Save the PC No Taming Servers

fr15287

Hello.

I recently received information about how a large number of servers are to be removed due to having low populations. My best guess would be that it is related to the expenses of hosting servers in general, which I very well can understand.

What deeply saddened me however, was that the PC No Taming servers are among those that are to be removed. Yes, those servers have a very low population, but they are also filling a very unique niche. The other servers that will be merged or removed are essentially based on the same concept – taming. On the other hand, the No Taming servers provide a very different game to those players that enjoy them, such as myself. We have had many fun times overcoming the challenges originally meant for taming servers, and it has been one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

I could very well understand (and might even suggest) that the capacity on those servers was to be brought down to a dozen players per server or so. That would be very reasonable if you look at it. But I would also very much appreciate if there would be any way to save this small but unique little cluster of servers from simply being removed. There is nowhere where we can transfer to, but more importantly, as stated above; it's such a unique little place next to the normal servers and it would be a real shame to see it gone.

Thanks in advance

FR

EDIT: If any employee or developer from Wildcard was to red this thread, a few of us have wondered whether it would be possible to let us move our current characters to any new server. Since our whole cluster will be taken down, we have nowhere to migrate to, and with some of us having spent months getting our characters to where they are today, we would be disappointed to lose all that progress for nothing.

I figure for ther

15 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Would a new No Tame server on the new cluster appease you? Or want to continue on Legacy? Just curious.

Whilst I do figure a new No Tame server would be to prefer over having none, I see no reason for why the current ones couldn't just be kept as they are. As stated earlier, it would be a good idea to reduce the player limit on them though.

8 hours ago, d1nk said:

Would a new No Tame server on the new cluster appease you? Or want to continue on Legacy? Just curious.

They remove the no tame servers from the new cluster if i read that correctly, this is not legacy servers being shut down.

I have played no tame myself for a while and i really liked it. That mode is indeed unique and very cool, but it could use some care. Instead they just remove it now.... very sad. 

6 minutes ago, acudowski said:

no point for me to play ark ifd there is no such mod like this, many players come there to try this mode, some of them play, some leave, official serveres have only 1 mode as i can see (no taming mode) and they want to delete it .....  ;/ just make 3 severs ot his cluster form 6, but do not delete it.

You can just disable taming on your server?

there are more empty servers with no mods, why not to delete these? 

unofficial are unofficial, at this moment they do not exist (with this mod) , and  i have no money to create them , if something is moved to unofficial than it is possible that it can stop to exist.,usually more players play on officials (even with this mod) , players are afraid of unofficial because they can exist 1 mont, 2 months ... so no sense to play there, officials exist longer and no tame servers are long play.

1 minute ago, acudowski said:

unofficial are unofficial, at this moment they do not exist (with this mod) , and  i have no money to create them , if something is moved to unofficial than it is possible that it can stop to exist.,usually more players play on officials (even with this mod) , players are afraid of unofficial because they can exist 1 mont, 2 months ... so no sense to play there, officials exist longer and no tame servers are long play.

How many people play on notame servers? How big is your 'community'?

I just checked the EU PVP NOTek-NoTaming servers, they are pretty much dead looking at their stats:

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/ark/1754559 Most people online was 2 in last 7 days, most of the time it's either 0 or 1 at best...

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/ark/73212 Max players online last 7 days was 4, with it being 0-2 most of the time

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/ark/73149 Last 7 days the max players online here were 2, and that was only once, server was empty 90% of the time

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/ark/73118 Again, very few players

1 hour ago, acudowski said:

That's why it should be a community effort with transparency in backup save file location. No in the hands of any one person. Some host services allow community payments, so no person can just disappear with donations.

what i can say, i bought this game to play this mod, it was official mod,official server, (let's say you bought this game to play with dinos and suddenly they say - we delete servers - there will be no dinos) , and suddenly you say there will no be such a server, so  will you be honest and give me back money for deleting game which i bought to play? it doesn't matter that there aren't too many players on these servers, i bought this game to play on this server , there aren't any such servers with this mode which was legal and official.so i ask again will you be  honest and give me back money or not? 

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, acudowski said:

what i can say, i bought this game to play this mod, it was official mod,official server, (let's say you bought this game to play with dinos and suddenly they say - we delete servers - there will be no dinos) , and suddenly you say there will no be such a server, so  will you be honest and give me back money for deleting game which i bought to play? it doesn't matter that there aren't too many players on these servers, i bought this game to play on this server , there aren't any such servers with this mode which was legal and official.so i ask again will you be  honest and give me back money or not? 

You'll have to go to Steam for a refund, not WildCard.

2 hours ago, Oli4 said:

Why not move that small community to unofficial?

I got request to host a no-tame server with only your skills and the wild. However, in practice, barely anybody played it. I had that server up for more than half a year, and the traffic was abysmal. It was essentially burning electricity for no good reason and blocking a couple ports. I ended up rebuilding it as a no-tame server that you could bring your own dinosaurs into, and then setup custom dinosaurs to spawn from 4 different mods. And I even added a few more perks. But the reality is, still, nobody wants to play it.

You try and explain to Wildcard why they are spending cash on something barely anybody wants?

1 hour ago, Sphere said:

I got request to host a no-tame server with only your skills and the wild. However, in practice, barely anybody played it. I had that server up for more than half a year, and the traffic was abysmal. It was essentially burning electricity for no good reason and blocking a couple ports. I ended up rebuilding it as a no-tame server that you could bring your own dinosaurs into, and then setup custom dinosaurs to spawn from 4 different mods. And I even added a few more perks. But the reality is, still, nobody wants to play it.

You try and explain to Wildcard why they are spending cash on something barely anybody wants?

yep however they took money fot this,  traffic is not too big on this servers but there are still some players who like to play it, ( you wrote that you made your own server - everybody knows that people prefer to play on oficials - they are safer and independent from players) and only it. these players bought all dlc for this not only the island. Even we bought the last dlc which is not supported ;]. 

SO this was wildcard's mistake to make these servers, so if it was their mistake let them give money back - simple. it is not OK in my opinion selling something and later taking back. it is a fraud in my opinion

3 hours ago, Sphere said:

Don't have to explain it to me lol, I think that small/specific game modes should either be run temporarily or on unofficial

8 hours ago, Oli4 said:

Why not move that small community to unofficial?

In our case, it is not just about moving to an unofficial server. It's not just about that there is no taming, but also the fact that it's on an official server like that, and that we managed to overcome the challenges on there. A private, unofficial server would only feel like a "game", if you see the distinction I'm trying to make.

Among other things, we did manage to defeat Rockwell a few times without tames, which can be seen here seen here. Those battles have been among out greatest moments on the cluster.

Aside from us, the argument still stands that for the sake of their uniqueness in relation to the rest of the game, the No Taming servers deserve to remain, even if their population is very low.

6 hours ago, fr15287 said:

In our case, it is not just about moving to an unofficial server. It's not just about that there is no taming, but also the fact that it's on an official server like that, and that we managed to overcome the challenges on there. A private, unofficial server would only feel like a "game", if you see the distinction I'm trying to make.

Among other things, we did manage to defeat Rockwell a few times without tames, which can be seen here seen here. Those battles have been among out greatest moments on the cluster.

Aside from us, the argument still stands that for the sake of their uniqueness in relation to the rest of the game, the No Taming servers deserve to remain, even if their population is very low.

So, the reason why people don't want to play unofficial, is because it's not official? The other excuse I keep reading is trust. It's as if people forget that Wildcard is also made up of people too. I'm not even sure why I bother hosting then if people are going to only play the worst game experience or nothing at all.

10 hours ago, fr15287 said:

I don't see the difference you try to make between official and unofficial, both are managed by people?

I don't see why you can't do rockwell on unofficial?

There are 100s of ways you can make servers 'unique', I don't see why wildcard should host them all for a very small number of people.

Some examples of unique servers I've seen on unofficial servers:

• Highspeed daily/weekly wiping
  • Fliers only
  • Tek dinos only
  • no tribes
  • etc

9 hours ago, Sphere said:

So, the reason why people don't want to play unofficial, is because it's not official? The other excuse I keep reading is trust. It's as if people forget that Wildcard is also made up of people too. I'm not even sure why I bother hosting then if people are going to only play the worst game experience or nothing at all.

I wouldn't necessarily say that playing on the No Taming servers is a worse gaming experience than anything else. In fact, the reason for why we enjoy them so much is because they really force you to think outside the box, and be a bit more creative in how you approach things, rather than solving most issues by just taming strong enough creatures.

5 hours ago, Oli4 said:

I don't see the difference you try to make between official and unofficial, both are managed by people?

I don't see why you can't do rockwell on unofficial?

There are 100s of ways you can make servers 'unique', I don't see why wildcard should host them all for a very small number of people.

The difference between an unofficial and an official server is almost the same as comparing playing a game and real life.

If one in the community would host an unofficial server, that would just be a game, something happening within our own safe, controlled little bubble. The true challenge and gameplay experience comes from actually being able to conquer a "real" thing, such as in this case, an official server network.

As an example, I can mention that personally, I never actually enjoy the PVP aspect of the game, but rather just farm and build. Despite that, I do appreciate the realism that PVP adds in, and in the rare instance of me actually participating, it's for the sake of dealing with an actual troublemaker, rather than simply being PVP for fun or some sort of enjoyment. One could say it is paradoxical why someone such as myself would even play the game in the first place then, but I would presume the realism simply makes it all more interesting. My point with that however, is that that type of PVP is "real" to a higher degree than most other games, and could never really be recreated on an unofficial server the same way.

1 hour ago, fr15287 said:

I wouldn't necessarily say that playing on the No Taming servers is a worse gaming experience than anything else. In fact, the reason for why we enjoy them so much is because they really force you to think outside the box, and be a bit more creative in how you approach things, rather than solving most issues by just taming strong enough creatures.

The difference between an unofficial and an official server is almost the same as comparing playing a game and real life.

If one in the community would host an unofficial server, that would just be a game, something happening within our own safe, controlled little bubble. The true challenge and gameplay experience comes from actually being able to conquer a "real" thing, such as in this case, an official server network.

As an example, I can mention that personally, I never actually enjoy the PVP aspect of the game, but rather just farm and build. Despite that, I do appreciate the realism that PVP adds in, and in the rare instance of me actually participating, it's for the sake of dealing with an actual troublemaker, rather than simply being PVP for fun or some sort of enjoyment. One could say it is paradoxical why someone such as myself would even play the game in the first place then, but I would presume the realism simply makes it all more interesting. My point with that however, is that that type of PVP is "real" to a higher degree than most other games, and could never really be recreated on an unofficial server the same way.

Your first point still doesn't make sense to me, playing a game versus real life? It's both a game...

If the true challenge to you is the official network, why not play on official PVP or PVE?

Archived