev team can accomplish while making new content, something they are obviously interested in doing.

That said:

1:  Redesigning existing maps.  Unlikely, and difficult for the team to do.

2:  ARK isn't so one-dimensional that it needs a quest/objective/goal system.  Any game begins to become monotonous in some way after 10k (ten thousand) hours of playtime!

3:  Tamecaps being what they are, trading is an issue in the game.  Storage bases exist, cryopods or not.  Making trading more accessible would only worsen a big, BIG problem with the game for the PvE side.  And most PvP trading is done with only allies, so I'm not sure how that dynamic would shift.

4:  Revamping rafts?  Or ATLAS boats?  The former could be accomplished.  The latter would almost certainly never happen I feel, because of ATLAS.

5:  Roaming boss element would just be used for PvE griefing for as long as they can be, until Wildcard finds a way to stop it (like tethering wild Titans on Extinction "back to the center of the Arena").

6:  I PERSONALLY would not mind this.  It is however highly unlikely.

7:  I'm not sure the nightmarish bloodsoaked hellscape this would be, to allow any beach Bob to eventually have the power to dynamically reshape and alter the terrain.  I don't even know if it is possible with UE4.

8:  I don't like this idea personally.  We have friends lists, PSN/xBox Live/Steam, and can friend up and chat that way.  Giving/getting items can be done by going to bases.  This would add infrastructure to the game that might adversely affect performance.  Not to mention, it would be relentlessly assaulted in attempts to find some way to exploit it.

9:  I feel like currently, Tek Tier is in a decent place.  That said, more specific ideas about this one might make it a neat idea.

10:  Size would be really cool.  If each dino was a slightly differing size, it would make it a tad more interesting.

Archived