Ark doesn't feel empty like other games.

Chair Breaker

Why is Ark good (nowhere near perfect obviously, as I also have hair pulling days every time play it) or rather, why do I love it, I ask myself once again? After playing many other open world and survival games - which feel empty in comparison - my take is that Ark's world design is littered with a decent number of varied AI entities which react and behave uniquely enough to the environment, and to you. This makes navigating the world busy with potential activites (call it emergent gameplay if you will). 7 Days To Die is the only other game that comes close'ish. I'm looking forward to the next generation or the one thereafter where this concept is taken to the next level.

I'm an old school PC gamer. My first personal computing device experiences were during the early 80's when the personal computer was making its way into average homes for the first time. I played a lot during the 90's & early 2000's but then stopped after entering the IT field full time. So Ark represents a return to PC gaming for me, and its a welcome surprise to find something that goes beyond the typical mind numbing run & gun game. I can't wait to see what comes of this new PC gaming pathway. 

1 hour ago, DeHammer said:

I'm an old school PC gamer. My first personal computing device experiences were during the early 80's when the personal computer was making its way into average homes for the first time. I played a lot during the 90's & early 2000's but then stopped after entering the IT field full time. So Ark represents a return to PC gaming for me, and its a welcome surprise to find something that goes beyond the typical mind numbing run & gun game. I can't wait to see what comes of this new PC gaming pathway. 

Whether people like it or not ATLAS provided a unique platform and open world type setting that would be great once engineeed properly by a good game dev. Sorry Jeremey.

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

Whether people like it or not ATLAS provided a unique platform and open world type setting that would be great once engineeed properly by a good game dev. Sorry Jeremey.

No need to apologize to him. They are well aware they shot themselves in the foot with that one. The fact you could not even lock containers for the first few weeks speaks volumes about the rest of the game. I mean, seriously? Locking containers is like, so friggin basic a concept in a multiplayer game. Seriously.... *shakes head*

11 hours ago, Chair Breaker said:

Why is Ark good (nowhere near perfect obviously, as I also have hair pulling days every time play it) or rather, why do I love it, I ask myself once again? After playing many other open world and survival games - which feel empty in comparison - my take is that Ark's world design is littered with a decent number of varied AI entities which react and behave uniquely enough to the environment, and to you. This makes navigating the world busy with potential activites (call it emergent gameplay if you will). 7 Days To Die is the only other game that comes close'ish. I'm looking forward to the next generation or the one thereafter where this concept is taken to the next level.

The one game out there that I like to compare ark with is Life is Feudal: Your Own.

That game is so friggin awesome. I mean, damn... so friggin awesome. Anyone who plays Ark would LOVE that game, except it is empty. You may or may not run into an animal while out in the woods. If you are trying to tame an animal, there is no running around killing things to make a high level spawn...... its more like running around for hours just trying to find one. So sad.... very awesome game, but while you say Ark does not feel empty, you can point and say "Like that game" at LiF. Very, very good comparison.

i think arks main appeals comes from hoarding

its also a very grindy game so for people that dont mind repetitive tasks  to accomplish a goal

for me i  really like dinosaurs so it fun to be able to stomp around on a rex or giga

i think trying to have every dino have a unique role and purpose is a flawed idea they should just add variety for variety sake

they could have 5 other dino very similar to rexes and just have them live in different bioms maybe have their stats be slighting different is enough 

like a giga doesnt need to be this monster mega beast it can just be a rex clone maybe have it melee slightly higher and lower stam but it would be pretty much a rex 

but ark right now is empty if u compare it to a few years ago 

7 hours ago, JSacra said:

No need to apologize to him. They are well aware they shot themselves in the foot with that one. The fact you could not even lock containers for the first few weeks speaks volumes about the rest of the game. I mean, seriously? Locking containers is like, so friggin basic a concept in a multiplayer game. Seriously.... *shakes head*

you couldn't lock containers on Ark for like the first 8 months. Only the storage boxes locked if I remember right, fridges, smithys, gennys, fabs, forge, mortar and pestil and preserving bins were not lockable. Oh and troughs, we literally had to build newbie huts for our troughs in order to keep people from stealing the food for dinos.

2 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

you couldn't lock containers on Ark for like the first 8 months. Only the storage boxes locked if I remember right, fridges, smithys, gennys, fabs, forge, mortar and pestil and preserving bins were not lockable. Oh and troughs, we literally had to build newbie huts for our troughs in order to keep people from stealing the food for dinos.

First game and gaming code is understandable but they've said they learned so much from their work on Ark yet Atlas showed a lot of the same old flaws, alpha/beta or not.

Archived