SP settings: bosses with low level dinosaurs and gear?

Nyrin

Hey everyone,

Playing my own Single Player dedicated server and I started off with all the default suggested settings—settings that included the 0.2 difficulty offset that makes the wild max on the island 36.

I learned pretty quickly that having my bred tames start out in the 50s was probably going to make my life MORE difficult rather than less difficult by the end, but I figured the really big boss nerfs would even it out.

Now, as I'm doing the caves, collecting underwater crates, and otherwise gearing up, I'm also realizing just how the ceiling is on the loot quality; 150% items seem very rare, let alone anything higher.

Anyone have any experience doing the (much easier) single player bosses with the (much weaker) combination of low-level dinosaurs and low-quality loot? Can you actually complete content with that configuration? I'm trying to decide if I should reset everything with 1.0, just crank the loot quality multiplier to compensate, or leave things as-is.

I ultimately still want things to be challenging "for a casual." I don't want to feel like I could have just brought 5 unsaddled wild tames into an arena and win, but I also don't want to feel like I have no chance against a beta boss unless I've bred a perfectly-mutated high level line of superdinos all outfitted with ascendant, either.

Thanks! I was very surprised to not find any stories of people really trying things out with the seemingly weird defaults that come with single player.

Right; my understanding is that it's level 1 bosses with 66% reduced effective health and damage, which will definitely be a LOT easier than official.

But the bred dinosaurs, coming out to level 110 or so even after a whole bunch of leveling, are a LOT weaker, too. And then they're going to have crappy saddles to top it off.

I just haven't seen any detailed accounts of people actually running bosses with this setup (the dinosaurs and loot you get with 0.2 offset / 1.2 final difficulty) and what it took them to succeed.

Cranking the loot multiplier is definitely an option and it seems like the least destructive. I'm just curious if it's enough or too much to keep the game in the fairly large "Goldilocks zone" of real challenge.

Honestly I think you'll have a fun challenge ahead of you. The bosses being so much weaker and easier will offset your level difisadvanta and your saddle levels (I assume youll top out at.. 60 arm saddles) dont forget there are a few things you can do that are ingame without console commands to boost your chances:

- Bred boost (rider bonus / 20% stat boost) 

- Yutytrannus buff (manditory for all bosses)

- A big one to balance your play; Crafting bonus. Craft your top end bps/saddles with full crafting skill to further increase your effectiveness. Maybe this is the feature you can boost? Would be absolute least game affecting with still balancing

Thanks, d1nk. That's a good point; keeping things this way might actually make the potentially way too easy SP bosses a bit more of a challenge. Especially if the bosses stay stuck at level 1, getting much higher level tames AND better saddles would almost certainly tip things way too far.

I finally found a potentially useful saddle bp (blue, 48 armor zino) that might start directing the breeding program in a different direction. No Rex saddle at all yet, with my highest being a 51 armor journeyman pteranodon bp (pteros unfortunately not very useful with low levels since their stamina growth is so bad).

Using crafting bonus as a leveler is an interesting idea. I'll have to see how those numbers work out and be careful not to go too crazy; mindwipe/focal crafting a 100+ armor saddle from that 48 armor bp would definitely be game-breaking, but maybe 60-something on the high end could work.

Given the lack of direct experience anyone seems to have with the weird-as-hell SP defaults, I guess all that's left is to just start trying a few things. Plenty of prep left with caves and breeding, but I'll try to update later on for posterity in case anyone is trying the same setup.

No experience here either, I moved to Official settings when I realized WHY dino level was set to 150... makes Kibble relevant.

I'm not sure what Consumption Multiplier is on SP but Dododex shows max level Anky and Yutyrannus gaining ZERO additional levels from Kibble versus their favorite food. Takes a little less time though.

Given that the farm was a large part of my fun I opted to use Official settings, although I'll have to toy with breeding and imprinting times I hear. Those get silly apparently.

Archived