Advice for Boss Fights

Jagovenator

I recently passed level 90 in game, and have been thinking that at this point, I should be getting ready for boss fights. Problem is, I don't know where to begin, and I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but in doing so, I don't have a really good idea of how to prepare  and what I'd need, so I was hoping for some spoiler-free suggestions on what sort of equipment and stats I'd need for fighting the bosses.

I've seen some videos where people have a whole bunch of insane leveled Tyrannosaurus for boss fights. Is this needed? I personally don't care for Tyrannosaurus, and would rather not have to tame and maintain a dinosaur type I'm not fond of just to win a boss fight. Are there any other options besides Tyrannosaurus? Moreover, do your animals have to be at crazy high levels? I've seen videos with creatures at level 300+. It would take me ages of grinding to get levels like that, even with my Argentavis pair, who are my best fighters at levels 80 and 98. I use those to take down alphas, but I feel like alphas are significantly weaker than bosses. I also have a level 60 Yutyrannus and found a wild level 32 Yutyrannus that I want to tame up. Could I get away with fighting bosses with high level wild caught animals like that, or is breeding to level 300+ necessary? I'd really rather not spend the next five years of my free time on call to baby dinosaurs that take ages to raise just for a boss fight.

Moreover, what should my character's stats be? Currently, at level 91 I've got Health at 220, Stamina at 200, Oxygen at 100, Food at 100, Water at 100, Weight at 350, Melee at 100, Movement Speed at 142, Crafting Skill at 100, and Fortitude at 30. Am I going to have to reset my stats and pour everything into Health and Stamina or whatever? Or are my stats good for now? Am I going to need expensive weapons like the assault rifle? I already have a flamethrower, but I haven't used it, and have no idea if it would be good for bosses. What kind of armor do I need? Also, are there any tips on getting really high quality armor that I see some people wearing in videos? The highest quality I've ever seen is Apprentice, and even then that's an incredibly rare drop. Usually supply drops give me building materials and the same weapon attachments I've gotten fifty times before, so those aren't very useful. Do I just need to keep hunting alphas until I've got something good?

You are not close to being prepared. Sounds like your wild level is low.. you want official settings for this - 150 max wild tames out to 224 max so 300 leveled tames isnt a big stretch. Without too many spoilers Therizino are good for bosses and Yuty are good aswell for their abilities (1 for the buff) Most other tames arent good enough realisically and you cant bring fliers.

34 minutes ago, d1nk said:

You are not close to being prepared. Sounds like your wild level is low.. you want official settings for this - 150 max wild tames out to 224 max so 300 leveled tames isnt a big stretch. Without too many spoilers Therizino are good for bosses and Yuty are good aswell for their abilities (1 for the buff) Most other tames arent good enough realisically and you cant bring fliers.

yeah, but if he's on the island, he still f'ed wild dino level wise

5 hours ago, d1nk said:

From what I've read, raising the wild spawn level requires me to set the difficulty higher. Does raising the difficulty affect the boss fight? I was hesitant to do this because I'm pretty sure that the high difficulty setting on officials is meant to facilitate teamwork within tribes. Since I'm playing alone, an exponential increase in boss difficulty seems risky. Could I set the difficulty higher and then turn it down to default when I'm ready to fight the bosses, or would that mess up stats and spawning? I've been really hesitant to fiddle with the options that modify stats in the middle of a campaign in case they break my world. I don't want to have to reset and lose everything.

1 minute ago, Jagovenator said:

From what I've read, raising the wild spawn level requires me to set the difficulty higher. Does raising the difficulty affect the boss fight? I was hesitant to do this because I'm pretty sure that the high difficulty setting on officials is meant to facilitate teamwork within tribes. Since I'm playing alone, an exponential increase in boss difficulty seems risky. Could I set the difficulty higher and then turn it down to default when I'm ready to fight the bosses, or would that mess up stats and spawning? I've been really hesitant to fiddle with the options that modify stats in the middle of a campaign in case they break my world. I don't want to have to reset and lose everything.

You don't need to increase the difficulty setting, which does effect the boss difficulty.

You need to kibble tame max/near max dinos. Get the best stats you can. This may take several tames to get. Breed these stats into one bloodline. From there breed for mutations. Finally get fully imprinted boss battle team with good saddles.

22 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

You don't need to increase the difficulty setting, which does effect the boss difficulty.

You need to kibble tame max/near max dinos. Get the best stats you can. This may take several tames to get. Breed these stats into one bloodline. From there breed for mutations. Finally get fully imprinted boss battle team with good saddles.

His max wild is 60

4 hours ago, d1nk said:

His max wild is 60

I play with default settings, so my max wild is, I believe, 40, though I've only seen wilds up to 36. I just tame them with vegetables and prime meat, then sometimes kibble when I have the resources. I only recently got enough female creatures to feasibly start crafting kibble though. As long as I get high taming effectiveness, I can boost level 30+ to level 50+, and the rest is just taking them out hunting.

I feel you on the stamina issue though. Argentavis is fine, but for other fliers, it's either fly slow or land every ten meters to rest. I really want a wyvern, but I'm looking at a long time minmaxing a Pteranodon for that.

One thing I don't understand though is where do I find good saddles? Supply drops seem mostly useless, and I've never gotten a saddle from killing an alpha, which is how I usually get better gear. As I said before, I've never gotten anything in higher quality than apprentice.

So my best option is still breeding? That's annoying since breeding Dilophosaurus requires me to sit around and watch the clock for 45 minutes if I want to imprint it. I always get bored and wander off, only to come back and see 0% imprinting on the adult. I hear tell that some imprints take real time days, which I'm not looking forward to. I was hoping that I'd be able to beat the bosses before I hit level 100 so I don't spend a lot of time stuck at a cap.

I really wish there was more info on how to progress in single player.

22 minutes ago, Jagovenator said:

I play with default settings, so my max wild is, I believe, 40, though I've only seen wilds up to 36. I just tame them with vegetables and prime meat, then sometimes kibble when I have the resources. I only recently got enough female creatures to feasibly start crafting kibble though. As long as I get high taming effectiveness, I can boost level 30+ to level 50+, and the rest is just taking them out hunting.

I feel you on the stamina issue though. Argentavis is fine, but for other fliers, it's either fly slow or land every ten meters to rest. I really want a wyvern, but I'm looking at a long time minmaxing a Pteranodon for that.

One thing I don't understand though is where do I find good saddles? Supply drops seem mostly useless, and I've never gotten a saddle from killing an alpha, which is how I usually get better gear. As I said before, I've never gotten anything in higher quality than apprentice.

So my best option is still breeding? That's annoying since breeding Dilophosaurus requires me to sit around and watch the clock for 45 minutes if I want to imprint it. I always get bored and wander off, only to come back and see 0% imprinting on the adult. I hear tell that some imprints take real time days, which I'm not looking forward to. I was hoping that I'd be able to beat the bosses before I hit level 100 so I don't spend a lot of time stuck at a cap.

You progress the same way as in multiplayer....just harder, cuz things don't grow while you're offline ( i.e. crops ).

Your best bet is to get rexes, breed them and (attempt to ) kill the bosses with them. You could get away with Therizinos for most part, but they're harder to breed. I do use megatheriums for the Broodmother and they work just fine. All of those need a Yuti and optionally a pig for extra heals.

And while you can do all this with just tamed dinos, it won't get you farther than gamma ( the easiest bosses ) bosses. Like it or not, dino breeding is the way you need to go to progress in the game. Your character stats are largely irrelevant for most of the boss fights.

On the saddles part - you will have to run the caves anyway ( for the boss artifacts ) - that's where you get your saddle BP's from.

Oh and yea, i would scrap the idea of beating all the bosses before level 100 - those levels mean nothing in the game. The things you need to achieve to beat the bosses will take a while longer than reaching lvl 100.

3 hours ago, Jagovenator said:

In Single player mode you can adjust some of the settings like the breeding settings. Also, set a timer for imprints. 

But until you kibble tame some really good breeders (RNG is usually not in your favor) and combine all the high stats into 1 bloodline. No point in imprinting everything.

Do you have cave dinos to get the artifacts? If not,  you have no way to even start the boss fight. Tame and breed cave mounts.

Watch Phlinger Phoo's soloing the Ark series on YT. Great guide to SP or just soloing. 

47 minutes ago, HobboJoe said:

Noob here, just curious is the wild dinosaur lol cap higher on other maps?  Offical of course.

it's not that the level cap is different, it's just that absolutely NOTHING high level spawns on the Island for some stupid reason. I have the same level settings (as i'm on single player) and i found 4-5 130+ pteranodons in like 10 minutes on ragnorak, whereas on the Island, i have never found one above level 100, it's absolutely f-ing annoying

1 minute ago, Techsupport said:

it's not that the level cap is different, it's just that absolutely NOTHING high level spawns on the Island for some stupid reason. I have the same level settings (as i'm on single player) and i found 4-5 130+ pteranodons in like 10 minutes on ragnorak, whereas on the Island, i have never found one above level 100, it's absolutely f-ing annoying

It because Rag was introduced as a DLC map without standardizing the wild dino distribution.

Archived