Otter Mutation Farm vs. Code of Conduct

stevealicious

Hello,

My tribemate and I are avid otter breeders and we are at a point with the project where we would like to mutate the 47+ stats we have. Our count of wild tamed females was over 250 the last time I checked and all would be used for mutations. Considering we will have so many "shoulder pet" dinos down, we are worried we will be violating the Code of Conduct, specifically the following portion:

Intentionally filling the server tame limit via spamming tames (such as Dodo, Jerboa, or easy to ‘tame and maintain’ dinos) and/or rafts

There have been reports on the forums here for tribes receiving punishment via wipes for large quantities of other shoulder dinos like glowpets, but its hard to distinguish fact from fiction in an open forum like this. It would be devastating to lose all that hard work between stats (300+ level clean) and event colors. Would love to hear some feedback on this topic, if any mods or GM's have some input that would be appreciated too!

It is perfectly OK for someone to have 100 rex, but I have seen reports on here and reddit with tribes being wiped for breeding 50 pets.

I believe it has to do with the GM who responds to the ticket. If that GM likes otters, you are safe. I giggle while I write this, but also shake my head because I firmly believe it to be truth.

8 minutes ago, Rogero said:

I am in the same situation with my vultures, when I read the post before about wiping tribes for light pets I cryod most of mine.

Would be good to hear a GM here , maybe breeding for mutations with many dinos is not ok? 

All of my event vultures are in cryo. Same with jerboa, monkeys and everything else. I am waiting for someone from a large tribe that the devs hangs out with to run into an issue. Once that happens, maybe they will clarify the wording and or enforcement ?

A tribe at tame cap can continue breeding all day long, as long as they manage their cap.

Someone with 100 dinos has to worry about breeding 20 jerboa, because a dev might wipe their base.

Something just does not feel right about that. I cannot put my finger on it, but something just does not seem right.

• Volunteer Moderator

I have only heard of one instance where a tribe was wiped for spam-breeding small pets. Nobody knows the details of that event but the CoC staff. I wouldn't for a second listen to anything a rando on the internet who just got dev wiped has to say. I know they do investigate and perform due diligence on the issue.

Here's the deal. I'm pretty sure it's easy for the CoC guys to distinguish between a tribe that is legitimately breeding dinos for stats/colors and one that is not.

@stevealicious I"m with you, though I am only at just around 200 otters myself.

Anyone who has otters knows they are not easy to maintain.  Only eating fish, have a consumption rate similar to a giga for their base food stat.  You have to feed them twice a week if you want to ensure they don't starve.

But yea I am in the same boat, I had to unpod all of mine so I could get a good count and be able to pod them with the current pod logic (they were podded before the pods even showed stats) and to let them get off CD.  I put billboards up around them hoping not to get reported, and the server was not capped when I had them out.  But yea it is a gamble.  If I were you I would reach out to support and get a direct response from them on the situation or maybe Jen or Cedric could direct you to an answer quicker.

Unfortunately though even if Jen/Cedric verified it is fine, I have found that CoC items that leave room for interpretation can get interpreted differently depending on who has the case.

Appreciate the support and feedback guys. I think there were some valid points made about CoC being able to distinguish between dino spamming vs legit breeding and as well as otters falling under the category of not being easy to maintain. Definitely feel a lot better about this and we'll probably make the arrangements to begin.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, MIsterMayhem said:

Let me ask you a simple question.

Do you play on official servers. Or do you play on your own unofficial server?

And in any case why would you, as a ark forum moderator, have anything to worry about as far as this goes?

I doubt you will know the true fear of spending thousands of hours into breeding to only have your tribe wiped for CoC reasons.

Without warning.

Full dev wipe while offline.

So again, beyond monitoring the post for your moderator reasons it’s hard to take your word for it. 

I’ve never played anything but officials. Playing on official PvP at the moment. 

I’ve spent thousands of hours on officials. I’ve never feared being dev wiped as I’ve never exploited the game. 

That said. If I did, being a volunteer moderator, not an employee of WildCard I can assure you I wouldn’t be treated any different than current cheaters are. 

Forgive me if I can’t be bothered if you take my word for it or not. 

1 hour ago, MIsterMayhem said:

Let me ask you a simple question.

Do you play on official servers. Or do you play on your own unofficial server?

And in any case why would you, as a ark forum moderator, have anything to worry about as far as this goes?

I doubt you will know the true fear of spending thousands of hours into breeding to only have your tribe wiped for CoC reasons.

Without warning.

Full dev wipe while offline.

So again, beyond monitoring the post for your moderator reasons it’s hard to take your word for it. 

Forum mods arent employees of WC or anything. They're volunteers and just regular people. They dont get any special treatment ingame or anything lol.

4 hours ago, arathein said:

@stevealicious

Unfortunately though even if Jen/Cedric verified it is fine, I have found that CoC items that leave room for interpretation can get interpreted differently depending on who has the case.

This is the single biggest threat to anyone mass breeding pets. Jen can say its fine but the CoC team could interpret it as not and you will be wiped. 

Sure, they might investigate into it but with good enough stories (the people reporting you) its easy to get opinions skewed and bias.

Archived