Ark Population Highs & Lows

Jemcrystal

Player pop seems low?  I have no statistics only in game observation. 

Tho events, sales, and dlc releases are nice the pop extremes are not.  To many people joining all at once and servers crash.  Everyone leaves calling the game broke.  Except those who can play at 3am and know it's server issues not a bork game.  Peeps stay on servers if willing to put up with THE PAUSE every 15 minutes as the server saves.  No events for over a week and we get lulls with no newbies to entertain us by throwing them a free berry or two.  I have no insights in how extreme pop could be fixed.  I guess box sales models are subject to pop extremes.

They need something new. I've done everything there is to do in ARK. I love the game, and I want to, want to play. I just don't right now. So I've quit after 4000+ hours. 

A new map, a new season pass, new creatures would bring me back as I believe it would a lot of people. Server resets would also bring me back but I know that's wildly unpopular. 

You can only slap color on the same dinos so many times and make them more interesting. 

8 hours ago, Jemcrystal said:

Player pop seems low?  I have no statistics only in game observation. 

Tho events, sales, and dlc releases are nice the pop extremes are not.  To many people joining all at once and servers crash.  Everyone leaves calling the game broke.  Except those who can play at 3am and know it's server issues not a bork game.  Peeps stay on servers if willing to put up with THE PAUSE every 15 minutes as the server saves.  No events for over a week and we get lulls with no newbies to entertain us by throwing them a free berry or two.  I have no insights in how extreme pop could be fixed.  I guess box sales models are subject to pop extremes.

Player population is low because PVE and PVP players actively shoo away new folk. Pillars to prevent any new people building as some seniority BS, “you can’t expect to be handed the best spots” lol ALL spots are taken and those that aren’t get blocked by trolls who want your area. 

PVP is just a simple matter of huge tribes wiping anything that moves. New players don’t have much choice. This whole “survival of the fittest” behavior drives everyone away. But Wildcard doesn’t give a flying frog about it because they already have everyone’s money from the beta..

Unofficial might be viable but on Xbox all are empty, or last 2 days max.. SP doesn’t count towards server player numbers.

Most likely it is server dependent. If you noticing lower pops on the servers you play, check out other servers as players may be moving to try out new servers, It happens often that servers die out and others all of a sudden spring to life. The Arkopcalypse server I play on is usually a good indicator for me as it pretty always is at high 60/70 players online in the first weeks of a wipe and then dies down into the 3rd week, itl wipe after the 4th week and pop goes back up. id imagine on servers that don't wipe that players which leave may not come back as they go and setup somewhere else. This is why I enjoy the monthly wipe as the pillar spam and general anti Bob behavior that seems to kill servers gets wiped away with each reset which encourages new players back at each reset.

I always found that most servers don't ever wipe to be a big problem for server pops and keeping away new players. Sure it's nice to want to be an alpha and never have your stuff wiped and to be the super power on a server forever, but eventually if new players feel they can never get going or develope to a point that they can compete with you, well lets just say you will end up being the alpha of a dead server where only your tribe is active on it... not as much fun. That is how you essentially turn a PVP server into a PVE server, by being too dominant and wiping all the bobs mercilessly without giving them a chance to build up. Noobs are the life blood of any server, when the flow of noobs stops, the server dies.

The noobs must flow.

Official servers need better retention, but new players are discouraged.

PvP servers really need a wipe cycle, not just the monthly Apocalypse servers. But like 2-3 months wiping servers that allow for 1 way access to the official servers. Especially the beginner servers, players shouldn't permanently setup here, they should be forced to move on.

PvE really needed its own game development which it did NOT receive. There needed to be limits on land hoarding, more designated resource/spawn/creature spawn/ no build areas. Better permissions and internal tribe protections to encourage tribes. Better community cooperation type functions, the ability to share dinos and all crafting stations. Lock in BP to crafting stations. PvE was basically an after thought and it shows.

Unofficial servers need more respect. There is a big dichotomy in the community. Everyone should choose to play where they are having fun. Not every community (official, unofficial, even SP) is right for everyone.

5 hours ago, HoboNation said:

Most likely it is server dependent. If you noticing lower pops on the servers you play, check out other servers as players may be moving to try out new servers, It happens often that servers die out and others all of a sudden spring to life. The Arkopcalypse server I play on is usually a good indicator for me as it pretty always is at high 60/70 players online in the first weeks of a wipe and then dies down into the 3rd week, itl wipe after the 4th week and pop goes back up. id imagine on servers that don't wipe that players which leave may not come back as they go and setup somewhere else. This is why I enjoy the monthly wipe as the pillar spam and general anti Bob behavior that seems to kill servers gets wiped away with each reset which encourages new players back at each reset.

I always found that most servers don't ever wipe to be a big problem for server pops and keeping away new players. Sure it's nice to want to be an alpha and never have your stuff wiped and to be the super power on a server forever, but eventually if new players feel they can never get going or develope to a point that they can compete with you, well lets just say you will end up being the alpha of a dead server where only your tribe is active on it... not as much fun. That is how you essentially turn a PVP server into a PVE server, by being too dominant and wiping all the bobs mercilessly without giving them a chance to build up. Noobs are the life blood of any server, when the flow of noobs stops, the server dies.

The noobs must flow.

In PVE the problem is that noobs dont flow, they just sit at the beach and bitch "everything is pillared off".  To be fair, there are a few that understand that the starting areas are pillared off and they have to move inland to find somewhere to build.  So what would you have done, I want a water base, guess what, it is going on the beach.  I don't want a noob showing up for a day and building just close enough that I cannot finish my water pen, so i'm going to pillar.

1 minute ago, BTH said:

In PVE the problem is that noobs dont flow, they just sit at the beach and bitch "everything is pillared off".  To be fair, there are a few that understand that the starting areas are pillared off and they have to move inland to find somewhere to build.  So what would you have done, I want a water base, guess what, it is going on the beach.  I don't want a noob showing up for a day and building just close enough that I cannot finish my water pen, so i'm going to pillar.

Thats fine I can completely understand that, But why then do players leave those pillars there even after they finished their build? And if the answer to this is "well you never finish building" well then I will say that it is a selfish practice. Sure reserve yourself a spot and build, but get to a point where you say you know what I'm good with this space and go be a good Samaritan and remove your pillars, also dont take a year to get to that point either.

5 minutes ago, BTH said:

This is exactly why PvE needed a land claim system. Pillaring was a player invented pseudo land claim system and super ugly.

I think a nice way to manage a monthly wipe (more likely much longer than that) would be to let people upload and save their tames (give more than 24 hrs, but can't remove until after wipe), maybe give them xxxx slots to store some items through the wipe, and let them keep their character/tribe. Otherwise, nobody is going to want to start on that server. Unless it's severely boosted, but then I know I wouldn't want to play on that server anyway. It's bad enough with official rates.

8 minutes ago, HoboNation said:

Thats fine I can completely understand that, But why then do players leave those pillars there even after they finished their build? And if the answer to this is "well you never finish building" well then I will say that it is a selfish practice. Sure reserve yourself a spot and build, but get to a point where you say you know what I'm good with this space and go be a good Samaritan and remove your pillars, also dont take a year to get to that point either.

I leave them there to scare off noobs that think because we are neighbors I should be mandated to help them...actually before the decay timers were removed, there was a large area behind my pillared land claim that became available.  Well, the noobs built and built and built and left their animals all over the place.  There were bases so small, they could not fit their tames into the base yard, so they just left them between themselves and the next builder, doing the same thing and this went on to the point that I could not walk a giga around on my meat runs.  So fine, free for all, should a noob be taming 3 bronto's when they still live in a thatch shack that has no yard?  Should I be pillaring, it is andbox game, maybe WC should be retiring legacy servers and opening new ones based on the amount of 'claimed land'?

3 minutes ago, judotoss said:

I think a nice way to manage a monthly wipe (more likely much longer than that) would be to let people upload and save their tames (give more than 24 hrs, but can't remove until after wipe), maybe give them xxxx slots to store some items through the wipe, and let them keep their character/tribe. Otherwise, nobody is going to want to start on that server. Unless it's severely boosted, but then I know I wouldn't want to play on that server anyway. It's bad enough with official rates.

Wipes are only needed on PvP, and really it's just fresh servers that are always requested.

15 hours ago, BTH said:

I leave them there to scare off noobs that think because we are neighbors I should be mandated to help them...actually before the decay timers were removed, there was a large area behind my pillared land claim that became available.  Well, the noobs built and built and built and left their animals all over the place.  There were bases so small, they could not fit their tames into the base yard, so they just left them between themselves and the next builder, doing the same thing and this went on to the point that I could not walk a giga around on my meat runs.  So fine, free for all, should a noob be taming 3 bronto's when they still live in a thatch shack that has no yard?  Should I be pillaring, it is andbox game, maybe WC should be retiring legacy servers and opening new ones based on the amount of 'claimed land'?

In all honesty this is one among many reasons why I prefer PVP. Besides the fact that I find it kind of boring unless I get to fight other players, I also don't like that one cant remove abandoned bases that are taking up space. Atleast the demo timer is back so structures decay again. Although like you said it's sandbox open world survival so you get to pillar and they get to be noobs and build shacks all over. I mean I don't get why PvE are concerned with having good pops on their servers, I would imagine ppl who play PvE prefer low player pops, as higher pop just means higher building spam and less space as you can't really get anything from other players. PvE is like coop single player, guess you can trade with other players but you don't need a full server to do that, like 2 or 3 other tribes I would imagine is sufficient.

If I was to ever play PvE again I'm sure I would look for a server with low player pop, but I doubt I would play PvE again, just not my thing, I prefer the emotional rollercoaster of PVP that's where the excitement is at I reckon :P   

I'm thinking that a good way to bring people back would be something like a base defence, almost similar to the drops on extinction. Every few days there would be a timer/warning system. when the time runs out, your property gets attacked by currupted dinos. The larger your tribe the more dinos you should have to deal with. This works with both pvp and pve, there should also be dedicated dinos to go after pillars. Yes it would be a challenge, but a welcome one. The more pillars you have the more frequently you should get attacked. I also agree that "noobs" need somewhere to build and it not get pillars all over the place. I personally think that pillars should only last a week then you can't build there anymore for another week. So if you don't get a base established in that time well it's on you. You can always try again next week.

12 minutes ago, Arkmylife said:

I'm thinking that a good way to bring people back would be something like a base defence, almost similar to the drops on extinction. Every few days there would be a timer/warning system. when the time runs out, your property gets attacked by currupted dinos. The larger your tribe the more dinos you should have to deal with. This works with both pvp and pve, there should also be dedicated dinos to go after pillars. Yes it would be a challenge, but a welcome one. The more pillars you have the more frequently you should get attacked. I also agree that "noobs" need somewhere to build and it not get pillars all over the place. I personally think that pillars should only last a week then you can't build there anymore for another week. So if you don't get a base established in that time well it's on you. You can always try again next week.

It's too late for a radical change like this for existing servers. Maybe a new game mode. What about ORP? If enabled on PvE, people would just avoid logging in during that time.

Archived