This Game is a Mess

Humana

On 5/25/2019 at 5:59 AM, Humana said:

I have over 48 days play time before anyone accuses me of just being a newb.

My issue isn't with PVP it's balance.

48 days isn't that long, just so you know. I've been playing almost 6 months now and I'm still a newb in some respects. 

Your issue is that you are expecting a survival game based on progression to be balanced. Sorry, you need to earn your way, regardless of whether you play PvP or PvE. It's all about progression. If PvP is too harsh for you, and you like consistent progression without much interference, then try a nice private PvE server. 

On 5/27/2019 at 10:04 PM, Kaprosuchus said:

As others have mentioned, it has always had sci-fi elements.

It has always been unclear what the actual story was up until it wasn't but most people assumed it would be sci-fi and the game has had guns forever now so that kind of shuts down the "i thought i was gonna be a neanderthal" idea.

arguing that one non existent fantasy creature shouldn't be with other non existent creatures is a strange place to draw your line in the sand.  being eaten by a t-rex, or a dragon wielding two unicorns tied together by their tails like nunchaku is really the same to me as they are both fantastical things that do not exist and would scare the crap out of me.

Not to mention you wake up with a freaking implant in your arm. Literally the very first thing you see. 'Hello!'

18 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

48 days isn't that long, just so you know. I've been playing almost 6 months now and I'm still a newb in some respects. 

Your issue is that you are expecting a survival game based on progression to be balanced. Sorry, you need to earn your way, regardless of whether you play PvP or PvE. It's all about progression. If PvP is too harsh for you, and you like consistent progression without much interference, then try a nice private PvE server. 

Maybe he means his play time is 1152 hours (48 days) ? Would be something but still not thaaat much for ark. 

On 5/27/2019 at 5:44 AM, DoughBoy93 said:

I brought the game as a dinosaur survival game. Ended up with a sci fi shooter with aliens,mythical creatures and freaking laser beams!

If you buy chow mein without paying attention and expected it to be spaghetti, don't run around complaining that you got crappy Italian food.

On 5/28/2019 at 12:51 AM, TheDonn said:

The majority of PvP on Official PvP servers is the Call of Duty style.  It is one person with a strong dino, and that one person roams the map killing everything they can find.  It is partly the fault of YouTube people like Apex, HOD, or any of the other 100% COD-style skirmish PvP players

The irony of what you bring up is you actually showing evidence that supports my point and counters yours. Look at HOD gaming videos about ark. He is raiding for resources!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB37UCkuTfA

Looking for vaults of resources

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yl0pLN2vv4

Looking for purlovia full of resources

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn4mkeQ6UdA

Video about getting the biggest LOOT stash from a raid

How about more recent ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hrr1nD3z7A

Finding hidden stashes of loot.

Again, this is a pvper YOU brought up. YOU brought him up to show he isn't looting for mats rather for lolz. And his recorded actions directly debunks your claims. You should vet your sources a little bit better....

You also can't "out-hard" a tribe from raiding you.  I saw a metal 2x2x2 base with 10 heavy turrets and 5-6 Plant-X, surrounded with metal spikewalls, still raided.  The Plants were still all grown which means the base was taken down when it was all still active.  It was an insanely tightly built base, and it still had a hole in the side of it nonetheless.

If you think that is the definition of a well defended base then I now see you have no qualification to speak on the subject of pvp.

There is a point where you become a "fun" target, and the cost of raiding you becomes secondary next to the knowledge that you will piss this person off that has massively overbuilt a 2x2.

This is exactly what I am talking about. You are not qualified to talk about pvp. You cover your eyes to your own observations so you can hold your opinion as wrong as it is. The plants were still grown and the base had a hole in the side of it. So the base wasn't foundation wiped rather breached with a surgical strike. The plants were still there thus they weren't drained. Draining turrets costs nothing. But they spent resources that have a real cost. Why? They did it because they wanted the heavy turret ammo. You can't loot it if the turrets shot it. They could have drained the turrets with a rock ele then foundation wiped the base with an arthro and cost them nothing. Then laughed at the victims all day long if that is what they were after.

But it wasn't.

They wanted loot...

Once again you provide evidence thinking it supports your claims when it does the opposite. 

I agree that PvP isn't the problem in Ark. The problem is TERRIBLE dev balancing and utterly toxic players. A managarmr should NOT be able to both tank 10 turrets while also using its broken ice beam (which by the way can freeze like 90% of the dinos in the game). I feel as though Ark is leaning towards the fastest money grab they can get while putting Official PvP as the last thing that should be worried about. It really is a let down when such a great game conceptually can fall flat on its face so hard simply due to greedy game development and a toxic community..

On 5/25/2019 at 8:59 AM, Humana said:

I know people are gonna say "that's PVP" but it's not, when there is no risk and no challenge to the raid that's not PVP that's punching down

PvP in ARK is 99% punching down. I don't like it any more than you do but that's simply the reality of how the game works.

That's how it is in any game where the PvP is destructive, no one wants to lose the things they have spent hundreds of hours building so they essentially are forced to prevent anyone else from reaching their level because a fair fight is the last thing you ever want to allow in destructive PvP. This is true in every game with destructive PvP, not just ARK. The only way to have a game with fair PvP is to build the game with fairness as a core value from the game publisher, and that isn't this game.

On 5/27/2019 at 10:21 AM, ArkafterDark said:

So what if when you started out in ark, you got a shield that protected you from being attacked for 1 week. After which you can be attacked.

It wouldn't matter. The only tribes that could build up enough in a week would be mega-tribes, and those are exactly the people you don't want the game to protect.

On 5/29/2019 at 11:23 AM, acat said:

Calm down mate, i read everything you said and i think you are either new to ark or to pvp. If it is once per tribe, i just make a new tribe with an alt char, keep my main tribe with my main char and abuse the invincible base of my alt. If it is once per player, it would have to be bound to the steam profile (on pc at least). In that case you could never start new on another server, at least not with the protection. Once a noob joins an official pvp server he wastes his bubble, before he even knows how the game works. Could he then join the tribe of his mates later on if they are currently having an active bubble? Could a new player, who joins an old tribe, before he made an own tribe and used up his bubble, have an own bubble if he leaves said tribe again? There are many problems with a personal right for a bubble in correlation with arks tribe gameplay. On top of that the one time use mechanic would have to be explained to new players so that they dont „waste“ it without knowing the game. Big tribes could just buy a few copies of ark when its on sale and could still abuse it whenever they want. You cant stop items from other tribes being taken into the bubble, the game doesnt know if an item was owned by somebody else before.

I dont want to fight with you, i think it is good if people have ideas and suggestions and share them. I just dont see your idea working out on official pvp, there are too many questions unanswered. 

I'm sorry I had a really bad day yesterday. :(☹️

On 5/29/2019 at 11:23 AM, acat said:

Calm down mate, i read everything you said and i think you are either new to ark or to pvp.

I actually don't even play online so your right I am new to pvp. Definitely not new to ark though.

I just thought if it works in games you can play on your phone once, unless you pay for an premium account (which ark doesn't have) which is when they sometimes give extra timers.

On 5/29/2019 at 6:15 PM, johnm81 said:

Once again you provide evidence thinking it supports your claims when it does the opposite. 

Sorry John, we won't agree here.  I've never been an Official server Alpha, but that doesn't mean I don't have experience.  I DO agree that I almost countered my own argument, if not for the way I wrote it (which if you re-read you'll maybe get what I mean).  I chose my words carefully because I wanted to be clear.

But the following is a very important point that I believe wholeheartedly about Official PvP from my experience on Official and Unofficial:

Looting people's bases is secondary for the majority of the ARK PvP I have been part of and I guess, victim of on Official PvP servers.  It's about causing mayhem.  People are sausages, John.  Look at Official PvE.  People do -EVERYTHING THEY raptorING CAN- to screw with people while staying under the radar of the GMs and the CoC-abuse report form.  Yet Official PvP, with its nearly unlimited currency available for screwing with people, is full of calculating and strategizing players who would never want to cause anyone grief (not "griefers" but cause grief in the sense of "give people a hard time because lol")?

Bullpoop.  You raise some good points, though, that make me think about how I look at PvP, but the above is for me an inescapable truth.

22 hours ago, TheDonn said:

Sorry John, we won't agree here.  I've never been an Official server Alpha, but that doesn't mean I don't have experience.  I DO agree that I almost countered my own argument, if not for the way I wrote it (which if you re-read you'll maybe get what I mean).  I chose my words carefully because I wanted to be clear.

But the following is a very important point that I believe wholeheartedly about Official PvP from my experience on Official and Unofficial:

Looting people's bases is secondary for the majority of the ARK PvP I have been part of and I guess, victim of on Official PvP servers.  It's about causing mayhem.  People are sausages, John.  Look at Official PvE.  People do -EVERYTHING THEY raptorING CAN- to screw with people while staying under the radar of the GMs and the CoC-abuse report form.  Yet Official PvP, with its nearly unlimited currency available for screwing with people, is full of calculating and strategizing players who would never want to cause anyone grief (not "griefers" but cause grief in the sense of "give people a hard time because lol")?

Bullpoop.  You raise some good points, though, that make me think about how I look at PvP, but the above is for me an inescapable truth.

You are creating a straw man argument here. I never said ALL pvp is for the loot. I have seen pvpers do it for laughs for egos for genuine hatred of a person.

I did say the majority is for a calculated loot income.

And yes I know people are innate jerks and evil by their base nature but this isnt the reason they kill for no reason. It is the reason they steal from other vs farm for themselves ala lord of the flies mentality.

21 hours ago, johnm81 said:

You are creating a straw man argument here. I never said ALL pvp is for the loot. I have seen pvpers do it for laughs for egos for genuine hatred of a person.

I did say the majority is for a calculated loot income.

And yes I know people are innate jerks and evil by their base nature but this isnt the reason they kill for no reason. It is the reason they steal from other vs farm for themselves ala lord of the flies mentality.

I just added support on to my original point with a new angle/thought/point-of-view.  I am not arguing against something you never said.  You think the (let's use the new definition you gave) majority of PvP on official is about loot.  I say mostly it is about mayhem (and I never said it is NEVER about loot).  I say the state of official PvP is partly the -FAULT- of YouTubers that put up videos of them finding Purlovia stashes (drawing from their example of what ARK PvPers see when they watch the most popular YouTube PvP channels).  I am not saying, "These videos are exactly what official PvP is," and I was never saying that (if you drew that conclusion, I cannot control that).

From my experience on SmallTribes, Official, and Conquest PvP, the majority of raiding is about causing mayhem and pissing people off.  That is not your experience.  Maybe my experience would be different if I was in a megatribe?  But as it stands now, you and I are on two vastly different levels in terms of perspective and this is why it looks different for me.  I can't play the required amount of hours straight to get all metal and filled turrets so the small-time mayhem raids will stop happening and I can log out for a night, and expect my crap to be there.  And you're telling me that (this isn't strawman, this is again more support through application of examples) a megatribe that is active on the server sees a 100% unknown base pop up that is small as crap and thinks, "Hmm we must strategize about mayhaps what is in that tiny piece of poop base?"  I have a really hard time believing that, and I'm sure you would say, "That's exactly what we would discuss," but that is the lens through which you view ARK.  That is a luxury I have never had on official, partly because it is so active with mayhem it is hard to get started if, like I said earlier, you don't have a good amount of time to commit to the initial leveling/farming push to get hardened up.

Archived