Which atlas features would you want in ARK?

Which atlas features would you want in ARK?

Which atlas features would you like to see imported in to Ark (not to say they ever will be, I mean atlas was basically the update for ark boats, then someone in marketing said, hey let's just generate a bunch of random islands, re-skin like 10% of the game, and call it a new game... so they would probably make ark 3.0 to join all the features) if any at all?

Personally :

-Not having to hold W to move my boat

-Combat Skills/buffs

-Player owned stores

1 hour ago, Anarki said:

I'm going to ask a really dumb question, but I have always been told that no questions are dumb?

What do you define as 'Proper' AI?

What they have there now does work. I'm just saying, there are little things that make something come to life. Little quirks that a life form does that makes it appear as a living thing.

I would like an implementation (sort of) of the land ownership flags, I would like it changed slightly to only allow 1 per player and have a radius of 1.5 times the no build zone of the Tek Generator.

• Remove all other structure no build zones and only have the flag
  • Anything inside the flags zone has decay timer as though it was multiple structures snapped together
  • Anything outside the flags zone has decay timer as though nothing was snapped to it
  • When in a tribe you share flag zones which enables players to build big bases or multiple bases in different locations, if you leave the tribe your flag is automatically returned to your inventory
  • I feel this would greatly improve pillar spam (as there would be no reason for it as it wouldn't achieve anything) and because of this it would also improve FPS

1 hour ago, WilliamMichell said:

I would like an implementation (sort of) of the land ownership flags, I would like it changed slightly to only allow 1 per player and have a radius of 1.5 times the no build zone of the Tek Generator.

• Remove all other structure no build zones and only have the flag
  • Anything inside the flags zone has decay timer as though it was multiple structures snapped together
  • Anything outside the flags zone has decay timer as though nothing was snapped to it
  • When in a tribe you share flag zones which enables players to build big bases or multiple bases in different locations, if you leave the tribe your flag is automatically returned to your inventory
  • I feel this would greatly improve pillar spam (as there would be no reason for it as it wouldn't achieve anything) and because of this it would also improve FPS

But doesnt that eliminate the whole purpose of the game? Sandbox.

3 hours ago, d1nk said:

But doesnt that eliminate the whole purpose of the game? Sandbox.

no. Players can still build anywhere they like but if its outside of your "flagged" or "claimed" land so can anyone else.

I can only comment from a PVE perspective but I know from experience there are some servers a new player can not play on simply because there are pillars or bases everywhere. You would be lucky to get a 1x1x1 box up and being on PVE you have no way to destroy those pillars to make space for yourself.

My suggestion is only slightly limiting, it doesn't stop anyone from building anywhere (outside of a players single claimed bit of land) however it does stop people from building everywhere to stop others from building.

@WilliamMichell I am actually working on a mod that does something along those lines now i can contact you once i have it up and running. essentially it allows a player to craft a flag that grants things in it's radius normal decay timers. one per tribe, if you merge with someone the extra flags are destroyed. everything out of your tribe's flag radius uses the unsnapped pillar timer a few hours at most.  not really working right at the moment but i am trying :P

1 minute ago, Kaprosuchus said:

@williammichell I am actually working on a mod that does something along those lines now i can contact you once i have it up and running. essentially it allows a player to craft a flag that grants things in it's radius normal decay timers. one per tribe, if you merge with someone the extra flags are destroyed. everything out of your tribe's flag radius uses the unsnapped pillar timer a few hours at most.  not really working right at the moment but i am trying :P

Thats cool @Kaprosuchus but I think limiting the flags to 1 per tribe is too restrictive especially those with big tribes.

Unfortunately I am an XBox Player so wouldn't be able to test or use your mod though :(

I agree with WilliamMichell, a claiming system would really help out on the official servers.  If you allow one claim flag per person, you have plenty of space. You can claim larger areas if you have more tribe members. 

It would be a dream come true and would help much more than the new kibble system. It would actually work in conjunction with the kibble system. People would figure out that they don't need as much space as they think. 

Also, I would love a building system more like Atlas.  You don't have to mess around with so many engrams.  A wall converts to many things.

13 hours ago, Anarki said:

I'm going to ask a really dumb question, but I have always been told that no questions are dumb?

What do you define as 'Proper' AI?

Path finding is a big one. the fact that they just run at you in a straight line makes stuff really easy to trap. is a bit immersion breaking, feel like your using an exploit half the time

22 hours ago, d1nk said:

Like tail wagging and head moving ?

Those are animations.  AI as in everything doesn't aggro you immediately no matter what you're on from insane ranges is what he means. It's bland and there's no deviation in this behavior other than the passive mobs.  AI as in they interact with each other like land dinos do instead of all joining "raptor that player" team. I'd like to see Megalodons prey on Ichthys, maybe even with a cooldown when they eat one where they're more docile.  I'd like to see Plesiosaurs and Ichthys attack Ceolacanths. Stuff like that. Harvestable kelp forests that some underwater herbivorous mobs will eat. There's so much more that could be done with underwater for an underwater ark.

14 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Anychance we could get this translated into English for those of us that dont know computer speak ? 

When you travel in ark, then your player profile is stored as file in the servers cluster directory.

When you travel in ATLAS, the player profile is stored in a "Redis Database" (Use Google). Redis Database is much more performant and much more fail save.

14 hours ago, Toni said:

When you travel in ark, then your player profile is stored as file in the servers cluster directory.

When you travel in ATLAS, the player profile is stored in a "Redis Database" (Use Google). Redis Database is much more performant and much more fail save.

With a Redis database travel system this whole mess of lost characters in the last patch would have not happened. All your info would be safe on the database instead of on a file that was erased (who does that?????) when the servers rolled back.

Atlas also have a better building implementation light years ahead of the homestead update.

Archived