New to Ark

SonicEmitter

New to Ark

So I got Ark Survival Evolved: Explorer's Edition for my ps4, and will be playing soon. I have been watching this game for quite some time, but have never took the full wallet-tearing plunge of playing it till now. I was just wondering what maps I should start with for PVP, PVE, and singleplayer. PVP won't be a serious playthrough for me, as I prefer the other two much more. Alpha tribe... ugh. In any case, I'm well versed in the game, I just need map recommendations. 

33 minutes ago, SonicEmitter said:

New to Ark

So I got Ark Survival Evolved: Explorer's Edition for my ps4, and will be playing soon. I have been watching this game for quite some time, but have never took the full wallet-tearing plunge of playing it till now. I was just wondering what maps I should start with for PVP, PVE, and singleplayer. PVP won't be a serious playthrough for me, as I prefer the other two much more. Alpha tribe... ugh. In any case, I'm well versed in the game, I just need map recommendations. 

Single player is worthless because the temptation to just cheat is always there. Oh, what's wrong? Don't want to spend a few days raising and taming? Well, just spawn them in! Maybe others can handle it but I'd get frustrated and spawn everything, then leave the game after 2 days.

PvE, bad experience. I thought the "PilLarS eVerYwhErE!" people were just noobs who didn't look hard enough..but then I went on pvE myself and it's bad. I've seen servers where 1 tribe had Ragnarok blue ob all the way to green ob pillared. (That's a long way). If you manage to find a space, some idiot will just decide to place pillars around your base so you can't build anymore. I actually had someone manage to put a pillar IN my base, making it worthless. Your location to build is very forced and not ideal.

PvP, everything isn't that bad. But the main problems are betrayal and cheaters. It's actually pretty easy to PVP but then you have the guys who DON'T want to fight and instead just mesh your base. Extremely rampant problem right now. I recently joined a tribe and it's pretty fun as long as your trust your tribe and accept NO ONE unless you are absolutely certain. I've been in countless tribes where someone decides "fk it" and demolishes everything. One of these people I played with for a whole year :( 

Some people solely play to ruin your experience and make you leave the game, or just like to inside for the fun of it, be careful. Oh, and play Ragnarok. Has everything you need. Island is too scarce in everything but metal. Center is, i guess Ragnarok 1.5. Aberration is impossible for me to play because of no flyers, and Extinction i haven't touched so couldn't tell you. 

Each map has its own appeals, personally I love to hate abberation. On this map I die so much over stupid things. Fallen through map climbing walls too many times to count, died by getting off my ravager stood still in my house quite a few times.

Love ragnarok and the island, I never really gave scorched earth a chance but I played it to complete boss, got fed up of weather.

I am challenging myself to a full play through from island to scorched to abberation and extinction, If it will ever play on Xbox without dashboarding every 10-20 mins. 

Neebs got me hooked as did tag. Both for different reasons.

Depends on your play style.  What are you looking for from ark? 

Playing with people casually?  pve official multiplayer  Gathering pets like a Pokémon Pokédex?  pve or single player  Exploring wilderness?  avoid aberration it's a hard map for starts  Do you like to go it alone?  single player  Beat other people up and strut around like u all that and get your can handed to you repeatedly?  pvp  Accomplishment orientated get err done works well with others?  unofficial multiplayer  Gets bored and quits easy and complains about everything and want your bread buttered for you?  multiplayer pve - group up with other newbs works out well and will be fun - stay polite and don't get discouraged when the big meanies (older players) don't want to help - look for free stuff set out around player's bases

4 hours ago, SonicEmitter said:

New to Ark

If you don't do a "serious" playthough on PvP then you won't do a playthrough at all. PvP in ARK is destructive, anyone less casual than you can and will wipe you and/or kill your tames and/or take your stuff. You can play PvP casually, but you will never achieve a playthrough in PvP casually.

Other than that, play the maps in order. While it's possible to "beat" ARK in a fairly short time (especially playing solo) if you want to fully enjoy all that the game has to offer rather than just doing a speed-run, start with The Island and work your way forward through each of the maps as you complete each one.

So after reading the replies, I think I've made up my mind. I will start with The Island, and will work my way from there to Extinction. And yes, PVP will just be me going around loudly preaching about Dodo Jebus, lord of the dodos. Singleplayer will be great to actually get stuff done, and PVE will be fun to just talk to other people while killing. 

A lot 

Archived